Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Guys, What Are The Things You Do..?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rainman12
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Guys, What Are The Things You Do..?Page 1 of 1    
A all the way - I know I'm clean, but hey, it it puts her mind at ease and of course reduces my risk from her, then I'm all for it. Tests don't take more than a few days - a week anyway. If someone can't wait a week....then they're not for me. If I think someone's worth it, I wouldn't have a problem getting a few samples taken and waiting a bit. Offended? Nope, it's a good idea to get tested regularly anyway.
 CountIbli
Msg: 4
Guys, What Are The Things You Do..?
Posted: 12/13/2009 9:41:31 PM

Ok, this may seem a no brainer question but I am curious to know from guys perspective -- What are the things you do to show a girl you are serious about having a serious relationship with her and not just in it for sex or a quick fling? .. esp during the getting-to-know-you stage

I'm not sure I understand. The getting-to-know-you stage is for after the sex. Why bother taking all that time to get to know someone, just to find out the sex is bad. Seems damned inefficient to me.
 ninjaeleven
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2009 9:48:58 PM
A) all the way and I would have more respect and like her even more.

And what would I do, I would be on time, i would be attentive but I would not be her whipping boy.
 CountIbli
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/13/2009 10:21:01 PM

See that was the very answer I thought I would get here. I did not want to generalize that all men are like that, but perhaps many, if not most are. Sex comes first, then the decision whether or not she is "relationship material" comes later, right? .... A guy simply cannot hold out to get to know and establish some substantial common-ground with a girl first then move on to the next level of intimacy because to men, sex first, (emotional) intimacy later. Am I right or wrong on this?

Men can enjoy sex without any emotional connection. This is probably because, from an evolutionary standpoint, our best strategy for propagating our seed is to have sex as often and as with as many different women as possible.

This is not a good strategy for women, due to the limited capacity for getting pregnant and the physical stresses on the body due to pregnancy. Instead she wants to find that one alpha male to settle down with.

Women want to make the emotional tie first to ensure that the man sticks around. For the man, sticking around limits his ability to spread his seed. It's been my experience that men take longer to form the emotional bond, but when we do it's stronger than the bonds formed by women.
 kornbluth
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2009 3:01:08 AM

On the internet, in a forum, on a dating web site, I don't think you are going to get anyone to say 'B'.

Of course not. This is as silly as asking if you do illegal drugs or don't really "love to laugh."
 John Wisdom
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2009 3:31:05 AM

What are the things you do to show a girl you are serious about having a serious relationship with her and not just in it for sex or a quick fling?
Generally speaking, the behaviors in these cases could be indiscernable. This is the dilemma ... and your only option is to apply your intelligence and instinct and evaluate the situation as a whole.

If she holds out on sex until the both of you are tested would you ...
Unprotected sex is always risky. A test is only valid for the specific moment that the sample is taken. There is no guarantee that either partner would not be exposed to "risk" while waiting for the results, or even after the results are in. Yes, we would all like to believe that our partner is monogamous and honest ... however this is not always true.

The bottom line from my perspective is trust. Do you know your partner well enough to trust them with your life? If you cannot answer that question with an unequivocal "Yes!" ... than you must rely on yourself alone.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Guys, What Are The Things You Do..?