Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > diets verses fitness      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 wishingwell555
Msg: 1
diets verses fitnessPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Which is more effective in loosing weight, diets or fitness?
In what ways does diets help to loose weight more than fitness
or visa versa? Fitness here is refering to exercises.
I hope I am wording this right.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 2
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/9/2010 4:50:33 PM

Which is more effective in loosing weight, diets or fitness?

Eat right to obtain and maintain a healthy weight.

Exercise to obtain and maintain a healthy level of fitness.

Exercise is never and should never be considered a replacement for a poor diet.

If you are exercising you need to consume extra calories to maintain your metabolic rate, if not you are doing the same thing as starving yourself.

IMO
Going on a "diet" is a disaster waiting to happen, eating the right amount of calories to obtain and maintain a healthy weight base on your age, height, sex and activity level is the only way to do it.
 satx78218
Msg: 3
view profile
History
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/9/2010 4:55:22 PM
Almost nobody use a health club membership for more that 6 months.

Almost nobody gets any exercise, and fewer do exercise, polls say.

But everybody can restrict calories 200-300 calories/day, without feeling starved or pre-occupied with food.

Diet is the best path, the foundation for long-term lean weight maintenance and overall health, aka, "Eating your way to health".

People who say they can't lose weight without intense, or some, exercise, are simply eating too much. Probably eating "like everybody else", when everybody else is over-eating the pathogenic Standard American Diet.

Eat well to lose/maintain weight.

Exercise to be fit.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 4
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/9/2010 5:37:40 PM
Exercise has great mental health benefits. It can affect a person's stress level, hormone balance, and happiness. Exercising can assist in lowering the glucose levels in your blood, which is important to keep diabetes away. Exercise can as well assist in keeping muscle and bone density, and regular exercise should maintain or exercise flexibility. Only a fool wouldn't exercise in some fashion regularly.

Diet however is incredibly important. Beyond calories, you should ensure you are getting the nutrients your body needs. Diet can affect numerous different hormone balances as well- something that simple calorie counting does not take into account. Eat a well balanced diet with minimal processed foods. Make your foods. Eat things that don't come with nutritional labels (fruit, veg, meat), that don't have more than 2 or 3 ingredients, and never an ingredient if you don't know what it is. The closer your food is to nature when it comes into your home, the healthier it is. Subsequently, the healthier you will be. Moreover simply counting calories does not take into account the fact that fats, proteins, and carbs are metabolized differently.

There's little point in being skinnier if you're still not healthy- which is entirely possible.

(How does anyone count calories and not be pre-occupied with food??? If you're counting calories, you are preoccupied with food, and doing math all day. Talk about an enjoyment stealer.)
 BOT TAK
Msg: 5
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/9/2010 7:36:34 PM
They say diet is responsible for 70-75% of weight loss, and exercises for 25-30%

but who are they to say that
 wishingwell555
Msg: 6
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/10/2010 5:58:13 AM

There's little point in being skinnier if you're still not healthy- which is entirely possible.

(How does anyone count calories and not be pre-occupied with food??? If you're counting calories, you are preoccupied with food, and doing math all day. Talk about an enjoyment stealer.)

This is very true! lol

All of You have given me such good advice on this topic!
I want to thank You all who have gave me input here.
 pacerhimself
Msg: 7
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/10/2010 6:16:11 AM
Fitness is not separate from diet. Fitness is dependent on your diet and how much you exercise.

And for the love of god, don't think of a diet as something that you go on. You have a diet right now - your diet is whatever it is that you eat. If you have a crappy diet, you change your diet.

If you are really serious about 'getting fit', which for most people is just another saying for burning fat you have to know how many calories your burn on an average day, and how many calories you consume. How do you do that? Google 'Harris Benedict Equation'.

If you really are up for cutting weight, try to keep about a 500 calorie deficit per day. You'll have a slow 1 lb per week weight loss. I've heard that's about the most an average person can do without initiating a starvation response from their body.

With respect to diet, about the simplest thing you can do is not eat fast food or excessively processed food. If you do this, your fat and sodium intake will drop dramatically. Unless you eat a lot of eggs and a ton of almonds or nuts, you probably won't ever hit the RDI of fat. Make a point to have a great big serving of vegetables with your supper and maybe snack on them throughout the day.

Everything about this is all painfully simple. It's really just don't eat shitty food and get some activity. Don't go on a diet, change your diet.
 SecretSpice
Msg: 8
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/10/2010 7:30:30 AM

This is not true. I have been a member (different gyms) for over 20 years ... I have been at my current gym for almost 15 years.
 DiannaBall
Msg: 9
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/10/2010 7:43:12 AM
Losing body fat? Diet. 100%. Fitness and exercise? Is the added benefit to the food we eat. I have tried a couple of different approaches and have finally, thank God been given the right "diet" to live on to accompany my fitness program. To me, both topics here are a lifestyle choice. And what you make of either or both is up to you. We all have different goals. Which is healthier? If I was forced to choose I would say diet. Only because I have always exercised and been very athletic my whole life, but the eating is what has made the over all difference. So now, I just do both. Getting the right diet for me was the key. However, I am trying to add major size and lower the body fat. So, I had to do some major juggling. What a circus that was!!
 monalee1
Msg: 10
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/10/2010 9:14:56 AM
hi... in my personal experience with helping people to lose weight I found it more helpful to correct the diet and then lead them to a good fitness routine... fitness has to happen though in order for someone to be truly healthy and diet has to be addressed if you want more than just ~looking healthy~... fitness can be in the form of walking, gardening, climbing , skating, swimming etc but diet is about nourishing the body with the foods that are biologically ment for us.... blessings for health
 satx78218
Msg: 11
view profile
History
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/10/2010 10:27:38 AM
"This is not true"

... for you.

"Fitness Center Facts:

1 in 5 club members use their club at least twice per week.
40% of those who join health clubs stop going soon afterwards.

Source: Health and Fitness Website
http://www.healthandfitness.com/resources/evalu.asp

In the article Time Management Facts and Figures by Dr. Donald E.
Wetmore, it says that 90% of those who join health and fitness clubs
will stop going within the first 90 days.
http://www.dovico.com/time-management-factsandfigures.html
"

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/138544.html
 SecretSpice
Msg: 12
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/10/2010 12:33:44 PM

You contradicted yourself. The articles you posted said that 40% don't use health clubs - that means that there are 60% that do. This is a far cry from "nobody".

Almost nobody gets any exercise, and fewer do exercise, polls say.

Another contradiction.

When I clicked on your link it brought me to a nonsense statistic page about alcoholic rehab success rates. The other links brought up general statistics. This does not tell me who was interviewed, how the interview was processed, what questions were asked, where the interview took place (not a large city I'm sure), etc. etc. I can google anything and find an answer in a moment's notice too. Interview the posters in this forum - see what your statistics bring up then. You have posted in this forum before and it seems that your advice is your own opinion - which is ok but keep in mind what works for you doesn't work for everyone.
 satx78218
Msg: 13
view profile
History
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/10/2010 12:52:57 PM
the original question had multiple parts, so there were multiple answers.

Please show your stats (and not from the health club industry) that even just a simple majority of people who join fitness clubs:

1) use them frequently enough (2,3,4 times/week) to become fit/maintain fitness

2) keep up their frequent visits to the health club for years or months.
 SecretSpice
Msg: 14
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/10/2010 12:56:09 PM
Why would I do that - you just did. Please read your own articles before you post them.
 andy510
Msg: 15
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/10/2010 1:30:10 PM
From my experience both exercise and diet are important in losing the extra pounds . However even if you do not exercise at all and you do not eat and use products such insure, Boots....etc; you will certainly lose weight . Some people even fast a take only milk and water and lose weight but it is not healthy .
 fifthson
Msg: 16
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/11/2010 12:13:05 AM
fat people are fat for two reasons: bad food and lack of exercise. (an exception would be a medical reason such as adrenal/hormonal issues}

effective weight loss occurs when bad food is replaced with a balanced diet and consistent exercise.

think of food as medicine, fuel for the body. exercise is the avenue for assimulating that fuel.

summation: eating well combined with consistent exercise = your natural body weight.
 BOT TAK
Msg: 17
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/11/2010 5:03:51 AM

summation: eating well combined with consistent exercise = your natural body weight.
what if that "natural" weight is 250lbs? or 300???
 tallvibez
Msg: 18
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/11/2010 10:51:00 AM

what if that "natural" weight is 250lbs? or 300???

LoL. Jokes aside... my theory is that being truly healthy (homeostasis) has to be approached by understanding how we would look in a more natural setting 1st and foremost.

Modern day life for many of us makes it difficult because we no longer have to hunt, gather, harvest, or sow our food (which is what our body was design to do). Fast, frozen, pre-made food is now our main diet and it sure is convenient (in the short term). The trade off is lack of exercise and introducing lots of chemicals that the body cannot naturally handle.

When you think about it... in a natural state living we take care of both our diet and fitness in the process of aquiring nurishment. Today, we sit at desk most of the day, go home to watch tv, then lay down for 6-8 hrs to then do the same thing all over again. Combine this with the fact that our complicated daily life is stressful and food is a quick fix for anxiety... we get a lifestyle of low exercise and high food consumption.
 MakeYouSmile26
Msg: 19
view profile
History
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/11/2010 12:08:54 PM
First off losing weight does not make you healthier. If you get tired goign up 5 steps at 95 lbs or 295 lbs you are shortening you life. If your an idea body weight but your muscle to fat ratio is 1/100 you would probably be better off 50 lbs overwight with a ratio of 4/10. That beign said weight loss is 100% diet you could be bed riden and only eat 1000 cal a day and lose weight.
 shmodzilla
Msg: 20
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/11/2010 12:08:57 PM
I SO hate the fact that the word diet ever came to the meaning of dropping weight, not eating and so on. When you say " a lions diet consist of antelope" it is not because it is on a low carb "diet" . Your diet just needs to consist of good food, nutrisious combined with excercise. And i know my spelling is off today i am not sure what my problem is!

A so called diet = "possibly losing weight, hating life,being miserable looking like someone let the air out of your skin "

Proper easting and excecise ,more energy, better health by far,less back,leg and so on pain and more lean muscle that burns even more calories.
 MakeYouSmile26
Msg: 21
view profile
History
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/11/2010 12:18:27 PM
I actually just realized this but is there such a thing as fatty muscle as oposed to lean muscle?
 Wstlcoguy66
Msg: 22
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/11/2010 2:04:36 PM
You need both.

Starving yourself w/o exercise may be effective short-term for losing weight but that plan is not sustainable and you will find that when you return to your "normal" eating habits, you will gain all the weight you've lost back and then some.

Lean protein, fruits and vegetables. Limit carbs and eliminate highly processed food. Find a good "Whole Wheat" bread. Dairy like low fat yogurt, skim or 2% milk and small amounts of cheese OK. Peanuts and other nuts are good. Some beans are a good source of low calorie protein.

Consult a dietician or your doctor. begin reading. Lots of info about all of this on-line.

Exercise: Strength training is a must. Cardio alone will not do the trick.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 23
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/11/2010 2:16:30 PM

I actually just realized this but is there such a thing as fatty muscle as oposed to lean muscle?
Of course there is. Cows aren't the only ones who can have marbleized meat.
 loganlots
Msg: 24
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/12/2010 2:43:13 AM
[/The more body fat you have, the more creative your body will get in trying to find places to store it]

Sounds like cellulite to me.
 hamster-dance
Msg: 25
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/12/2010 2:57:52 AM
If there's no such thing as fatty muscle then where does bacon and marbled beef come from? I'm genuinely asking because I have no idea.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > diets verses fitness