Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Doppelgangers? (notsure if this is the right forum)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jiperly
Msg: 2
Doppelgangers? (notsure if this is the right forum)Page 1 of 1    
Could've been subjective?
 desertrhino
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Doppelgangers? (notsure if this is the right forum)
Posted: 1/11/2010 3:15:00 PM
If I were described as talking to an empty chair by sober observers, and yet was convinced I'd had a conversation with a friend who was not present, I'd go get myself checked out by a competent mental health professional. Especially if I were smack in the middle of the age range of onset for most cases of schizophrenia. It CAN be treated reasonably successfully these days, especially if caught early.
 SoftAndHappy
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/11/2010 3:21:00 PM

If I were described as talking to an empty chair by sober observers, and yet was convinced I'd had a conversation with a friend who was not present, I'd go get myself checked out by a competent mental health professional. Especially if I were smack in the middle of the age range of onset for most cases of schizophrenia. It CAN be treated reasonably successfully these days, especially if caught early.

LOL! This is exactly what I was thinking. It struck me as funny, but it's true. I have never seen - much less talked to a ghost. I have seen actual PEOPLE who looked like other people I know... but I have never seen a ghost. Not familiar looking ones. Not strange looking ones. Not old ones, not young ones, not child ones and not animal ones.

Schizophrenia DOES start in your early 20's. All joking aside - you should seriously get checked. If the results come back clean... you've legitimately seen a ghost.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2010 3:56:35 PM
Yes, they do. Friends of mine have met a doppelganger of mine in Oxford. I definitely wasn't there that day, so it definitely wasn't me. But they said he looked the spitting image of me.

No one saw this person, onl what looked like I was talking to an empty seat.
If you see someone, but no-one else does, then forget about it. But if you keep seeing people that no-one else sees, then I suggest you get yourself to a doctor's ASAP.
 2ears1mouth
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/11/2010 4:10:40 PM
If others saw an empty seat, there could very well be something going on in your mind causing hallucinations. One need not have drugs, it could be some biochemical imbalance that can be treated.

But if you really did see somebody who looks like your friend, I have mistaken people's identity many times myself. It's not that unusual.

There are many people in prison, probably even on death row, right now because they were mistaken for someone else who really did the crime for which they were convicted. Hundreds of those convictions have been overturned by DNA analysis which was not available at the time of their convictions, including half of the people that were on death row in Illinois a few years back. Yes, half of them!

A good defense attorney should recruit some lookalikes to do some "guerilla theatre" in trials when the prosecution has nothing but the eyewitness account of someone who only briefly encountered the perpetrator and doesn't know the defendant personally to go on.
 JustDukky
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/12/2010 6:03:28 AM

No one saw this person, onl what looked like I was talking to an empty seat.

Obviously, you were hallucinating. No drugs or booze? They might make you hallucinate more often, but the mind is capable of some pretty good tricks without any help at all. If it's a "one-off" sort of thing, I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. If it happens all the time, you might want to get some help with it. (Think of it like a car backfiring...They all do at one time or another, but if it happens all the time, you need a mechanic)
 SoftAndHappy
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/12/2010 7:55:08 AM
South_Wester: She was talking to a person that no one else could see. The person did not physically exist.

No one saw this person, only what looked like I was talking to an empty seat.
 Jiperly
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/12/2010 1:30:27 PM
By subjective I mean you noticed the simularities, while ignored the differences, subconsciously
 Natasah
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/12/2010 9:23:05 PM
Have meet my Doppelganger, 9/10 version, slightly smaller than me, but it was like looking into a weird mirror, the refection didn't match what I was doing......
 endlesslift
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/13/2010 10:49:21 AM
check your medication
 Jiperly
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/13/2010 11:36:47 AM
I think people are misinterpreting what the OP wrote- I interpreted what they said to mean that no one noticed the resemblance of the person she was talking to- not that the person wasn't there.
 desertrhino
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2010 5:01:42 PM

I think people are misinterpreting what the OP wrote- I interpreted what they said to mean that no one noticed the resemblance of the person she was talking to- not that the person wasn't there.

Ummm... Here's the quote from the OP:

No one saw this person, onl what looked like I was talking to an empty seat. WTf?

What part of "looked like I was talking to an empty seat" are you having trouble parsing?
 Island home
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/15/2010 4:25:41 AM
On what side of their nose was the piercing?
This could be significant!
Was there a mirror on the chair?
Was the upholstery shiny or dull?

oops shoulda thought a bit more b4 opening my mouth, ya didnt see ur self !
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Doppelgangers? (notsure if this is the right forum)