Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > UFC Fighter Diet: Toxic!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Dr. Gazebo
Msg: 1
UFC Fighter Diet: Toxic!Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Today they finally released UFC Heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar's medical history, which lead him to remain out of action for the better part of a year.

Brock developed diverticulosis, which is a direct result of his diet of protein and starch. He claims to have rejected vegetables most of the past few years, living mostly off of what he hunts and can get from the butcher. Diverticulosis resulted in acute inflammation of his bowel, what is called right sided appendicitis in some medical slang. The lack of fibre in his diet lead to the formation of small, cystic out pouchings in his colon that had to be drained. He was hosptialized in excruciating pain after fleeing from Canada's "primitive health care system" (Brocks quote, not mine).

This does lead me to reflect on a bad version of the zone diet. High protein diets are known to be toxic, trappers and other cold weather hunters have been known to develop a syndrome called rabbit starvation.

Its a good warning to us to, if following a high protein program, to always include lots of fresh vegetables and fibre in our diet. This whole thing could have been prevented with a modicum of good dietary coaching.

Its a high profile case and illustrative of how abuse of the body for sport can have life threatening consequences. Although Brock exchanges leather with some of the biggest baddest boys in the fight game, its paradoxical they he nearly killed himself with his diet.
 SecretSpice
Msg: 2
UFC Fighter Diet: Toxic!
Posted: 1/20/2010 4:21:24 PM
I find that its important never to leave out entire food groups. The pyramid needs to be balanced.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/20/2010 4:30:47 PM
Food groups are garbage. You don't need grains. You can EASILY get more than the recommended amount of fibre from nuts, seeds, legumes, and/or vegetables. Some people (but certainly not all) can survive and thrive without eating meat. I don't know why dairy is even considered a food group at all.

Foods are really protein, carbs, or fats, and some foods obviously a combination. You need all three, but you don't need any gov't instituted "food group" balance. It's absurd that we even need to consider there to be a pyramid in the first place.

which is a direct result of his diet of protein and starch
I didn't know you were his doctor! Starches often have fibre. Diverticulitis has also been suggested to having genetic causes, so it's rather presumptive to allege his medical condition is "the direct result" of a diet of protein and starch.
 DiannaBall
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/20/2010 4:55:12 PM
Puleaseeeeeeeeeee. Are you his doctor? I know we have a few on here...just askin. Like you really know it was just his diet. Yeah, okay. Fake doctors are more toxic than certain diets and lifestyles ; what works for one may not work for another.
 Dr. Gazebo
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/20/2010 5:07:45 PM
LOL

No I am not his doctor. But I read what he said and theres no reason to doubt his statements. And yes, I am a physiologist with a Ph.D. and yes, diverticulosis is caused by a low fibre diet.
 Scott3995
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/20/2010 8:34:57 PM
[QUOTE]I didn't know you were his doctor! Starches often have fibre. Diverticulitis has also been suggested to having genetic causes, so it's rather presumptive to allege his medical condition is "the direct result" of a diet of protein and starch. [/QUOTE]

Most starch at best have trace amounts of fiber, not really enough to make an impact.

I completely agree with you about wheat and dairy and wheat, though I do get lots of carbs in when I'm trying to gain mass, I stay away from dairy as much as possible. And since I have, my skin and muscles look much fuller and better, my gut doesn't distend as much and I don't get that bloating feeling. Milk really is garbage for many people, including myself.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/20/2010 8:46:17 PM
Wheat is violently toxic to me, dairy is not (for which I'm quite grateful) though I do usually limit my diary to low lactose dairy products.

Most starches don't have fibre? Refined starches don't, but given that starch is generally something found in grains and veggies, starches still have fibre. Granted, they'll usually have less insoluble fibre, and high carb foods generally have little in the way of insoluble fibre, there's nothing suggesting one can't still eat a lot of starches and get enough fibre.
 hamster-dance
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/20/2010 9:06:46 PM
I totally agree that you can get along just fine without grains. They aren't nearly the best source of fiber out there. I don't think they are bad for people in general though, just the people who have an intolerance, an allergy, celiac disease, etc. I eat some grains, but it isn't a big part of my diet and it's the one food group I worry least about getting more of.

I'm eternally grateful for dairy right now though, since it is my main source of protein and calcium. What is interesting is I used to have to limit my dairy intake due to gastro issues, but now it is no longer a problem.
 Scott3995
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/20/2010 11:17:55 PM

If high meat/ high starch diet was simply the case......( ever hear of the meat and potato person ????) there would be millions of meat and potato Americans falling dead everywhere...... or laying around on all the sidewalks in excruciating pain from acute bowel inflammation....

I am all for a balanced diet...... but just because one popular guy who happens to eat somewhat poorly and develops a particular condition while millions of people eat the same diet without getting this condition ........ I say he was genetically sensitive/ predisposed to this particular condition.....and his diet aggravated the condition.

I agree! I mean here's a low risk/high risk, with almost everyone having some type of blood sugar problem these days, I'm sure high protein people are much more on the safe side. I can now picture all the fat, obese, double chinned "BBW'S" now saying "I told you a high protein diet was bad for you".
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/21/2010 4:13:32 AM

high protein program, to always include lots of fresh vegetables and fibre in our diet

Indeed eats lots of veggies but you can also get lots fiber in your protein so enjoy a bowl of chili. Beans are loaded with fiber and protein. I call them a miracle food.

thecatsmeoww
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/21/2010 4:17:59 AM

lot of starches and get enough fibre.

Rule of thumb for starches if not at least 3 gms of fiber per serving do not eat it.. I really prefer mine to be at the level of 4 or 5.. I have some Whole Wheat & Bran matzo here that has 5 gms of fiber and is 90 calories per serving .. I only eat unleavened bread.. Found yeast puts weight on me.

thecatsmeoww
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/21/2010 4:20:29 AM

If high meat/ high starch diet was simply the case......( ever hear of the meat and potato person ????) there would be millions of meat and potato Americans falling dead everywhere...... or laying around on all the sidewalks in excruciating pain from acute bowel inflammation....

I suggest you look at how many are suffering from colon cancer and heart attacks..

thecatsmeoww
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/21/2010 6:13:09 AM

which is a direct result of his diet of protein and starch.

Animal protein with grains or any starch is a toxic diet especially when eaten together in the same meal or day.

It causes a highly acidic condition in the body.
So do most BEANS unless Adzuki or Edame, A few others are ok depends if fresh or dried in some cases.

Food groups are garbage. You don't need grains.

Agree completely...

Add that to exercise boom..You have a walking heart attack or cancer.

We are meant to eat a lot of vegetables to keep our bodies alkaline 7.4.
Never mix:
Meat/potatoes
Meat/breads
Meat/grains

Meat/sugar..oh those wings with sugary coatings
bar b que with sweet honey sauce.
Sausages with pancakes...

Protein and fruit (yogurt with fruit, ice cream ect)

We are meant to eat food in it's natural state or as close to it as we can get.

This combination of protein and starch is a real killer.
 DiannaBall
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/21/2010 6:31:27 AM
I eat my steak bloody rare with one cup of broccoli. Or my salmon mid rare with broccoli. :) Hold the starch. I do not eat any grains, or that stuff. I do not need it and my body functions fine. And before anyone slips off the POF deepend, my lab work shows I have above average results on all levels. Proof right there some diets are just FINE.
 SecretSpice
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/21/2010 8:27:42 AM

I can now picture all the fat, obese, double chinned "BBW'S" now saying "I told you a high protein diet was bad for you".

FrankNStein902
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/21/2010 12:16:52 PM

Its a good warning to us to, if following a high protein program, to always include lots of fresh vegetables and fibre in our diet. This whole thing could have been prevented with a modicum of good dietary coaching.

Or its just karma kickin a rednick in the azz.
 Dr. Gazebo
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/21/2010 3:38:44 PM
Of course starches often contain fiber. I think he is referring to boiled, skinned potatoes, meat and potatoes kind of diet. Fried potatoes.

The highest incidence of diverticulosis until recently are in the cowboys of the SW USA. The reliance on beans, which have low fibre levels and meat as a steady diet, predispose to diverticulosis. There are probably genetic risk factors and other minor factors, but so far, Brock's story is of a he-man, chuggin steaks and potatoes. You know, good old Buford Pusser white man food, the kind that gives you diabetes, hypercholesteremia and other processed food nasties.
 Mud-N
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/21/2010 5:05:10 PM
Yeah thats his own fault - stupidity.
He wants to win fight purses and he puts his body at risk.
It would have been better for him to lay on the stainless steel table being examined by the Medical Examiner. The world is to populated to have these stupid people living.
 Dr. Gazebo
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/21/2010 5:23:49 PM
reading about the Intuit's diets and didnt see this as a common problem...I suspect that they were smart enough to get enough fat in their diet

Yep.
 white_flag
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/21/2010 6:40:56 PM
Too much of anything is bad for you. Pure and simple.
 winteragain
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/21/2010 7:50:27 PM
Anyone know what Brock Lesnar's body looks like? If he got all that from hard training with meat and starches, sign me up.
 Dr. Gazebo
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/22/2010 12:23:43 PM
He got that big using steroids.
 DiannaBall
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/22/2010 6:46:50 PM
So what. It takes a hell of a lot more than just injecting steroids for size, just so you know. You do not just take steroids and get big (as in muscular big.) You still need to train and eat a lot of protein.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/22/2010 7:03:03 PM

So what. It takes a hell of a lot more than just injecting steroids for size, just so you know. You do not just take steroids and get big (as in muscular big.) You still need to train and eat a lot of protein.

So true.

It also takes genetics and a good does of narcissism as well.
 DiannaBall
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/22/2010 7:15:29 PM
Maybe to a degree on the Narciccistic stuff...lol Not everyone is but I see what you are saying. I am not against people using steroids, as long as they keep things in check. Like diet, exercise and not over doing it (on the juice.) Some people abuse them (like anything else.) I know of other things that should be illegal over steroid use. But hey, to each his or her own. I just laugh when people think they can take a few injections and think they are going to be instantly all that. Steroids are not bad ~ it is the abuse and mis understanding of them that is toxic.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > UFC Fighter Diet: Toxic!