Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > welfare suggestions for single parents - your ideas.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lets fish!
Msg: 1
welfare suggestions for single parents - your ideas.Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
OK, this thread will be bound to appeal to a few bitter people out there, but Im curious to know, WHAT are your idea's on how, we, AS tax payers, should be helping those in these situations?

It varies from country to country and everyone has an opinion. So, rather than carry on like a 2 bob watch without any rational thought, Id like to read some real and cleverly thought out solutions.

In Australia, we have a 'single parenting payment', which is payable until the youngest child turns 8. But from the age your youngest turns 6, you are required to either work at least 15 hours a week, look for work, or study UNLESS you have other issues going on such as medical problems or major caring responsibilities (all of which must be proven by a doctor AND a government 'job capacity assessor' whom is medically qualified to do so.

Once your child turns 8, if you are still unemployed or not studying, you will then have to claim Newstart Allowance (the dole), or, if studying full time in an APPROVED course (i.e: NOT faith healing in an outback shack by an unqualified fool), then you would need to claim a student subsidy payment.

Remember, you need to QUALIFY for the payment first and this is income and asset tested.

There are of course many variables in these situations and many people that think its unfair on both sides of the fence.

What are the basics in your country?

What are your suggestions for a better and fairer system for everyone?
 Strings6
Msg: 2
view profile
History
welfare suggestions for single parents - your ideas.
Posted: 12/10/2009 4:07:23 PM
Bitter?...oh you mean those people who take resonsability for their lives and choices vs those who don't
 lets fish!
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/10/2009 4:10:56 PM
both sides Strings6, I work within the industry AND I'm a single parent so I get BOTH sides flaming me on a daily basis.
Believe me, I get bitter tax payers telling me off as though I can wave a magic wand and fix it AND I get single parents telling me off as though I should pay them extra from my own pocket.

I would like to rational thoughts about this problem and yes, it IS a major problem and expense, no doubt about it.
 carterscutie85
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/10/2009 5:20:50 PM
The basics here in Ohio are that you can only recieve cash asisstance for 36 months. If you still need it after that I know that there are some things u can do to try and get it but I am not sure what. Each parent can claim a kid for 36 months. For instance I can claim my son for the 3 years, and after my time is up his dad can claim him and get a check-even if the parents are together they can still do that. However we both cannot claim him for food stamps and each get the same amount for him for food. He can claim him for food stamps if he wants to-but he would have to have documents stating he gets him for visits-and I would still get more in food stamps then my ex because I am the custodial parent.

You get 6 weeks off after having a baby if it was vaginal, and 8 weeks off if it was a c-section but after that u need to be looking for something if u don't work. They require you to work 15 hours a week or at least look for a job. If you are not working they make you come down there and sit in a workshop where they teach u how to find a job, they also take vans full of people to fill out applications, and will take the people where ever they need to go. They send a transportation check if you get called to come into their workshop, I don't know how much it is but I don't think it's more than $30. They send the check for people who don't have the gas money or bus money to come down there. Unfortunately, many, many people recieve assistance and don't work or get called for the work program because they either slip through the cracks or job and family does not have the money to send them the transportation check.

I am pretty sure there is no time limit on the food stamps. I think as long as u qualify for them they don't have a certain time frame u can get them for like they do with the cash. If you are only getting food stamps or only getting medical, u have to work 15 hours a week and if u work less than that u are supposed to come down for the workshop. But they don't really press the people who only recieve food stamps or medical, they are more concerned with making the people who get cash work.

I think they can improve the system by asking the people who are driving up in brand new cars wearing designer duds how they got the money for those things if they claim to be so broke they need assistance. I also agree with the concept of drug testing and booting people off of cash who are testing positive for drugs-those people should not be allowed to have their children if they are druggies and should have their children taken away if they get booted from welfare and can't provide for them anymore.

Unfortunately the state doesn't really have the money for drug testing so I don't see it happening-although if it did, I guarentee a LOT of people would be booted off. Hell, when I go down there I smell marijuana on a lot of people-funny, they have money for bud and their brand new clothes/cars and are getting assistance-and I'm over here taking the bus.

They can also do checks on people to see who has warrants. I know when I applied for assistance they asked if I was fleeing a felony, LOL. I told them no but I think they should check people for warrants and have them arrested on the spot if they have one.
 KarmicEvolution
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2009 8:26:55 PM
I honestly dont know quite how the system works here, only because the assistance I recieve Im working towards not receiving it by completing my education at their urging. Apparently it costs more to subsidize daycare here then it does to keep a mother home for pre-school kids. Im getting my education right now so that by the time my daughter is in school ill have an education allowing me to make more then enough to financially support us.

I dont think people should just be allowed to sit on their asses. The first little while if you have just had a child you should be allowed to focus on them, but after that you should be required to either further your education or volunteer while receiving government assistance. I worked before my daughter, I plan on working after, but right now I was given an opportunity and Im taking it.
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/10/2009 9:56:32 PM
Dont know all the details on how it works in Florida, as i never used welfare, but the mothers get such a pittance i dont see how they could survive for a week on it, let alone a lifestyle.
I made more in one night bartending than most Florida welfare moms would get in a month. Not even enough for food for ther month lket alone housing, utilities, car, insurance, clothes, toys, diapers, formula, etc.

It should be for crisis only, such as one gets laid off a job, has an illness in the family whewre one is either home ill or tending to someone ill, death of a spouse that didnt have life insurance. I have heard of some stay at home mothers who do work but get supplements to help them, im not a huge fan of welfare but do think those meothers are doing the right thing stayinghome with their babies until they are of school age, and since they are working they are putting taxes in as well as out.

Using it as a lifestyle, i see as abusing. Using it to go to school instead of work, i see as abusing. It should be meant for crisis, not a way for working people to fund your choices.

Upon my husbands death, SS started sending checks of 1900 monthly for the taxes my husband put into the system on his 20 years of public service as a police officer, i was shocked they sent it to me, i thought once one died their SS died with them, so the kids have college money, fabulous, i went up to their office and asked the woman there what were the conditions of continued recipience and she said as long as i am not re-married they come monthly into my bank account ands i can just transfer them into the kids trust if i dontn need to spend them, when they turn 18 the checks stop and they have a nice nest egg to go to a good school.
 mcalgary
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2009 10:39:52 PM

4. All women receiving benefits should sign an agreement not to become pregnant while collecting welfare and if they should, they will either abort or agree to have the child either placed for adoption or leave the system voluntarily.

I think the system In Austratlia sounds like a fair way to help single parents raise a young child but it is ripe for abuse.

The above reason being the most important. I totally agree with this requirement. It makes sense and reduces the ability of one to abuse the system.
 mcalgary
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2009 9:21:45 AM

"I am a fan of government run daycares, providing there is no union involvement (drives up the costs).

So it's okay with you if the people who care for the kids live in poverty? Ugh..

I don't really have a problem with them making a good wage and the cost would go up a bit but you would get way better employees caring for your kids if the workers are paid more. It is the problems getting rid of unfit employess, within a union, that is the problem.
Child care, especially for very young children, needs good and qualified workers and some people are just not fit to do it. I am in a union so I know how hard it is for our employer to try and fire a bad employee and it ticks all of us off that these people can continue on.
 carterscutie85
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/11/2009 9:28:46 AM
What is government run daycare? Are those the daycares welfare pays for? Because I know here I can choose an at-home based daycare and welfare will help me pay for it. I would have to pay $100/month, but they would make my son's father pay half of whatever I pay, so it would really only be $50/month for me. It will be my only choice in the future as at-home based daycares around here have way more flexible hours than non-home based ones do.
 cookie22222
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2009 10:29:12 AM
I'll tell you how welfare moms can live on the "pittance" - they get cash assistance, medical and food stamps - subsidized day care, subsidized housing, a reduced rate on the electric bill, and all kinds of other things.

So - two people living in the same building - working person, $800 rent, $125 electric, has to buy their food, pay full rate for day care, pay medical copays...welfare mother, $45 rent, $20 electric, food stamps, free day care, free medical...

I must have been crazy to actually work when my kids were little.
I think it sucks, because the way things work, unless you can pull in a really large paycheck (and who going from welfare to work can do that) you actually come out with less.
 KarmicEvolution
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2009 10:56:14 AM
I'll tell you how welfare moms can live on the "pittance" - they get cash assistance, medical and food stamps - subsidized day care, subsidized housing, a reduced rate on the electric bill, and all kinds of other things.

So - two people living in the same building - working person, $800 rent, $125 electric, has to buy their food, pay full rate for day care, pay medical copays...welfare mother, $45 rent, $20 electric, food stamps, free day care, free medical...

In Canada there are no food stamps, we dont get a reduced rate on our electric or any other bill, any subsidy program has a waiting list that can be up to 7 years long. We get a check to cover (or not cover most of the time) rent, bills and food. We also get a Child Tax Benefit to support our child and until 6 years old a Universal Childcare benefit (Ontario). Anyone under a certain income receives the last 2 with the amount based on income and neither is really a significant amount of money.

How we survive is by budgeting, checking for sales, and knowing how valuable a dollar really is. Its not easy and you dont get to just buy whatever you want but it can be done and you can make it actually work so that you are living and not scraping by.

As for going to school on assistance being "abuse", my worker was the one who told me to upgrade my education and be home with my daughter not the other way around. It may not be perfect but when someone says to you "Here is an opportunity to better your life in the long run if you can make it work in the short term", you dont usually respond with "No thanks, I like working menial jobs making next to nothing and living in my crappy apartment. I want to live paycheck to paycheck and never retire!".
 My I
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/11/2009 3:40:43 PM
In my opinion, it may be best to leave some poeple on welfare and not give them jobs. There are people who are a big liability to employers and to coworkers. I know of a handful of people who are on welfare and I think they should remain there.

With that said, if everyone was to attain higher education then who would perform jobs where higher education is not a prerequisite? I think the entire "get an education" while on welfare is a bit of a rose coloured glasses view. If a person is on welfare, isn't that a sign? It's not right to label them as illiterate, unmotivated or unteachable but, I think that does cover a huge majority of them. Putting them in school is "hiding the problem" rather than dealing with the problem.

It would be interesting to find statistics when comparing gain vs loss. If a person lacks the ability and motivation to work, what purpose would an education serve?

Welfare helps businesses in the sense that absenteeism, sick cll ins and injury claims (not to mention premiums for such people) would most likely be at a lesser risk. Quality assurance is also a huge consideration when dealing with unmotivated people. Welfare keeps the undesirables from being in the workforce and frees up space for those who want to work. If a welfare recipient should be forced to do anything, I think they should be forced to volunteer and/or perform community service since it is the community who is paying for their livelihood.
 carterscutie85
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/11/2009 4:50:35 PM
^^

very good point. Then of course we have the city workers who sit on thier asses collecting a paycheck and not working. We just had a city worker suspended over here after he was caught sleeping on the job. Nice use of the taxpayers money there, buddy. Wish I could get paid to sleep.
 Live1983
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/11/2009 5:26:21 PM
I'm on the line about this one. I'm in Canada, Ontario. They just cut our subsidized daycare. I know woman who stay home the full four years, it dose save the tax payer thousands. It cost roughly 2 thousand a month for a baby and a little over a thousand a month for a toddler here, in a good day care. Home daycares are a little cheaper. For the mother to stay home it cost around nine hundred, less if the father pays child support cause it comes right off their checks. I think if single parents stay home they should have to prove that they are doing it for the children's best interest. I'd like to know they aren't just sitting on their bums, mommy/daddy and me groups, maybe some on line classes something... I've had to use subsidized daycare cause I plain couldn't manage two jobs and collage plus pay the daycare bill, on top of all the regular bills and have anytime to spend with my daughter. I'm lucky and I found a great employer with flexible hours and a great babysitter that is a lot cheaper then a daycare. I guess I didn't really add much insight...
 Strings6
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2009 6:49:27 PM
Jenn,thats one of the best"it ain't my fault" post i've seen in along time....the Gettysburg adress of irresponsable living...the finer points are all there...dancing straw men,twisted logic...congratulations.
 lets fish!
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/11/2009 7:54:51 PM
Guys this isn't just about single MUMS its also single DADS and trust me on this, there are PLENTY.

Nor was this thread intended to blast single parents, as there are plenty of threads for that.

What I wanted to hear was some well thought out SOLUTIONS and ideas on what changes should be looked at for improving the welfare system.

You will never stop the cheats from taking advantage of the system, however if someone wants to waste all that effort for a measly $580 a fortnight on fraud then good luck to them. Personally, I think its a real waste of organizational talent.

I agree Jen, Education is a big factor.

I also think that childcare improvements are a key issue however, one aussie poster stated there's a lack - well look into it some more as in the last couple of years there's been a massive improvement - also check out school holiday programs and in home care.

The in home care - run through the local councils, offers cheap childcare and there are PLENTY of these around.
 lets fish!
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/11/2009 11:39:42 PM
I think we have to do away with the current welfare system and rather move to universal programs because universal programs do not have the stigma attached that welfare has.

now universal programs include things such as universal health care... something everyone pays into and everyone recieves the benefits of.

How would this run Jen? Can you give us an example?
I'm not sure how your countries welfare system operates however ours is pretty generous when compared with a lot of other nations.
A lot of people complain that its not enough but a single parent on a full payment with 'add on' assistance receives the equivalent to a minimum (take home) adult wage.

Yeah its a hard financial slog no doubt about it but if you pay more, you find people work less as I've heard sooo many times this exact quote "why should I work when I lose money from my pension".

Now that attitude right there is the toughest barrier to people turning their lives around.

We have a LOT of educational programs running that are free for people in these situations such as motivational courses, qualification courses, people receive fuel money for job interviews the list goes on and on.

And yeah we work for the government - in other words, the PUBLIC, absolutely. Any public servant who vocalizes otherwise would soon find themselves on the other side of the counter.
However that said, our JOB is to uphold the legislation and policy of whichever government is in power at that time and its NOT an easy job.
I love it though, seeing people change their lives for the better when tragedy has befallen them is just the most rewarding experience you can imagine.

The sheer ignorance and prejudice displayed in these forums is just breathtakingly spectacular.

All those that believe single parents deserve nothing as they created their own circumstances, have YOU never made a mistake? ever? crap.

Ok, how about the woman who escapes with her children from an abusive marriage as her husband developed a mental illness over time which was not apparent when they married?
Or what about the woman who has a spinal injury and requires full time care from her partner and they have kids?

I could go ON and ON with some examples from all walks of life.

Welfare assistance programs are a tricky tricky subject and even trickier to 'map out' as if you make it too easy and attractive, you find that they become unaffordable and then you have less taxpayers from whom the funding comes from in the first place.
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/12/2009 4:05:55 AM

It may not be perfect but when someone says to you "Here is an opportunity to better your life in the long run if you can make it work in the short term", you dont usually respond with "No thanks, I like working menial jobs making next to nothing and living in my crappy apartment. I want to live paycheck to paycheck and never retire!".

Does anybody get out of these situations before a child is born? Or is this the new fashion to raise kids in poverty and let the govt do the rest?
 Strings6
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2009 4:13:34 AM
Let's fish,solutions ? what is the solution for hard working responsable people struggling to fullfill their obligations and having their money taken from them to fullfill other people's obligations,what is the solution for them ?...fraud only amounts to $580 a fortnight ? no it's in the millions if not billions,but what the hell,there's nothing we can do...what solutions are you realy looking for ? solutions that will allow people to be as irresponsable as they choose,any suggestion or solution that suggest responsable living is blasting or gender specific ?
 lets fish!
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/12/2009 4:35:06 AM
Hell no Strings,

I see it every single day and its extremely frustrating when you are powerless. However getting worked up about the problem solves nothing.
I really believe that we pay our taxes toward welfare to ensure the we each and every one of us, have that safety net in place in case we ourselves one day needed help.

Youre right though, fraud costs us incredible amounts. The key is to make it difficult to obtain and check everything out properly. The problem we find with this however, is that it makes it unobtainable for genuine people in dire situations.

I'll give you an example,

Last summer we had horrific bushfires rip through our state and soooo many people lost absolutely everything, it was devastating.
Trying to help these people was a nightmare. Very few victims had the right documents to verify their actual circumstances and after a few nightmarish claims, we were then to accept claims from these people without ANY documents.
Fraud went through the roof.
The press slayed us no matter which way we turned and you just can't please everybody.

Responsible people can come from all walks of life and given the right care an support, most people will come through and become tax payers themselves.
 Strings6
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2009 4:55:54 AM
I have no problem helping people in need who cannot help themselves,fraud is the fault of government because government has become a fraud itself.I am just a hard working blue collar guy trying to survive who gets tired of seeing people screw up their lives and then look at me and countless others like me to foot the bill.
 lets fish!
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/12/2009 5:12:13 AM
I'm in the same position as you are strings, except I get to watch where my taxes go and its not always pleasant lol!
However sometimes it's also good to see money going where its needed.

I really think that education is the key. I'd love to see more changes in the school system, teaching kids a work ethic and responsibility for life after school etc etc.

Those baby dolls have been known to be a winner and have changed a lot of kids views on romanticizing early parenthood but on the same spin, I've seen some very young parents whom have proved to be fantastic with their kids so who really knows?
 KarmicEvolution
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2009 6:24:36 AM
Sweetness, I had a decentcareer before my daughter was born but it was nights and not suitable for a parent. I would work most of the night, sleep all morning then do more work at home or be out doing PR for myself. Now my job experience doesn't qualify me for more then telemarketting and retail/food services. So I wasn't in this situation before my daughter thankyouverymuch.
 My I
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/12/2009 7:27:52 AM

I had a decentcareer before my daughter was born but it was nights and not suitable for a parent.

Please, explain how hospital workers can work shift work 24/7 and work holidays yet, you find it's not "suitable" for you? Isn't 1 year maternity leave a sufficient enough time to arrange your life accordingly?

As I said before, some people have the greatest excuses for not working and using the sytem..... what purpose does an education serve for these type thinkers? In my opinoin, they're simply educated complainers and whiners - still living off the system.

About the fraud thing? Fraud exists in every aspect of life.... it's something you can attempt to prevent but as you become wise to the fraudulent behaviour, they become wise to you. Madoff was a good fraudster - and he was never on welfare.
 kissmyasthma
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/12/2009 7:43:32 AM
As was mentioned before that even couples are facing rising daycare costs but what is pushing it to the extreme these days are the single parent fad or (should I be more specific) the unwed mom boom.
I think it rediculous that we are adding an even earlier year to the public school year, it shows just how desparate we are and how having children is getting to be a financial impossibility for more Canadians all the time.
Time to put the brakes on I think.

I mentioned this in another thread but as Karmic stated, it seems very onesided when it comes to paid/sponsered education for unwed/single moms but very closed doored for the men who pay child support to take advantage of the same benefit.

For anyone who actually has paid attention to this recent recession, it was mostly men who have lost jobs and are clogging the courts scrambling to get their payments reduced. They are being denied positions in retrainingeducation programs for this very reason.
No offense but a woman using the welfare system just has to make due with less but it is still the men who are cutting a cheque every month and many are now going to be lucky to earn anywhere near the same money they did.
All the while many women are being (as Karmic put it ) "urged" to go to school.

I don't even want to mention what makes them more worthy of sponsered education than a girl who didn't decide to give birth?
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > welfare suggestions for single parents - your ideas.