Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > If you could.....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tragikmuse
Msg: 1
view profile
History
If you could.....Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
...would you destroy all diseases on earth? If you answer, please supoprt your position with the reasons why you would or wouldn't. I ask because I want to get a feeling as to how people feel about this topic versus how they think. For most people the emotional answer is obvious, but I am curious as to how others will justify thier position on this.
 BowdenK
Msg: 2
If you could.....
Posted: 12/16/2009 6:21:38 PM
Well, there would have to be action taken to fill in the blanks regarding an extremely altered birth/death rate. On a social level, the fear connected to disease would be gone, and less fear is always a good thing. As a tool of social control it is overrated and the only application fear has in regard to disease is economic. Some behaviors are at least partially controlled through fear of disease: sex, drug use, etc.

Wow, that means no more scoliosis... yeah, I'm in. No disease. My back always hurts... stupid back.

It would be nice to get rid of heart disease. More likely that it silently stops on you rather than going through the painful ordeals of blood flow problems.

Maybe someone will eventually unlock the genetic code and that will be the key to destroying disease. I would try, but I suck at numbers and I don't get along with most scientists. I try to tell them that Plato's cave was the beginning of science, but nooooo. I don't really believe that to be true, but they sure get mad when you act like you do and present convincing arguments, lol.
 Island home
Msg: 3
If you could.....
Posted: 12/16/2009 6:47:33 PM
I would like to see a financial impact study done before making a decision.
Just think of the lost income amongst faith healers and medical industry.
Of course I would have all my complaints cured as part of any fesability investigation
 indefatigabilis
Msg: 4
If you could.....
Posted: 12/16/2009 7:21:28 PM
I don't know enough about diseases to know if destroying them all might not lead to something even worse. But if not, then I surely would and my reason is simply that whatever it is that was going along without a disease would prefer not to have a disease. Diseases are universally unpleasant, as I understand them. The world without disease would probably be a happier place and that's good enough for me. Happy people tend to treat you better. They share more. I would get more free cookies. Yes, it's a good idea.
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 5
view profile
History
If you could.....
Posted: 12/16/2009 7:47:00 PM
I would not destroy all diseases. First, if no one died from disease there would not be enough food to feed everyone. In the absence of food there would be wars for the food and such to make life livable.
Even if food was available we would run out of space to house all the people.
Leib
 BowdenK
Msg: 6
If you could.....
Posted: 12/16/2009 7:54:35 PM

if no one died from disease there would not be enough food to feed everyone.

People would still die... just slower. And in the face of being able to destroy every disease I'm guessing the technology variable is also to the point of better food production. I'd be willing to bet the deserts are covered in grass if we're killing every known disease.

You, my friend, are a pessimist and foresee nothing but disaster, doom, and apocolypse in the face of advancement... I think we can be friends... wanna write a movie?

Island home
Msg: 7
If you could.....
Posted: 12/16/2009 8:09:35 PM

I would not destroy all diseases. First, if no one died from disease there would not be enough food to feed everyone. In the absence of food there would be wars for the food and such to make life livable.
Even if food was available we would run out of space to house all the people.
Leib

By definition hunger and obesity are disease
Cure obesity and there will be more room for the hungry that would now be slim and healthy
 milt_n_bradley
Msg: 8
If you could.....
Posted: 12/16/2009 8:25:58 PM
Disease is population control.
No disease = Massive overpopulation.
Suffering, unfortunately, usually happens for a reason.
 Vancer
Msg: 9
If you could.....
Posted: 12/17/2009 11:54:17 AM
What if it turned out that life was a disease?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Kyi0WNg40

Wait, this one is more suited to the revelation of life being something sinister.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lXL7HflU1Q
 aremeself
Msg: 10
view profile
History
If you could.....
Posted: 12/17/2009 12:04:08 PM
can't believe the ever present population control dogma!

I'm here, and I will approve who else will be allowed to live on this planet!
 tragikmuse
Msg: 11
view profile
History
If you could.....
Posted: 12/17/2009 6:02:42 PM
I was really surprized at the number of people who would cure disease and only 2 people even mentioned that if people weren't dying from disease, other things would become a problem. Its like that math problem with wolves and rabbits...

Anyways, I wouldn't cure disease. I have a strong respect for the way mother nature tends to even out the playing field, balance and all that. I mean sooner or later we woudl have no resources left to support the sheer amount of people alive and then the ones that woudl have been dead reproduce. However, it could be a great stimulus for getting us to colonize other previously unliveable planets? mebbe not.

Just goes to show as someone else remarked that there is a reason for suffering even though the suffering sucks. Mayhap that this is what the buddhists are talking about when they say that coming to the realization that things are as they should be brings peace.....ya think?
 scorpiomover
Msg: 12
view profile
History
If you could.....
Posted: 12/17/2009 6:29:26 PM
Of course I would. Then I would just go to all the people who said "Why does G-d make diseases?" and say "See, G-d's taken them away, because you complained about them." Then I'd watch them scream in terror.

I do like a bit of fun now and again.
 aremeself
Msg: 13
view profile
History
If you could.....
Posted: 12/17/2009 6:35:18 PM
so, dying at a young 80 isn't good enough, 2 year olds have to die of some sh]t disease for some sh]t reasoning.

if we miss "them" before their conceived, or before their born, lets hope they get sick early and die!
 tragikmuse
Msg: 14
view profile
History
If you could.....
Posted: 12/17/2009 8:49:09 PM
LOL I love the whack-a -mole game! interestign taht it finds its way here but i agree. he more we cure and find ways to treat so diseases are no longer life threatening, the worse diseases seem to get. Keep using antibacterial everything and we will all see just how crappy bacteria can become.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 15
view profile
History
If you could.....
Posted: 12/17/2009 9:12:25 PM
I guess the real dilemma in modern society is how to protect against an archaic illness. We're all vaccinated against things like measles, but what about some hemorrhagic fever coming out of the rainforest? The virus may be so old it hasn't evolved much in over 50 million years and yet that is precisely why it could be so lethal.
In that respect, I agree with the idea that disease is impossible to eliminate.

If I could do it though, I would. For a ransom fee of ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS. *pinky gesture*
 aremeself
Msg: 16
view profile
History
If you could.....
Posted: 12/17/2009 9:32:03 PM
I wouldn't mind living forever, [I am never bored, maybe you noticed] but not as the 90 year olds I meet.

in other words, if I felt like 150 at 150, that would suck!

ya, other than unforeseen crap, life spans have been 80 to not quite 100 years old for a long time, it seems.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 17
view profile
History
If you could.....
Posted: 12/18/2009 4:18:08 AM

I don't know enough about diseases to know if destroying them all might not lead to something even worse.
Overpopulation, hunger, exhaustion of natural resources leading to a world that needs to to have the population culled or risk stripping the earth of it's ability to sustain life.

No, I would not destroy all diseases...
 aremeself
Msg: 18
view profile
History
If you could.....
Posted: 12/18/2009 2:23:34 PM
evolution doesn't have a reason, does it? it just is, survival of some sort.
 RocketMan_Len
Msg: 19
If you could.....
Posted: 12/18/2009 4:37:39 PM
If we destroy all diseases, we could be effectively immortal.

With that in mind, I'd have to steal a line from the first season of Babylon 5...

"You are not ready for immortality"
 aremeself
Msg: 20
view profile
History
If you could.....
Posted: 12/18/2009 6:14:34 PM
Rocket Man,

we definitely are not ready for immortality.

good one!

but if I could get rid of sicknesses of every sort, I would, if only to get rid of the 250 canvassers collecting money for cures!
 kow626
Msg: 21
If you could.....
Posted: 12/19/2009 12:07:17 AM
disease is here for a reason. not only as population control but as an evolutionary tool too, if that makes sense. so no, i wouldn't eradicate any diseases.

if disease never existed to begin with, how would anything on earth have evolved into what it is now? and we're still evolving. disease is a contributor in some ways. if life on earth never had to develop immunity to diseases, because they didn't exist, i think we'd still be in the ocean. taking disease completely out of my thought process for an unbiased approach, the flip side is what's been mentioned: we'd be damn near perfect creatures. hell, all living things would be. nothing would exist to prevent us or slow us down from ever-evolving. only ourselves and natural disasters would be our mass undoing.

if disease was suddenly wiped out tomorrow, we'd all die in a matter of decades cuz earth wouldn't be able to support that much life. humans are voracious. too many of us, as we're seeing already, isn't a good thing for the planet.
 bliss.stars
Msg: 22
If you could.....
Posted: 12/19/2009 9:51:33 AM
no

without suffering there would be no compassion/understanding. much worse imo.

besides, thats heaven apparently.
 andso.itgoes
Msg: 23
If you could.....
Posted: 12/19/2009 11:27:25 AM
Absolutely. Just think of all the suffering we could avoid by not having to deal with health insurance companies.
 memorie68
Msg: 24
If you could.....
Posted: 12/19/2009 12:08:17 PM
I would want to have the power to take complete control over my life and where my soul can travel to...instead of being imprisoned in this oppressing physical form, stuck in this world with all kinds of diseases you are talking about, I want to be able to enter different worlds, dimensions and parallel universes....
 aremeself
Msg: 25
view profile
History
If you could.....
Posted: 12/19/2009 6:40:42 PM
a pulse on how people think.

or, a pulse on how SOME people think.

I wouldn't have believed how screwed up our thinking has become, if I hadn't been on these forums.
I'm kind of up set, actually.
I mean, you actually find some kind of appreciation in a person dying of some internal rotting disease?????????? say your 4 year old child?????????????

it's a joke on me! you had me going.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > If you could.....