Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > when to toss the condiments?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 raxarsr
Msg: 2
view profile
History
when to toss the condiments?Page 1 of 1    
the pickled veggies should be fine.......taste them....if the taste is off.toss em.....i had some pickles i found deep in the fridge.well over a year old......they were fine
 Belle Requin
Msg: 3
when to toss the condiments?
Posted: 2/8/2010 3:05:19 PM
I've heard they only last 6 months. I don't really buy them, but rather make my own now...
 arwen52
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2010 5:31:57 PM
Most of them have a significant amount of salt, sugar, or vinegar, all of which discourage the growth of harmful bacteria. I toss them if they have mold on them. Lots of them keep for a very long time. And I do mean a *very* long time.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2010 1:41:34 PM
I agree with Arwen52 ... mold is about my only criteria!!! or a "funny" smell!!!

I have this thing about buying some ingredient, using a tablespoon out of the pint ... and KEEPING the jar in the frig forever ...

useless stuff, wasting electricity to keep it cold ... and I should just go thru and toss most of it ...

but the minute I do, I'll need it again!

story of my life ... and my frig's life!

P.S. I ALWAYS toss those little plastic single serving containers of condiments that come with take-out food immediately ... used to keep 'em ... but ... one day ... the ketchup in one of those little packages was GREEN ... vision of me running screaming!
 daynadaze
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2010 11:18:19 PM
Those dates that tell you when they expire or when they should be sold before...they mean nothing, there's no regulation, they can put pretty much anything they want. If it smells funny or tastes bad or blah or have mold, toss them out. If they change color or the container bulges, toss them out. Otherwise you should be fine.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2010 12:23:01 AM
we're a bunch of very thrifty folks based on the above comments we've made!!!

I also believe those "expiration dates" are relatively arbitrary and only indicate a date by which the original company just wants us to toss the first container and buy another one!
 TooShadows
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2010 6:17:31 AM
Easiest is to smell them. I've always found that mayo is the 1st to go,along with creamy salad dressings. Ketchup,mustard and barbecue sauce will last almost forever. I buy mustard by the gallon at Cost-Co,and the last purchase was 3 years ago. With a 5 year old in the house ketchup doesn't stay around long. I've got at least one bottle of spicy barbecue sauce that's still good after 4 years. Just see if they smell off and of course watch for mold.
 texasbaby
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2010 7:11:07 AM
Pickles seem to also have an endless life span. Olives,, not so much, I toss them after a while, so try to buy only small jars, no one except me likes them anyway.
I also buy ketchup and mustard in gallon containers. They take up space, but, I have a second frig in my laundry room, so I have the extra space.
Mayo will get thrown out at my house when it doesn't pass the smell test, but it's usually a jar that gets hidden behind something else, like the gallon of ketchup.
tb
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2010 9:34:48 PM
I love the Sushi soy sauce...it's great to marinade meats with......but..but..buttttttttt... as thrifty as I am I no longer keep those lil packets of ketchup and stuff..it just piles up and fills up so much space... and heck if I know how long they will keep.

I actually don't accept more condiments than I need or just decline the condiments....way too wasteful.

The only thing worse than dying single and a Cat Lady would be dying Single and having drawers full of years of collected condiments....
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > when to toss the condiments?