Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Is honesty really the best policy ?.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 daynadaze
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Is honesty really the best policy ?.Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Life is more complicated than that. Are you always honest or do you blurt out crap that is better left unsaid? Are you honest with yourself so treat others with the same honestly or do you see is as a way to vent on people and get your kicks in? Just saying honestly is the best policy is leaving out a whole lot of info.
 arwen52
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Is honesty really the best policy ?.
Posted: 2/5/2010 6:04:06 PM
I'm a terrible liar. I've been told I'm most obvious when I'm trying to hide something. It would be pointless for me to lie. Besides, then I'd have to keep track of the lies and I have a hard enough time remembering the things that really did happen. So, for me honesty truly is the best policy. It isn't always easy, but in the end it's easier than the alternative and I can fall asleep with a clean conscience at night.
 EvilLolli
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2010 10:28:52 PM
I think that question might be better considered from a personal level.

Is honesty the best policy---for YOU(personally)?

Just because being dishonest works for some, does nto mean it is an instant key to success. Ever notice they all seem to get caught in the end and then try to "come clean"? Many a big deal "mover and shaker" has had their career/success/fortune brought low when the truth comes out. Maybe they would have been less successful in a sense if they had been honest all along, but they also had much more to lose by being dishonest.

At this point if some one asks me for honesty, and I don't think they can handle my response, my HONEST answer is "You don't really want MY answer to that." I am still being honest, but I am not playing a game of tact, sugar-coating or misunderstanding. Most dishonesty is a game that is played for popularity, success, etc. I prefer scrabble.
 cotter
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2010 10:38:22 PM
^^^Eldrida makes a lot of sense with her post.

As for in here ... I'd say that honest is really the best policy ... no matter how much money you have or no matter how important or popular you think you may be.

No one wants an "age liar", no one wants a "weight liar", no one wants a "height liar ... give me a few minutes ... I might be able to come up with more ...

Rythmn
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2010 12:28:08 PM
it may appear not to be in the short run, but strategically it has always worked for me. to succeed you need more than just honesty. power and money are not always measures of success. i've worked amongst the rich and famous on my boards, and i am very aware, that their problems are not much different than anyone else's. in many ways, they are quite the mess.

if you have goals and are willing to do the work, part of what you will need is leadership. honesty will attract you successful supporters. on the other hand, there is the theory of cognitive dissonance. many people believe their own lies. after they make a decision, they only remember the pros of that decision. i try to always remember the pros and the cons, so i can continue to monitor/tweak myself and my actions. to me, that is the most important. being honest with myself!
 earthlingsRevenge
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/6/2010 5:55:46 PM
Honesty is NOT the best policy if

1) You are work for a Media.
2) You work for the government.
2) You are a person with bleeding heart.
3) You worry too much about offending anyone.
4) You amount to almost nothing, only way you can go ahead are Lies.
5) You are so dumb, you can't correct your own mistakes.
6) You are afraid of an honest answer to the question "do you know how fast you were going?"
7) You are the only one who speaks the truth among dozens of people, the rest lie, cheat, are mean. Oops, did I just reveal my work environment?

Honesty is the BEST policy where everyone is honest.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2010 3:12:32 PM

Is honesty the best policy?

I was taught that. Its easier to remember the truth in the morning.
 Padawan61
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2010 12:55:55 AM
No ... it's not always the best policy. It depends on the information you're about to volunteer. Sometimes that honesty could come back and bite you in the ass. That being the case ... it's better to lie. Especially if withholding the truth has no detriment ... i.e. the lie would never be discovered. I learned that the hard way from past experience.
 Super_Eve
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/8/2010 1:51:22 PM

This statement is a lie.

This will be the truest statement, uttered in this thread.

I was taught that. Its easier to remember the truth in the morning.

This is the funniest statement, uttered in this thread.

I tend to opine honestly, with a bit of sugar. I have a good amount of empathy, and inwardly cringe, at the look of hurt on a person's face, when I am tactless. It is easier, to be more blunt over the internet, though...

I think that there is enough harshness in the world, without me having to add to it...

So is honesty the best policy? I think so. But I agree with Eldrida, delivery is everything.

And yes, I see your point, BDJ, but since when did, "Do I look fat in this?", which is an illogical question to begin with, since for the most part, it is subjective, (as in YMMV), beg a logical answer?
 cookie22222
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2010 6:18:01 AM
I don't know - the grain of truth can be there, without it becoming a brutally honest clubbing over the head....

I don't think lying is such a great idea. I also don't see the need to be obnoxiously honest. I think it depends on the context, the situation, the severity of the situation, how well you know someone, etc.

My very close friends will often come to me with a problem and ask my opinion....and quite often I will say - do you REALLY want to know what I think? Sometimes they will say yes (and when I'm done there will be a long silence followed by - wow)...sometimes they tell me to forget it.

That's very different than say, a work situation, or a case where you barely know someone.
 Strings6
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2010 4:24:26 PM
Lies beget lies..most people wouldn't have to lie so much if they told less lies that they had to cover up with more lies.
 Rythmn
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2010 1:38:01 AM
sounds like some are reading "brutal" honesty into the question here. even if a close ended question as differentiated above, you still could expand upon it with your own initiative. if asked if you like the dress, you don't HAVE to respond yes or no. you can say i like the other one better on you. it is more flattering. as a result of that sort of diplomacy from a male friend of mine, i have this damn new hat now and will be taking it to my clothes swap meetup "unworn". i wasn't sure if it looked good. now, if i thought it did and he didn't, that would have been another story. so, in this instance, i appreciated the honest reponse. if i disgreed, my world would not have fallen apart.
 platypus_man
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2010 7:02:55 AM
I think a lot of people have different definitions of what honesty is, and that's where the problems come in. Some people believe in 'white lies', which in their opinion, are perfectly alright. But who gets to decide on what is a white lie? And who gets to decide when a 'lie of omission' is dishonest or just not telling another person every, single detail of your life? There were certainly a lot of things that my ex wife left out of telling me, but it was what I left out of telling her that she got to decide was the important item. My opinion, believe what you see. People cannot change what they've done or experienced. But the way they act, and how they treat people in their day to day lives will tell you all you need to know. Just.....watch and listen carefully. If something seems fishy, then it probably is, and deserves an explanation. But don't jump to conclusions without all the facts available.
 earthlingsRevenge
Msg: 37
Posted: 2/10/2010 7:15:36 PM
Telling lies
is a
Genetic Disorder.

Some day we all will talk like Mr . Spock.
 *buzz*
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2010 12:06:23 PM

But the way they act, and how they treat people in their day to day lives will tell you all you need to know. Just.....watch and listen carefully.

Yes, it is for me. I go to bed with clear conscience knowing that I handled situation to my best abilities, knowledge and skills. Nothing beats goodnight sleep. Did I mention afternoon siesta?

As for politicians, celebrities, Jackpot/overnight new millionnaires ... their conscience I leave to them.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Is honesty really the best policy ?.