Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Mexico - Where to Go?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
Mexico - Where to Go?Page 1 of 1    
I was thinking of Monterrey, but what are some other spots in Mexico I could go visit? Like if you had a budget of, oh, $500? Also my Spanish is okay, I can read and speak it a little but I'm not fluent, so I guess I'd also need a spot where if I can't speak it well I won't starve.
 belikan
Msg: 2
Mexico - Where to Go?
Posted: 1/2/2010 7:44:45 PM
pick up a copy of the lonely planet. it is a good guide as to where to go.

also u can search out areas on the internet via tour group sites. they give great suggestions which u can do on your own.
 new fisherman
Msg: 3
Mexico - Where to Go?
Posted: 1/3/2010 2:29:37 PM
use google

$500 can get you a month in mexico if you know what to do and where to go.
$500 can also be spent fast if you let
 chaswhatif
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Mexico - Where to Go?
Posted: 1/5/2010 5:02:24 PM
Sonora...Herimiso's the town.Safe clean 120 miles from the beach.500=14 days.
Unless,like me,residuals cover a 7 suited compound.Take a few pals/drink mescal.
 mustang_kiwi
Msg: 5
Mexico - Where to Go?
Posted: 1/8/2010 3:43:32 PM
I have a couple friends, one is from Canada and the other from England, who moved to Mexico a couple years ago and purchased a house and renovated it and started a bed and breakfast. Its in a city called Cuernavaca, and it is a gorgeous place to stay :) very homey but still close to tourist sites.

http://www.casachocolate.com

Cathy and Christine are the perfect hosts :)
 earthskynC
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Mexico - Where to Go?
Posted: 1/14/2010 3:59:58 PM
Go to Cancun, the Riviera Maya is beautiful, there's quite a bit of tourists but not enough where you can't relax & enjoy. And, Playa del Carmen is a nice little area to check out the shops.
 Auggie2612
Msg: 7
Mexico - Where to Go?
Posted: 1/24/2010 7:30:27 PM
Gotta love 5A in Playa. But thinking not a $500 destination for a long period of time..
 ElisaAnne
Msg: 8
Mexico - Where to Go?
Posted: 1/28/2010 10:48:21 PM
Hi there,
I have lived several times in Mexico. You can stay there as inexpensively or as expensively as you choose. The cheapest hotel I stayed in was in Merida and cost $2.50 a night but required a person to provide their own sheets and towels. Considering how inexpensive those are at the local market, no big deal. It wasn't luxurious, but I was there to explore, not stay at a resort. All through this area there is so much to see and do. You can go to the Mayan ruins or relax on the beach.

Mexico City also has some wonderful hotels for the budget traveler. Flying into D.F. is relatively inexpensive. While there, you can catch the metro to most anywhere in the city for around a quarter (one way). There are so many things to see and do there that a week would not even start to cover the place. However, you can also catch a bus from D.F. (Distrito Federal - also known as Mexico City) to great places like Taxco which is the silver capital of Mexico, not to mention gorgeous. Acapulco is also a short days bus ride. Cuernavaca is close as is Puebla. Puebla has some of the most beautiful churches to tour. Day trips from Mexico City include the Aztec city of Tenochtitlan, Chinconqua (not positive on the spelling here, but this place is a market to end all markets), and various other small towns with lots to offer.

Some will tell you Mexico is extremely dangerous. It is. However, as a "gringa" I was able to travel and see and do without much trouble. The problems arise when Americans do not bother to observe their surroundings and pay attention. Just as I would not walk through a crime ridden, poverty stricken, neighborhood in the US after dark, the same holds true in other countries. By practicing a bit of common sense, in all my time and travels I was only mugged once. I lost my shawl which cost a sum total of nearly $4. By paying attention, being cognizant of what was occuring around me and respectful of others, I had no problems whatsoever.

Good luck on your trip and may you enjoy yourself fully.
 moonhitide
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Mexico - Where to Go?
Posted: 2/7/2010 8:52:31 AM
Just got back from a week in Cancun. It's got it all, quit beaches and pools for sun lovers. Nightlife and all night clubs if that's what your into. Beautiful shopping malls and restaurants. Close to the airport. Most people in the hotel zone speak English. Day trips to the ruins or snorkeling on the worlds second largest reef. Good place to get your start as a Mexican tourist.
 9Pluto
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Mexico - Where to Go?
Posted: 3/10/2010 11:33:43 PM
I wouldn't recomend Monterrey for your purposes, after looking at your profile. $500 just won't cut it here and I get the feeling that you would miss out on that "Mexico" feel of being in Mexico that Americans seek. Monterrey is a city with a dizzying rhythm more like San Antonio Texas except for the mess which refers more to the traffic and terrible lack of urban planning! That said it can be a beautiful place once you know it, and there may be more English speakers here to help you as a crutches. The Barrio Antiguo is an area to check out for music and artsy stuff. But it is expensive - easy to go through $500 in just a week. You'll probably want to stick to south of Texas just to economize on the transportation costs rather that ending up in Sonora, etc. Based on your budget and cultural/musical aspirations I would suggest Morelia, Mexico City, Oaxaca, or Veracruz. San Miguel de Allende would be great, perhaps Aguascalientes too, but the budget might be higher there - especially San Miguel. Good Luck
 DP372
Msg: 11
Mexico - Where to Go?
Posted: 3/17/2010 3:05:57 PM
Referring to msg 5, Cuernavaca is also where all the total immersion language schools are located. Attending could be a fun and rewarding way to spend a week or two.
Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Mexico - Where to Go?