Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Having money goes hand in hand with being happy.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JWG86
Msg: 1
Having money goes hand in hand with being happy.Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Well, I have known this for years as I suspect many of you have, but it's nice to see science backing me up. The whole "You can't buy happiness" may hold some truth, in that an angry person that is poor might still be rich and angry, but I still feel that if you have money, you are going to be happier, over-all. That angry person will have less to be angry over if he has some cash in the bank.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/10/the-happiest-states-of-america/
 JWG86
Msg: 2
Having money goes hand in hand with being happy.
Posted: 12/13/2009 3:45:52 PM
Correct. "Money can't buy happiness" was a favorite of my mother's when I was a child. It explained why making life-decisions that led to us being unable to afford things like my friends had was okay, and maybe even a blessing, lol. Well, it did achieve one thing. It ingrained in my mind a need to accrue enough money so as to not worry about it like I did as a child.
 Casper66
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2009 5:08:51 PM
I don't think money makes you happier or buys you happiness, but it decreases the stress level of how you are going to feed yourself and pay the bills. I know people who have money who are unhappy with their lives too but are financially secure. Personally, I would like enough to be comfortable and be able to travel and a few toys, excessive amounts of money has it's own set of problems with people trying to scam you out of it.
 godfearing05
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/13/2009 7:40:57 PM
In my travels, I have met some people who had a lot of money and was very unhappy. They were always worrying about losing it.
 4realRU
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/13/2009 8:31:18 PM
Happiness isn't defined by money, never has been. Happiness can only be defined by each individual. If you're not happy at this moment in time with what you have or who you are? Chances are you'll never know real happiness.
 tjrogelio
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2009 8:35:41 PM
I see some truly happy people, where I live in Cambodia, who have little or nothing. I also see some very wealthy people here who always seem to be in a rotten mood. You can be happy with very little. Now, and I see this a lot in the US, having no money and being heavily in debt is a recipe for great unhappiness.
 daynadaze
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2009 9:41:06 PM
I know when all my bills are paid, I have enough to buy food and keep my car repaired, etc., and don't have to stress any new thing happening...I'm a damn happy person.
 minako79
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/14/2009 1:55:10 AM
being in the philippines and surrounded by poverty, i see filipino people living in the slums are HAPPY and living in very simple. non-materialistic lifestyle.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2009 2:58:50 AM

I still feel that if you have money, you are going to be happier, over-all. That angry person will have less to be angry over if he has some cash in the bank.

Having enough money to pay the bills, enjoy your vacations, and save for a rainy day makes for a happier life overall.

The stress of not knowing where you are going to get the money to cover the mortgage, utilities, food, etc. makes for one stressful and confusing life (especially if you went from having enough to not having enough).

In the 1970's and back families were living on one paycheck comfortably with an average savings each month of 11% of their paycheck. If the breadwinner got sick and could not work there was another person who could go to work (the spouse). With unemployment pay or disability pay, the new wage earner's smaller wage, and the savings that accumulated they could still pay their bills.

Today, most families have to have two income earners to make the mortgage, utilities, car loans, food, etc. and they have no extra to save. If one of the two lose a job and/or get sick they are almost surely doomed to not be able to make their monthly bills and more at risk than ever to lose homes, cars, etc.

Money may not buy happiness but it sure does make for less stress and suffering.
 RSwindol
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2009 4:51:18 AM
Some of the most angry and miserable people in history were also some of the wealthiest.

According to a University of Michigan study, Nigerians are happier with their lives than the people of any other country. Why? Could it have something to do with the fact that the average Nigerian makes around $300 per year? ABSOLUTELY. Here's why:

First, your brain adjusts feelings of happiness downward after you've reached some goal or other. It regulates the good feelings, presumably so that you have motivation to reach the next goal instead of just lounging by the pool for the rest of your days.

Second is that as social creatures, we compare ourselves to our neighbors. This is why executives can cry about the $500,000 salary cap that comes with taking government bailout money. Their friends are making $3 million a year and live in igloo made out of cocaine. We can laugh at their complaints, but of course then you're giving the Nigerian permission to laugh at yours. That guy made 100 times more than you, you make 100 times more than the Nigerian.

America happened to be #16 on that list of "happy countries". But we are a "rich" country comparably speaking, are we not? Sure we are, but our country also hands out 120 million prescriptions of anti-depressants each year.

The problem is that once you start hanging around the other high earners, you'll want all the stuff they have. No, that's not right--you'll want the stuff that's so much better than their stuff that they'll vomit with envy. As one magazine for Wall Street big-shots put it, you want the stuff that will be "a huge middle finger to everyone who enters your home."

But what about sudden wealth, like if you won the lottery, or sold your novel for $10 million? That'd be cool, right, because you'd still remember your former life and appreciate your new riches! Well, just ask William "Bud" Post, who wound up broken and bankrupt after he won $16 million in the lottery. It turns out that while he knew how to handle the stress of being poor thanks to a lifetime of experience, he had no concept of how to handle the new and alien stresses of wealth.

One also has to take into account their old "poor" friends. Of course everyone says "If I win the lottery, I will not forget where I came from, and I will not forget all of my friends." The problem with this is that after hitting the lottery, many of those so-called friends will suddenly morph into ***hole leeches. "But I can always make new friends" you say? That won't be a problem...or will it?

With your newfound riches, suddenly "friends" pop up from all over. Cousins who you've never met, forgotten classmates from school, women who'd never even look your way before, all suddenly in your orbit, complimenting you, doing you favors. Then they casually slip it into conversation that they're going to have to default on their mortgage unless "somebody helps out."

Suddenly every relationship is in doubt. Do they actually care about you? Or do they just want a seat on the Bling Train? Would they sell you out to get to your cash?

That lottery winner mentioned above . . . somebody hired a hitman to take him out, to get to his money. That somebody was his own freaking brother. I'm fairly certain that there aren't many Nigerians actively dodging hit men who happened to be hired by some schmuck trying to siphon the unlucky Joe's $18 life savings that he may or may not keep stashed under an overturned 5 gallon bucket in the family's dirt-floor sitting room. But I could be wrong.

But I can honestly say that I'm not surprised that this thread was created by such an obviously materialistic person.
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2009 5:54:15 AM
Having enough money to satisfy your basic needs plus a little bit extra is the way to go. You don't have the problems associated with being rich and you don't have the problems associated with being poor.

However, I'm willing to be the test subject for happiness while being rich. If everyone of the 18m PoF members would send me a dollar, I'll report back if I become happy or not.

isnuttinfree
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/14/2009 6:44:12 AM
Am sorta Buddhist or Quaker in my lifestyle since I believe less is more. The less I have the less there is to take care of. Less there is to have stolen, or broken.

So true. In Man vs Wild, this ex soldier guy has nothing but his knife, flint, water flask and survival skills.. whether he's in the wilds of Africa or in a scorching desert..he demonstrates his amazing skills, spirit and resourcefulness.. qualities that make him hot..ok he is cute and has the bod..but what a man! Material possessions don't maketh the person...who's more impressive ..one that makes a mil to splurge on himself or the other that puts it toward charitable causes.. people also use possessions as a substitute for happiness.

Society's WANTS are over-inflated.. on the other hand, tribal cultures make do with what they have.. there are people elsewhere who have very little but are happy...

Materialism is like a chain around your neck. The pursuit of money..the pursuit of money to acquire them..the acquiring of debt to pay them off..society-induced stress at not having enough, not living up to expectations...burdening yourself with pressure to buy the latest gadget..filling up your place with junk..the misplaced idea that money is the epitome of success.
 cookie22222
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2009 7:59:15 AM
To me, money equates to freedom, of all sorts - freedom from stress and worry about making your bills, freedom to order a pizza if you want one or buy that new pair of shoes, freedom to - whatever, fill in the blank. The lack of money leads to stress and worry - having money eliminates that, but doesn't equal happiness to me. I have no interest in a mini-mansion or a $50000 ride...I have no interest in designer clothes, or "the best of everything". Things can't comfort you in times of trouble...people, the people in my life, are my true source of joy.
 daynadaze
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2009 9:08:43 AM

Some of the most angry and miserable people in history were also some of the wealthiest.

Do you have a list of the most angry & miserable poor people? No, of course not, that wouldn't support a biased study, would it.

Man vs. Wild, wasn't that the show where they found the guy was staying in nice hotels while the crew filmed scenes, then he showed up to be put in some of the shots?

Wealth is subjective but no one ever wished they were too poor to eat or fed and clothe their children or watched their family starve, hell no, they all wished they had the means to take good care of them. Not everyone wants to win the lottery but any sane person wants a standard of living that takes care of themselves and their families.
 RSwindol
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2009 3:43:11 PM
Passionate Gent,
While I do understand the point you are trying to make, I think you are confusing a few issues in order to make your point. Allow me to illustrate.

It's sad that people are equating money with problems. That's far from the truth, as the majority of those who are financially independent are very happy, and emotionally fulfilled people.

Fist off, while I do agree with this statement, it really doesn't fit into the subject at hand. One doesn't need to be wealthy to be considered "financially independent". In fact, bums can be considered the epitome of financial Independence. So if what you are saying is true (and I'm not saying it's not), bums are quite happy.

On the flip side, we consider many rich people to be financially independent when they really aren't. Whether these individuals choose to finance for tax purposes or just get in over there heads financially due to lack of experience; I would venture to say that the majority of millionaires owe at least something to the bank and therefore aren't as financially independent as we may think.

So while I do agree with this statement that financially independent people are often quite happy, I have to point out that there are just as many financially independent bums out there as their are financially independent millionaires. Thus, you could be actually proving my point that not having money can actually make people more happy.

Next...

I read an article some years ago that there were some 5 Million people living in America, who had an estimated net worth of at least 1 Million, so those portrayed in the media who end up depressed, drug addicts, or dead, are but a very small
percentage of the affluent.

I would just like to point out that just because someone has a "net worth" of more than 1 million dollars doesn't necessarily make them rich, or even financially stable. A net worth is not how much money one has in the bank, but the estimated value of one's entire collection of assets.

My brother-in-law has a friend who inherited his parents home about 20 miles north of San Francisco. The 1,800 square foot home and the small lot it was on was valued at 1.3 million dollars. While this guy barely made enough money to hold his head above the local "poverty" level, he was instantly considered a "millionaire" in the respect of net worth. The problem is that he didn't want to get rid of his parent's home, but he also couldn't pay the taxes on the land. So now, even though he does fall your net worth millionaire category, he has also been going through court proceedings with the IRS in order to figure out a way to keep the home.

So yes, it is extremely possible, especially during financially difficult times such as these, to have a net worth other more than a million and be "broke" at the same time. But the one thing I do respect about this individual is that he sees the importance of happiness. He would rather fight tooth and nail to keep his family's home than sell it and walk away feeling miserable with a pocket full of cash.
 RSwindol
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2009 3:57:18 PM

Do you have a list of the most angry & miserable poor people? No, of course not, that wouldn't support a biased study, would it.

Well if you would like a pretty good list of some of the most angry and miserable people in history, you can read a book called "The Bedside Book of **stards" by Dorothy M. Johnson. It covers everyone from Adolf Hitler to Genghis Khan. It's chock full of some of history's most angry and miserable people, and most of them happened to be quite wealthy and many of them were rulers of vast kingdoms...Thus proving my point that "Some of the most angry and miserable people in history were also some of the wealthiest"
 EvilLolli
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2009 10:50:39 PM
I think it boils down to what a politician told me once(shhh! let me explain!). His theory was that if a person had enough to make sure their basic needs were covered comfortably(i.e. food, home, medical, work) he had the time/energy to expend on making themself the person they wanted to be and share the wealth attained thru financial security. He referenced some of the great minds of history. DaVinci(had patrons pay for living expenses), Einstein(government funded), Etc. to prove that when a person is free from worry about the small details(how to eat, where to live, etc.) that person could imagine great things to change the world. When the cost of living goes up, but the income doesn't, how much time/energy do we have to spend on making ourselves better people?

Has no one wondered why there have been so few leaps in technology lately? Are resources spread too thin? Or has the emphasis been placed more on possessions(not a sign of wealth-i.e. credit debt) or on making life rich by being able to have your basic needs met and having the ability to expand the richness of your life?

I don't think its just financial wealth that buys happiness. I think it is an over-all wealth that does. But when you have to sacrifice the other aspects of you happiness to make sure the basic needs are met(working more hours, taking the soul sucking job to pay bills, etc.), you end up a poorer, more unhappy person in the end.
 JWG86
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/14/2009 11:12:07 PM

Obviously money cannot buy happiness literally, but there is a direct link between being able to afford nice things, your bills, and vacations, etc. and being happy. Stress is arguably the #1 killer in America, and the #1 argument in marriages is about money, etc. etc. etc.

Have enough money, as long as you are smart with it, your problems will be much fewer.
 AbuAlMashaakil
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/15/2009 2:43:54 PM
Money won't necessarily make you happy, but having none will probably make you sad.
 Strings6
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2009 5:31:30 PM
Strange is it not that the proponents of poverty all have computers I suggest they and the back to nature crowd all get together and actually live the life they all tell us is so wonderful....when we see what a great time you're having we will gladly join you.
 earthlingsRevenge
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/18/2009 6:44:08 PM
They say money can't buy two things.

True love
and
Home grown tomatoes.

I'm sure about the tomatoes, but not sure about the first one though.
It seems like some of Tiger Woods hookers are in love with him.
 JWG86
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/19/2009 12:38:38 AM
^^^It's just a different kind of stress. Guarding riches. Not being sure if people love you or your money. Having people you don't know watching you for the chance to invade your penthouse, possible murder your spouse.

I like alot of Ghandi's quotes, like:

"Each one has to find peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances."

1. I don't trust anyone who says they love me anyways. Anyone who does needs to grow up, or they have just been INCREDIBLY lucky. Women/men lie like there is no tomorrow and everyone wants something. If it's not money, it's just something else.

2. Why would they murder your spouse? This gets them nothing. Theft happens more to poor people than rich people anyways. Poor people don't have the money for home security systems, fences, dogs, etc. Crime and poverty go hand in hand.

3. I agree, peace should come from within, but the less outside things invade that inner sanctum the nicer it is. I am not Ghandi.

4. There is no upside to being poor. At least, not one that I have ever discovered.
 Living Dharma
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/19/2009 8:52:51 AM

Having money goes hand in hand with being happy

It is interesting to read all the different perspectives in this thread.

Perhaps the reason there are such divergent perspectives on the subject is that each person has a different definition for the term “being happy”:

1. If “being happy” is defined by the freedom to satisfy one’s material desires, then those posters would agree that having money goes hand in hand with being happy.

2. If having one’s necessities of food, shelter and clothing looked after before one is able to be in a position to consider “being happy” possible, then a minimum of money must be met to satisfy these basic needs first.

3. If “being happy” is simply a state of being that exists regardless of one’s outer circumstances, then having money would have no bearing on one’s ability to be happy.

As one person said, money simply is a tool.

Attachment to money can be a source of suffering.

“Rich” people can experience suffering when they lose their tool. This was witnessed by the suffering of people who lost much money during the recent market downturn.

“Poor” people can experience suffering simply by not having access to the tool. This lack of access prevents them from satisfying their wants/needs/desires.

The person who experiences happiness as a state of being not dependent on outer circumstances (definition #3), has no attachment to money. They are able to accept all circumstances in life just the way they are even when they do not know where their next meal is coming from or where they will sleep.

Granted, it is a rare state of being. Consider the possibility though that some people could live life in this state of being. I have only personally seen brown buffaloes all my life, but this does not mean that white buffaloes do not exist.
 Vannili
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2009 9:33:03 AM
Money in the bank helps necessities in life and it makes living easier, money is an energy that makes the world and people prosper and progress.. But it can not buy happiness.. A person can live with very little money and s/he still can survive, but a person can not survive for a long period of time of his anger,unhappiness of people that sorround him/her for anger will kill him/her of desease of hypertention,cancer ,heart attack,ectect...
A destitute person who is angry ,when he comes into money is still angry to his self, and others , ,he may buy all the material things for his self, several houses, the best food, ect and buy the friendship and love of others, he will still be unhappy and angry.

To obtain happiness ~ is to give loving/kindness to others, and it will return to you.. As the saying in the bible >>" What you sow ,is what you reap."

Happiness is a state of mind and strong inner core (soul) that money has nothing to do with it.
 colt8301
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/19/2009 12:09:52 PM
lol, Miserable people are just going to be miserable regardless of the cash, but money will at least give them temporary relief, i mean you can't be miserable every minute of every day. Now a poor person i can see that happening if they are mad about "not" having money. Your right at least a rich person can be mad in some beautiful island of the prosperous people.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Having money goes hand in hand with being happy.