Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > 2 emails and a request for emailed pix?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 scottey63
Msg: 3
view profile
History
2 emails and a request for emailed pix?Page 1 of 1    
Do you mean she wants you to send photos of YOU, TO her Yahoo e-mail address?

If you have photos posted, and someone asks you to send photos to a Yahoo e-mail address, yes, that is a scam. I see that all the time on Yahoo Personals.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 4
2 emails and a request for emailed pix?
Posted: 12/21/2009 8:07:26 AM
Guys do this to me all the time--for some reason, they think PoF isn't "real" email. I don't quite understand it, and usually say no. I mean, what's the advantage of yahu over PoF for just emailing?
 scottey63
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2009 10:26:17 AM
I don't know what kind of scam it is, because I don't respond. Any picture I have that I'm able or likely to share will already be posted. So asking for more right off the bat is suspect (IMO). And I'm leary of any INITIAL contact where they try to get your e-mail address immediately, usually by asking you to write them directly instead of responding through the website. 9 times out of 10 their profiles are deleted within a day. That's why I beleive it is some kind of scam. Just my opinion, and my experience.

I have no problem with e-mailing directly and sending other pictures after a few e-mail messages have been exchanged through the website or soem contact on IM. I can usually tell at that point if soemone is legitimate.

P.S. Pictures can be sent by e-mail through POF.

P.P.S. I have usually only encountered this on Yahoo Personals and match.com, not on POF.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2009 11:56:29 AM
I've run into a scam going the Other way, offering to SEND me pictures if I contact her through Yahoo. The only 'scam' I can think of off the top of my head (there's so much up there!) is that "she's" selling email addresses to spammers.
Since you are suspicious, you could create a new email address somewhere just for the purpose of sending the pix. Since they are already on here, it shouldn't hurt to send them, but it IS very strange.
 SASSYN89178
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2009 12:05:28 PM
Do you meet people without talking to them on the phone first?
I'm asking because you say you're only 2 short emails in to 'meeting' someone.
I've found quite a few men on this site who won't talk on the phone.

I've never encountered a scammer on this site, only on match. I guess the scammer's feel the people who use this site are poor since it's free.

I always laugh when I guy asks for more pics especially if he's not local. I usually ask if he's looking to add them to his collection on the wall.

It really doesn't matter what we all think.
If you're uncomfortable sending someone your pictures, DON'T.
I really prefer a webcam because you never know how old those pics are.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/21/2009 3:59:52 PM
I'm thinking a scam spam of some sort.

A couple come to mind.
One is similar to the Nigerian thing.
Bogus emails saying how cool you are.
And if you bite then a sick kid or some drama that
can be fixed with $$$.

The other is rival dating sites pull scam this to get your addy.
When you respond, they send you kisses or flirts from their site
saying so-n-so wants to meet you.

The last is simply addy fishing.
Collect enuff and they're worth money.

If you're curious just set up a bogus account with
hotmail, yahoo or any free service.
Once you know which it is, you can cancel it.

I have an addy I only use for online stuff that requires one.
And for iffy emails from iffy folks. It gets a ton of mail I regularly delete.
My main addy is pretty spam free.
Everyone should have at least two email addies for this reason.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/21/2009 5:19:59 PM
This woman claims to be from your town? Was she saying she hates to shovel snow or that she has to? Be careful. Usually when I get email requesting pictures sent to the private email it's usually for ah... spicy pics. Maybe that's what she's looking for? (couldn't resist)
 ForumFilly
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/22/2009 11:26:32 AM
I've asked men to email me their photos to my private email address. You can see their appearance much more clearly than you can on POF. What are you afraid of? You have photos up on here already so what are you worried about? God forbid you should actually exchange emails off POF! Heaven forbid! You might even, dare I say it, get to know this woman in person. I think a lot of people are overly cautious. Seriously, get over it.
 kpooks
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/23/2009 2:21:10 PM
Some of these forum posts are seriously weak. Obviously it's shy people tend to "meet" on the net. Meet in person already...for God's sake...
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/23/2009 5:08:06 PM
joro, I already consider my yahoo email as a throw away addy. I've had the request once, yahoo to yahoo, and no problem. I wouldn't give out my home email addy for a while, till you're pretty sure this is going somewhere. But yahoo? No problem.

Good luck!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > 2 emails and a request for emailed pix?