Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Your H1N1 experience?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Stormwolf
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Your H1N1 experience?Page 1 of 1    
Well here we are close to mid February and If you'd be so kind as to
tell me if your experience with the "Great Swine Flu Pandemic"
was either justified or overblown? Also, have we learned anything
from this "Pandemic" to adjust future policy?
 Andy687
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Your H1N1 experience?
Posted: 2/12/2010 11:25:20 PM
It was extremely overblown. My brother ended up catching it awhile back and i got it from him. It sucked, but really, i've felt worse.
 mysteriousromeo
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Your H1N1 experience?
Posted: 2/13/2010 7:30:10 AM
The whole "swine flue pandemic" was way overblown. Everyone in government was so scared of being accused of not doing anything or not doing enough that they went overboard. I did not get the H1N1 vaccine nor did I ever contract the H1N1 virus.
 winteragain
Msg: 4
Your H1N1 experience?
Posted: 2/13/2010 7:25:41 PM
During the h1n1 scare you wouldn't believe the number of days off we had due to professors calling in sick. Hey people with doctorate degrees, try washing your hands before licking your fingers. They probably caught it because their immune system isn't as robust as us college kidz'
 arwen52
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Your H1N1 experience?
Posted: 2/14/2010 3:13:25 PM
Your own personal experience is not a reliable indicator for greater trends.

I've had a few adult friends who got the flu. Some were mild, some were pretty sick. I've had several friends who had child relatives who ended up in the hospital because they got very seriously ill.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/

Notice the graph of the number of deaths reported, which is over twice the number of deaths from flu in preceding years.

There is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" problem with dealing with such situations. First of all, you can't completely predict what's going to happen, just use what information you have to do the best you can. Secondly, if you *do* effectively reduce the severity of the outbreak through such measures as education and vaccination, people then think there was no reason to be concerned in the first place. If you do nothing and there's a serious outbreak, then you are condemned for doing nothing. Either way, you are criticized by people who don't really understand the problem.

H1N1 was not a seasonal flu and is related to other flu viruses that have been very serious, including the outbreak of 1918 that killed so many young men. I think taking it seriously was a wise thing to do.
 Sketchness
Msg: 6
Your H1N1 experience?
Posted: 2/20/2010 7:08:04 PM
Another thing People are missing the point on regarding morbidity, is these deaths are occurring in a number of otherwise healthy individuals. Not just the very young, old\infirm, or weakened immune system types.
 RenaiMan
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Your H1N1 experience?
Posted: 10/2/2010 2:04:51 PM
I thank Brontide for bringing this to light. No matter how ugly and evil the truth can be, some of choose to seek it instead of just being compliant.

http://birdflu666.wordpress.com/2009/07/28/swine-flu-vaccine-has-adjuvants-that-impair-fertility/

And Mike Adams just wrote an interesting article about vaccinations and population control:

http://www.naturalnews.com/029911_vaccines_Bill_Gates.html

If you truly want to avoid ALL flu strains you should be studying nutrition, like vitamin D:

http://www.naturalnews.com/027385_Vitamin_D_swine_flu_vaccine.html
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Your H1N1 experience?