Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Something is wrong      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Unikshik
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Something is wrongPage 1 of 1    
I was wondering if someone could please help me. My friends send me video clips on e-mails and when I open and download them all I get is a green box!!!. I can hear the video clip , the sound is there, but instead of the movie it's a green box. Is there something wrong with my computer??? Maybe the settings are wrong... I have no idea. Your help is appreciated!!!.
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Something is wrong
Posted: 2/3/2010 3:41:51 PM
You probably don't have the necessary codecs installed on your PC.

What's the extension on the filename?
 subtlecaffeine
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Something is wrong
Posted: 2/3/2010 4:52:53 PM
What program are you using to play them? Any recent program will give you a codec error and not a green box.

The green box is there with OLD software when a codec is missing...but if it's a recent computer it could mean there's a problem with the video card.....I had an issue with my last video card going "green" during video playback after a minute or two....it wasn't a codec issue but just a bad video card.
 Unikshik
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Something is wrong
Posted: 2/3/2010 8:26:59 PM
Extension???... I am really not a computer savy person. I need instructions in black and white... otherwise it is above my head.
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Something is wrong
Posted: 2/3/2010 8:55:40 PM
Files are stored on your hard drive with a filename and an extension separated by a period. For instance, 'myfile.txt'. The '.txt' tells you the file is a text file.

Did they send you the video clip as an attachment that you have to save to your local hard drive before you can play it? If so, find the file on your hard drive, select it, right click, select 'Properties'. The window that pops up will tell you what extension the file has. For example, one common video file has an extension of '.avi'. You need to know what the extension is to figure out how to play it.

Or did they send you a link to click on, for instance, a youtube link? Youtube videos require Adobe Macromedia Flash player to be installed on your PC.
 Unikshik
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Something is wrong
Posted: 2/6/2010 8:36:18 PM
The movies on Youtube are fine. The movie clips are the ones that I am having trouble with. WMV clips...the sound is there but the box is green and it will not let me see the video.
 Unikshik
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Something is wrong
Posted: 2/6/2010 8:38:00 PM
When I get an e-mail that has a movie, I just click on download. It is suppose to show me the movie clip in a small box.
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Something is wrong
Posted: 2/6/2010 9:11:53 PM
WMV codecs are automatically downloaded by Windows Media Player so your problem might be that you need to update your video card drivers. Go to the website for the manufacturer of your PC to get the updated drivers.
 godfearing05
Msg: 10
Something is wrong
Posted: 2/10/2010 6:10:24 PM
You can go to download.com and down load the "KMPlayer" which can handle just about any video format that you can run into unless it's a power point program.
 TheKybrdcowboy
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Something is wrong
Posted: 2/10/2010 8:30:47 PM
What version of windows are you using?
It sounds like your version of Windows Media player might need updating.
I agree with the VLC suggestion, it is quite flexible and can play a variety of formats.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Something is wrong