Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Help! My fridge isn't working!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Super Ryan
Msg: 2
Help! My fridge isn't working!Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
It could be ice buildup. Try defrosting your freezer.
Another simple problem could be dust buildup on the backside. Try cleaning the plumbing on the back.
 JWG86
Msg: 8
Help! My fridge isn't working!
Posted: 12/30/2009 7:40:20 PM
Relax... relax... The little light in it still comes on when she opens the door, so the universe won't end yet.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2009 7:55:08 PM
the fridge gets its cooling from the freezer, check for blockage at lower center of freezer. If your packing your freezer, cold air will not migrate down to the fridge.
 bernta
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/30/2009 8:05:19 PM
When my fridge did this I took everything out of the freezer and removed the tray off the bottom of the freezer. That allowed me to see the passage way between the freezer and the rest of the fridge. It was COMPLETELY blocked with ice! More than two inches. I unplugged the fridge and let it sit for 24 hours. When the ice was all melted, I plugged it back in and it's been working ever since! Give it a try, might save you a callout fee!
 daynadaze
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2009 11:15:47 PM
We are having this problem right now, and it's a problem with the cooling control to the fridge, freezer is working fine. We are waiting for the part to come in. And yes we had to defrost the coils to the fridge because the constant running caused them to freeze up. The coils I'm talking about were inside the fridge, behind a panel. Also the coils were not on the back but underneath, the ones you need to dust once in a while.

Hope you get yours up & running soon.
 shmodzilla
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/31/2009 6:50:42 AM
Very possible the thermoasstat itself took a dump. The one you set to zero and didnt help
 yna6
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/31/2009 8:04:05 PM
New-fangled stuff like that always gives ya problems! Go back to using a good ice-box! That won't let ya down! Yessir, by gum! It is also far "greener" and you can run a line outside to take care of the water drips! Ice is easy enough to get anytime too...probably cheaper than the electricity you're using now!
How's about someone make a solar powered fridge! I've got an idea......
 CA_import
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2010 8:25:37 PM
At least in a side-by-side, the fridge does get it's cooling from the freezer side, as someone here stated. The device that controls the amount of air that gets passed from the freezer to the fridge side could be the cause of the malfunction. Although the electronic controller might still be working, the small adjustable mechanical "door" in this mechanism can break or stick.
My GE had this problem years ago, while still barely within the warranty. I was renting the house (furnished) at the time, and the repair man replaced the part without me there, so I never got to actually see where it is mounted. I'm fairly sure it would be in the back. Hope this helps!
 BlueEyes1712
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2010 7:34:24 PM
It could be a ice buildup. You could try defrosting it. Also see if the fan is running inside the fridge. The fride door has a switch when depressed allows the internal fan to run and also shuts off the interiour light.
Listen for the fan. There is generally an access door in the rear of the interior fridge to access the fan and or cooling coil. Just becareful in there, use no sharp objects. With a frozen anything, there is a reason for it freezing up which could be for a variety of reasons. Start there.
 normaldude
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2010 8:44:54 AM
if the coils in the fridge are covered in frost then most likely culprit is the defrost bi-metal, or defrost timer or possibly the defrost heater. you can use a hair drier to clear the frost and ice and if it comes back in a few weeks then you need to change that bi-metal or if youre not into that call a repair person!!!! As long as its winter in canada you dont have to worry too much yet! unless you get raccoons...
 CAGrace4
Msg: 26
Posted: 9/30/2010 3:17:23 PM
I want to thank you for asking for help on this topic, as I had the same issue. Also, I want to thank all whom answered your call for help. The suggestions were very helpful, and today my fridge is up and running cold once again. Turns out, ice built up on the vent between the freezer and fridge. Cheers :)
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Help! My fridge isn't working!