Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Ladies. Dating hint to the wise - lose the cat      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Spifflog
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Ladies. Dating hint to the wise - lose the catPage 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Not saying that you shouldn't own a cat. Or that you shouldn't love your cat. Or have more than one (I'll that this for another thread).

But if you are actually hoping to find a date on this site, lose the cat pics. Immediately. Any cat pic. Little Max playing with his catnip? Lose it. Jake resting on your shoulder? Delete button. Molly on her back purrrrring away? Shredder.

Don't ask why, because you know why. Guys generally don't like cats. And we view askance at women who love them too much. They truly (honestly) aren't your children. And you having three pics, two of them with cats, makes us want to run really really really fast in the other direction. We're thinking shut-ins. Dateless in the last 15 years. Picture us with four pictures of our trucks, to the power of ten.

I know you used little Buddy as a tissue and cried on him when you had your heart broken last year by harry. And yes your cat really is 'special.' He isn't like 'every other' cat we've ever seen. We honestly would 'love' him if we got to know him. But those cat pics are like nails on a chalk board to us. (And when some guy chimes in on post 8 below saying that he really likes the cat pics, re-read this sentence and don't believe him.)

Don't be a hater. I didn't make us this way. But this is a universally accepted guy law. Just behind the whole gravity thing.

Just trying to do may part, in this festive holiday season, and give the gift of knowledge to all the cat-loving-lady-folk out there. This is free of change, and like they say in the holiday chick flick it's written "without hope or agenda." Use that energy that you have now - that you want to use in sending me a snarky email - to take the action outlined in paragraph two above.

You'll thank me for this someday. No need to gush. A simple "thank you" email will do.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 2
Ladies. Dating hint to the wise - lose the cat
Posted: 12/22/2009 9:16:49 AM
You forgot to tell us what we should do about all the men with cat pics. Since men aren't supposed to like them, should we assume they are all in denial or undateable?

The pics are a good way of weeding out men who we're not going to be a match for, so in fact they SHOULD be posted in profiles. It's a time saver (not that a guy who doesn't like cats or can't be around them would have to see my cats or my house anyway, so in my case it's irrelevant - I'm always willing to avoid having company).

People who like pets should absolutely post pics of them - so the pet lovers can see them, and everyone else can click and move on.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/22/2009 9:32:39 AM
....um stray cats are OK though.
Just to clarify that.

:-P
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/22/2009 9:33:34 AM
Dude, thanks! I didn't realize none of the other guys on here want these women. And, giving them all to us guys that want them is truly an act of kindness. Don't worry we have no problem lightening the load for all the other men on here.

I can certainly say... you'll be remembered for this. Thanks bro....
 ForumFilly
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/22/2009 10:15:19 AM
And, OP, just what does a photo of Maine at 10 below have to say about you? That you like cold real estate? I doubt it. Or, Matt, no photos at all? That you are a blank personality? Hardly. Personally, if I see a profile with a guy showing off all his toys (truck, car, boat, motorcycle, etc) I figure they are an important part of his life and he is looking for someone to share that lifestyle. If he is standing there holding a fish, I immediately think that I hope he doesn't expect me to clean that thing. If he has his dog(s), cat(s) or other pets in his photos, I know he is an animal lover and I like that in a man. I have cats and, no, I don't have photos of them on my profile because I don't want to excite any catophiles that might be lurking on this website. I do state under interests that I love animals.

If you don't care for women who have cats on their profiles, then pass them by. Not every man feels the same way. In fact, I would question your statement that "guys generally don't like cats". By far, the majority of men that I've known over the years HAVE liked/loved cats. That is a huge fallacy that some men seem to enjoy propagating. Liking cats doesn't make you less masculine. It just makes you susceptible to feline wiles and they are addictive.

We each have our own preferences. I would pass by a profile where the guy had a photo of himself hunting or standing there with his kill. I'm not too thrilled with fish photos either but that isn't necessarily a deal breaker. So click on next when you see something you don't like and go on until you find something you do. That's what the rest of us do (did).
 cfb62
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2009 10:41:07 AM
Too funny!!! One man speaking for all!!!
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2009 2:04:12 PM
dude,

So, like what's in the eggnog?

Checked my man-card, and under pets, mine says prefers cats. Independent, sleek, don't slobber, don't crap in their play area, don't need constant attention, let you know when they do want attention, and generally smell better than dogs. And, their claws retract.

What I don't get are women that walk around with a teeny-tiny dog in the crook of their arm or purse every where they go. What's with that?

TK
 rainman12
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2009 2:25:15 PM
I don't have an opinion one way or another about cats, but since I'm allergic the pics help me find out in advance whether or not I might need to pop an anti-histamine before going over to her place. Definitely good to know before my eyes get all itchy and red and I start sneezing all over the joint.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/22/2009 2:35:16 PM
OP, thank you for the advice.

Isn't my cat cute?

JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/22/2009 3:17:36 PM
Yuck - not a fan of cats. When I see a guy in his profile picture holding a cat, I can't click the "back" button soon enough.
 platypus_man
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2009 3:35:13 PM
While I'm inclined to agree with the OP (in all my life, I've only known one guy who likes cats), it's often the behavior of treating and interacting with the cat(s) as replacements for babies that bothers us the most. Talking to them in baby talk, acting as if they understand every word, carrying them around in your purse, dressing them up, it's all just plain disturbing to the vast majority of men. BTW, this goes for behaving the same with little yappy dogs as well. Also, if we can tell you have cats by the smell of your home (or god forbid your clothes), it's a turn off.
 ForumFilly
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/22/2009 4:35:46 PM
^^^^^^^ and two more put downs of photos with cats from guys who have NONE.

I'd rather see a man with his pet than not see what he looks like at all.
 O Just Fun
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/22/2009 6:12:25 PM
HEE- cats make guys like that have "small" "aspirations." He blusters to draw attention away from his "small" "aspiration" hehehe. He just can't stand it that a cat is better company & he can blow away with no one noticing. JEALOUSY, thats all. Bet he has a "mangina," too...hhheeeehehehehe
 SASSYN89178
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2009 7:24:16 PM

Well, bless your heart.

Nightfall301
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/23/2009 4:46:03 PM
I think the OP would prefer if PlentyOfFish would set up a separate site, like "PlentyOfCATFish", so he wouldn't be exposed to all those hideous pet owners out there.
We must be an affront to some deity, for continuing to provide a place and function for creatures that our distant ancestors domesticated.
I'm feeling like I should post a cat photo, to weed out female versions of the OP.
I will say - I'm thoroughly unimpressed by people who have photos of quads, cars, and residences - but I'm not calling for the removal of those photos. They can help weed people out. He should be thanking those people with pet photos, for weeding themselves out.
For me, though... any female's profile showing that female armed and looking like she knows what she's doing - big bonus points.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 12/23/2009 10:12:50 PM
even as the cat lovers and haters hiss and spit and claw at each other in this thread, the fundamental issue is being overlooked. namely, that every low-yield junior-varsity comedian back to borscht belt has tried to mine this played-out vein. the op's sin has nothing to do with animals and everything to do with comedic instincts.

hey op, got some great new material for you: what do the starship enterprise and toilet paper have in common? they both circle uranus searching for klingons! HARHARHAR
 ForumFilly
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/24/2009 10:13:27 PM
*Sanscheyle*, I was wondering when you and the furkids were going to put in an appearance. It's about damn time!

Yes, the OP's opening post was pretty amusing, all in all. And I am guessing that it was done for the comic relief it provided more than for the supposed helpful hint he was kind enough to provide. I must admit that I did chuckle while reading it although my cats didn't seem to find it anywhere nears as amusing when I read it out loud to them. But then their senses of humor are more refined than mine.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/25/2009 2:56:51 AM

Guys generally don't like cats.

Wow, I will be sure to tell the men whom I know who like cats. They might lose their Man Card or something.

We're thinking shut-ins. Dateless in the last 15 years.

If my profile gives the image of "shut-in" and "dateless," then you aren't looking at my pictures properly, are you? (And I know you haven't looked at my profile--I am making a point.)

Picture us with four pictures of our trucks, to the power of ten.

Do your fellow males a favor: start a forum telling them to leave off the pictures of fish, dead animals, motorcycles, and cars--none are impressive. Oh, wait! There ARE such profiles . . . and yet, guys still do it.

I think I'll take a new pic with me and the cats. I might even bring in the two outdoor cats and have a family pic.

Let me tell you something, dude--if a woman is halfway attractive, even cat hating men will overlook pictures of her cat. It's the nature of the beast.
 Sapphireeyes
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/25/2009 10:13:06 AM
LMAO what a funny thread, I agree that the OP was just playing around and it's funny how many people got totally bent out of shape by it.

My daughter has two cats, bottle feed from 3 weeks old when their mother was killed, and my roommate has two cats...I have a dog but when I wake up in the mornings I normally have 3 of the 4 cats sleeping on or near me and I am allergic to cats!

We should ask for kitty icons!
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/25/2009 5:04:27 PM

LMAO what a funny thread, I agree that the OP was just playing around and it's funny how many people got totally bent out of shape by it.

"Many a truth is spoken in jest."

Even though he presented it humorously, I still think he means it.
 Merrylass
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/25/2009 11:09:53 PM
Here's the thing. Men who dislike cats dislike independent creatures. They prefer servile dogs (and, probably, women). I have no use for men who dislike cats - so, for me, missing out on some cat-hating malcontent is no loss whatsoever.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/26/2009 6:48:50 AM

Every chick Ive dated that has had cats was batshit crazy.

You sound as if being crazy is a bad thing. May you be blessed with totally normal chicks for the rest of your life.

(Gwen walks away, humming and wondering what makes a woman "normal" and "sane"?)
 TheReason_
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2009 7:17:55 AM
I'm an animal lover, I've had cats and dogs. Either is perfectly fine with me!

bikeman1467
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2009 4:14:08 PM
lose the cat pics. Immediately. Any cat pic.
I disagree. I think the cat pics are cool. Like many of the women state in this thread, if the cat pics filter out the animal-hating losers, more power to them--an effective way to screen out negative-thinking people.

Guys generally don't like cats.
The only guys I know who dislike cats are the sort who drive pickups with their dogs in tow. I think their fragile egos require the constant attention-seeking that dogs give them.

And we view askance at women who love them too much.
Speak for yourself. I like the cat pics and I like "cat women". Meow.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/27/2009 10:44:16 AM

The only guys I know who dislike cats are the sort who drive pickups with their dogs in tow. I think their fragile egos require the constant attention-seeking that dogs give them.

Wow, had to quote this one again for truth. People who like pets but not cats probably don't like the fact that cats don't tend to fall all over people and worship them, unless they are in the mood to. Too much unintended ego deflation.

I like cats because they usually don't need me to entertain them constantly (two are even better because they entertain each other when necessary) - and they're pretty low maintenance.

And I know this was a joke thread, but of course people who don't like cats or pets at all are better off seeing pics of pets before they contact someone they wouldn't want to end up dating anyway.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Ladies. Dating hint to the wise - lose the cat