Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Revealing one's income      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ClassC
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Revealing one's incomePage 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
there are five or six pages of commentary...
see the thread
DATING FOR THE MONEY
that express more perspectives on what you have strong feelings about...
I wish you luck with your dilemma...*what to do, what to do*
(keep the figure at the low end of the equation...?cuz it'll be less attractive to the advertisers the owner of this site is seeking to attract??
advertising is on the head of our home page...anyone can buy a 'spot'...
and income is just one of the 'targets' for marketers...
we are for sale...we are for sale... we are for sale...
(and will someone explain where the questions are in our 'mating and dating' that indicate that it will help or hinder or broaden(whatever....) our *matches*??? like the owner of this site indicated when we expressed outrage before??
reveal one's income...rules say nope...in Canada, I've been told...so....
remove the question...
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Revealing one's income
Posted: 2/2/2010 6:31:36 PM
I put in an income amount...question would be is it the correct one?
 Mon Cherie
Msg: 21
Revealing one's income
Posted: 2/3/2010 5:29:05 PM
^^^that's probably true, no one would care about the new feature too much if they had the option of 'prefer not to say' but then people would post comments about people who always post 'prefer not to say' and assume they 'prefer not to say' because of this reason or that reason

This is all getting too serious, people can either accept the change or leave POF.

I wonder if they posted the income beside the pictures in the rating if that would affect how people rated the pictures? Would the ugly people with high incomes get higher ratings by the gold diggers and would the beautiful people with low incomes get lower ratings?
 ms-affection
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Revealing one's income
Posted: 2/3/2010 7:19:34 PM
I totally agree with all you said kiablueeyes...I can care for myself...and while I don't want to meet a freeloader, I trust my intuition (and a few visible signs like a rusted 20 yr old jalopy..with old insurance stickers on the plate).

Money is an issue in a relationship....but it isn't up to some stranger to make my all my choices for me. Please let me make my own mistakes! ms
 Bigandtalldancer
Msg: 24
Revealing one's income
Posted: 2/3/2010 9:56:18 PM
Personally, I don't really care one way or t'other....IF my income is important to someone.... to the left!
 Outdoor2
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Revealing one's income
Posted: 2/5/2010 1:15:20 AM
Myster Boring.

Yes...not much more than data mining...it is everywhere in society today...and not for our benefit...but theirs...
 Ed Bear
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Revealing one's income
Posted: 2/5/2010 3:11:15 AM
Like most of us here, I've been ruminating about the Income Issue these last weeks.

There's a fundamental shift here, I realize. It's a transition, or a conflict of value, between the idea of matchmaking and that of seeking.

Traditional matchmaking systems - whether "dating club" or grandma - were in large part in the business of convincing their customers to accept whoever they had on file, since they generally had few really plausible candidates who hadn't been ling around forever.

Computer systems could be free and still attract millions of customers. And instead of being sold someone, the customers could make their own overtures (however tragically hopeless they might be) to those they selected.

We're probably not that appreciative of systems that try to match us, when what we value here is freedom and access. Even to people who aren't likely to waste time responding at all, or even reading what we send. I certainly remember resenting it when the top-of-the-screen photos were suddenly restricted to a very narrow age group.

That being said, I never read the "My Match" e-mails PoF sends. But I DO often see people in the top-of-the-screen photos, and wouldn't be happy to think that I'd show up even less.

ED BEAR
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Revealing one's income
Posted: 2/6/2010 12:19:11 AM

You know what? I got absolutely zero problem with anybody making money. You ARE running a business. So what? It's a free service......

Ditto!

thanks for the graph and the explanation.
Can we lay this to rest now?
 barefootkitten
Msg: 34
Revealing one's income
Posted: 2/6/2010 12:35:26 AM
Just wondering if the total US internet traffic data takes into account the age of the users. Children and teens are probably the largest group of internet users in the world and they, obviously, are not going to be on dating sites. Just saying....
 Ed Bear
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Revealing one's income
Posted: 2/7/2010 10:06:37 AM
I'm glad to hear from Markus, but I agree that total internet visit share is a pointless statistic if HIS business is still going up... which it is.

With a big pond and lots of fish, it makes a lot more sense to let us choose our own matching criteria. Income's always been here, and I never use it.
ED BEAR
 velopedian
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Revealing one's income
Posted: 2/8/2010 8:38:14 PM
re: msg's 34 &37...

notice it's just the
percentage of total US internet traffic

not total visits, not other countries. just one country, one number is the justification being used for this. there could be all sorts of reasons for that one number to decline... new users in age groups not interested in dating sites, the novelty wearing off or lack of input from customers. how many others?

the stat i'd like to see is the actual increase/decrease of visits to dating sites in general, and pof in specific, over that time period?

on a personal note... i'm open about my drug use(rare as it is), but the vast majority of what the system considers to be "my matches", have a no drugs restriction. why keep sending me the same old matches that i can't contact? for most people, drug use seems to be a much more important criteria than income, why not address that issue instead?

also, if online dating sites(including this one)
aren't working well enough at matching people

why do their ads keep telling us how good they are at what they are doing? with two contradicting statements, which do we believe? what we're told in the forums, or what we're told in the ads?
 Mon Cherie
Msg: 50
Revealing one's income
Posted: 2/9/2010 7:31:42 PM
The topic of this being a civil rights things has come up more than once. Is it really against civil rights to ask for information about income? I don't think so or credit card companies would be out of business.

It's an option to be a member on here. One has a choice to not use a service if they don't want to provide all the requirements to use the service. Just like any other service, if you don't want to fill in all the required blanks on the application you don't have to use the service.

I still don't like that we have to provide income to use the site and update my profile but my options are:

1) provide all required information
2) do not use the service

I don't use other services that require me to provide information on me that I don't like to provide but that's my choice to not use those services.

So what if he is making money off of us. He should be, he's providing a service that we all are using so why shouldn't he make money. Geesh, it's a business and he came up with a great idea for his business. Kudos to him for making money on an obviously popular idea.
 velopedian
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Revealing one's income
Posted: 2/10/2010 12:13:57 AM

treat it as advertisement for the dimmest

and that is how the admin is treating you, me and everyone else here.
 Mon Cherie
Msg: 55
Revealing one's income
Posted: 2/10/2010 10:14:13 AM
velopedian - thanks for the post - it was informative
 unleashed27
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Revealing one's income
Posted: 2/10/2010 12:26:50 PM
As I have said before, I refuse to give out personal information (such as income) and I really have a hard time with the fact that this information is REQUIRED if you want to join or update our profiles. I obliged and put in an income, but I change it on a daily basis, lol.
 Mon Cherie
Msg: 61
Revealing one's income
Posted: 2/11/2010 1:10:30 PM
This is turning into an interesting topic and a good eye opener.

My matches haven't seemed to have changed except it seems everyone lives outside BC so my wage bracket must me abnormal for my city. LOL

I am curious to know how the matching criteria by income will be done. By the way I disagree with any matching based on income but now that this is supposed to be for matching purposes, just what is the criteria being used for said matching?

Will the men and women be matched only by the same income bracket they are in?

Or

Since the men on here keep insisting they don't care what a woman earns will women of all income brackets show up on their matches?

Since men seem to think all women want only men with higher incomes will only men who earn more than them show up on their matches?
 ClassC
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Revealing one's income
Posted: 2/11/2010 11:52:10 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^well spoken....
yup...speak your mind to the Big Fish clearly and eloquently about how
YOU THE CUSTOMER view site effectiveness...
who knows...he MAY come around....
(please, continue to breathe while awaiting this...)
HOW 'BOUT IT MARKUS????
can we have a bit of input?
(mine..."choose not to say" is what I'd like to be able to put in the income question)
I thought it reprehensible of you to hold our profiles hostage until we complied.
REALLY!!!!
they were OUR OWN INFORMATION...
BAD BAD GAME to play...
integrity lacking.
yup...want that game to be changed to entail integrity.
I'm going back to watch Seal and David Foster's program on *9*yummy music!!!!!
next.... (I'm still feeling cranky towards the Big Fish!)
 velopedian
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Revealing one's income
Posted: 2/12/2010 2:47:21 AM

Marcus does not give a rat's azz about any of us. There is only one thing he cares about, MONEY, and how he can make more of it by the information he gleans from us.

to quote edith-ann "and that's the truth... thppppth(or however you spell the sound of a bi-labial fricative)"

those who take the time to think about these things are not the ones filling his bank account with obscene amounts of money. there are plenty of liars and sheeple willingly doing that for him.(and i really don't don't care if you think you don't fall into either of those groups)

TFWWSEB... i see where you're coming from. when it comes to internet dating, the truth can be a very subjective thing. it seems that in many cases the listed age, marital staus and/or number of teeth all seem to be vague guidelines... adding income to the list of falsehoods just dilutes an already watery mix.

if i was to enter an amount, i'd change my addy to lydboutmyincom... but since i'm kinda attached to velo, that's not going happen.
 velopedian
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Revealing one's income
Posted: 2/14/2010 10:23:14 PM
i might not be so against this so-called feature, if all the other so-called features(my matches, chemistry, will respond, even searches) actually worked. or even if any of them worked. due to their restrictions, i'm prevented from contacting most of results.

since his track record already stinks, what should make me think that this further restriction is a benefit to me?
 Ed Bear
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Revealing one's income
Posted: 2/15/2010 1:01:52 PM
"Perhaps the notion that providing a service for free actually costs the owner money hasn't crossed everyone's minds yet. "

Providing this service for free does NOT "cost the owner money." It has made him a millionaire.
ED BEAR
 Ed Bear
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Revealing one's income
Posted: 5/17/2010 1:56:26 AM
It seems that women are now being promised, when viewing their matches, that they will not be exposed to men who make less than them.

Is this what it was all about?
ED BEAR
 Outdoor2
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Revealing one's income
Posted: 6/2/2010 9:58:00 PM
Comparing income with peers causes unhappiness

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/10182993.stm

The more we compare, the less likely we are to be happy, thus we spend more time isolated, with our "clicker" ....
Another part of slowly eroding the power of the human collective....divide and conquer by what ever means necessary.
Governments often espouse a projection that we (gen.pop.) should concentrate on our individual rights, while they, and their corporate friends are essentially operating as a collective.
Can you guess who the losers are?
 Ed Bear
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Revealing one's income
Posted: 6/16/2010 1:51:01 AM
Surprisingly, I received this from someone as a blow-off this week:

"any man who doesnt specifiy his income must not have any money, that is my expeinnce." (sic)

Well, anyone can choose to talk to somone or not for any reason, but this got me thinking... people are in general unwilling to reveal their income, and the richer they are the more so, if we are to believe the shareholders and reporters who try to find out what corporate executives take home. I have NEVER found any survey or signup form ANYWHERE (other than credit cards, of which I have only the Amex I signed up for 30 years ago) that did not make revealing one's income optional.

Nobody I have asked in recent weeks even knew their boy/girlfriend's income beyond guesses based on lifestyle, and in fact nobody knew their parent's income. What are my fellow fishies' experiences? Do you ever discuss these things with anyone, even a committed partner?
ED BEAR

Mind you, a woman who can't spell or use punctuation doesn't impress me much...
 Mon Cherie
Msg: 94
Revealing one's income
Posted: 6/16/2010 8:39:53 AM
My thinking is shifting to thinking it is a good idea to be matched by income but I'm still not sure whether the matching system is right yet because I am willing to date someone who makes less than I do and I think that there should be a button giving me the option of income level (just like I can choose an age level).

I dont know of too many who discuss their income when theyre dating someone. I suppose you could have an idea by the things you do, places you visit, etc... but really even that would be presumptuous.

So, if when dating, you wouldnt discuss income, why would a computer match system want to know?

I think that people might not discuss income when first dating, but would you not discuss income if you are moving into something serious and thinking of cohabitating?

Would you move in with someone before discussing who would pay for what? Would you not decide together who should pay what portion of expenses before moving in together?

From happy couples I know this is often decided based on income levels. Percentage of shared expenses is based on each person's income level so it would be good to know what you are getting into BEFORE you move in rather than making assumptions on who will pay for what. I would expect to pay my part but if the guy is making less than me I would expect to pay more because I would want a certain life style (and visa a versa - if he made more he should pay a higher percentage of the shared expenses) or we would have to downsize our living style to accommodate if we decided to pay 50% each but this would all have to be decided together.

I think the income matching is more for those who are looking for something more than casual dating and more for those who are looking for something more serious.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Revealing one's income
Posted: 6/17/2010 4:02:17 AM
Justaguynamedrob: so...

"I want nothing to do with a waitress.

"By no means am I rich, but I have worked hard for what I have.

"how can I respect you if you have not?"

So you don't think waitresses work hard? Jeez, what do you do that's a tougher grind?
ED BEAR
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Revealing one's income