Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How would you celebrate one year of dating?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 4
How would you celebrate one year of dating?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
If the anniversary is about you, then a fancy candlelight dinner where you make goo goo eyes at each other and feed each other the creme brulee is in order.

If the anniversary is about him, a simple blow job will do.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 5
How would you celebrate one year of dating?
Posted: 2/5/2010 9:08:33 PM
My fella and I just celebrated two years since we "met." (First email on PoF, lol!) October 5. We *both* celebrated, and I think we always will. There may be other things to celebrate later, but this one I think will always stand.

Card, champagne, dinner, dancing, a new flavor of chokl't rub. . . . whatever you want. Enjoy!

ForumFilly
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/5/2010 9:23:25 PM
Glad you reposted this thread, OP.

Celebrating the anniversary of your first date is a lovely idea. I remind my guy every month on the 14th that it's be _____ months since he first wrote to me on POF. April 14th will be our one year anniversary of that fateful day. And hopefully, we'll be together to celebrate. If not, we will both celebrate separately this year and look forward to all the years we'll have together to celebrate that wonderful day.

You are NOT out of your mind and don't let anyone tell you differently. It's keeping these occasions special and not taking each other for granted that will keep the romance alive.

Perhaps returning to where you had your first date would be appropriate. If it was just a quick meet and greet, then plan something more romantic for the two of you. Just let him know that the anniversary of your first date means something special in your eyes. He'll appreciate the sentiment too. Be sure to mention that it is coming up and what the date is so he can prepare for the occasion also. Some men are not very good at remembering dates.
 ColonelIngus
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2010 9:48:29 PM

Paper is the traditional one year anniversary gift....

True, but that's for people who are married.

They're just dating. So what's below paper on the gift scale? Used gum? A Snuggie or a Slap Chop (as seen on TV)?

Am I out of my mind to feel this way? Men are you rolling your eyes and shaking your heads?

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2010 10:23:21 PM

Am I out of my mind to feel this way? Men are you rolling your eyes and shaking your heads?

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!
Maybe I have too much testosterone.. I'll add a ding or two to that Ding! Ding! Dingery!..

Steak and a .... ... ?
 Frybreadpower
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/5/2010 11:24:03 PM
I'm excited for you, Desire! Here are some ideas for you:

1) Book a room for two at hotel with a jacuzi. (I only thought of this, because I work at a hotel with jacuzi's... LOL)

2) Go to a supermarket and ride around on motorized shopping cart. Buy him his favorite food (or dessert), and when you give it to him, tell him the story about how you rode around on that electric shopping cart while you were at the market. Oh the things we do for stories!

3) Give him some sexy photos of yourself.

4) Buy him a case of Guiness if he drinks.

Good luck!

-Daniel
 chameleonf
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/6/2010 8:58:32 AM
A snow storm and the guy travelling a long distance to get there?? Twould be a no brainer for me. The last form of celebrating I'd be thinking of would be to go out to do any of the "traditional" dinner type things (boring). The celebrations would totally be an indoor sporting event with just the two of you being the players. If the guy can't remember that the restaurant and the table you sat at were where you had your first date - trust me, if he's like most healthy men, if you're inventive and stay in to celebrate, he'll remember this first year celebration for years to come and refer to it often.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2010 9:14:00 AM
OP, going back to the restaurant I think would be a good way to celebrate it and as he seems to appreciate your efforts, having a nice dinner out that remembers your first meeting, why would he not like it? Good food, good company.

I think it's kind of cute that you still seem dreamy about this guy.

I do think that after all this time, you need to breath, and stop wondering whether you are for lack of a better way to put it, behaving appropriately for the stage of relationship that you are in.

And try to appreciate (not that you don't) the way he shows you he cares, that is romantic in its own way. He doesn't remark about your romantic gestures, make sure you fuss when he does the man things to care for you.
Posted: 2/6/2010 9:32:27 AM
I just celebrated 2 yrs of NOT dating. Think I'm going to throw myself a party! Woohoo!
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2010 9:55:23 AM
No body knows your man like you do! However: since you're jazzin for some ideas..
You say he's a sports fanatic.. Why don't you spring for a a couple of tickets to his favorite sport followed by your usual .. uhm .. "steak' .. ..
Posted: 2/6/2010 10:08:36 AM

What a coinkydink! Some of the gals on this site have been celebrating your two year break, too!! Hahaha!

I'm totally cool with that. I'd be the first to agree I wasn't in a position to date. Hence the break. Too many desperate, unhealthy people in the dating pond nowadays looking for others to save them from themselves. I'm not saying all, but these forums sure give you a wake up call to what's out there.
 ColonelIngus
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2010 10:32:05 AM

Ask him to buy you some Dolce and Gabbana or Louis Vitton.

This is a surefire way to lose the guy for good.

He'll wander out into the world wondering what the heck those are and where they can be found, and will never make it back. If he does manage to find them, some other woman will scoop him up before he's left the mall.
 farscapeprincess
Msg: 34
Posted: 2/6/2010 11:31:12 AM
You're not too old to celebrate a one year anniversary. In this day and age, it is a cause to celebrate! I hope I have that chance to mark that moment, too, one day. I'm happy that you have found someone that is amazing and wish you both well wishes!

Oh, chocolate covered strawberries sound good. How about a bath for two to round things out...
 aremeself
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2010 3:25:40 PM
a few women on here actually understand men.
yes, they are that simple, that's good, isn't it?

women don't even know what women want, do they?
AND, why would you not do on any day what you would do on anniversaries and valentines day? unless it's a chore, of course.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/6/2010 8:42:34 PM
!!!!!

I'd be more than sentimental OP. Geez, I can't seem to meet someone and make it to date three. What would I do? Hmmm ~ I think I'd just ask him what he'd like to do and make the appropriate plans. Do you guys like to go to the spa? If so, do a couple's spa day then dinner. If you are more like me (and I didn't read the entire thread, so I'm clueless on that note!) I'd want to do an amusement park, a circus, a day trip somewhere unknown to us both, maybe something like sky-diving or one of those really cool luge-simulator thingies. Then of course, finish with the romantic side of the day/night. No matter what you do, it doesn't really matter as long as you do it together.
 Happily Ever...maybe
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2010 9:05:31 AM
My now ex and I celebrated our one year anniversary of dating by getting married in 02. It seemed romantic at the time, getting married one year to the day, and it was romantic for a while. Not to be a bummer, but it ended in divorce in 05. Right gesture perhaps, but wasted on the wrong woman.
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2010 10:10:36 AM

As for bj's... that would not be considered anything extra in our relationship.
Where did you read that other's thought they did represent something extra?I don't think anyone has said that it WOULD be something extra !in their's either!!
I don't consider a bj (or any kind of sex) to be a present
Again.. no one said they considered sex (in any form) to be a "present" .. Some just don't need or expect or want anything of a materialistic nature in order to feel appreciated. The sheer act of giving ;0) without expecting anything in return is present enough for them !!

I'm going out on a limb here.. but I assume that not too many men pay a lot of attention to the anniversary of their first date.. It may be a good idea to not make your plans a surprise.. You may dissappoint yourself by going all out and he not even remember what the occassion is.

Personally I appreciate spontaneous just-because-things far more romantic than anything that could be planned just because it's a specific date.. I could be a rarity in that preference though.
 bikeman1467
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2010 11:07:22 AM

Get a good hotel room in your home town for the weekend. Buy some cheap candles and put them in your hotel room. Bring a few bottles of wine. Get a cab to take you to a fine restaurant if the restaurant in your hotel isn't up to snuff. Enjoy the weekend and your intimacy. Have fun!
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 54
Posted: 2/9/2010 9:43:25 PM

Between the winter storm coming through the midwest, and the SuperBowl any celebration plans got postponed to next weekend. I knew when the weather hit on Friday night that things were going to be put on hold.

Did he at least get the blow job? It's a weather-proof gift!
 aremeself
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2010 10:49:59 PM
there are casanovas around that really have that woman whooing thing down to a T, you know.
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2010 11:20:43 PM

He did renew his "relationship contract" and sign on for another year though.

Congrats on making it to the one year mark. I wish you many more happy years together. I'm getting close to that myself and not sure if he will want to celebrate but he does still remember the date. It looks like yours is also a LDR which makes things even more difficult. I understand being in that situation myself. Don't listen to all the negative people on here just continue with what your doing. It's obviously working.
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2010 6:31:32 AM
LOL! Well, my vote would be for renting a nice cabin for the weekend.....with a hot tub!!! Stock the fridge with all your (both of you) favorites...so that you don't have to go out for anything!
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2010 7:43:47 AM
Sounds as though this guy is a bit like me, in that he likes the stuff you do, but is clueless about thinking it up. I'm also like the guy who posted that he DOES remember all the moments of progress in the relationship, but never thinks to write down the date and time, so has no idea when to celebrate them.
I am a guy who HATES what I see as outsider, manufactured celebrations like Valentines day, but I DO like to celebrate our good times together. I like celebrating our OWN stuff, like what you propose to celebrate here. The only caution I'd give you is, not to get upset if he can't remember when things happened. There's nothing more painful to me in such situations, than having them blow up in my face because I don't show enough appreciation in the right way to make my S.O. feel that I DO care.
My own idea of how to celebrate such, would be some sort of re-enactment, but that's probably because I'm an historian.
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2010 9:08:45 AM
LOL!!! That sounds about right IgorF!!! Many years ago however, I came up with a unique way of solving the problem! It was mine and my husbands 2nd Valentine's Day....and the previous year, he'd gotten me some Gawd Aweful thing....I can't remember what it was..but it was ...beyond description. LOL! So, when I was selecting his gift (some accessory for his motorcycle)...I bought MYSELF...the little silver Hershey's Kiss necklace that I wanted. I wrapped them both and said....."This is for YOU.....and this is for you to give to ME!" LOL!

He was so relieved that he'd gotten me something that I actually liked, that I carried it over into Christmas and Birthdays! LOL! I'd buy myself some piece of lingerie and put HIS name on it.....saying that he knew I didn't wear that stuff for ME! We had a lot of fun with it....LOL especially when he'd say....you know...that "THING" I got for US!
 Rythmn
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2010 12:05:27 AM
why too old? of course you should celebrate. do what is of special meaning to both of you. that is a personal choice. as to renewing for another year, that is a good concept. but i think people should be checking in with each other weekly or at least monthly to share what they are feeling or thinking. too much is often "assumed" and then it is too late.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How would you celebrate one year of dating?