Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Oppositional disorder: real or just an excuse for bad behaviour      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 stargazer1000
Msg: 1
Oppositional disorder: real or just an excuse for bad behaviourPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Seems to me they have a disorder for just about anything but has anyone encountered this one? I know of a child that has had this little disorder bandied about as a reason for some of her worst behaviour. Are psychologists finding real afflictions or are we just finding more excuses for people to behave badly?
 JustDukky
Msg: 2
Oppositional disorder: real or just an excuse for bad behaviour
Posted: 1/11/2010 10:19:10 AM
"Oppositional disorder"? Isn't that about as "Big Brotherish" as it gets? What's next, hospitals for the politically insane?
 justwant2no
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/11/2010 10:25:43 AM
I think the 'professionals' have more labels to choose from than they did 'in the ol days'. When I was in elementary school, I was a little 'hyper' and spent more time staring out the window than paying attention to the teacher. In the 60's I was a 'daydreamer' - today I'd have had ADD. My daughter is awkward physically and socially. She doesn't have a lot of friends, and has trouble with organization and large projects. In my day, she'd have been called a 'late bloomer' and 'disorganized', today she has 'Autism Spectrum Disorder'. Here's the thing - the kid needs to learn to deal with the real world. A label doesn't do anything except get the school another notch on their 'special needs' list - and some more grant money! She still needs to complete projects - she still needs to interact with her peers. What good does the label do? I've about had it with labels!
 bipolarintense
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/11/2010 10:59:21 AM
Well this wasn't just made up as some of you want to believe. The oldest reference I bothered to find is 12 years old.

This has nothing to do with bad parenting.

http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/mentalhealth/chapter3/sec6.html

Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) is diagnosed when a child displays a persistent or consistent pattern of defiance, disobedience, and hostility toward various authority figures including parents, teachers, and other adults. ODD is characterized by such problem behaviors as persistent fighting and arguing, being touchy or easily annoyed, and deliberately annoying or being spiteful or vindictive to other people. Children with ODD may repeatedly lose their temper, argue with adults, deliberately refuse to comply with requests or rules of adults, blame others for their own mistakes, and be repeatedly angry and resentful. Stubbornness and testing of limits are common. These behaviors cause significant difficulties with family and friends and at school or work (DSM-IV; Weiner, 1997). Oppositional defiant disorder is sometimes a precursor of conduct disorder (DSM-IV).
 JustDukky
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/11/2010 11:10:16 AM

Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) is diagnosed when a child displays a persistent or consistent pattern of defiance, disobedience, and hostility toward various authority figures

Imagine that...questioning authority is now a disorder....It used to be called critical thinking.

I've had this disorder all my life, but thankfully...I still do!
I can't recall ever acknowledging a higher authority than myself.
 justwant2no
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/11/2010 11:25:39 AM

ODD is characterized by such problem behaviors as persistent fighting and arguing, being touchy or easily annoyed, and deliberately annoying or being spiteful or vindictive to other people. Children with ODD may repeatedly lose their temper, argue with adults, deliberately refuse to comply with requests or rules of adults, blame others for their own mistakes, and be repeatedly angry and resentful. Stubbornness and testing of limits are common. These behaviors cause significant difficulties with family and friends and at school or work (DSM-IV; Weiner, 1997). Oppositional defiant disorder is sometimes a precursor of conduct disorder (DSM-IV).

AKA - adolescence!
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/11/2010 11:28:17 AM
^^^^^^^^^You took your quote out of context, thereby changing the meaning of the description of the disorder.

~OT~ I'm sick and tired of all of the disorder-labels thrown around today. I remember the days when depression was the rage. Along with bulimia and anorexia. Along came all sorts of other things, the most recent being PMDD and Bi-polar. I'm sure there will be a slew of other disorders before all is said and done. When my ex and I went to marriage counseling, it was suggested he had Borderline Personality Disorder. PFFFFFFFFT!! The only label he needed was: pathological liar/cheating idiot. Nuff said.
 andso.itgoes
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/11/2010 3:29:31 PM
I actually saw a news headline in an airport this past holiday season that proclaimed a recent study determined spanking can be GOOD for kids. I wanted to shout out, cheer and do a cartwheel in the aisle!! We are a nation of overindulged, irresponsible, overfed, underworked brats - both adult and minors.

Today, I read the U.S. has 5% of the world's population but 25% of the world's prisoners. I do not think our laws are that draconian, nor our sentences that out of line. What we do have is a growing number of people who feel entitled to exhibit outrageous behaviors and do what feels good no matter what the costs to others.

Some kids never get the opportunity to understand there are bigger things than themselves, that there are limits to acceptable behaviors. They never get past the self-centeredness of infancy because they are not introduced to discipline and are not expected to be responsible for their choices.

I could go on here, but I'll try to settle down in my rocking chair now.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2010 3:52:55 PM
AFAIK, when you have a behavioural problem, that means you have a disorder. It can be physical or mental. But it's a disorder. It doesn't even matter if it's murder that is the problem. It's still a disorder. A doctor's job is to treat all disorders, to fix "you", to be right. It doesn't matter if you are choosing to act a certain way, or if it is a choice of morality. Doctors are still there to "fix" you, until you are a good obedient citizen.

Welcome to the world.
 edisto
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/11/2010 8:18:32 PM
oppositional behavior, bipolar now diagnosed in children as young as 5, ADD, ADHD...

where were all of these disorders when I was young- not invented yet ?

as kids we were "questioning our adults, speaking our mind, thinking outside of the box"-

today, that's considered WRONG-

today, ha, primary care doctors make a fortune off of seeing patients who say that they are depressed- even if say, their mother just died, instead of telling the patient, you SHOULD be depressed, that's a healthy reaction to death, they say, here's a prescription for zoloft, if that doesn't work, lexapro, and 5 years later- the person is still filling their prescription for dandy candy anti- depressants

and hell, let's not have just the adults on anti-depressants, let's medicate our youth-
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/12/2010 12:58:25 PM
Both my girls have "disorders" defined by modern medicine.
Parenting in a HUGE factor in how they now carry themselves as adults.
My 25 year old is ADHD with a bi-polar disorder. She also has an IQ above 140, has finally settled down, and no longer gets in trouble due to impulsive behavior traits.
She actually can thank me now for all the years I did not listen to her doctors that wanted to over medicate her into a zombie as a teenager. My patience and tolerance paid off to finally hear a "thanks Mom" which means the world to me with all we endured together.
My 20 year old has anorexic tendencies and finally has gained more than enough weight.
Her doctors tried to medicate her as well. She thanks me all the time for patiently sitting with her and talking for hours while she choked down a can of Ensure.
It's easier for parents (especially single ones like me) to allow the system to swallow them up and raise their children. Believe me there were many times I wanted to scream with no place to turn under the pressure. Were they bratts? Definitely many times but I never once let them become some kind of science project for the benefit of a drug company.
American's need to step up to the plate and raise the kids they chose to have and take time away from their own busy schedules to do so.
 JustDukky
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/12/2010 1:59:04 PM

merican's need to step up to the plate and raise the kids they chose to have and take time away from their own busy schedules to do so.

Not just Americans; that applies to everybody!
 monalee1
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/12/2010 2:09:50 PM
hi.. in my experience with it it is real.. everything traditional does not work, it goes beyond attitude, rebellion and autonomy... when you work with this disorder you go from confident to confused to determined and even on an occasion angered, (blink blink) but eventually you realize that this is nothing that you have ever seen even though you thought that you had seen it all.. you become very empathetic to the person and to their situation, you want to find the key that will enable them to have a better quality life... I mean bad behaviour rarely reaps many rewards... blessings to all those involved
 Damienevil
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/12/2010 3:26:51 PM
anyone who thinks this is just bad parenting has not had their own child pull a knife on them just because they told them to clean their room has never had their child try to burn them alive

and in general it turns into anti social personality disorder

this is its baby kid version of it
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/12/2010 4:07:33 PM
Been there:

I started to make a list of some of the horror and then realized it really was never mine.
My girls were lucky to have a Mother like me every step of the way.
Even at 4am when they call in tears this very day, just to talk when they know I have to work. Parenting plays a huge role in their personal attitude and life coping skills toward their disabilities. What kind of relationship do you have with your parents now?
I know as an epileptic when my own children have had to pick me up the floor where they have been and how they feel. Bad parenting contributes more than you think it does young man.
 Island home
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/13/2010 4:43:50 AM
I would have no problem with Oppositional disorder being used as a label in an appropriate situation . What I would object to is it being treated as a one size fits all estimation.
It would require an extensive look at all individual causative possibilities and the exploring of numerous possibilities of cures.
I suspect in most cases the original trigger for an oppositional response would have been justified (at lest in the eyes of the perpetrator) and has continued on as a learned defensive response in inappropriate situations.

wingsonmyfeet you can go to bed with out dinner until you accept this disorder as prescribed by some higher authority
 Damienevil
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/15/2010 9:35:43 AM
TO MONA LEE BAD BEHAVIOR IS VERY MUCH REWARDED IT COMES WITH HIGH RISKS

but the rewards are greater then a normal boring job. Crime pays and its never boring
 monalee1
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/15/2010 4:58:50 PM
"TO MONA LEE BAD BEHAVIOR IS VERY MUCH REWARDED IT COMES WITH HIGH RISKS "

hi... I chose my words while considering fame, fortune and thrill yet I still think the rewards for good behaviours far exceed the supposed rewards for bad... blessings
 bipolarintense
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/16/2010 7:50:25 AM
I just wanted to formally salute all of the very clear thinkers who have participated in this thread. I am impressed by how many of you are not snowed by the preachings of the psychiatric system.

So what your saying is just like the people your saluting you chose to be ignorant of the topic at hand, did no research on the topic and them came to the conclusion you'd let everyone know you don't have a clue what your talking about.
 1honestfrenchman
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/17/2010 8:45:11 PM
Simply another label to put on people and for the pharmaceutical companies to create another pill to give to them. It's all just about money.
 acuddler
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/17/2010 10:44:52 PM
Just an excuse for brattiness, and one I don't tolerate.
 Island home
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/17/2010 10:53:30 PM
Is the alternative
to oppositional disorder
Called government?
 stargazer1000
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/18/2010 5:42:35 AM

Is the alternative
to oppositional disorder
Called government?

Or religion.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Oppositional disorder: real or just an excuse for bad behaviour