Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > How do you feel about 'retouched' photos? (AKA. Photoshoped profile p      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 My love is your drug.
Msg: 1
How do you feel about 'retouched' photos? (AKA. Photoshoped profile pics!!)Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Hey everyone, I am just curious as to what people think of retouched profile pics on POF?

I have met a few women, and I know some had work done on thier photos-and some on their body, LoL...

But seriously...Do a lot of people do this? Do you think it is misleading at all?

Is it any different than a woman putting padding in her bra?

A guy working out right before a date?

Maybe it is just the result of the expectations and images bestowed upon us by the media?

I would love to hear peoples thoughts and experiences with this.

Cheers.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 2
How do you feel about 'retouched' photos? (AKA. Photoshoped profile pics!!)
Posted: 1/18/2010 6:45:18 PM
I love photoshoped pictures. They catch my attention, as I am a graphic artist and play with photos all day long. To me is shows talent and creativity. Makes me definitely want to look at your profile. My picture is photoshoped. I loved the way that photo had so many possibilities. But that is just me.

Do I find this misleading? Myself, I have other photos (untouched) to show who I am.
Some woman put up glamour shots. It makes them feel more attractive. Why not? I think the first shot is there to catch someone’s attention, and if that shot has done so, they have accomplished their task. As the individual reads the profile and filters through some other photos, they will get to know the person better. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Now if the photo does not really match who the individual is, that will be revealed when they meet? Could be really bad situation. So it is always best to look like your photo.

So...where's your photo?
 BC Girl26
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/18/2010 6:47:00 PM
i feel its alright if you arent totally changing yourself..covering up a blemish or minor things like that are ok.
i have seen some where people have totally stretched them out to make themselves look taller/skinnier, and you can tell they have done it.
 twinmd77
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/18/2010 6:48:09 PM

I've run into someone obviously many years older and quite a bit heavier than their pic. Which is different.

Some people include stylized, studio-quality pics but then mix them with more everyday, normal shots. Which is fine.

I think a core issue is whether someone's photos are a) _all_ very noticeably different / enhanced over the person's current, everyday appearance, and whether this situation was b) done intentionally, to snare people, and obviously should have been corrected or avoided prior to the meeting. This is deception. Whatever the various mechanisms employed... You might imagine exceptions, where for instance someone's photos are so obviously altered that anyone would know.., cartoons, pictures in sepia, et al.

That said, all online dating is caveat emptor (buyer beware)...
 SexyKG74
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2010 6:58:35 PM
If the photos are altered to make someone look thinner, then it's false advertising to me.

My photos are not glamour shots, but they were professionally done. To my knowledge, glamour shots are when you are styled by a hairstylist and makeup artist, and you take your photos. While I'm sure it's fun, it's not "real" because the person doesn't likely look like that on a daily or even special occasion basis. If they could, they wouldn't need to pay stylists to do it for them.

I did my own hair, wore a little makeup and that's it...actually, I've worn this dress to work before and this is how I wear my hair and do my makeup on a daily basis...so it is the normal me. My body is my body in the photo, although I might look slightly different now since I've been hitting the gym a lot in recent months...pics were taken in July 2009.
 R2D21
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/18/2010 7:29:47 PM
I stuck my face up to the little camera on my monitor and pressed the left button on my mouse and uploaded it. What the camera caught is what you get. But, then; I'm just a man. I don't much care. I already knew what I look like.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/18/2010 7:35:02 PM

I'm all for doctored pics. I love it when a man shows up for said meeting/date and I don't have a frickin' clue who he is. Nothing better than standing next to your date for 20 minutes, only to find out you're standing next to his alter-ego (or would that be his real self?) **Augh!!! It's so RUDE to do that. Like we aren't going to notice in the flesh? Oy!!!) JMO
 ChocolateNutt
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/18/2010 7:41:05 PM
I think it depends on what extent the photos have been altered. If you recognize her as the same person, without freckles or blonder hair, what's the big deal. If she's (or he's) a size or two smaller in the photos, that's a larger issue.
 onefishwilldo
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/18/2010 7:47:56 PM
Photoshoped photos are fine as long as it not over done. Like making yourself look 30 when you're actually 50 or making yourself look 50 pounds lighter then you really are. Those are false and misleading. My main photo is photoshoped but the rest are natural (they are not up right now).
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/18/2010 8:28:37 PM
They are useless.
Eventually if you ever meet the"beholder" of the improved image, he /she (or it) will be disappointed.
PhotoShop is great for creating artistic images, I love it, but has no usefulness here.
 sosdd
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/18/2010 8:46:18 PM
I crop my pics. Most of my pics are taken prior to going out or doing something with my family. So if it is with the family, I usually crop them out. If it is before I go out, I might crop out the mirror next to me. I take pics before I go out because I made the mistake of wearing the wrong color bra under a blouse once. This way I can see how I look, not what I think the mirror is telling me.

I don't think I would ever higher a professional photographer, my kids take good enough pics for me. I think glamor shots are funny. They don't capture the real person.

I don't know that I have ever gone out with anyone that has touched up their pics. I made the mistake of going out with one too many who had an old photo posted. From black hair to gray, yeah, like I wouldn't notice that. From physically fit to looking 10 months pregnant. Of course I have gone out with some that look better than their photos. I ask for recent/proof of life pictures before I meet anyone. If they can't or won't send me new ones, forget it, I don't want to go out with someone in denial that they have changed in appearance.
 Vannili
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2010 9:59:40 PM
It doesn't bother me if their photos was retouch , I will see them in person anyway
It is silly to relay on people 's picture about their character and personality.
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/18/2010 11:59:38 PM
I will not evn look at a profile that has a photo shopped pic. Unless it is one of the joke kind.
There is a lady on this site and another that I stay way clear of because of this.
I am here to meet someone I want that someone to be honest!!!....Enough said!!!
 himynameisSarah
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/19/2010 5:26:37 AM
I am against photoshopped pics and maybe glamour shots as well.

All of my pics are natural, and everyone else's should be an accurate representation of your "day to day" look. I mean, I am working now and wearing suits/dresses all the time, but I usually use "regular" photos.

I think it's nice to have pics up when you aren't looking your "absolute best" and then shock the guys a little when you show up all fancy.

If a guy is only looking at the pics, I don't want him anyways... there is much more to life than physical beauty.
 cherylbarnes
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/19/2010 5:36:17 AM
It is misleading... and pointless. When you show up, you have to bring the real you.
 Iwillpokeyou
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/19/2010 5:54:32 AM
I've been known to do a little touch up on my photos from time to time but really basic stuff, for example I normally have great skin except for when I'm around my period so if I happen to take a otherwise great photo I'll smudge out my blemishes. I don't really consider it lying because I only get them once a month. Another example is that I typically have a vibrant smile, but around midterms and finals I usually live off of coffee so I may lighten up my teeth.

(all my current pictures are completely unedited, so you could see what I mean)

I would never, however, make my body look thinner or my breasts larger that is lying because I don't ever really look like that.

The truth will always eventually come out, IMO its no different than posting 10 year old pictures with you weighing 50-60 lbs less.
 untamedspirit009
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/19/2010 6:47:23 AM
The retouched photos are not so bothersome, it is the photo's posted of when they were 15 years and 20 pounds lighter that bother me. I happen to post my worse photo for a reason-it elimates those ones who base everything on looks alone, and it shows me as I am, naturally.

To each their own.
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/19/2010 6:56:52 AM
I suppose it depends on what exactly they did with photoshop. I sometimes blur or pixelate the background of my pictures if I have taken the picture near my home or in my bedroom. I do this because on my space I have some pictures up and a man actually found out where I lived just from my pictures alone. I thought he was putting me one, but he went on to tell me what my street and house number was.He even described what our flowers outside looked like. He then told me he had been driving up and down my street all day long hoping I would come out.
 chrisofpa
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/19/2010 8:39:34 AM
There was a scandal a while back where the publicity photos for perky katie couric were photoshopped to shave a few dozen pounds from her thighs and butt.

I happen to be one of those people that the camera hates, or perhaps loathes. I have to shoot a lot of pics to get a couple decent shots. An overwhelming majority of the women I've met on POF has said that I look much better in person than I do in my pics. (and that is before the wine).

The pic I have on my profile now with the parrot was shot by my son with his phone. I didn't retouch it other than one photoshop sharpen filter. The same with the other photos. I could easily make my hairline a lot better in the photos but I am who I am.

For our Christmas card the previous year I admit that I photoshopped that. I didn't have to do much for my wife other than darken some of the grey. For myself, I blurred the wrinkles out and also blurred my shirt to take a few pounds off. However, that was for family purposes so that friends and family did not have to hang some ugliness along with the rest of their cards.

BTW - I had an honesty policy when I was posting a lot of old stuff on ebay such as 1950's coca cola signs and even older soda fountain stuff from my grandparent's store. I deliberately took closeups of all the defects and put them in the auction photos. I never had a single complaint from a buyer. (No I do not post closeups of my defects on POF, we are limited to 8 pics with a free account)

Honesty is the best policy.
 padman57
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/19/2010 8:55:19 AM
Anything more than red eye removal should not be done.

I don't know who people think they're fooling. You might get a meeting this way, but the person is going to see you eventually and if you don't match your photo, they are going to take issue with it.
 RushLuv
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/19/2010 9:31:16 AM
Not a fan. When on these type of sites, people should always show the REAL them. By that, I don't mean posting photos of how they looked 10-15 years ago. But I suppose posting a doctored pic, or two wouldn't hurt just as long as pics of how you (in general) look today.

Never have I doctored any of my photos, and I don't have any plans to do so.

It is indeed deceitful, say if all photos are doctored.
 sugania
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/19/2010 9:34:57 AM
hate it...outside of red eye removal ...i do beleive its deceitful and find the pics with wording and stars just plain corny...
 Marathoner_in_Training
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/19/2010 9:45:50 AM
The same way I feel about "old" photos where a guy is a LOT heavier, shorter, older, and with less hair than his photo. Hate it.

I never, ever altered any of my photos other than cropping. I date them, I rotate them, I change them often as I get new ones. People who meet me know exactly what I look like. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for many of the guys I met on here....

But seriously, sometimes I look at profiles and I ask myself how on earth do they think that the photos posted will attract anyone. I'm all for beauty is in the eye of the beholder but really... posting something from the 80s? or blurry, or with sunglasses? Bleh!
 laughter001
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/19/2010 9:46:49 AM
I dislike photoshopped pics. I prefer seeing a bad photo rather than a retouched one. I think the glamour shots are annoying, too. I try to use photos that really show me accurately.
PS: I did use a photo that was 3 years old once. It was one of my secondary photos and showed me with my pets. I had one man ask me if all the pics were taken from the same time, and I immediately said that they had all been taken in the last 3 years, and I still dye my hair the same color and wear the same clothing size.
 conscious love
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/22/2010 2:02:13 PM
I wouldn't say that photoshopping photos is BAD, but, in my opinion, it sure does say that the person has low self-esteem.

I've photoshopped some of the pictures that I use in my profile, but just to delete stuff in the background. I think it looks nicer and cleaner if there isn't clutter behind me. But photoshopping your body... that's another thing. I want a guy to find MY body attractive. There are SO many people out there who have different ideas about what is beautiful. One of the women who responded to this thread said that she has a bump and a mole - but you know what - there are tons of guys who love moles! And bumps... :-)

Anyways, people are going to do it whether it's wrong or not, so might as well just accept it and take profile pics with a grain of salt.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > How do you feel about 'retouched' photos? (AKA. Photoshoped profile pics!!)