Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > social dossers      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Davenro
Msg: 6
view profile
History
social dossersPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
If you have a job right now, think yourself one of the lucky ones. Three of my close friends have recently been made redundant. I think it might be due to the recession?

Also, before pointing the finger at others, you should learn how to formulate sentences, spell and punctuate, because you come across as exactly the type of person you seem to be describing.. uneducated and lazy, which is odd seeing as your profile states that you are in Admin.

But, in order to continue the discussion.. Why do you think people sit on their arses all day?
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 9
view profile
History
social dossers
Posted: 12/21/2009 4:04:37 AM
I think a lot is down to people's own attitudes. Benefits are meant to be a stop gap, not a career choice.

When I split from my hubbie, many years ago, I was entitled to benefits and would have been better off on them than working. Personal pride would not allow me to sit around claiming money, even though I was entitled to it. My daughter was 7 and I paid the local farmers wife to keep an eye on her for an hour after school and during holidays.

I got a part time job but the hours didn't fit round buses and buses were expensive so I bought a moped and froze my ..... fingers off in cold weather. During school holidays it was actually costing me money to work. I took on any overtime in term time to cover the holidays.

I did still get some benefits but was doing my damndest to do what I could to support myself. As soon as my daughter was old enough, I was back in full time work.

People that want to work and are in good health will eventually find work although these days it probably will take longer - those that don't want to work will always find excuses.
 try1more
Msg: 16
view profile
History
social dossers
Posted: 12/21/2009 5:36:24 AM
genius: you wouldn't be referring to reports like this would you?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1237402/The-great-quangocracy-Elite-making-5-000-day-public-bodies.html
 Davenro
Msg: 17
view profile
History
social dossers
Posted: 12/21/2009 5:51:07 AM

people can still have an opinion that may or may not valid regardless of spelling and punctuation ... trying to score points like this is not cool.

So, what was your opinion other than picking out mine, one of the many that had pretty much already said what I did? Perhaps you are the one trying to score points? I read the forums, but I don't often post unless I have something to say.

You know what.. it p**ses me off just as much as the next person when you see what others can and do get away with, although it's just as easy to sit there and make assumptions when you do have a job.. it's different when you don't, and we've all been unemployed at one time or another.

"social dossers" have been around for years, they hang around the streets drinking beer and White Lightning at 10am. Why do you think that is? Because they can, because we have a social system where if you do become unemployed we have a saftey net so you can at least survive. It's the abuse of this system that's the problem... but the opening post was never put across in that way. Just a rant that made little sense.
 sassy_1974
Msg: 20
view profile
History
social dossers
Posted: 12/21/2009 6:25:45 AM
Im a 'social dosser'..
Im a single parent of 5 children-my youngest is 7 months old. I plan on going back to work early in the new year. Im seeing someone after xmas to discuss the child care options.
I've also suffered depression and panic attacks-which yes, have made it hard for me to work as there have been times when just leaving the house has got me in a panic.
Not all single parents choose not to work so they can sit around and do nothing all day..people dont work for all types of reasons, not everyone is a lazy bum.
 badge73
Msg: 27
view profile
History
social dossers
Posted: 12/22/2009 10:12:47 AM

Theres that word carnt again, there's only one poster on the forums I know that spells the word like that, perhaps if you wanted a debate you could have posted it from your real profile?

ever thought some one else might spell it like that? or even know its the way i spell? if you want to make accusations maybe you should report the said profile and ask admin to do an i.p check.
 badge73
Msg: 30
view profile
History
social dossers
Posted: 12/22/2009 10:35:58 AM

Did my original post actually mention you by name? You seem to be getting a bit touchy when I actually didn't say anything about you in the first place. And then you ask me if I know you spell it like that? No one mentioned you.

you didnt have to as its written all over the original comment, and yes you do know how i spell it as you have refered to on another site. but actually what you should do is report, as you have done in the past, as its against the rules to have multiple profiles and indeed your comment regarding them could be ruled as flaming as bares no relevence to the topic.

but again you havent thought this through, as most of the forum know im disabled and on benefits.
 bootielicious
Msg: 37
view profile
History
social dossers
Posted: 7/7/2012 6:51:29 PM
Benefits fraud??? Staying at home to look after your kids instead of busting a gut not to make the same money is not benefits fraud, it's common sense. If the government actually got it right and made it worthwhile for people to send their little darlings away and work then I'm sure many more would.

I heard recently on the Wright Stuff (yes I am not a Jeremy Kyle fan) that one of the ladies pays more for childcare than she does on her mortgage each month. It's total madness!
 PaulNN1
Msg: 39
view profile
History
social dossers
Posted: 7/8/2012 3:27:23 AM
Nobody has mentioned that the minimum wage is so low because employers have to provide benefits.

On top of the percentage of 12% (subject to allowances) they also have to deal with tax credits, maternity allowances and a raft of other paperwork that used to be done by government departments.

With employees adding another 12% (subject to allowances ) it doesn't take anyone particularly smart to realise that even on the most basic calculations an employer hs to find £112 to pay £100 wage and the employee takes home £88.

Thats before holiday pay etc...and another raft of supply your staff with certain things by law including heating ,lighting, safety equipment etc.

What is this word ''entitled'' that keeps appearing. I always thought National Insurance was a scheme you paid into and drew out of if you had problems. There is no other insurance that would pay out if you didn't pay the premiums.

By the way the government does not pay any benefits whatsoever. It is other people working who pay benefits with the government taking a Robin Hood approach.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > social dossers