Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The Shape of a Face      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 1
The Shape of a FacePage 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Recently, I wandered into an article indicating that the shape of someone's face can be indicative of a person's personality. Skeptical at first, I kept reading and reading. Too many articles on the subject later, I had to give in a little. It seems, that many people I know (women and/or men) do have at least some of the personality traits associated with their face shape. I know that I have a penchant for a certain shaped face (i.e.: must have a chin and not a whimpy one, unique nose, wide-open/inquisitive eyes, not too round overall, etc.) Has anyone else thought about or noticed they have a "face type" ????

(Just one of the articles I found:)
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/face-readings-face-shape-and-personality.html
 SexyKG74
Msg: 2
view profile
History
The Shape of a Face
Posted: 1/27/2010 8:11:13 PM
I have...personally, I'm not attracted to guys with extremely full round faces. I prefer chiseled features/defined jawlines (but not in the Jay Leno type of way), and eyes that aren't too close together.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 3
The Shape of a Face
Posted: 1/27/2010 8:14:17 PM

I haven't done as much homework as you. Do you mean that a certain shape goes with a certain personality? Or does one shape the other? I don't believe in a coincidental correlation. An ugly face can make for a humble personality, or a worried personality can make for a wrinkled face. That I can see, but how would a connected earlobe go with an introvert character? I'd like to understand how facial feature and personality feature influence each other, then I can agree.

Yes, certain features go with certain personality traits. No, the shape is not shaped due to personality (that would be impossible I think ?? It's not talking about frown lines, etc., rather bone structure and genetic facial traits.) It's also not about ugly or not ugly (as that's subjective.) It's very specific about high chins meaning x, y, z, close set yes, etc., etc.

http://www.2knowmyself.com/face_reading/face_reading_face_shape
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 4
The Shape of a Face
Posted: 1/27/2010 8:25:53 PM
^^I don't know, I would assume the face reading people view without color. However, certain Asians have their own views on reading a face apparently:

The Chinese have their own theory of interpreting faces, their shapes and features. According to them, ears that are above the eyebrow level, flat against the head and with long earlobes are supposed to be auspicious. Small earlobes and a narrow door are not considered auspicious. The Chinese believe that long and dark eyebrows are lucky while pale and thin ones are not. A high, straight bridge of the nose is an auspicious sign, while it is not considered good to have a low and crooked nose. Symmetrically balanced and closed lips are considered fortunate, while those with contrary characteristics are considered unlucky. A full fleshy chin signifies luck, while a thin and pointed one is supposed to be unlucky. True, the eyes are the mirrors of our minds! The Chinese consider large, wide-set eyes as auspicious. Small, close-set eyes with small pupils are considered unlucky.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 5
view profile
History
The Shape of a Face
Posted: 1/27/2010 9:20:25 PM
Dayum, and I was liking that my round face indicates friendliness.
I've never especially liked my round face and there I was, thinking at least there's some good in it afterall. And now you're telling me it's bunk! oh well.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 6
view profile
History
The Shape of a Face
Posted: 1/27/2010 9:31:23 PM
I don't know if I HAVE one, as in attached to the front of my head. As for choosing one over another when looking for beauty....not really.
I have actually thought a great deal on exactly this issue (I think a lot about almost every issue!) before, as part of trying to figure myself out. I can't say I've seen any personality types associated with face shapes. There are some face shapes which are more likely to turn up in one national/cultural setting than another, so I've run into my having certain expectations, assumptions, or even prejudices for and against people due to that. I haven't read the article in your link yet (I will), but I've seen similar. I saw one earlier this year which claimed that women with pointier chins were more likely to be promiscuous, or unfaithful. Other than the possible connection with testosterone balance being involved (it has been shown clearly that taking certain steroids to boost muscle growth, also tend to cause the jaw bone to build the chin to a sharper point), I was skeptical about it.
Any such "study" tries to sort people into the author's set of categories based on a feature or other parameter, and often suffers from what might be called "interpretationitis." The internet and other news sources are full of well-intentioned interpretations of collections of data which SEEM to provide insight, but which ultimately also provide almost as much additional misinformation. If I believed the chin shape theory, I'd never try to build an LTR with a woman with a pointy chin...but the women I've seen in my own and friends lives, who were unfaithful, did not fit ANY chin-shape category.
 Arabianangel
Msg: 7
The Shape of a Face
Posted: 1/27/2010 10:27:03 PM
Good topic OP...I know I have a book somewhere in the house that pretty much describes facial features as being a prominent indicator of personality type...

Personally i'm not attracted to men with thin lips, i've often found the fuller the lips the more passionate and warm the person is. I've also found the same to be true with long noses, the longer the nose the stingier one is...
 EvilLolli
Msg: 8
view profile
History
The Shape of a Face
Posted: 1/28/2010 12:53:01 AM
Well the face is the first thing we notice in general(yes, a generalization). A lot of personality can have to do with genetics, hormones, and nuturing. We tend to(even as babies-scientifically proven) respond best to features we find attractive/familiar.

Is it indicative of personality? I don't think it, like any science is 100%. But it can give some good clues. Both women and men tend to gravitate to certain features. It may have as much to do with early imprinting as "face-reading".

I have a hard time with it, since I consider myself a euro-mutt(pick a European nationality-it's in my history) to have heard others guesses at my heritage is shocking. I have been called Asian, Native American, Irish, a Man, White Trash, etc. Due to facial features.

If my face or someone else's is indicative of personality, I want pictures to compare to. LOL
 majyk1
Msg: 9
The Shape of a Face
Posted: 1/28/2010 1:18:25 AM
Thats just like believing in a horoscope to me. I'll pass.
 luckyhot777s
Msg: 10
The Shape of a Face
Posted: 1/28/2010 2:11:50 AM
The only way I think a shape of a face could shape a personality, is if its handsome/beautiful, or not.....the effect it has on others, and how they treat you....how this treatment shapes you.

No offence but, all I read in these forums is how women seem to pick or run into the wrong men......when I read the reasons of attractions women have to men and how they seem to associate looks with personality....

Its almost fairy tale like....I will admit though, there are certain types of faces that hit me more than others....not necessarily beauty either...but I'm wise enough to know...it stops there, because this has nothing to do with her character, and general things I look for in a person....beyond just meer looks.

What you basically described ...is a goodlooking man.
 luckyhot777s
Msg: 11
The Shape of a Face
Posted: 1/28/2010 2:36:45 AM

Thats just like believing in a horoscope to me. I'll pass.

....other than saying its nice to see someone who can see the forest thru the trees.....I think I will refrain too from any other comments to this question...
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 12
The Shape of a Face
Posted: 1/28/2010 2:50:37 AM
Oy!! I wasn't talking about good or bad looks. I was simply asking: 1) if anyone has a face-type; 2) if anyone had thought of facial features being indicative of any personality traits; 3) had anyone thought of this or read about it previously.

Personally? I find it plausible. Much like the West Point info pointed out here. I read that when I first stumbled onto the "face reading" information. I don't believe ANYONE is claiming it's tried/true or written in stone. I just found it interesting and quite honestly ~ because forums are soooooooooooooooooooo frickin' stale lately, I posted it. (And since this went completely OFF TOPIC early on ~ what's up with all of the War and Peace original posts lately??? Anyone else notice that? 16 paragraphs to simply ask: "Why isn't s/he into me.") **shrugs**

Happy posting everyone. Thanks for the input.
 jamie9562
Msg: 13
The Shape of a Face
Posted: 1/28/2010 3:27:57 AM
this subject would be the bastion of the incredibly superficial and in fact, the very definition of the word...just sayin:)
 Arabianangel
Msg: 14
The Shape of a Face
Posted: 1/28/2010 3:31:50 AM

Get in a bad accident and have those good looks taken away and you better hope you have a great mind and language skills in order to work and make money. But what do I know, since I am no beauty.

A car accident could also erase every bit of intelligence one has, not just the 'pretty face'.

Even though this topic has nothing to do with good or bad looks, I tend to find what you posted kind of disturbing. The energy that reeks out of it is rather scary.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 15
The Shape of a Face
Posted: 1/28/2010 3:40:53 AM
Without cosmetic surgery, how does one change their face? Yes, weight loss/gain will do it. Age can do it, as well. How does one morph their face? (I really am curious.) Yes, we look tired some times, sorrowful, etc., etc., yet expressions and facial structure are two drastically different things. How does nature v. nurture play a part here? Because I had a good childhood vs. a bad one somehow shapes my face? Genetics are what they are. I was born with this face ~ no matter what did or didn't/has or hasn't happened. (Aside from weight/age.) My bone structure was in place and remains.
 Arabianangel
Msg: 16
The Shape of a Face
Posted: 1/28/2010 3:43:43 AM
Perhaps our faces are part of the tools we need to get us through our journey....Just thinking out loud.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 17
The Shape of a Face
Posted: 1/28/2010 3:51:40 AM
I love a great face.

It needs to have a few years on it to get a good read on it.

Interesting faces that have lived.

I don't think your bone structure from birth is going to tell much about your personality.
Does sound like astrology..fits all bunk.

Also the race thing...

Your shape from certain continued muscle movements may affect it over the years.

To bad we can't see handwriting on the net.
I do really think there is a bit to that. LOL
 luckyhot777s
Msg: 18
The Shape of a Face
Posted: 1/28/2010 3:53:20 AM
I said I wouldn't comment further.... but,I read the op's responce ....I think it was a different question, and they do get stale...there is a reason for my responce and it wasn't the question either.....

I could explain, but not here.
 charlie_girl_2
Msg: 19
The Shape of a Face
Posted: 1/28/2010 4:48:52 AM
In a man, I tend to go for the strong-looking, rugged type face. I like to see that by some crinkling near the eyes and mouth that he has a sense of humor and yet, has a life -- has experienced the real and unreal. Hair that has a mind of its own that he has to brush off his brow. Examples would be a younger Harrison Ford when he played Indy or a much, much younger, Nick Nolte.

A good shaped face to me would be one where the features are evenly placed, not too round nor too angular.

Sorry, I know you indicated (more than once) OP, that you are not seeking responses as to "looks" but that is what I invision when I think of the "shape of a face" -- a man's face, anyway.

Charliegirl
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 20
The Shape of a Face
Posted: 1/28/2010 4:53:45 AM
^^^^LOL!! I was really just hoping that it wouldn't get to the bashing "you're just shallow" stuff with my reinterance!! I agree with you ~ the shape of a face can be enticing.
 luckyhot777s
Msg: 21
The Shape of a Face
Posted: 1/28/2010 5:34:25 AM
Hey, I can agree a face can be enticing....but I draw the line thinking because an eyebrow is slightly crooked, it means they spend to much money, or are not compassionate, etc....or this, that and the other.

There is merit to the responce that said life itself and a persons experiences can shape a face...buts that an individual thing and different than features a person is born with . Some features don't change basically just modify, and that would show possible an attitude problem.
 mr.evil
Msg: 22
The Shape of a Face
Posted: 1/28/2010 8:40:46 AM
Well I always have a problem with face shape, my horns protruding from my forehead, tend to draw all attention to that, then the rest of my features are ignored.
 bikeman1467
Msg: 23
view profile
History
The Shape of a Face
Posted: 1/28/2010 1:08:47 PM

Has anyone else thought about or noticed they have a "face type" ????
Not me. Granted one can be attracted to another person's face, but for me the face is just piece of the attraction puzzle; I really don't think the shape of someone's face has any strong correlation or bearing on any sort of relationship success.
 Helen0426
Msg: 24
The Shape of a Face
Posted: 1/28/2010 1:19:24 PM
Yep. I tend to like strong, large, fleshy and somewhat irregular features... they might be described as "craggy" types by a casting director. I also tend to go for gregarious and highly verbal personalities. I have noticed no correlation whatsoever between the two.
The Shape of a Face
Posted: 1/28/2010 3:39:53 PM

I've also found the same to be true with long noses, the longer the nose the stingier one is...

Boy, ole' Pinnochio must have been a real tightwad :)

There has been a lot of research that shows most people are attracted to faces that are symmetrical. The more symmetrical the face, the more attractive they appear. They're not exactly sure why this is, but they think the perception is: symmetry = healthy. But I'm not sure they have proven that to be true.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The Shape of a Face