Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > UNDER EMPLOYED      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dew47
Msg: 1
view profile
History
UNDER EMPLOYEDPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I was talking with a friend who was a purchasing agent for a long time with a company but quit about three years ago because of a spat with their boss...his family hired him part time but the recession hit and couldn't get hired again in the purchasing field either from it being too competitive, or he just wasn't a good interviewer. They made him a truck driver, and won't let him do anything else, he is highly educated and was a very talented buyer but they don't believe he can do anything else...he told me he is making more money now then he ever had....6 figuires....I know things are tough but he still feels there is something better out there and just isn't happy...I try to help him in anyway but you can only do so much....has anyone on here had this happen to them or a friend and what could they do to make it better.......
 SecretSpice
Msg: 2
UNDER EMPLOYED
Posted: 1/8/2010 3:44:28 PM
No one quits a job they love and are good at over a "spat" ... there has to be more to this story.
 kissmyasthma
Msg: 3
UNDER EMPLOYED
Posted: 1/8/2010 3:47:55 PM
Quit for talking back to a boss, family business gave him a job as a truck driver so he can make 6 figures and you are asking what exactly?

My god at least he didn't have to take a ten dollar an hour job, then maybe he could be considered under employed but still not seeing the problem here.
 dew47
Msg: 4
view profile
History
UNDER EMPLOYED
Posted: 1/8/2010 4:09:16 PM
well you are right....there is more to it....he drinks alittle too much which can make him not think quite right....lol.... but I was wondering if other people have this employment problem...
 SecretSpice
Msg: 5
UNDER EMPLOYED
Posted: 1/8/2010 4:29:42 PM
So, its an employment problem and not a drinking problem yet he makes 6 figures? Where can I sign up? I'll bring my own bottle!
 JWG86
Msg: 6
UNDER EMPLOYED
Posted: 1/8/2010 5:48:05 PM
Yeah. That's rough. Life dealt him a bad card man, what can I say? I would just end it here and now if I was only making six-figures.
 You want the truth...
Msg: 7
UNDER EMPLOYED
Posted: 1/8/2010 6:04:40 PM
Drinks a little too much and given a job as a truck driver???

Anybody else see problems with this?
 dew47
Msg: 8
view profile
History
UNDER EMPLOYED
Posted: 1/8/2010 6:15:06 PM
I have been trying to tell that too but he doesn't listen
 JWG86
Msg: 9
UNDER EMPLOYED
Posted: 1/8/2010 7:06:13 PM

Yeah, no truck-driver I ever heard of makes six-figures unless they include the two to the right of the decimal.
 raxarsr
Msg: 10
view profile
History
UNDER EMPLOYED
Posted: 1/8/2010 7:31:49 PM
the only drivers i've ever heard of that made 6 figures are the ones who haul ...lets just say very touchy stuff for the government.....sure.some make very good money....but from a small family operation?..............sounds mighty fishy.

as far as being underemployed?..........how?.....hes not asking "do you want fries with that"? is he?........why do so called "professionals" look down on the working man?....most trades require a 5 yr apprenticeship.........basically.....a "college" education.......the guy is working and i'm guessing.making ok money.....trust me.....theres 10 people ready and willing to step into his shoes if he quits...........tell hm to shut up....get sober and be thankfull
 ZenBeth
Msg: 11
UNDER EMPLOYED
Posted: 1/8/2010 9:50:48 PM
Hes underemployed yet drinks drives a truck and makes six figures???????

In this day and age most people would be so damn thankful for a job that paid that much, and they wouldn't be drinking and complaining either!!! Your friend is an ungrateful jerk.

~Beth~
 Vancer
Msg: 12
UNDER EMPLOYED
Posted: 1/8/2010 11:17:40 PM
The most interesting part of this topic, is sitting here and getting to figure out what this is really about.
Why this topic's particular details really had to be shared.
 barbee1970
Msg: 13
UNDER EMPLOYED
Posted: 1/8/2010 11:28:04 PM
He says six figures is UNDER EMPLOYED?? Hell where do we sign up?
 outofthedesert
Msg: 14
UNDER EMPLOYED
Posted: 1/9/2010 3:45:04 AM
Perhaps his drinking led to the spat and now the drinking can lead to him driving an 80000 pound rig and killing someone. Sounds like he won't have this problem for long.

In my very humble and personal opinion.
 yna6
Msg: 15
UNDER EMPLOYED
Posted: 1/9/2010 7:13:43 AM
6 figures? He is a "problem drinker"? He drives for a living, for a "family" operation. He's running something other than "regular loads", I think I can say that with some safety!
He'll get nailed, as will the "family" and he won't have to worry about only making 6 figures...as he watches life go by from behind bars...but hey...he'll be with his family!
 RSwindol
Msg: 16
view profile
History
UNDER EMPLOYED
Posted: 1/9/2010 7:36:20 AM

I was thinking the same thing. But everyone has their own perspective on things right? Just like some people consider 6 figures during a time of recession as being "under employed".

OP, on a serious note, I understand what you are trying to say, and that is the guy could be doing bigger and better things. This could be said of pretty much any one of use here. The problem may be that he's not applying himself.

There are plenty of brilliant people out there who go unnoticed because they do not apply themselves. To an extent, I think we are probably all guilty of that. If this friend of yours is waiting around for someone to recognize his aptitude, then he's probably got a long line to wait in. He needs to get it ass in the front of they line by making himself available, known, and open for change. If he can't find the right job in his area, tell him to move to a different area. If he gives you excuses as to why this isn't possible, then he's more than likely doing just that...making excuses.

For someone to be great, they first have to make an effort to be great.
 SecretSpice
Msg: 17
UNDER EMPLOYED
Posted: 1/9/2010 8:42:07 AM
I did understand the post but then I got jealous at the 6-figure comment. The truth is he needs to "apply" himself as stated above. You are writing this thread for him - he isn't even doing that. He may be happy with everyone taking care of him ... this is enabling him and causing him not to take any responsibility. He isn't a victim of the economy by any means.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 18
view profile
History
UNDER EMPLOYED
Posted: 1/9/2010 9:19:09 AM
I was also confused by the OP. Looking at the thread title, I assumed we would be talking about real under employment. I work in the construction trades and have been thrust into under employment this past year reminiscent of the trickled upon early 80s when many of us resorted to migrant labor. Nearly everyone I have worked with this past year laments the lack of work, the projects suddenly put on hold or unexpectedly canceled completely. Competition is fierce in the bidding process for work that remains, and people are desperately taking cuts in pay just to get out of the house.

It's difficult to feel sorry for a gent making six figures at a time when families are losing their homes, becoming homeless, kids included, and millions of others are barely holding on, working hand to mouth. The long term unemployed now account for 40% of the 15.3 million Americans officially acknowledged to be unemployed. Many of the under employed like most of the folks I know, don't even show up in the 17.3% official figure of un and under employed. The real figures are probably closer to a quarter of us affected substantially by the economic meltdown.
 kari135
Msg: 19
view profile
History
UNDER EMPLOYED
Posted: 1/9/2010 10:19:18 AM
I don't get what the question is about. Under employed is an MBA managing a hole in the wall strip club to make sure his bills are paid and children fed. It's a recent college grad who's taught elementary schools for two years brilliantly and ended up not getting tenure because of budget cuts who is now flipping burgers to pay his or her bills.

The whiner - the OP's friend - needs someone to tell him to get over himself and get a life. At least he's working, no matter what' he's earning, which an increasing number of people aren't.
 EvilLolli
Msg: 20
view profile
History
UNDER EMPLOYED
Posted: 1/9/2010 6:15:19 PM
Welcome to the era of entitlement. Not only is having a job paying six figures part time(per the OP "his family hired him part time") , stable job that you manage to keep despite drinking not enough-- it's underemployment if you aren't using your degree? Dang! In that case I am due a MAJOR pay raise.

OP tell your friend to put on his big girl panties and grow up! Maybe the reason he can't get hired back into his field or is not allowed to do anything else has more to do with his issues than with the actual job. Just because someone is "highly educated" and "talented" does not entitle them to having their dream job. That's just how reality works.
 akamyrna
Msg: 21
UNDER EMPLOYED
Posted: 1/10/2010 12:32:47 AM
It's better to be under employed than unemployed. Sometimes one door closes and another opens, if you are smart enough to see the possibilities and take advantage of them. Or, you can just whine and moan and feel sorry for yourself.
 r90sboxer
Msg: 22
view profile
History
UNDER EMPLOYED
Posted: 1/10/2010 7:55:37 AM

I was talking with a friend who was a purchasing agent for a long time.....

A "friend" huh?OK....
 imsophie1
Msg: 23
view profile
History
UNDER EMPLOYED
Posted: 1/10/2010 8:10:49 AM
Your "friend" drinks and drives truck? After spending a lifetime involved with the trucking industry, I guarantee that his day will come. At that time, he will no longer find himself (what he calls) underemployed. He will be considered unemployable and will be black-listed in more than just the trucking industry. But who knows? Maybe something like that is what he'll need to realize he should quit drinking, grow up, quit whining, and learn to appreciate the things he has. It's just a shame that he'll most likely end up hurting himself or someone else before he wakes up.
 readyfornow
Msg: 24
view profile
History
UNDER EMPLOYED
Posted: 1/14/2010 3:26:11 PM
Some people are never satisfied. I just hope for his sake he's banking some of those six figures. At the rate he's going, he'll probably need the money soon.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 25
view profile
History
UNDER EMPLOYED
Posted: 1/14/2010 3:32:55 PM
Oh man life must suck for him making 6 figures in which a machine is doing 90% of the work. LOL no kidding if he doesn't like that job there are many people on this forum that would be glad to take that job off of his hands.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > UNDER EMPLOYED