Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > learning a new language????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 helpimstuck
Msg: 1
learning a new language????Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
alrighty folks.. been looking a new job in russia.. will be working with the locals.. they don't speak much english.. so i was thinking of trying to learn russian language in speaking it and reading and writeing.. so what the best way to learn a new language.. i think knowing some of the local language would be very usefull to me working there..so what are your suggestions...

ps ya i googles it.. millions of hits but which are good
 helpimstuck
Msg: 2
learning a new language????
Posted: 1/14/2010 12:46:29 AM
i would be working as a mechanic so i am going to know all those words too
 RSwindol
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/14/2010 4:38:07 AM
Too bad you don't live in my area. A good friend of mine is was once a Russian Language Professor at Mississippi State University until they decided to get rid of the course a couple of years ago.
 platypus_man
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2010 4:44:51 AM
Search the torrents for Pimsleur's russian courses, they had three sets of CD's, very good, with native russian speakers. Now, for the copyright folks, if you like what you find, then buy the real copies. BTW, I bought mine on Amazon because I didn't want to wait for them to download. Expensive, but very good.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2010 4:57:14 AM
My advice is to Google..."Learn to speak Russian online free". Google will give you 3-5 choices...browse them all. Take your time and check out what a site has to offer. play around with the site of 15-30 mins, look over the lessons, alphabet, layout.

Then go to another site, check it out...take your time...dont try to learn, just see if the site is easy to use, is the info put to you in a form thats make s sence to you?

After you've check out the free sites, one should stand out to you as easier and informative to you...spend time to practice the basics. There are some sites that give levels of learnng form Basics, Beginner, and different levels of imtermiadiate.

good luck, If I could give any adivice is learn vocabulary...words are the building blocks.
 FL CO
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2010 9:03:07 AM

Before you start learning, find out whether you will be working in the North or South of Russia as the dialect and pronunciation are quite different.

Its the same here. Especially with common use words that might not be in the dictionary. Like "youse" and "yall". I still can't figure out where they got "youse" from.
 NotGorshkovAgain
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2010 12:02:32 AM
Best way to learn is by immersion, but that's not going to help you here. I'd suggest learning the alphabet and pronounciation - that will get you a fair bit of the way, and shold only take you a few days (it's not THAT hard) - when it comes down to it, learning the alphabet is no different than learning morse code, or semphore code.

Russian is a relatively new language. Grammar is very strictly Latin based, and because it's new, it hasn't had the time to become the linguistic abortion that English, French, or most other western languages have become - there are refreshingly few exceptions to the rules of grammar and pronunciation.

I read somewhere that Russian is the hardest language for English speakers to learn.

Not even close. I learned to speak Russian during the bad old days of the cold war, when I was in an Intelligence trade in the Navy. The military language school I attended taught language courses for the military, external affairs, and other government departments.

The courses for the western romantic languages (english, french, spanish, italian) were 3-4 months, with up to 40 students per course.

Most east european language courses (Polish, Hungarian, Romanian, Croatian, etc) were between 8 and 12 months, max 20 students per course.

Russian was 13 months, 10 students per course - but split into 2 classes.

But the longest was Chinese (mandrin). 26 months, 2 students per course.

So Chinese gets my vote for most difficult.
 *buzz*
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2010 9:21:57 AM
i think knowing some of the local language would be very usefull to me working there

Ahhh ... dear OP, what a lovely question, so close to my heart and the best in all your query is that you are willing and determined to learn Russian language. In my childhood learning Russian was a compulsory lesson but there is never too late to start.
My advice to you is that regardless the daily amount of new words ~ sentences ... always write down - correctly - what you've learnt or trying to remember. Visual memory is a great asset and putting it down reinforces the visual effect.
Plus, spend every day at least half an hour learning Russian. EVERY DAY PLEASE!
And if you could afford 1 : 1 your progress will soar ... of course, with your determination.

BTW, native people always appreciate foreigners trying to speak their language.
 arwen52
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2010 11:53:48 AM
Two important things to keep in mind: get the pronunciation right and get the syntax right.

Most Americans speak foreign languages like they are speaking English. Think Peggy Hill on King of the Hill speaking Spanish. Listen carefully and get the pronunciation correct, especially the vowels.

Get the syntax, the rhythm of the language correct. Remember Two Wild And Crazy Guys? One of the things that made them funny was often putting the emphasis or the accent of a word in the wrong place. Listen to the rhythm of the language and try to reproduce it.

Even if you speak with the vocabulary and sentence structure of a three year old, you'll be more easily understood if you pay careful attention to pronunciation and syntax.
 cotter
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2010 12:38:16 PM

i dont think its bad to learn a differnt lang. if u want to.
OH NO(!!!!) ... our poor "American" children are being required to take 2 years of a foreign language. Back in the stone age when I was in school, only those who took college prep were actually required to take that foreign language. I was thinking it might be in preparation for the fact that most college programs require some foreign language as well?

But back to our poor babies. I'm thinking that a little exposure to some culture other than the current American culture might do them some good even though there is a current trend to basically just dumb down our nation.

Of course they might have to apply themselves for a few hours more per week ... you know, give up texting (and that "text-talk" some people think is English) ... which also contributes to the further dumbing down of our nation since now we are raising a generation of children who can not even spell without "spell check" an now consider "text-talk" as appropriate English ... as is even apparent here in this thread. The original post does not even display the ability to use appropriate capitalization and punctuation and yet the OP boasts in his profile to "some college". How does one get to "college" without being able to write proper English? Oh wait ... I think I've seen in here that some folks view the "text-talk" as a "cultural thing".

Oh dear ... our poor little babies may have to give up some TV and/or game time on the computer. Oh my ... they won't be able to spend as much time on Facebook or MySpace. Doggone it ... they may even have to give up a little time spent with their beloved (BA BOOM BA BOOM) rap sh1t.

I know of foreign countries where the children who are college-bound take at least 3 different languages in school while also learning their own native language. Even those going into apprenticeship programs have to learn English in addition to their own native language skills. So this whining about our own American children (the poor babies) having to only learn one additional foreign language really falls on deaf ears with me.

Imagine that ... our children hitting the books a little more instead of indulging in things that contribute in no way shape or form to bettering themselves. The poor, poor babies. Sometimes I wonder how much dumber our nation can get. Then I see some of the posting in here and see why we are currently raising such an illiterate uncultured generation.

I learned how to speak, read, and write German fluently ... I lived in Germany for 10 years. I arrived in Germany with a little vocabulary of the language that I learned at a short "travel German" course that I took shortly before traveling to Germany the first time. Two years later, I moved to Germany. By then I had pretty much forgotten all the German I had learned, so I started from the beginning.

By the time I left Germany, I was doing crossword puzzles in German and proofreading my husband's business letters (for spelling and good sentence structure) ... and he is German. I was totally self-taught.

I've attempted various different languages (French and Spanish) in my life ... in school. I suppose if I had stuck with them as long as I did the German, I could have learned them well.

The one thing that is important to learning any new language is understanding and practicing good language skills in your own language. If people do not understand their own language well enough to use good sentence structure, verb/noun agreements, proper spelling, capitalization and punctuation ... they will do poorly at learning a foreign language. (I have to admit that I always did very well in English.)

Often appropriate pronunciation of a foreign word is very dependent on appropriate spelling. For example, in German just mixing up the ie or ei can not only change the pronunciation of a word, but also the meaning. In German, using der, die, or das (the) is important as well and there is no logical explanation for why they use which form.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2010 1:13:34 PM
The New York Times has an article on learning a second language today that suggests the Rosetta Stone is a great way. www.nytimes.com/2010/01/28/technology/personaltech/28basics.html?em
 NotGorshkovAgain
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2010 2:55:14 PM

New language?... the written texts are over 1200 years old, the oral tradition is older and based in Greek Orthodoxy.

Before Peter the Great, the language of the Rus was "Old Church Slavonic".

Catherine the Great had education reforms to move pronounciation and education of language more toward the French models than the wrote memorization of Old Church Slavonic texts.

Catherine the Great came after Peter, so what I said holds.

Theres quite a bit of borrowing from French as to case structure, Palatial pronounciation, literary tradition.

And since the wall came down, and the infiltration of western culture, you find those hardline rules of grammar are played fast and loose outside the halls of academia or government documents.

I never said there was no borrowing, or that the language was absolutly pure - I said there are *relatively* few exceptions - and compared to english and french, a metric buttload less.
 cotter
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2010 2:38:33 PM

... shouldnt it be up to the kids if they want to learn a new lang.
Certainly that statement is a joke … right? Oh wait … is that the Republican answer to just saying "NO" to everything … even if it's good for our country?

No we should not leave decisions like that up to "baby goats"! (I don't know when it became common practice to call our children "kids", but I grew up understanding that "kids" are baby goats.) In Ohio, the State Board of Education sets standards for education ... certainly not the children.

I'd say that to leave decisions like that up to children would be like leaving it up to a toddler to choose a proper nutritional diet.

It's apparent just looking through this thread and the fact that grown so-called high school graduates (I mean we have to assume they are high school graduates if they are stating they have "some college") can't even use English properly.

Of course we can't hear them talking, but it's apparent they are not able to write English ... can't spell or use proper punctuation or capitalization ... so that even with those stipulations in place, people are still apparently leaving high school with a substandard education.

If people can't even use their own language properly, how do they expect to learn the intricacies of a foreign language? It takes focus and effort to learn a foreign language and if people are too lazy to learn to use their own language properly, how do they expect to learn a foreign language?

It's something that can't be "purchased" at the video/game store. One actually has to learn it. Maybe if the youth of today would put forth as much effort on learning a foreign language as they do on playing computer games and rapping to their BA-BOOM BA-BOOM crap, the US wouldn't be at such a low position in the world regarding education.

Just goes to show you what the Neocon dumbing down of our nation standards can do for us. But wait … I bet our children have baggier pants and can rap better than any other nation … eh?

OT ...
It would probably be better if people learned their own language appropriately before taking on foreign languages. The foreign language will be easier to learn if one understands the intricacies of their own language.
 cotter
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2010 5:20:32 PM

... but simple interacting with them and having friends (especially a girl friend) is very helpful!
I can attest (from personal experience) that having friends is beneficial, but don't really understand why people keep trying to emphasize the need for the OP to have some sort of "girlfriend".

What does that have to do with anything?
 cotter
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2010 10:16:14 AM
It's probably going to be best just to embed yourself into the area and learn the language that way. The more interaction outside the workplace, the more you're bound to learn.

But learning a foreign language is easier if you understand and practice good language skills (the intricacies of language) in the first place. Knowing and using your own language appropriately is vital to understanding the intricacies of other languages.

If you are capable of understanding and following the rules of your own language, then adapting to the rules of other languages isn't quite so difficult. Obviously, punctuation and capitalization differs in other languages, so understanding why things are capitalized or punctuated as they are ... certainly helps.
 jamasian777
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2010 8:43:09 AM
I went and got Rosetta Stone the complete one with like 30 languages! It's really really good and easy. Im a little ashamed though i havent followed through with it in full. I started Spanish, very easy, the way they use the visual/audio word association. I highly recommend it. Have fun in Russia!
 QIXXL
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2011 6:11:17 PM
check out linkword.com. starting with any other method most give up after a few weeks. but for beginners linkword is the best then it's up to you how far you want to go.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > learning a new language????