Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > ChaLean Extreme      Home login  
 AUTHOR
ChaLean ExtremePage 1 of 1    
I am currently doing this program. I am not very far into it but I can totally see how it works and have seen an improvement.

I do not do gyms so I look for quality workouts I can do at home and I like Chalene because she is high-energy and that radiates through.
 Stormwolf
Msg: 3
view profile
History
ChaLean Extreme
Posted: 2/9/2010 10:36:48 AM
It's just a factual concept that "MUSCLE BURNS FAT."
However, the word "committing " is the most important.
There's nothing "bad" about the Chalean Extreme concept
except the 90 day target. What happens on day 91?
You may want to join "Life Extentions" and design your
own program. It will be much more affordable and educational
in the long run.
 metalpalace
Msg: 5
ChaLean Extreme
Posted: 2/12/2010 8:17:03 PM
Great program. Chalene does a great job of teaching you instead of just arbitrarily going through the motions so it's easier to become independently healthy for the rest of your life instead of just 90 days. 90 days is just the initial transformation period. Much cooler tan a gym. I say get it.
 readyforitru
Msg: 6
view profile
History
ChaLean Extreme
Posted: 2/15/2010 12:12:08 PM
Hi there, just wanted to say that I am one who has used the beachbody CD programs and if your goals are to get in and maintain good shape, save time [ie. going to gym], and are serious to implement a lifestyle routine that may last...then go for it. I did the P90x over a year ago and am currently doing Turbo Jam. I think these are smart trainers who offer you guided programs that do work and motivate you also...just go for it!

Cheers
 metalpalace
Msg: 7
ChaLean Extreme
Posted: 2/15/2010 3:56:51 PM

Yes muscle even at rest does burn fat, but the amount is nominal and thus pretty much insignificant.

Define nominal or insignificant? Our basal metabolic rate is responsible for over half of our daily caloric burn and that's almost entire from glucose and fat.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 8
view profile
History
ChaLean Extreme
Posted: 2/15/2010 6:55:20 PM
Agree with caffeinejag - it's lower, around 6cals/day. Whoop-de-doo.

However, there are still good reasons for building muscle, but hoping to coast on your muscle burning a ton more calories than your fat ain't one of them.
 metalpalace
Msg: 9
ChaLean Extreme
Posted: 2/15/2010 7:28:42 PM
Your body burns about 10% of its calories by digesting the food you eat (thermic affect of feeding). We have some control over that by the food choices we make. Physical activity accounts for anywhere between 10% and 30% of the energy your body uses each day. The remaining 60% to 80% is from your basal metabolism which is largely used up by the muscles supporting your frame. That's a 20% different between someone who has no muscle, and someone who strength trains regularly with proper nutrition. Everyone has their own criteria for what constitutes a sizable worth while difference. In my opinion, 20% is significant.

What these percentages mean is that if you build muscle you can increase your basal matabolic rate by up to 50 calories a day per pound of muscle. In effect, you achieve truly metabolic weight control; fat burning that hums along on its own even as you sit or sleep.

I'm not speaking purely from my academic studies. I work with over a thousand people and every single one of them who is building muscle is able to eat more food without putting on weight (that amount varies from person to person and is based on several variables). I to am able to eat significantly more food without gaining weight than I could before I got started a few years ago. I still can't pig out and I still have to portion control but I am able to eat significantly more food to a degree without gaining weight.
 metalpalace
Msg: 10
ChaLean Extreme
Posted: 2/16/2010 2:39:44 PM
Great observation Caffeinejag.

According to academia from ACSM it takes at least a week to begin loosing the muscular strength gains you've made from strength training if you've been strength training for a period of time. If you just started, then maybe a couple days it's a grey area. With the loss in strength gains and the size of the muscle belly comes a decreased metabolism. The rate at which you loose skeletal muscle will be approx. only half the rate at which you gained muscle. In other words lets say you put on two pounds of muscle in the course of one month then stopped lifting weights. It would take TWO months to loose that two pounds of muscle you were able to put on your frame during that one month of regularly lifting weights.

Strength gains are very stable (creating a stable metabolism to) especially compared to anaerobic threshold gains and over all cardio vascular health.
 metalpalace
Msg: 11
ChaLean Extreme
Posted: 2/16/2010 5:07:29 PM

Confused: If they where not putting on any weight how do you know they where gaining any muscle?

Body composition evaluation including Bioelectrical Impedance and Anthropometry assessments.

Don't use a weight scale for this because it does not discern fat free mass from adipose tissue.
 metalpalace
Msg: 12
ChaLean Extreme
Posted: 2/16/2010 6:01:16 PM

Regardless of the program, if your diet sucks you wont see much improvement. Diet is 60-70% of the battle.

High Five
 metalpalace
Msg: 13
ChaLean Extreme
Posted: 2/16/2010 6:03:13 PM

I think 6-10 calories per pound of extra muscle makes sense....

No offense; IF you're going for more calories from fat burned by raising your basal metabolic rate and your best results so far is an increase of 6 - 10 cals per pound then your program is something to be desired. If you're a human being you can easily increase that up to 50 calories per pound of extra muscle.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > ChaLean Extreme