Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Will America ever have a decade that was as interesting as the 60s?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CryManelli
Msg: 1
Will America ever have a decade that was as interesting as the 60s?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I've been waiting my whole life! The 70s were cool, the 80s were...uh, rad. The 90s sort a flew by and the naughties were kinda lame actually. But eventhough I wasnt around for most of the 60s, that decade seems to be the richest in terms of interesting things happening in American culture/society.
Heres some examples:
Assasination of JFK
Assasination of RFK and MLK
The Civil Right Movement
Summer of Love
Abortion and birth control controversies
Vietnam
Woodstock
The Beatles and Dylan
A man landing on the moon
...I guess this was all pretty much covered in Forest Gump, wasn't it?
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 2
Will America ever have a decade that was as interesting as the 60s?
Posted: 1/22/2010 11:14:19 AM
You're falling for the Baby Boomer hype. I'd say every decade of the 20th century before the 60's was more interesting.

Think about how people lived in 1900 versus 1950: there were no buildings over 5 stories in 1900; no automobiles; no radio or television; no movies; hardly any electricity; no suburbs; most people were born at home; most lived on farms.

They lived through the biggest changes ever seen as well as 2 world wars a Great Depression, assassinations, radical politics, the rise of unions and the middle class, California became what it is, as did Texas. Oil companies; General Electric; movie studios; board games; the weekend. I could go on, but the 60's were very uneventful by comparison.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2010 11:16:28 AM
Dude... you're the same age as me meaning the 60s were ending when you were still in diapers. Compare what you've experienced... not what you've heard about vs what you've experienced.

For me, the 80s were awesome...
 CryManelli
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/22/2010 11:21:12 AM
Yeah, the invention of board games was way more eventful than landind a man on the moon--what was I thinking?
But seriously, your list covers 50 years. Mine just covers the 60s. So specifically which decade would you say was more interesting culturally?
The Roaring 20s had radio and the first talking movies and jazz
The 30s had the Depression and the the great bank robbers and Babe Ruth.
The 40s had WWII and film noir
The 50s had Rock-n-Roll and the Cold War
But I dont see any decade that compares to the 60s.
 big pacific
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2010 11:40:21 AM
lol your subjective view of importance, maybe not.

Last 20 years that you "skipped over" had the largest terrorist act in the history of the world, the internet, red sox won the world series (twice), the change of the millenium, 2 wars, the death of saddam hussein, mother theresa, princess diana, michael jackson, steroids getting cleaned up in sports, an american winning the tour de france 5 times in a row, an olympics in china, the worst economy since the great depression and a SLEW of other things.

But yeah, nothing happened except in the 60's.
 yna6
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/22/2010 11:42:32 AM
60's definitely was a culture of change. American public being forced to see issues like never before.
Also a decade of discovery...not just in space, but of self-discovery too.

The time is marked in our minds mostly because of the changes forced in rapid succession onto the world stage. Also, the age of those involved had a lot to do with things...nostalgia. The last "great wave" of baby-boomers were getting the last of the brood born.

Since then, unemployment, poverty, homelessness, foolish judicial decisions, etc have again changed the face of American culture...often not for the best. An almost constant state of "bushfire wars" has worn down the youth, and the taxpayer. The uncaring attitude of corporate America towards the helth and well-being of their employees has manifested itself into the very fabric of peoples lives. The advent of "constant communications" has played a key role. The willingness of Americans to allow Uncle Sam to "see all, know all" has nibbled away their rights and freedoms. It is quickly becoming a police state.
Allowing the "flower child" attitude towards raising children has also affected things. The "entitled" attitude of many was brought forth when they took corporal punishment out of the schools, along with disrespect for authority figures, including parents. Political correctness has proven to be a nemesis of far greater magnitude than actually backing a cause!
Labelling poeple has run rampant. Can't seem to get along in life? Get a doctor to label you, so it isn't your fault. Rather than actually being punished for bad behaviour and being motivated to correct attitudes, we coddle poeple by saying "Oh...you have XXXX and therefore aren't at fault. Here...have this medication..." You didn't have that attitude in the 60's. You were held accountable for your behaviour and suitably rewarded or punished. For those few who actually were "retarded" or mentally disabled, the State would help. Until they emptied the mental institutions and cut back on the help.

Sure...there are always "scare" stories out there...but far more success ones.

Today, it isn't cool to be a patriot, or to love your country. It is almost a criminal offense to berate your countries stance in almost any given situation.
We place more weight on some actors opinion on a matter, rather than an experts. We idolize some people who have achieved some notariety or fame, and belittle those who need the help the most!

A nation of "Me first" has arisen. Forget family, friends, neighbours, etc. As long as you are ok, that is what is important. Many a divorce has seen that attitude, leaving the kids with the impression that marriage is really only a piece of paper and a tax dodge. No wonder so many wind up in divorces.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/22/2010 11:47:33 AM
I couldn't possibly give a comprehensive list - I included board games to show how everything (even the trivial) had changed by the time the 60's came in. Every decade before it brought in far more radical change and far more significant advances than anything that happened in that overhyped decade.

The 50's had not just Rock and Roll - Ray Charles invented soul; country music became what it is today. Highways were built; suburbs and shopping malls; babies everywhere and huge growth in the population and economy; television came into the homes; nations all over the world became independent; advertising as we know it was invented; polio was stopped; the elimination of small pox world wide was initiated (the single greatest achievement in human history); the real foundation of Civil Rights was enacted (Brown v Board of Education, Voting Rights Act); we still watch I Love Lucy - we don't watch the Beverly Hillbillies; the Beats; McCarthyism; MacArthur's return and eventual humiliation before the Senate committee. That's a partial list of one decade.

I still stand by my position that the 60's were both uneventful by comparison and vastly overhyped. No single by the Beatles sold as many copies as "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy I've got Love in My Tummy," and the year "Sergeant Pepper" came out the two top selling albums were by the Monkees.
 itechman63
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2010 11:50:04 AM

I included board games to show how everything (even the trivial) had changed by the time the 60's came in.

Did anyone ever actually USE the Carom Boards we all had in the 60s?
 Double Cabin
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2010 11:51:32 AM
As interesting as those times might have been 1968 is unequivocally the worst year in the history of our Republic. Tet, the Pueblo, MLK, RFK, Chicago, Checkoslovakia, etc. We really were on the brink, not just in the proclamations of self absorbed and deceitfull alarmists with an agenda counterproductive to the needs of our nation.

As cool as the 60s might have been we will never compete with the "Greatest Genration Ever." They REALLY did nothing less than save the world.
 RocketMan_Len
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/22/2010 11:51:58 AM
OP...

Are you aware that the phrase 'May You Live in Interesting Times' is actually a Chinese *curse*...?

I would venture to guess that there *will* be times as interesting as the 60s... it's just that we likely won't be around to witness them.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/22/2010 12:10:02 PM

Are you aware that the phrase 'May You Live in Interesting Times' is actually a Chinese *curse*...?

Possibly not a Chinese curse but a curse attributed to the Chinese.

One source:

http://everything2.com/title/May+you+live+in+interesting+times

All fine and well. Until you ask a Chinese scholar, that is. Or any native Chinese-speaker. Torrey Whitman, president of the China Institute in New York and said to be a bit of an authority on Chinese proverbs, was asked about it, and here's what he is quoted as saying in response:

"...what is most noteworthy about the expression is that it is not Chinese. There is no such expression, "May you live in interesting times," in Chinese. It is a non-Chinese creation, most probably American, that has been around for at least 30 or 40 years. It appears in book prefaces, newspapers (frequently in the New York Times) and speeches, as an eye- or ear-catcher, although I have not found it in Bartlett's Quotations or other quotation sourcebooks. I speculate that whoever it was who first coined it attempted to give the expression a mystique, and so decided to attribute it to the Chinese."

There does seem something of an allure to the '60s, probably the product of a lot of nostalgia and glossing over.

Hey, the '70s had the Iran hostage situation and Watergate, the 80's had Tiannemen and the Exxon Valdez, the 90s had the first Gulf War, the 'Uh-ohs' had the second Gulf War.

Or, as Austin Powers put it, "Oh, you don't want to go back to the '60s. Since then, there was an energy crises and a Flock of Seagulls and not...much...else!"
 CryManelli
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/22/2010 12:22:06 PM
The 60s are overhyped-I'm not disputing that. But at the same time, come on, they were interesting as hell from a cultural aspect. Can you name another decade that introduced the world to the caliber of musicians as Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, The WHo, The Kinks, The Velvet Underground, The Grateful Dead, Simon and Garfunkel, Neil Young, The Beach Boys, The Doors, The Stooges, Led Zep, Black Sabbath, and on and on? Plus there was the advent of Motown
Also can you think of another decade in which the clothing and hair styles changed so drastically. I mean the decade began with crew cuts and ended with long hair?
The decade also went from black and white to color, in tv and film.
And politically what other decade has seen as many assasinations and protests and monumental supreme court case (abortion)? There was Vietnam and the cold war and the cuban missile crisis, and the space race. There was civil rights movement--and this cannot be downplayed as to its importance, remember Martin Luther King wasnt the only black man assasinated during the 60s (Medgar evers, Malcolm , and on and on). There was the rise of Richard Nixon, the rise of Charles Manson. There was the counter-culture authors/poets like Hunter S. Thompson and Ken Kesey, William Burroughs, Tom Wolfe, Allan GInsburg. There were artists like Robert Crum and Dr. Suess and Andy Warhol and Stan Lee and Roy Lichtenstien. There was the popularization of new drugs, that basically created the drug culture. There was a major change in attitudes about sex. The 60s also saw the first muscle cars, the first lasers, first ATMs, first heart transplant and the first video cameras.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/22/2010 12:22:12 PM

There were quite a few over this side of the pond! St Paul's Cathedral for one. Built in 1710 it stands 365 feet high, that's around 35 stories

I wasn't talking about buildings built big for religious purposes - I meant the everyday buildings. There weren't safe elevators, so 5 stories was pretty much the limit. The safe elevator is arguably the most significant invention of the 20th century - cities as we know them were impossible without it.

And yeah, you were young in the 60's so you think it was an amazing decade. That's the problem. Way too many people who were young in that decade get to define it. I think the mid 70's Montreal Canadiens were the greatest hockey team ever, because I was 15 then. No music, sports team, movie or popular culture will ever match up to what we experience when we're young.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/22/2010 12:28:30 PM

The pill was invented.... with grateful thanks to Margaret Sanger, an American lady and Marie Stopes, a British lady! The Pill was the best invention ever!

The '70s had Roe v Wade. The '80s had AIDS. The 00's had gay marriage.

The mini-skirt was invented. The Mini-skirt was the best invention ever!

Yes. With this, I agree. So yeah, on this basis alone, the 60's were the Best. Decade. Ever!
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/22/2010 3:55:46 PM
Well before you get to the sixties again...
gotta relive the 30's we're stuck in now.
:-(
 RocketMan_Len
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/22/2010 6:57:44 PM
StarGazer...

Possibly not a Chinese curse but a curse attributed to the Chinese.

Thanks for the correction - I was unaware of that.
 earthlingsRevenge
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/22/2010 7:50:05 PM
60's were definitely a colorful decade. Not only in USA, even Europe and other parts of the world were also stirred up by social changes. What was more interesting, young college, university students were in the fore front of this social revolution which created many young leaders who are still active in social and political scenes.

Too much LSD had taken its toll. That's why we can say..

70's - Sobering up decade
80's - Rock n Roll decade
90's - 'DUH' decade
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/22/2010 9:27:39 PM
Actually, the 60's (or rather the boomers whose golden age it was) is conspicuous for how few leaders came out of it. Clinton and W are the only two Presidents from that generation. Both were pretty disappointing and polarizing. Neither one did anything worthy of emulation by a future President. The hippies of the 60's could hardly imagine what the results would be once they finally got their hands on power.

That's just politics, but it's largely the same in every field. Lennon and McCartney weren't Boomers; but KC and the Sunshine Band were. Ginsberg wasn't a Boomer; Judith Krantz is. Neither Bill Gates nor Warren Buffet came of age in the 60's; Donald Trump did.

Over rated decade; worthless generation. (Okay, I'm being a little hyperbolic, but I'm trying to provoke.)
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2010 10:38:00 PM
I was lucky enough to be around for them, and I do think they were rather amazing years to live through. Just the social change alone was worth the admission.

I was also lucky enough to live in LA for awhile in 1966, in a suburb called Duarte (not sure if it's still there). I was there for month or so, and it was a golden age for the working class. Compared to where I was living (Quebec City) at the time, this was like a new planet.

Average workers owning their own cars and houses, many with swimming pools. No real debt to speak of. This type of lifestyle was quite different, and attractive. Few people I knew back home then could say this, even with similar jobs.

Add to that a musical soundtrack that's still amazing to hear, and it gave one a sense of hope and vitality.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot....

Americans even had trucks that went around the neighborhood selling ICE CREAM AND POPSICLES !

You didn't even have to walk to the store, they came to YOU....even little kids !

I thought you were GODS !
 Outdoor2
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2010 10:46:25 PM
Probably the most significant decade EVER was the 1850's. It was the beginning of commercial drilling and production of....petroleum!

While the internal combustion engine had been tinkered with for several decades previously....with the advent of readily available oil the world would change in such significant ways that still affect us today.

Another very significant decade was the 1750's and the sharp rise in population growth.
See more here....the graph is rather stunning...
http://www.deathreference.com/Nu-Pu/Population-Growth.html

I think the 60's are pointed to because it was a worldwide generational movement....something we haven't seen...to such a degree....since.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2010 8:58:33 AM
Civil rights for African-Americans ?

The start of the Women's movement ?

The start of the environmental movement ?
 CryManelli
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/23/2010 11:57:06 AM
Also wasn't the 1960 Nixon-Kennedy debate the first televised Presidential debate?
I think the way we look at politics during the 60s changed dramatically.

I dont think you can call the 60s a failure. In order to be a failure there must be some purpose. How can a decade have a purpose? But if you want to say the BabyBoomers agenda or purpose was a failure, then that is something that could be discussed. Personally I think that eventhough the Babyboomers had a large imprint on the 60s, there was also alot of other things going on as well. I dont think history will look at the 60s entirely through the scope of the BabyBoomer lens, I think we are already seeing the 60s through the perspective of younger generations (I think technically I am considered to be Generation X).
 Imported_labor
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/23/2010 12:09:30 PM

There wasn't near as much lasting social change as it appeared there would be at the time. That was the disappointment of the 60's. The 60's failed.

Perhaps the 80s had something to do with some of the social changes initiated in the 60s.

I remember the 80s when the gospel of the profits took over the US, and all that mattered for many people was making profits.

Some people even started making profits out of the mentally retarded that were thrown out onto the streets, and the same with the elderly people when the government closed the institutions that used to care for them.

Other people took the opportunity of making profits in the business of military procurements.

With so much preaching and pushing toward selfishness during the 80s it is no wonder that some of what the 60s brought us has faded a bit. But the struggle continues and the communal spirit will come back.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2010 12:22:44 PM
Not as far as music goes, but as far as anything else.......yeah.

The only way communal spirit is coming back is if the government bankrupts us all and we all have to squat in tents together to survive.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/23/2010 12:26:02 PM
The problem is, that it was the Flower Children and hippies of the 60's that voted for the political changes of the 80's. Once they were no longer of draft age and had decent jobs, all they wanted was lower taxes.

If you look at the 60's, the selfishness was there all along - they just dressed it up in a different rhetoric. There's a reason why the 70's became the Me Decade. And the 80's the Greed Decade. It was that big demographic coming through - one that really wasn't interested in others. Vietnam was only important because their generation had to go. Students issues were only important because they were students. "Tune in. Turn on. Drop out," has to be the single most egotistical and selfish slogan to define any generation. Oh, and "Don't trust anyone over 30."
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Will America ever have a decade that was as interesting as the 60s?