Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > cottage cheese vs ricotta      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 curlygrl
Msg: 2
cottage cheese vs ricottaPage 1 of 1    
If I am not mistaken the curds in cheese are used to make cottage
cheese and the Whey is used to make ricotta.

They have different textures. Ricotta is more dense than cottage
cheese.

There is extra liquid in cottage cheese so your recipes will be more
watery if you use it. Ricotta is grainer.

You can interchange them as they are both soft cheeses but you may
want to drain the cottage cheese first before using it in recipes that
call for ricotta like lasagna.

Cottage cheese is better for recipes that call for extra moisture like
dips.

You can get ricotta fat free now too. So, use the ricotta if a recipe calls
for it.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 3
cottage cheese vs ricotta
Posted: 2/3/2010 8:33:06 PM
ricotta cheese is usually not too "curd-y", sometimes it's even creamy. Cottage cheese is always curd, and can be purchased dry.
 arwen52
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2010 10:40:12 PM
Yes, they are distinctly different in texture and taste.

Here's an answer for you.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070806111608AATtSJn

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
Cottage cheese is a cheese curd product with a mild flavor. It is drained, but not pressed so some whey remains. The curd is usually washed to remove acidity giving sweet curd cheese. It is not aged or colored. Different styles of cottage cheese are made from milks with different fat levels and in small curd or large curd preparations. Cottage cheese which is pressed becomes hoop cheese, farmer cheese, pot cheese or queso blanco.

**************************************…
Ricotta is an Italian whey cheese, meaning a product made from whey—a by-product of milk cheese making—rather than whole milk. Other whey cheeses include Gjetost cheese.

In its basic form, ricotta is fresh, creamy, slightly sweet and low-fat (typically around 5% fat), with a finely grained texture and a pure white color. In this form, it is somewhat similar in texture to some cottage cheese variants, though considerably lighter. Like many fresh cheeses, it is highly perishable. Ricotta comes in other forms as well, see variants below. The name "ricotta" means "cooked again" ("re-cooked") in Italian, referring to the second processing of the liquid done to produce the cheese.
 Hozo
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2010 4:54:39 PM
I regularly use fat free cottage cheese instead of ricotta when making lasagna. Yes, it is waterier than ricotta, & has a milkier taste. I mix the cottage cheese in a bowl & add finely grated romano & parmasean cheese, bread crumbs, parsley flakes, & whatever dry stuff I feel like tossing into the mix. It helps absorb the extra liquid, making it firmer. I also add 2 eggs to the mix, which further adds firmness while baking it.
 bumponnalog
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2010 4:24:11 PM
Living on a single mother's budget back in the day, I've substituted cottage cheese for ricotta. I just plopped it into a collander to strain off the excess liquid, added a little salt and and egg (or Egg Beater). Helps if you love italian and have to watch your $.
 texasbaby
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2010 12:05:57 PM
I've used cottage cheese in place of ricotta, but don't like the texture of the curds. So, a quick whiz in the food processor, after draining the liquid, takes care of that issue for me.
 Rythmn
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2010 3:19:57 PM
there is cottage cheese, farmer cheese and ricotta! but, recently found out there are two kinds of ricotta. ny ricotta is much better in sicilian cheescake. my neighbor orders it from a restaurant supply house, thank goodness. thick and not too sweet. it's been a year since i made it. think i'll ask her to get some.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > cottage cheese vs ricotta