Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Your Music Collection and use of it      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 zx12r998
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Your Music Collection and use of itPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Who here has a nice music collection? And what do listen with?
I have an extensive collection of numerous types of music. I have 80 gigs in my Zune. The situation dictates what I listen to from country to heavy metal.
 Ska_Voovie
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Your Music Collection and use of it
Posted: 12/29/2009 5:15:08 PM
Pedro - my [ now ex] wife did the same - took my record collection to the tip - thats why she's my EX - it has to be one of the most vicious things they can do !!!.
Unlike yourself , I have rebuilt it with cd's - mostly Soul & Ska , but also Blues , jazz & African stuff , it's amazing what is available on cd !!
Oh and I use it for Dj'ing as well as listening at home
 Ska_Voovie
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2009 5:40:21 PM
Pedro - just watched - still laughing !!! . Read the book many times , is it a 'chick flick '? mmm , jury's still out on that one !!
mans obssesion with music !!! did you know that an original 7" vinyl copy of Frank Wilson - Do I love you , sold for £25,000 earlier this year ? - i have it on cd 8 times over !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwvpeYiQwss

luckily I didn't have a copy 'back in the day'
 jezdrummer
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2009 7:08:47 PM
blues, jazz, johnny cash, METAL ( all of it's subgenres) classical, movie scores, video game scores, world music, comedy, new age celtic stuff, fusion, funk, atmospheric,
 jezdrummer
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2009 7:11:13 PM
forgot to post use of my music ..

i only have a small cheapo mp3 player (2 gigs) .. i load it with whatever i'm in the mood for at the time. i have a huge cd case that stays in my car .. (over 100 disks)
and about 80 gigs on my computer.. silence irritates me i need music playing at all times or i spaz out
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2009 9:56:40 PM
I have about 800 CDs... the majority of which are film scores. the next largest genre in my collection is that of Electronic "Space" music(Steve Roach, Michael Stearns, David Hykes, Iasos, Aeoliah, etc.), the rest is mostly rock, classical, and various other genres.
I think the OP asked what type of system we use to play our music... I have an Onkyo CD player, and Onkyo receiver, a Sony tape deck(Yep... I STILL record my CDs onto cassette to listen to in the car! ), and I have a set of terrific JVC speakers that I salvaged from my old JVC boombox...may it rest in "pieces"!
 RSwindol
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/6/2010 7:54:50 AM
I use a Zune 80, which I wish I had bought 2 months later when they came out with the 120 GB with the same price.

But my music ranges from adult alternative to hip hop to classical and even folk. I don't get much into country, overly heavy metal, or heavy gangster rap. But I will at least dabble in most other genres.

I have a lot of music in my collection that people here in Mississippi don't hear on the radio, so I get a lot of strange looks when people scroll through my collection.

Aside from my trusty Zune, I also have a Logitech Wireless Jukebox, which is nothing more than transmitter connected to my computer, a receiver connected to my surround sound system, and a wireless remote that allows me to browse my computer's music collection much like an MP3 player. At my New Years Eve party, I had my Celestion surround sound system playing all my music on random inside my house while outside (around the fire pit) we listened to my Zune randomizing my play-list through a Klipsch docking station.

One guy told me "I don't know much of the music playing, but I really like it". A woman later said "can't you play something we know". He's invited to my next party...she may not be...lol.
 Ultra_Hottie
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2010 11:45:03 PM
I'm a huge Bon Jovi Fan so I have most of thier albums in my collection. However, I download all my music and then upload it to my Ipod, and then listen to it through my stereo.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2010 5:00:03 PM
I have around 300 CD's, recently transferred to hard-drive and further to Ipod. I'll tick off a few names for a couple categories, but the full list would be too huge to write.

Rock/pop - Bands that can play their own instruments. Generally not dance stuff, punk or rap, although there are exceptions - Kanye, Eminem, Ice-T, NWA. More often, I like particular songs as opposed to bands as a whole.

Alternative - More my taste in rock as a rule. I like the musically challenging bands like Soundgarden and System of a Down, Chevelle, Rage against the Machine.

Bluegrass, but not country pop - Charlie Daniels and Nickel Creek rule. Brooks and Dunn can kiss my ass, and they better not meet me in a dark alley singing "My Maria".

Raggae - Pretty much Bob Marley is all I know. Good stuff.

Jazz - Buddy Rich rules. So does John Coltrane, early Miles Davis (not the later crap), Charlie Parker, Dave Brubeck, etc. Smooth Jazz can equally kiss my ass. KennyG is the [censored] Anti-Christ.

Fusion Jazz/Arty stuff - Bela Fleck is great. Chick Corea, The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jean Luc Ponty, Brand X (Phil Collins, mega awesome drummer)....I know, dating myself bad here. Ronald Shannon Jackson, Henry Cow, Camel, Brian Eno, BeBop Deluxe.

Metal - Metallica, of course. Also Sepultura and Pantera, although their overall repetoires not as good, but a few standout albums.

Classic rock - All the majors: Stones, Who, Zeppelin, ELP, Yes, Traffic, Cream, Hendrix (especially the Band of Gypsys), Genesis, VH (Diamond Dave, not Screamin' Sammy)......so many. REO speedwagon can kiss my ass.

R&B/Soul/Funk - Marvin Gaye rules. "Mercy mercy me" one of my all time favorites. Ray Charles and James Brown, of course. Earth Wind and Fire, Gap band, Chic and Parliment Funkadelic, although P/F to lesser degree to me personally. Barry White for pure mojo, baby.

World Music - Not so much, but there are exceptions.

Latin - Getz/Gilberto. Awesome stuff.

Classical - Beethoven rules. Piano in general rocks, although Spanish guitar rocks as well. Opera blows for the most part. What the hell are they talking about?! Carmina Burana (sp?) one of the exceptions.
 rebelgirlatheart
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2010 8:37:36 PM
I also have a ton of music. I currently have 80 gigs on my desktop and then another 32 on my laptop.
Then I have about 70 vinyl records and about 150 cd's. I use my iPod, desktop, laptop, and stereo to fees my addiction. haha
I listen to a little bit of everything, old country, punk, rock, heavy metal (and all it's sub-genres. EXCEPT for Metallica. I hate 'em!) electronic, indie, hip hop, oldie goldies, classical, classic rock, trance.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Your Music Collection and use of it