Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > The Truth. Under What Conditions, Should It Be Expected, If Ever?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kohavah
Msg: 1
The Truth. Under What Conditions, Should It Be Expected, If Ever?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Under what conditions does an individual, owe another individual the truth...I have heard certain individuals say to others, "You at least owe me an explanation, as to why you did or did not do something." Is this a valid statement, and why does anyone owe you an explanation? Under what conditions, does an individual have a moral obligation to not reveal the truth, in fact lie, at least to the best of their ability?
 AppleGeek
Msg: 2
The Truth. Under What Conditions, Should It Be Expected, If Ever?
Posted: 2/3/2010 2:51:04 PM
How about if telling the truth will get someone killed.
 ChefInJeans
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2010 6:43:52 PM
Honestly, I think the truth COULD be taken on an eye for an eye basis. But there's a catch 22 to that, you can't prove the truthfulness of most statements. Even if you could prove it, then you didn't need to ask in the first place.

Truth is something given and taken on faith. You tell the truth in the hopes that those who talk to you will do the same.
 Island home
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/4/2010 12:27:12 AM
Under what conditions does an individual, owe another individual the truth

I dont know that we owe any one any thing
Other that we owe it to ourselves to give what we expect to receive.
This doesnt mean giving the truth to some one when it will cause unjustified harm.
(mmmm I do wonder how that word unjustified may be taken I mean unjustified in the sense there is no valid reason for the harm that may result. I guess that validity will be a personal judgement)

As far as expecting to receive the truth from another I don't believe we should expect it as a matter of course but to use our judgment always as to whether it is likely.
Generally I expect the truth although that expectation is qualified on examination of what is said and until indicated otherwise

edit
When making a judgment as to whether we are receiving the truth. We need to take into account whether we could handle it if our judgment was proven to be wrong
mmmm Isn't that what may make us hang onto untruths?
 ChefInJeans
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2010 12:45:33 PM

Often one can be very funny by just telling the truth. George Carlin.

Carlin has a CD out that contains and interview of himself and he goes into how comedy is actually all about exaggeration, so in fact its not the direct telling of the truth that brings comedy, you have to skew it a little bit ;)
 aremeself
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2010 12:36:51 AM
the truth, always the truth, tempered by your motive.

what ever!
 JP1111
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/5/2010 10:55:15 AM
Truth is never OWED to anyone. A person may want to share the truth with everyone because that is who they are and, others often look for that!

When someone says “you owe me the truth”, that is a clear sign of expectations and expectations can surely be a pit-fall for themselves.

The only moral obligations to not reveal the truth is when it concerns either work (because you simply can’t talk about it) or it concerns something else that they cannot know (a surprise for them).
 Island home
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/6/2010 1:31:05 AM

Just remember that necessary damage to facilitate better living is not doing more harm than good even if the damage takes centuries to get past.

Its one thing to make that choice for yourself
it is a completely different matter to make it for another
 Island home
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/6/2010 1:58:13 AM
Whose fault is it if the lies affect your life in a negative way even though everybody else is happy to believe in them ?

I am thinking in terms of some one else feeding you lies that cause you harm. It doesnt matter if every one else is prepared to sacrifice you.
How can anyone judge what is best for another?

edit especially when it is based on a lie
 Devilsfan58
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2010 5:23:25 AM
I would expect as a patient the doctor would be obligated to let the person know that he/she faces xxx and if we do this yyy will happen. It would allow people to take care of family matters and such in time.

When we provide a service for money. Dear Mr/Mrs Smith we can proceed with your lawsuit but you face a slim/great chance of succeeding.

When you have knowledge that something dire is going to happen to the person and that they need to take precautions to protect themselves.
 red_fir
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/7/2012 8:43:00 PM
While lying is always contemptible no one is under compulsion to tell all they know.
Simply because some one demands answers is no reason to give them, as a matter of fact the mere detail that they are demanding them is adequate reason to misdirect.
A polite question deserves a polite answer but frequently the polite answer is "none of your business".
For those who push past that point and demand answers, misdirection, evasion, or disassociation, are all valid responses, if they are willing to risk the relationship to demand answers its your prerogative to give in to that kind of manipulation or terminate the relationship.
FWIW all of these games are manipulation, ultimatums are one of the most popular tools for manipulators, when I'm given an ultimatum as a matter of policy I explore the consequences rather than the options.
Its a game of emotional blackmail and at the first capitulation you'll be blackmailed for perpetuity.
 red_fir
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/7/2012 10:16:04 PM
In that case he too is a manipulator,
and that alone makes him unworthy of devotion.
Although many people are driven to bizarre action by the scars of their past.........

IMO
Relationship (or even love) is about building up and repairing the breaches in confidence in that consociation , if power is held over anyone in the alliance than it rapidly changes from caring to coercion.
 red_fir
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/8/2012 5:58:18 AM
Your right to know is never abridged by some one else's privacy.
It just has the potential for unforeseen consequences.

You must pursue your right to know to YOUR satisfaction, if possible you need to satisfy your self BEFORE any commitments are made.

Without faith it may be impossible to please God, but every human is fallible, a demand for perfect unquestioning faith from another is a sure sign of a control freak.
Balance must be found though because the need to be constantly reassured is just as wearing.
Naturally, ignoring red flags is an unwise path to disaster.

Thats why early commitment is just nonsense, the reason for courtship is to discover the quality's you each possess. The net wisdom that anyone is "owed" anything by the first third or thousandth date is foolish. You need to court long enough to see firsthand the quality of people in stressful situations, and to get people OFF their best behavior and down to the real them.
If you don't like what you find, start fresh, to make commitments to an unworthy person is just cruel (and self destructive).

Your self is a valuable commodity like every other commodity if priced too high no one will invest, if priced too low no one will value you.

As for me I trust a proven person implicitly without reservation of any kind........but my proof standards are very high.
Foremost qualities I seek are tirelessness, patience, grace under pressure, and faithfulness, in every exacting standard of the word.
 red_fir
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/8/2012 1:31:40 PM
For the preservation of those you are responsible for, there is no limit. IMO
For the preservation of yourself as far as your conscience dictates.

As I said before your RIGHT to know is in no way limited by another's right to privacy.
But their right to not communicate is not abridged by your need to know.

But........ (off the cuff and between me and the fencepost,) to withhold such info seems selfish and foolish and I would probably pursue my options.
Preserving the dignity/rights of a promise breaker seems like a secondary goal.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > The Truth. Under What Conditions, Should It Be Expected, If Ever?