Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Painters help me out      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rainman12
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Painters help me outPage 1 of 1    
Ok, so to start - I know nothing about painting, but it's something I want to try. So I'm starting off with acrylics because I've heard these are easier for newbies like me.

So I've tried a couple of times, but am not satisfied with what I created. I want to start over, gesso will cover it, but I'm wondering if anyone's tried regular old house painting primer - it's so much cheaper, and since I have a feeling I might be covering over a canvas more than a few times until I'm happy, I was wondering if anyone had tried this and what the results were? Good? Bad? Need a dozen coats? A specific brand to use/avoid?

Thanks!
 nexthyme
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Painters help me out
Posted: 12/19/2009 2:00:00 AM
I haven't used house primer, however have used a spray primer, that is in the spray paints... Avoid cheap brands, however usually no more that 2 coats are need on paintings uless you were using a lot of dark colors.

When you were working with your acrylics did you use a gel that helps paints stay wet longer. Sometimes that is what makes acrylics frustrating to work with.

There is a lot of things that makes working with acrylic, especially avoiding the chemicals of oil painting..

Good luck, keep at it, I am self taught, and have a daughter who went through the Art institute, sheesh what a critic to deal with, LOL
 kornbluth
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Painters help me out
Posted: 12/19/2009 3:25:23 AM

I want to start over, gesso will cover it, but I'm wondering if anyone's tried regular old house painting primer

It has worked for me. If the primer is white, then add a drop of black for better opacity.
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Painters help me out
Posted: 12/20/2009 9:07:18 PM
With the exception of ONE time back in high school, all I've ever used is acrylics. The fast drying time can be frustrating, but when you get the hang of it, you can finish a painting before it dries, and still be satisfied with the end results!!
 rainman12
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Painters help me out
Posted: 12/20/2009 11:40:43 PM
Thanks guys : )

Definitely need to check out some mediums to slow the drying time....I've bought some white primer and have covered my canvas.....will let you know the results lol.
 coveredinpaint
Msg: 6
Painters help me out
Posted: 12/22/2009 10:01:04 AM
You're asking what kind of PAINT to COVER your canvas in?

Sorry, can't help you there.

Jk, actually I only do oil painting. However, I would say as a general principle, go cheap when you are first starting out. And just try it. Does the acrylic stick to the household primer okay? If so, then use it.
 coveredinpaint
Msg: 7
Painters help me out
Posted: 12/23/2009 6:36:36 AM
If your using acrylic you don't have a choice. It dries within a couple minutes. I don't know what Chuck meant when he said finishing it before it dries. Each application of brushstrokes of paint is a new layer which will dry as you paint over it. It's not like you cover the whole canvas in paint real fast and then try to render your painting before it all dries.

That's why I like oils. I can paint a section, then if I don't like it, I can literally just wipe it all off with a rag and start over.
 nexthyme
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Painters help me out
Posted: 12/23/2009 9:34:44 PM
JCG77, to me it sounds like you are using oils... Coveredinpaint, has it with the oils, something I admit I have liked working on...

There are many GOOD mediums that will keep the paint wet for a long time, and help blend colors and create clouds, and back grounds that are amazing...

OP keep working, I personally like acrylics, thus am a fan of working with it.

Painting IS dipping a brush in your hearts soul, IF you are that kind of artist, AND if you discover how to paint that way you will find learning works faster... Another helpful practice is sketching out your idea, not every single detail, but enough to what you are wanting to work on...

Get art painting books, especially ones working in the medium you're working with, some with instruction, and some with paintings just to get a good visual of different types of styles, as well as they work to give you a direction to work towards...
 rainman12
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Painters help me out
Posted: 12/24/2009 12:27:24 AM

as well as they work to give you a direction to work towards...

Thanks Next - right now I'm mainly working on more simple/abstract pieces until I learn a bit more about the paints, my skill level/ability etc, as well as having a more complex vision to work towards.

I do like this though:

Painting IS dipping a brush in your hearts soul

Everything I paint will have some sort of meaning to me....it's the clarifying it for others that is the scary/hard part I'm working on.
 nexthyme
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Painters help me out
Posted: 12/24/2009 4:07:05 AM
Rain man you are doing great, painting complexity progresses as you go along... Usually... I did an extremely complex very detailed piece that is to become a National abused womens poster...

It isn't so much about being able to convey the message so much, because no matter the person, they can analyze things in a way that makes you wonder if they are actually looking at your painting...

It is good to work towards a theme, however ultimately you will always hold the key as to what a paintings meaning is, and what each bit of it means... I actually enjoy doing that, as well as doing paintings that are very clear in what a person sees, LOL even those people will ask what things mean...

Good luck
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Painters help me out