Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Knowledge vs Wisdom      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ~DREAMS~
Msg: 1
Knowledge vs WisdomPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I have read a few posts that just barely touched on the subject but seemed incomplete.

The question is..... "What is the difference between knowledge and wisdom"?

From my perspective i see wisdom as learned feeling and knowledge as emotionless storage of information.

You get wisdom by living something whereas you get knowledge by reading about someone else living something.

Knowledge is imparted to another whereas wisdom is learned through first hand experiance.

So which is more powerful?

Wisdom.... It requires wisdom to be able to convert that wisdom into knowledge by writing about it. The trouble with that though is due to the inability to write out emotions, it is impossible to convert wisdom to wisdom. You can only pass on knowledge.

I see many parents try to pass on wisdom to their children and it is just not possible. We as people have the ability to pass on the knowledge about what we have learned but there is always gaps within it. Think about any times you have written anything in life be it a book or creative story or even your own autobiography. Did you include everything you felt during those times as well? Or did it just contain the information about what you went through?

Only with wisdom can a person be able to instill emotional connections within the written word. I have read a fair amount of things about a myriad of subject in my 37 years of life. It is very easy to tell whom has wisdom and whom simply has knowledge when you read their text.

Knowledge does not grant the ability to KNOW anything. It is missleading by having know in the word. If you have read about something you do not KNOW it. You only have the start of the quest to recieve the wisdom about it.

I spent some time at university in an attempt to learn some knowledge from someone with wisdom but all i managed to find were instructors that were imparting knowledge from knowledge. I found just one of my instructors that seemed to explain things from the perspective of actully having lived what he was trying to teach. The rest just seemed to be regurgitating the same stuff that could be found within the books. I could go to the library or bookstore myself to learn a topic and save myself the tuition fees.

The schools seem to select staff members that have achived PhD's in "Knowledge" of the subjects but fail to hold an alure to those with "wisdom" to impart.

A person going from highschool to university and then grad school continuing the loop back around to becoming university proffessors did not have any wisdom attained in my opinion. They went from knowledge to knowledge to knowledge then back around to imparting knowledge.

Cold, Calculated, Methodical approch to everything seems to be the result. They planned out their life and what they wanted. That was their choice in life to make but they missed the chance of being able to live during that time. I have learned more living things than i ever could have reading a book about them or even several books.

If book learning is the knowledge possessed then the only wisdom you have is the minute amount the writter of that knowledge decides to include within his/her attempt to pass on something that they have learned.

Basically put.... You can not teach someone something that they do not wish to learn.

Just my thoughts and opinions
 Island home
Msg: 2
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 2/8/2010 10:33:32 PM
Knowledge is knowledge
Wisdom is knowing the consequence of said knowledge

edit
Knowledge can be by degrees
We may think we have knowledge
How ever experience can expand that knowledge
 impohell
Msg: 3
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 2/9/2010 9:26:55 AM
Wisdom is the good use of knowledge.

See, you got your knowledge, which is like having a hammer, and then you got your wisdom, which is the skill of using that hammer in ways that do not result in hitting your thumb with it, or your head, or the dog.
 VoidDancer
Msg: 4
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 2/9/2010 9:44:59 AM
I don’t know, but, it would seem to me that one has to get to know the true self (soul).

In this way one has to gain the knowledge of the Ancient and Modern wise men and women, like Sophia (Lady Wisdom).

It is not just talking about wisdom, it is applying the philosophy to daily living and seeking illumination/enlightenment from the Divine Lights. To lift oneself up through actions, thoughts and feelings from worldly sense experience to realize an experiential participation in the spiritual realm.

We live in a twilight zone. The real world gives true knowing and when applied creates wisdom in action in the twilight zone. Plato said; " to know oneself is Wisdom and the highest virtue of the soul." ... This has to become a philosophy that is lived. Wisdom is a higher state of discernment as compared to intellectual knowledge.

Love and Peace
 Uncle Fist
Msg: 5
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 2/9/2010 7:00:18 PM

i think knowlegde is learned information about whatever subject .

Wisdom is like an understanding of how to juggle knowledge and reach the right outcome for the situation in which many subjects needed to be questioned , to maybe go in the right direction .

That's a pretty good description. I agree.
 FyrKrakn
Msg: 6
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 3/5/2010 2:38:08 AM
Knowledge is information that is acquired and accessible and should be measurable. Wisdom is evidenced by how that said knowledge is applied to life.
 Living Dharma
Msg: 7
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 3/5/2010 9:24:01 AM

The question is..... "What is the difference between knowledge and wisdom"?

Knowledge is second hand experience, whether that experience is passed on from the experiencer directly through the spoken word or written in a book. The likelihood of that message becoming distorted grows if the knowledge does not come from the experiencer directly, but rather from another person who acquired that knowledge without the experience.

Wisdom is the clarity and knowing that comes from having an experience first hand. There is no doubt regarding a first hand experience.

An example would be a person who reads all about sugar has gained much knowledge about sugar and can pass that along to another person to explain what sugar is. The difficulty with knowledge from my experience is that it leads to more questions than answers.

If you really want to "know" sugar, simply taste it.

Your tasting it gives you wisdom regarding the experience of sugar. If you choose, you can pass along the knowledge of your experience. But is it not better if someone comes to you to learn about sugar simply to guide them to experience sugar for themselves? Then they too will know sugar :)
 rockondon
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 3/5/2010 10:32:02 AM
Knowledge is the accumulation of information.
Wisdom is how that knowledge is applied.
/my opinion.
 LeCutter
Msg: 9
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 3/5/2010 3:40:49 PM
I am wise enough to know that wisdom of some things is more important than the knowing of many things.
 susxo
Msg: 10
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 3/10/2010 8:06:08 PM
Knowledge is just information, a massive amount of stored up information that we just know... whereas wisdom, is not only knowledge and information, but insight, sense, and full understanding. In the end, wisdom just tops everything; it wins.
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/7/2012 9:43:23 AM
^^^^Mr. Happy, don't flatter yourself thinking that you are worthy of battle with any educated business men three times your age...on this site or any other. You are an offence....not a battle.....sort of like a drunk pedestrian staggering around in the traffic.

Revealing that you are a drop out, unemployed pot head of 23 should be a slight clue that it might not be wise to challenge others far above this level of accomplishment.....but not you! Not only do you come charging in on a cripple horse with a rubber sword, but you actually cast the first stone. Now, is that your idea of WISDOM.

You can't spell, you can't write well, you are contantly twisting the meaning of words to suit yourself, you are obviously stoned most of the time you are writing, and the only contibution you make is commenting on the thoughts of others. You are constantly apologizing for you lack of knowledge and always making excuses. Every sentence you type, ends with IMO. Well Son, guess what, knowledge is facts....not opinions.....even a three year old has an opinion. Knowledge precedes wisdom!
YOU CAN HAVE KNOWLEDGE WITHOUT WISDOM, BUT YOU CANNOT HAVE WISDOM WITHOUT KNOWLEDGE. You, my young friend, are sorely lacking in knowledge, and consequently, wisdom.

The most offensive thing to me about your posting, is your indirect promotion of drug use. It's like you are proud of it, and think everyone else is missing out. Other young people read these threads, and I don't like your message. Asking people to get high with you on a forum is about as juvenile as anything I've seen. Anyone that is proud to be compaired to "Timothy Leary" is a total idiot to admit such a thing in public. He was responsible for more teenage overdose deaths than anyone that ever lived. Many of us here have kids your age and older, and I wouldn't let mine get near your kind of thinking, if I could help it. I think if you were as Brilliant and wise as you claim to be.....you would have figured this much out by now.

You have a lot of growing up to do, writing Harry Potter stories on adult forums is clue enough. Exbox is still a major influence in your life, so maybe you are on the wrong forums. Maybe your juvenile rhetoric would impress a younger crowd. To me, you are just a kid with distorted views, a big mouth and a poor message, smothered with sweet sauce.

In another thread, you are pleading for people to help you become wiser. Her is my contribution to that request.

The next time you get a job, take your dope and Xbox money and put it in a savings account, so you don't wind up back at mums house like a little boy. You want to be respected as man?.....grow up and be one. When I was your age, I owned a business, my own home, a nice boat, and a paid off vehicle to pull it with, and a savings account that I could have lived on for a year......and we were in a recession, and an energy crisis. Go to school at night after work.....I did it for five years.

If I'm harsh on you, it's because somebody needs to be, kindness obviously hasn't made you evaluate your position. I would hate for you to have spent so much time on these forums and got nothing for it. Now that you have some knowledge about how to spend your time and money, let's see if you can apply it and turn it into some wisdom.

Wisdom is, as wisdom does...just as stupid is, as stupid does....Forest Gump might even agree!
 Enki_Ea
Msg: 12
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/7/2012 12:37:30 PM
Wisdom is the proper application and analysis of Knowledge. You eat the Apple with your mouth and know it is sweet and juicy. You digest the Apple and gain from it's nutritional value throughout your body.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 13
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/7/2012 1:12:41 PM

^^^^Mr. Happy, don't flatter yourself thinking that you are worthy of battle with any educated business men three times your age...on this site or any other.

Even taking Mr. Happy out of the equation, I agree with this.

I have been to school several times in my life, and each time, I did better academically. This wasn't because I gained more raw intelligence as I aged, but because I had more life experience. I also see this in my students: the older students often do better than than the younger ones because they have been out in the world and know the consequences of failing.

Mark Twain said:
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.

There are quite a few clueless old people in the world and gaining wisdom with age is not a given, but most 23 year olds can't compete with the 63 year olds.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 14
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/7/2012 4:47:10 PM
Matty, Matty, Matty . . .

I have indeed claimed to be wise ....

And what specifically "makes" you wise?

I've even conceeded this before ..... but just because a person has had 63 years of expearience and has a much MUCH better knowledge than an unedecated "dropout" (un unfair assumption I've already pointed out before) 23 year old ... doesn't AUTOMATICALLY make them more wise.

Nor does it automatically NOT make the 63 year old wise. Also, how are you defining "wisdom"?
I was in a McD's the other day and there were two homeless men there. They were what you could call "streetwise" in that they know how to survive in conditions that would absolutely defeat me.

But I have a house and a job. I have money in the bank. Those men might be able to read people and know who is an easy "touch" for money, but I won't give homeless people money because I have had too much experience in California to trust what they will do with that money.

Who is the wisest?

If a 23 year old school dropout is barely getting but the 63 old college grad is doing well, who is the wisest? How do we judge "wisdom"?
 stargazer1000
Msg: 15
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/7/2012 4:56:49 PM
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is understanding why you don't use it in a fruit salad."
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 16
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/7/2012 7:03:36 PM

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is understanding why you don't use it in a fruit salad.

Stargazer and the first person who posted this, I must disagree. What if I LIKE tomatoes in my fruit salad? My grandmother put sugar on her tomatoes, and my best friend's mother made her macaroni and cheese with sugar.

This does not allow for the tastes of different people in any area! Perhaps knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit and wisdom is accepting that people can eat tomatoes any way they please and not judge them for it.
 Samuel1786
Msg: 17
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/8/2012 11:23:31 AM
Socrates said that he was the wisest of the Greeks, because he admitted that he knew nothing. This is a humble and objective approach, and more people would be better off if this was a common view on wisdom and knowledge.

You can have all the intelligence in the world, but if you do not ask questions it does not matter. You can be a well-read tool just as easily as you can be an uneducated tool.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 18
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/8/2012 2:52:35 PM

Socrates said that he was the wisest of the Greeks, because he admitted that he knew nothing.

This is assuming that knowledge is the same as wisdom, but it isn't. I am very knowledgeable in some fields, and there is no reason to be humble and protest that I do not; in other fields, I know much less. Continuing to seek knowledge has nothing to do with humility about what one already knows.

I could use a lot more wisdom, as well.

In my opinion, humility is just another way to control the populace. People are so danged humble they can't even accept a compliment.

And very little is "objective"--the sophists were right (in my subjective opinion).
 Samuel1786
Msg: 19
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/8/2012 3:00:58 PM
I disagree. I think people who have spent their entire lives rising to a higher standard of living because they have memorized the material and done the required research is just shameful if they are passing it off as an original achievement, or a reason to be arrogant. Someone is not at all intelligent because they have a degree--it just shows they have a measure of self-control and a good work ethic.

You are not rewarded in society (usually) for original insight, which has led to a completely erroneous perception of what makes for intelligence.
 aremeself
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/8/2012 3:53:15 PM
a wise person would probably keep seeking knowledge from learned appropriate sources, and would slowly start to think for himself, more and more.

It's a rare and tough think to do, mostly rare.

the tough part is in being willing to not conform to the group.

peer pressure is one of the most powerful and damaging conditions.
 Samuel1786
Msg: 21
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/8/2012 3:55:35 PM

a wise person would probably keep seeking knowledge from learned appropriate sources, and would slowly start to think for himself, more and more.

peer pressure is one of the most powerful and damaging conditions.

Well put. Progress goes through stages of innovation and repression. I think a lot of people mistake the current system for one, instead of the other.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 22
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/8/2012 4:18:41 PM

I disagree. I think people who have spent their entire lives rising to a higher standard of living because they have memorized the material and done the required research is just shameful if they are passing it off as an original achievement, or a reason to be arrogant. Someone is not at all intelligent because they have a degree--it just shows they have a measure of self-control and a good work ethic.

You are not rewarded in society (usually) for original insight, which has led to a completely erroneous perception of what makes for intelligence.

If you are disagreeing with me, my comment had nothing to do with people passing off research as their own--I have no idea how that was entered into the topic. I did not mention intelligence vs. knowledge, either. A person can be very intelligent but unschooled—and I am not talking about post-secondary institutions.

However, gaining knowledge is not based on producing original work. A person who is well read is more knowledgeable than a person who is not well-read (of course, this is subjective: the less well read person could have knowledge in other areas). The well-read person acquires knowledge by listening and learning what others have to teach. I have spent years reading mythic tales and analysis by experts: even if I never produce an original thought about myth, I am still knowledgeable about the subject.

I also teach two different classes dealing with mythology. When my students finish the class, if they are intelligent enough to absorb the material, they are more knowledgeable than when they entered the class.

There is no shame in singing songs that other people have written, eh?

You also confuse arrogance with self-confidence—to acknowledge one’s intelligence and knowledge base is not arrogance. Why good is there in pretending to be stupid or ignorant? To say, “I have knowledge” does not indicate that there is nothing left for the speaker to learn.

Why do people who say, "I think outside of the box," do not realize that they speak in cliches?
 Samuel1786
Msg: 23
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/8/2012 4:22:16 PM
Why do arrogant people pass off good advice as a cliche whenever it doesn't fit their point?

But no, my post wasn't necesarrily directed at you. Clearly you are an intelligent person--as evidenced by your ability to carry on a good argument. I don't doubt that school makes a person smarter, as it is the best way to expose yourself to lots of new ideas rapidly.

My only problem is with people thinking that a degree by itself represents anything other than hard work and debt.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 24
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/8/2012 5:26:51 PM

Why do arrogant people pass off good advice as a cliche whenever it doesn't fit their point?

You can't have "it" both ways--you can't deplore a lack of originality and then defend the use of cliches! Or, I should say, you can but is contradictory and even hypocritical.

I don't doubt that school makes a person smarter, as it is the best way to expose yourself to lots of new ideas rapidly.

School makes a person more knowledgeable, not smarter: we are born with our ability to learn, aka raw intelligence. Of course, there are nine types of intelligence and the same type of schooling is not apropos for all types.

My only problem is with people thinking that a degree by itself represents anything other than hard work and debt.

But it does represent more, and if you don't think so, how many doctors are allowed to practice medicine without a degree? I would not be allowed to teach without a degree.

I will say that that having a degree is not what it used to be due to the influx of schools that neither truly educate students nor have stringent requirements for passing classes.
 aremeself
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/8/2012 5:59:22 PM
there are many reasons to learn, some good some not so good.

but eventually a person should, I think, come up with there own way of thinking.
at first it's very strange.
or not.
lemmingness is still very acceptable, and we are kind of taught to be so.

there are some better doctors, teachers, nurses, carpenters, etc, than what come from schools, but they would be a mess to regulate, with all of the bad ones.

non schooled people can, do, and will contribute much.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Knowledge vs Wisdom