Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why would a guy go on this site looking for friends???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DocElffington
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Why would a guy go on this site looking for friends???Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Controlling much???

Have you ever heard of pen pals???

What's so wrong with networking and having a diverse friends base?

Some people like tiny parties with only a handful of family and friends.

Others like huge galas.

A dating website may initially seem fishy. But everyone here is looking for social interaction and companionship in one form or another.

Honestly, I think you should just mind your own business and leave him to his!
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 6
Why would a guy go on this site looking for friends???
Posted: 12/11/2009 7:09:06 PM
OP, your profile says you're looking for freinds.
Same deal.
Do you have enuff freinds?
LOL
The guy in question either isn't interested or has someone else
more than just a freind.
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2009 7:53:05 PM

Just kinda fishy to me..and a slap in the face. Do you know where Im coming from??

All I know is that you don't fulfill all of his needs. If you did, he probably wouldn't be looking for anyone else. Believe it or not, some guys do want more than just a pretty face....
 blindwonder
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/11/2009 8:01:14 PM
Well considering you yourself are just looking for friends, why be so suspicious of his motives?
Beyond that we all have reasons for being here.
Mine is being blind, and this allows me to shall we say get out there. True I'd rather meet people personally but there are some obvious drawbacks there. I also hope this puts me on a more equal footing with everyone else.
 Mr.Versatility
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/11/2009 9:25:11 PM
Everyone is an individual, I don't know why everyone always pulls everyone into 1 boat....
I had friends listed as what I was seeking and thats all I was seeking because before you really are in a relationship you need to build a friendship first, and just because a guy wants to make new friends, doesn't mean hes just looking to hookup... You can never have too many friends!
 Man_of_steele
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/12/2009 2:35:13 AM
So basically, you like this guy, and you're pissed he isn't picking up your hints.

Otherwise, why would you be suspicious of him wanting to meet new people and make new friends? What's the harm in that? You know, not all of us guys and dirty horn dogs or desperate nerds. Some of us just like meeting new people. Some of us even like having friends who are girls. And some of us even want those friends to REMAIN friends!

If you like the guy, just come right out and tell him about it. Don't obsess over it and cyber-stalk him.
 ForumFilly
Msg: 35
Posted: 12/12/2009 6:49:46 AM
Both my guy and I had 'Friends' listed on our profiles. That didn't mean we were excluding the possibility of something deeper developing, it just meant that we wanted to start out as friends first. For us, it did become something more. As much as you want to be the person he falls in love with, he doesn't feel that way. You are his friend. When he meets a woman who does capture his heart, he will feel differently about being in a relationship.

Having a dear, close friend of the opposite sex is nothing to sneeze at. It is a very special friendship that can last a lifetime.
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/12/2009 7:15:11 AM
If he is your age, he is young and probably wants to meet more people. I would say he's too young to pin himself down into a serious relationship and is free to do what he wants. If he wants to experience a casual encounter or two, it shouldn't matter to someone he is just pals with.
 want to travel
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2009 9:11:42 AM
i am really looking for a long term relationship,i put friends because thats the way i want to start my long term relationship
 c_deacon
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2009 9:35:06 AM
This is just to funny to comment on, but I will try........

There are many of us that are here for ALL the possibilities and that can be from friendship to having a potential relationship, to having dates in order to do things with others and not alone, to friends with or without benefits, to just trying to find others to hang out with while doing things you like to do........

Unlike maybe some on here, I do not think with my small brain first, and I am not thinking of every woman as a potential conquest or bed partner, but much more another connection that could lead to many things, or nothing at all.

Once you grow up, have experience, and know that life has much to offer, it also shows many of us that getting laid is easy, but getting laid by the right person, oh so much harder. I have nothing to prove, do not need notches on my bedpost, and would rather enjoy those that could be great friends that just might push the right buttons to become more if wanted by both.

I am one that has been on this site for many years, and I enjoy my friends that I have made here as much if not more than the few relationships that have happened from those friendships. If nothing more, I have places to go and people to see, to ride with, hike with, meet for drinks, get invited to parties, and all that other good stuff that many of us never have in the normal workplace situations.

This site has become my corner bar that I walk into and have many greet me and say "HI".........just as they did Norm in "Cheers". Since I do not like the bar scene most times, why can I not enjoy friends from here, and every once in awhile someone that the mutual attraction just might make it more?

I say everyone is looking for others to relate to, and those relationships can vary as much as the people signing in.

cd............
 Mrpbody44
Msg: 67
Posted: 12/13/2009 5:38:58 AM
I am on here looking for friends as I just broke up with my girlfriend of two yearswho I though was the love of my life. Not in an emotional position to find some one for a LTR right now. I like haveing women as friends. I relate to them better than other guys.
 NotElvisJunior
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2010 9:33:46 PM
To answer the OP:

For the exact same reasons a woman would go on this site looking for friends. Including the good reasons, the bad reasons, etc.
 bikeman1467
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2010 10:56:37 AM
This guy I know says hes not ready for a relationship but then he gos and makes a profile on here looking for friends?
Well this is not a purely friendly-social networking site per se, but I see nothing immoral about a dude (or a gal for that matter) not currently involved in a relationship to post a profile on here looking for "friends first". Who knows, he might find a female friend here, and THEN be ready for a relationship. Why is this any skin off the OP's nose? Inquiring minds want to know.

Just kinda fishy to me..and a slap in the face.
To whom?
 aliveone1
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2010 3:23:24 PM
Wow. Finally a forum where the majority of the posts I read are from people who really believe it is possible to be on here just looking for friends! Yay! I'm so sick of people being paranoid about alterior motives!
 NotElvisJunior
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2010 8:44:43 PM
I still don't understand the women jumping down the guy's throat considering that, as has been pointed out, the OP herself has in her profile that she's here and has "Friends" under her "looking for" section.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why would a guy go on this site looking for friends???