Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Am I missing out by not doing deadlifts?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BBQ Spider
Msg: 2
Am I missing out by not doing deadlifts?Page 1 of 1    
You're right to have a concern. Google can provide you with diagrams and videos to demonstrate where your back, head, feet, knees, arms, etc., need to be or not be, to prevent injury.

An ex-friend of mine used to swing stuff around and because he was supermanesque, people thought he must know what he was doing -- he wound up having surgery from poor technique.

have a care.
 DiannaBall
Msg: 3
Am I missing out by not doing deadlifts?
Posted: 1/16/2010 4:20:22 PM
Ask to be shown how to do them and add weight accordingly. It is not that difficult and they actually feel good. I lift heavy but that is me...find out what works for you. I happen to love them. Some people do not. Again, have someone SHOW you how to do them correctly or you can hurt your back.
 Sketchness
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/16/2010 5:05:49 PM
You can find very informative videos online about proper technique. Watch more than one. Then go to the gym and watch people. You will see plenty of people doing it exactly the wrong way.

I might caution against 135 being a starting point if you haven't done them before\long time. Start out with a straight bar to warm up then to 25's. I see many people ( mostly guys ) trying to go in an lift with their ego. Horrible form and just plain dangerous. You can always add more weight on the next set but it is impossible to take off mid rep.
 Scott3995
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/16/2010 5:51:20 PM
Depends on your back genetics. People with not so good back genetics will almost never get their back up to par with isolation movements. Sure the pump may be great, but a pump has almost nothing to do with muscle growth.
 Kunik
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/16/2010 7:40:21 PM
Maybe you can start with romanian deads as I've always found them easier for people to learn than the traditional deadlift. Also, just ask a trainer to watch your form for a couple reps. I'm sure they won't mind unless if you really monopolize their time.
 caffeinejag
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/17/2010 5:57:02 AM
I just added deadlifts and boy did I feel them the next day, even with the lite weight.

I always start out with lite weights until I get the form right then increase the weights.

I wanted to add a few compound exercises and drop a few isolation exercises. With my cranky knees squats were not a good option.
 MakeYouSmile26
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2010 10:33:10 AM
I agree when I started deads I started with the bar. My experiance was

45 -1 day muscle pain 1 day sore 3 days rest
65 - no pain 3 days rest
95 - 1 day sore 3 days rest
135 - 1 day sore 3 days rest
155 - 2 days sore 3 days rest
155 - 1 day sore 3 days rest
175 - 1 day spinal pain 2 days sore 3 days rest
175 - 2 days sore 3 days rest

I plan on doing 3 or 4 more at 175 then I am only increasing it to 185 becuase I have obviously met my spinal cords max and need to strenghen the area slowly. I could do 225 or 245 at the moment but I would be sore for a week or 2 and risk injury on an area where surgery is risky and often doesnt help fix the problem.
 SecretSpice
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/18/2010 3:10:57 PM
How long are you giving yourself to increase your weight? You seem to be increasing the weight without giving your body enough time to adapt to the new weight.
 MakeYouSmile26
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2010 4:23:24 PM
I wanted to be very careful with my back. I probably could have started with 175 or 195 on day one but I wanted to get some flexibility, get my mucles used to doing a lift there not used to. Like I said my target muscle could probably do 225 or 245 but I dont want to get close to that until I know I can handel it. It also gave me a chance work on my form and increase the strenght of my secondary supporting muscles with less weight before I moved up to a challanging weight. If a seconday support mucle fails and you end up throwing out your back you could be out for years while you go through a very painful recovery.
 SecretSpice
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/18/2010 4:31:02 PM
^^Gotcha! I'm sorry I missed the post - didn't see you were actually "undertraining" which is always a good thing in the beginning.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2010 12:07:57 AM
We have two pretty good trainers. I can ask for their help.

Good idea. I'd say the most important thing while doing them is to always keep your lower back arched backward a little, never round it forward. I'm sure they'll stress that with you.

You'll get a strong back and core doing deadlifts. I'm sure you know how important that is.
 SecretSpice
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/21/2010 6:06:44 AM
Ok I'm psyched now ... going to ask my trainer tonight to start me on deadlifts!
 Scott3995
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/21/2010 6:12:48 AM
Just remember on deadlifts not to round your back and when you bring up the bar you want it just rubbing against your legs a little. Keep it paused for two seconds at the top, and don't drop the weight bring it down slowly. The negative phase is just as important if not more important then the positve phase of the lift. If you drop the weight you will cheat yourself out of more growth.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2010 10:49:07 AM
Ricky -

Make sure to have a trainer look at your total program, not just your deadlifts. Ideally, you should be doing a balanced program that works upper and lower body, front and back equally. Good luck!
 JWG86
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/23/2010 10:56:24 AM
I had never done deadlifts before. I normally do 225x10 for 4 sets on the squats though. Full ROM bottoming out. I started doing deadlifts straight-legged at about 185 or 205, I forget which. EIther way, it got my attention. Deadlifts are awesome. Do them. Stick with what you can do without losing proper form (don't round your back), and enjoy the benefits.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Am I missing out by not doing deadlifts?