Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Parsnips      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 curlygrl
Msg: 1
ParsnipsPage 1 of 1    
I saw parsnips at my produce store today.

I would like to try them but I am not sure.

What do they taste like and what can I do with them.

Thanks for helping me out. I really dont know what they are and I
would really like to try something different but I want to first see
what you guys have to say.
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Parsnips
Posted: 1/26/2010 4:49:25 PM
Parsnips are parsley roots. They have a delicate taste, reminiscent of . . . parsley, but not too strong. They're a little bit like very young, fresh, turnips. I would cook them in a little salted water, drain them well, and puree them with butter.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 3
Parsnips
Posted: 1/26/2010 6:03:33 PM
ick. I hate parsnips. To me, they taste like dirty wood.
 curlygrl
Msg: 4
Parsnips
Posted: 1/27/2010 2:19:12 PM
Ladies and Turk - thank you so very very much.

I bought a bag of them. Im going to try them.

Im not sure about how I am going to make them yet but all your
suggestions are wonderful.

Maybe roasting with garlic - Turk thanks alot.

SS - ALWAYS a pleasure seeing you!!!
 TooShadows
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Parsnips
Posted: 1/27/2010 7:16:15 PM
To me they are very much like carrots. I use them wherever I'd use carrots,like soup or stew,or just boiled,steamed,roasted,or whatever.
 arwen52
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Parsnips
Posted: 1/27/2010 7:17:59 PM
They are like a mild carrot. I used them in soups & stews, love them. I also had them roasted with some other root vegetables once. My friend made up a mixture of brown sugar and mustard (sounds weird but it was good) and a little oil, tossed the cut up root vegetables in it to coat, and roasted them at 400°F til soft.
 Liz463
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Parsnips
Posted: 1/30/2010 5:48:40 AM
I cut them in chunks and add to a roast when I'm cooking a roast. When you add the potatoes, carrots, onions add in a few chunks of parsnips too.

I also add to soups where I have lots of other vegetables and roast them when I'm roasting other veggies. I haven't ever eaten just parsnips as a side dish. I usually mix them in with other vegetables. I hadn't thought to try with fennel, I may try that too.

Hint: They keep a long time so you can experiment with different dishes you already make. Only thing I haven't liked was when I combined with Barley in a soup. The barley and parsnips flavors didn't combine well - at least for my taste buds.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Parsnips