Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > The Cough      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 KarmicEvolution
Msg: 1
view profile
History
The CoughPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
So the Monkey has developed this throat, phlegm-y cough. There are no cough meds approved for children under 2 in Canada (according to the pharmacist, even though we had one before but I cant remember what it was). Ive already changed her from milk to juice and done all the normal things but does anyone have any secrets? Old wives tales? Anything that might help her out a little?

On a side note... do a forum search for the word cough and there seems to be a lot of people out there who have "cought" their fish. oy!
 Annielikeslyrics
Msg: 2
The Cough
Posted: 2/8/2010 7:45:08 PM
humidifier - and I know they are all cold now...but I think steam works so much better....

Hope Monkey feels better soon.

Annie
 almostnew
Msg: 3
The Cough
Posted: 2/8/2010 7:51:42 PM
Close the bathroom door. Turn the hot water on in your shower, and sit there with her for about fifteen minutes. She will start coughing it up. My little man is going through the exact same thing.
I found some infant vicks rub at Shoppers, some on her front, and back. They also have euclipis bubble bath for babies. Give it a go. If it's not too cold. Bundle her up, and take her for a short walk out side. It will also help her cough it up, and clear her out. Good luck baby girl. When they are sick. It's ruff on us.
 Got Trance
Msg: 4
The Cough
Posted: 2/8/2010 7:55:59 PM

Ive already changed her from milk to juice and done all the normal things

I'm curious about why you would stop giving her milk.
What are "all the normal things" you have done?
 KarmicEvolution
Msg: 5
view profile
History
The Cough
Posted: 2/8/2010 7:58:53 PM
Monkey doesnt seem to care...lol. Its me being all "mom-ish" trying to make her comfy. I have the chest rub for her and we rub then steam and it helps for sure! When shes awake and I can see it doesnt bother her Im not as worried about it but when I hear her cough in her sleep... ugh! Break the heart a little.

OMG Im such a Mom. LMFAO

^^ Dairy products can make phlegm issues worse. We've steamed, vicks baby rub, attempted to elevate her mattress slightly (shes a belly sleeper and a wiggler so it doesnt do much good lol), keep her nose cleaned out....
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 6
view profile
History
The Cough
Posted: 2/8/2010 8:12:51 PM
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts8678237.aspx
there is a thread I started a while back....tons of great tips in there :)

I found vicks made it worse, and opening her bedroom window a crack (after ensuring she was super bundled in jammies and a housecoat) helped immensely!
 packagedealx3
Msg: 7
view profile
History
The Cough
Posted: 2/8/2010 8:38:47 PM
Steam if it is bronchial related will cause the situation to become worse. They will become more inflamed, swell up and as I am very familiar with this, you feel a bit like you are drowning.

Cool mist vaporizer, always, and put tons of Vick's on her feet with socks. Also on her chest and back. When the kids are sick, I run a vaporizer 24/7.

Also, there is a cough medicine called Delsym. It can be used with all ages and is helpful with the stuffy head/nose even when the cough isn't horrible. It works better than any other over-the-counter cough medicine as well as the prescription meds with codeine in them.

Also, if there is any way to prop up the crib mattress on one end. If she has that chunky sounding cough, laying down is going to cause her lungs to fill up with fluid, if her head is elevated she will have less problems breathing.

Get the cough medicine it is truly the best thing on the planet.

Dairy products cause the body to produce mucus, ergo anyone having issues with upper respiratory symptoms, even allergies should cut out milk and/or dairy if possible until their system clears.
 KarmicEvolution
Msg: 8
view profile
History
The Cough
Posted: 2/8/2010 8:47:52 PM
Delsym! I bet that was it! Pharmacists really need to all know the same thing. As much as they arnt docs, they are in the medical profession.

We shower steamed, I only have an old school humidifier so I onl use it when Im going to be awake anyway.

I have asthma and a history of bronchitis/pneumonia, and lung closure due to cough or cold so I know what Im listening for in regards to it getting worse but it truely sucks when they dont talk and you get to guess what it feels like.
 daydreamin_honey
Msg: 9
The Cough
Posted: 2/8/2010 8:59:10 PM
Vapor Rub on the chest, humidifier, turn your bathroom into a steam room and get her to breathe deep for a bit, chicken noodle soup (get her to drink the broth especially), and you can always google "homeopathic cough remedies".
My daughter is actually on a nebulizer for her respiratory problems. She gets wicked bronchiolitis when the weather gets yucky and it's gotten REALLY bad this year. Her doc just renewed her Rx last week.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 10
view profile
History
The Cough
Posted: 2/8/2010 9:22:41 PM
^^^^You might want to check with your doc, if your child is on a nebulizer, hot steam pretty much reverses what the nebulizer is doing.

Karmic, if you've got asthma, I would assume that she has a touch of it. You can get a cool mist vaporizer at Wal-Mart for $25, just bought another one this weekend because the 10-year-old dropped a chair on his, sigh. I wound up in the ER when I was around 22, doc told me that all of the hot baths I had been taking trying to open up my lungs was essentially doing the opposite.

The Delsym was recommended by my pediatrician a few years ago, beats the heck out of having 3-4 different cough medicines in the house and it really is an unbelievable. The other benefit, it tastes good (almost, lol) and it is a 12 hour medication so you don't have to keep redosing.
 Got Trance
Msg: 11
The Cough
Posted: 2/9/2010 4:55:10 AM
I also heard about milk and mucus when my child was a baby. back then I asked the Doctors about it. I was told something similar to this.....
Sometimes parents hear that they shouldn’t give milk because it promotes mucus building. That’s an old wives’ tale with no scientific evidence to back it up

This quote was taken from Webmd .....http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/features/cold-cough-home-remedies-children.
I have always been an inquisitive person. I did not ask just one Dr.
23 years later I had all but forgotten about it till I read it here this morning. I googled milk and mucus in various ways and it seems there very, very many discussions about it. Overall it is parents telling others there is a connection between drinking milk and mucus production. When I go to medical sites not one supports the theory.
Just like people believing if you go outside with wet hair you will catch a cold. Old wives tales are still alive and kicking.

My point is, do not believe everything you hear or read. We now have a great tool that we can use to educate ourselves. The internet.
 Got Trance
Msg: 12
The Cough
Posted: 2/9/2010 5:07:39 AM
I just read on the webmd site that Vicks should not be used on children under two years old.
I have never heard of rubbing vicks on feet. Why would you do that? Vicks is not a medicine that is absorbed into the skin. It is the vapors that you breath that are said by some to be helpful. I use Vicks myself when I get all stuffed up. It's the menthol that makes you feel better.
 KarmicEvolution
Msg: 13
view profile
History
The Cough
Posted: 2/9/2010 6:11:03 AM

I just read on the webmd site that Vicks should not be used on children under two years old.

There is infant vicks.

As for the milk thing, no matter what a website says I know from experience. If I drink milk when Im sick my cough always gets worse and I get more phlegm-y.
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 14
The Cough
Posted: 2/9/2010 6:15:51 AM
An old pagan remedy is to boil fresh thyme and breathe it in. You can either just boil it in a pot on the stove, or buy a special diffuser where you light a candle in the bottom, pour the water and thyme on the top, and breathe that in. I like doing it the latter way because then it seems to have the real pagan feel to it.
 WindRoper
Msg: 15
The Cough
Posted: 2/9/2010 6:38:17 AM

Vicks is not a medicine that is absorbed into the skin. It is the vapors that you breath that are said by some to be helpful.

Onions are consumed via the feet either but rub one on the bottom of your feet and see how much time passes before you notice an odor and eventually can taste it. While I agree that some home remedies provide little if any results, like with anything else, to generalizae and lump all into one category is illogical and short-sighted. The term "old wives tale" is a phrase most probably coined by the professional medical community in an effort to drum up more patients and money for their practice... with "practice" being the key word in that statement. Homeopathic medicine has been around much longer than the medical profession, and some is based on known botanical properties so that is a science in and of itself.

Also the practice of putting Vicks ont he feet may have started with the notion that menthol dialates poors and if not properly washed off can contribute to worsening a person's condition if they get out in the cold air. A person may wear a open collar or not dress in layers during cold weather, but chances are they'll wear at least one pair of socks and shoes on their feet.
 berrysweetncgurl
Msg: 16
The Cough
Posted: 2/9/2010 7:00:04 AM
Not sure if this is helpful or advised but my son has gotten that "cough" quite a few times and it is wretched at night.

I give him one of 2 teaspoons of honey, its easy for him to take, he likes it, doesnt spit it out like medicine and it cures this pesky lil cough. It helps us, maybe it will help you, ask his doctor first though. Maybe it would help if they gave him a albuterol nebulizer, this has also been very helpful to my son.
 daydreamin_honey
Msg: 17
The Cough
Posted: 2/9/2010 10:56:52 AM

I give him one of 2 teaspoons of honey, its easy for him to take, he likes it, doesnt spit it out like medicine and it cures this pesky lil cough. It helps us, maybe it will help you, ask his doctor first though.

You should never give honey to a child under a year old under any circumstances, it can make them severely ill or even kill them. NOT an old wives tale, medical fact. It can contain spores of things your baby can't have built up an immune system to at an early age. Just a warning, not trying to nip I promise.
 daydreamin_honey
Msg: 18
The Cough
Posted: 2/9/2010 1:56:05 PM
I actually just caught a medical show that mentioned how to treat a cough today!
The top 2 things to use are hot water with lemon and/or honey (again, no honey for children under 12mnths!) to thin the mucous and allow it to make the cough productive. Delsym is used to control cough in the case of dry non-productive coughs.

My daughter's doctor has encouraged the steam but it isn't always enough for her.
The Vicks on the bottom of feet has worked for my son, but not for my doctor. My son's first daycare taught me that one.
Milk/dairy products DO increase phlem/mucus and are often suggested to be avoided in sick children unless they are on special diets (always consult your child's doctor).

When using a humidifier, try to find the menthol drops for them, they help breathing ease.
 whatzyerpoint
Msg: 19
The Cough
Posted: 2/9/2010 3:18:04 PM
They restrict honey for children under a year because of the possibility of botulism spores in unpasteurized honey. There is also apparently some concern about potential allergies, because there will be pollen in it as well. The thing about coughs and milk is that coughs tend to get worse until they peak during the course of a cold or bronchial infection, and it often appears that there is a direct link. Now, having said that, if you have any sort of lactose intolerance the body may react more strongly to the lactose when your immune system is slightly suppressed during illness. Fluids, fluids and more fluids if she is phlegmy. Just increasing the amount of liquid can help thin the secretions and make it easier for her to cough up, if there is mucus coughing is GOOD, but you want productive coughing. Let it run it's course. The reason cough syrup for babies doesn't exist anymore is that they found not only did it not effectively treat the symptom it hindered their bodies natural ability to get rid of the mucous. Static mucus is a breeding ground for bacteria.
 Got Trance
Msg: 20
The Cough
Posted: 2/9/2010 4:46:05 PM
whatzyerpoint hit the nail on the head. All to many times a parent will try something, in this case giving up milk and adding more juice for awhile, shortly thereafter, the phlegm problem starts to clear up. They then think it was the absence of milk that helped the child clear up.
This is why "old wives tales" keep on propagating.

The Vicks on the bottom of feet has worked for my son, but not for my doctor. My son's first daycare taught me that one.

I would be asking if the person in the daycare center is a Dr.
Everything I have been reading states NOT to use Vicks Vaporub on children under two.

Once again the menthol is the key ingredient in Vicks and it does nothing when applied to the skin where the vapors can not be inhaled.
Comparing an onion to Vicks is ridiculous. Our skin is permeable, it will absorb the good as well as the bad. But, some things will do no harm when absorbed through the skin while others can kill you.

Op and all others for that matter. Use google or whatever search engine you like. Do some work and actually do some searching. Do not just read what you want to see. Read a lot and go to trusted websites.
Webmd is a very trusted site.

Is it worth risking your childs health?
 carterscutie85
Msg: 21
The Cough
Posted: 2/9/2010 4:54:24 PM
Karmic, when I started a thread about the cough my baby had a couple months ago, I remember u telling me about Delsym. But when I looked at it at the store, it said do not use for children under 2. Maybe they've changed it recently?
 KarmicEvolution
Msg: 22
view profile
History
The Cough
Posted: 2/9/2010 5:23:39 PM
Welp its gotten worse...

So tonight we now have a pharmacist recommended homeopathic cough med for kids 0-6, tylenol, baby vicks rub, cool air humidifier and a menthol vaporizer. Im hoping that hps or at least stall the whole thing until we get to the doc tomorrow.

Got_trance.... Once again, there is BABY vicks rub. As for the milk, my opinions are based on my own personal experiences, not of getting better by removing dairy but of getting worse when its added to the situation.

Also, I've spoken to medical professionals. My question was for little extras that might help, not medical advice. I only get medical advice from medical professionals, NOT websites, no matter how "trusted" they are.
 Got Trance
Msg: 23
The Cough
Posted: 2/9/2010 5:50:49 PM
You have a lot to learn.

I only get medical advice from medical professionals, NOT websites, no matter how "trusted" they are.

And yet here you are doing exactly that.
You asked for help, you even want to know about the "old wives tales" type of cures and remedies.
By the way, Webmd is written by Doctors. So it can be trusted. Would you trust a magazine that was published by Doctors?
Do not fear everything on the internet. There is a lot of good things to be found on it.

By the way, Vicks Baby rub does not contain menthol. Therfore it is not the same as the original.

When I feel a cold coming on this is what I do. Every morning for 5 days I jump up and down 3 times, then I clap my hands twice. My cold goes away a day or two later. I suggest everyone do it. It really works.
 KarmicEvolution
Msg: 24
view profile
History
The Cough
Posted: 2/9/2010 6:11:43 PM
And yet here you are doing exactly that.
You asked for help, you even want to know about the "old wives tales" type of cures and remedies.
By the way, Webmd is written by Doctors. So it can be trusted. Would you trust a magazine that was published by Doctors?
Do not fear everything on the internet. There is a lot of good things to be found on it.

AGAIN, I did not ask for medical advice, I asked about things people had done to help outside of normal medical-type remedies. If someone has given their child warm tea with curry powder and banana slices or put apple slices in her tub and it helped them, why not try? Its not something that would hurt her.

And no, I wouldnt trust a doctor published website or magazine. Unless someone knows me or my daughters medical history and knows every symptom and detail of our illnesses they cant diagnose or give me medical advice. If medical advice and remedies could be given so easily doctors would work in call centers, not offices.

I stated in my second post I was using baby vicks, so Im not sure why youre so hung up on the vicks issue. None of the other people have stated the age of their children when they used the vicks solution.

You have a lot to learn.

Are you a doctor? Pharmacist? Nurse?... No? Well then Id say in regards to medical knowledge, you probably have the same amount to learn as the rest of us.

Karmic is she also congested? Runny or plugged nose? I know they hate it but sometimes one of those suction bulb devices can help keep her nose clear and might make her more comfortable.

Shes super runny... to the point that the snot suckers really dont do anything. Luckily with it being as runny as it is, its just messy but doesnt bother her. Nothing like a nice layer of snot coating everything she touches...lol... ugh!
 whatzyerpoint
Msg: 25
The Cough
Posted: 2/9/2010 6:16:22 PM
Karmic is she also congested? Runny or plugged nose? I know they hate it but sometimes one of those suction bulb devices can help keep her nose clear and might make her more comfortable.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > The Cough