Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do guys like clingy women?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Do guys like clingy women? Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
The variations in interpretations of the words you are using is all this is about. If "clingy" means "likes to hold hands a lot", some guys will like that. When it means "panicking every time the guy looks at something other than her," it's rather unpleasant.
The subject has been gone over and over on all these words, so review old threads, and you'll find your answers.
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 7
Do guys like clingy women?
Posted: 1/31/2010 9:18:02 AM
I would expect "clingy" to be on most guys' top ten list of qualities they DON'T want so maybe your exes were interpreting it to mean "affectionate."
 chameleonf
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/31/2010 9:48:41 AM
"Clingy" used as a term at it's worst (someone who won't let you take a breath without them in your face) I'm sure has it's place for an equally insecure individual who requires someone to cling to them. So, although I'd say the majority of men don't like a clingy woman of this kind, there are certainly those men who require it to make their own world turn.
 Commonsens
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/31/2010 10:09:52 AM
It's all about the how much clingy. (Clingy: too dependent on the company or emotional support of the other person)

Like anything, it depends on the 'level': either it coud be a little, moderatly or way too much.

I had one Serious GF (we where living together) that was so much overboard 'clingy' that it was suffocating! I ended that relationship for several reasons: Even if I was spending all of my time with her, going everywhere with her, when it came to the point that I had zero time for myself at all (ever! for anything!) , had to stop doing things I love to do but that she can't do with me for several reasons (skydiving and diving) , that, at home, she was even always in the same room that I was all the time (could not even take a shower alone!), and if I was at work get zillions of mesages per day: I could not function anymore, could not breath anymore: suffocating completly!

In her case: she was an extreme 'clingy'.

Whould anyone want an extreme assertive partner?
Whould anyone want an exteme aggressive pertner?
Whould anyone want an extreme jealous partner?

No, because ANY extremes (too much and even none at all) denote a deep psychological problem; and the person looking for those extremes also have psychological problems, generaly to the invert of that tendant. (ex: someone who is looking for an extreme assertive have insecurities or power trip problems)

A little or moderatly (of anything) is great on the other hand, because it shows that this person care about you and also it add a little 'pimento' to the relationship.
 lionheart101364
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2010 10:46:00 AM
wow this is second thing you put down that is very telling of who you are. When someone broadcast something like this I know right off who you are. Clingy fits perfect with what you wrote down before. Everyone RUUUUUUUNNNNN at lest the guys should.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2010 3:46:45 PM
As someone else noted, clingy behavior is tolerable when you are into the person. It is undesirable if you are not and many clingy people engage in stalking.

I think most men/women like a balanced person who wants to do things for them that are appropriate given the length and depth of association but don't want someone that is more like an intrusion than positive addition to their lives. It isn't tough to figure out when someone doesn't want you around.
 DIVISION77
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/31/2010 7:24:24 PM
There is nothing worse than a Stage 5 Clinger.

That's a woman who is borderline stalker material.

You give her your IM and she is leaving several messages per day even before you've spoken to her.

You give her your number and she's left several voicemails before you've even had the chance to speak.

If you invite her to your place, there's a good chance she'll be back later after a breakup to confront you and your new love interest.

Do not get involved with a Clinger.

NYCman530
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2010 7:47:41 PM
If you mean clingy as in not giving me space and wanting to be around me 24-7, I'd say no. If you meant clingy as displaying affection, whether it be in public or private, I'd say yes. As far as agressive, passive, passive-aggressive, and assertive are concerned, I'd pick assertive. As far as chasing and being chased, I think it should be done in a subtle way, not being too obvious which only displays neediness. The man and woman need to detect signals from each other, which isn't always easy.
 licoricecat_1
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2010 11:20:59 AM
Most secure men do not like clingy women,who are insecure, jealous, won't let them do the activities they enjoy without them being present. I personally like a take charge guy who pursues me but watches for signals if I am interested in him or not and if I pursue back. If I am clearly not interested, he will know it since I am honest and not very passive. I am quite assertive and if it is someone I am not interested in and he does not pick up the obvious signals----I will become very assertive and if he continues to pursue me----I will let him assertively know that I am not interested. There will be no question, since I am very assertive. I am not the type of woman to keep a guy guessing---he usually will know within the first contact or two. It is flattering to me when a guy pursues me and makes the first move to initiate contact. It is not flattering to me when a guy comes on physically too strong and feels insecure when I set the boundaries and then whines about it. and then has a bad attitude about it... I need space and respect when I am not interested. Both men and women need to be able to indulge in their interests when dating because the other party will become resentful and that is when the passive-aggressive behavior comes in at times. Passive-aggressive behavior is not healthy. Assertive and honest behavior with tact and concern is the healthiest way to be and encourages growth between 2 parties. Even if it may be painful---be honest and then decide whether the relationship could continue or not. This way you could still be friends---if you mutually agree that you cannot stay together.
 EddRook
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2010 12:37:05 PM
I want to love a woman who loves herself. This means to me that we should both be separate people who also exist within a unit. I believe that you should love someone in a vacuum; by this I mean that even if you were not in their life and you just observed them like a god or fairy or something, then you'd still love them. Many people don't love like that, they love people because they get love in return. To people who love because they receive love, clingyness is appealing.

Short answer, no, clingy is annoying and pointless. Self respect, inner strength and a pure heart are what matter.
 ASSMan316
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2010 5:14:33 PM
it really depends on how u define clingy? If she's calling u 100 times day, controlling, jealous exc. then I'd say no. But if she just likes to hang out with u about everyone else, likes to hug snuggle, makes u feel like your number one then yeah, I'd totally go for that! If a girl msgs me and continually expresses their interest then that just makes me more interested them yeh know...?if your not interested then I'm not interested period!
 RugbyIrish
Msg: 33
Posted: 2/20/2010 1:10:04 PM
Your questions are almost contradictory in nature.

A clingy woman typically is not assertive and aggressive. So the men who say they like clingy and assertive are full of shit. Women that are clingy typically have emotional/ego issues that lead them to have those personality traits. That being said, I hate clingy women. Emotionally clingy. If they are clingy as in "needy" for affection, I can deal with that.

A majority of the women I date typically are aggressive and assertive. Maybe that is why I date women who are in sports or played sports. They typically have the alpha trait that I admire in a woman.I dig the alpha-female who will put me in my place when needed.

I am more of an alpha-male in nature... I tend to see what I want and I go for it head first. I am willing to take chances, speak my mind, defend myself and my lover at all cost. That probably explains my preference.
 lateā„¢
Msg: 34
Posted: 2/20/2010 1:22:54 PM
For me, OK here it is: agressive can be attractive, so can affectionate, the lesser form of clingyness. Passive women make me yawn.

Exactly, and for me, the word "purposeful" is a better choice than "aggressive".

Chase or chased means nothing, if I like someone, I chase, I expect the same from her.

Same here, if that doesn't happen, ...nothing will.

As for passive-aggressive, nah-uh, no way. Sorry, this always ends badly. They won't answer your phone calls, for some imagined slight, blow things out of proportion, due to insecurity. They don't know how to fight, always bringing in somethings that happened 5 or 6 months ago, that they did not like, to control the fight. I like a woman who, when upset, brings it up right away, so we can deal with it, and put it behind us, not one who harbors anger.

Passive aggression being one of the most cowardly forms of expressing anger, yeah ...I'll pass on this too.

Clingy, in it's worst form, stems from insecurity also... ...I guess, it's insecure women, I'm really not a big fan of.

The fine line that separates "clingy" from "affectionate" is purpose, ...and yes, the former stems from insecurity, the latter from its opposite. I think some people get the two confused sometimes.

I would rather have a purposeful affectionate woman any day, ...so glad I found her.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do guys like clingy women?