Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > The Perfect 50 year Old Guy…      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mysteriosa
Msg: 2
view profile
History
The Perfect 50 year Old Guy…Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I think if something is playing over in your mind, it's because you noticed a warning sign. It may be that you are sensitive to certain signs and issues because of your past. It seems to me it would be wise to take note of what exactly is bothering you, acknowledge it, and then decide whether it's a major warning or just that he's stepping slightly into a sensitive area. Look at the whole thing rationally and not just with emotion, then decide what you'll do. I suspect many things will be able to be put aside as not really that significant once examined. If you try to push things to the back of your mind, they'll probably just pop up again. Don't ignore your unconscious trying to tell you something, but allow what it's telling you to surface so you can review the information.
 carmensimone
Msg: 4
The Perfect 50 year Old Guy…
Posted: 2/13/2010 6:53:16 AM
How do yo know he's a really nice guy? You've only been out with him 4 times...slow down girl.

I laugh so hard when I see women type "he's a really nice guy" and they hardly know the man.

carmensimone
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/13/2010 7:14:25 AM
Ok Luiza ,
I wish you the best with this guy.
Just take it easy, be careful, and really get to know this NEW nice guy that has entered your life.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2010 8:40:38 AM
Keep it focused on right now is my cheap advise.

When your thoughts go to 'what will this mean in the future' or 'how will this play out?'
- just say "I'll find that out in the fullness of time, no way to know it now" and let it go.

Sounds like you're occupying yourself with fear and if you're occupied with the future it is impossible to be really present to right now. The only thing to know is your feelings will evolve over time - they will either deepen and you'll naturally become more connected or they will dissipate and you'll naturally drift apart. No amount of worrying or anticipating or attempting to direct them will actually work, so don't waste your time or energy attempting to control the outcome.

There IS no security... it will either work out, or not. Just enjoy the discovery of another person you'll know where you are in the fullness of time.
 Revilors
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/13/2010 11:00:58 AM

A conversation we had earlier this week and again today has been playing over and over in my mind. I know in the last 18 months I tend to have sabotaged potential relationships, basically because I was so deeply hurt from my last ltr.

You undoubtedly have become skilled at taking a compliment...and turning it into an insult.

A set of innocent behaviors...and turned them into suspicious actions.

In the extreme...every guy that puts Tabasco on his eggs is a no good, rotten, cheating SOB just like that guy that hurt you.

If that's the case...you need more help than we can offer you here.
 Revilors
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/13/2010 12:36:02 PM
Based on what I quoted from your OP...that you admit to sabotaging relationships over the passed 18 months due to a guy hurting you...and that you are re-analyzing a couple of conversations from what you admit is a "nice guy"...that maybe you are seeking the negatives.

Wow... that is extreme

I agree. It was simply an over exaggerated example for self reflection. That perhaps you are "seeking" similarities which also goes along with your admission of sabotaging relationships.

You saw everything about my post in a negative way. I think this was brought up in my original reply. Maybe it was tough love and not what you wished to hear. When in fact...it was simply a message of moving on...letting go of the past...and not punish yourself or prospective SO's with the fallout of one bad apple.

Sorry you saw criticism and insult in my post.

Perhaps...in my first post...or in your current or future relationships...you will take your microscope out...and seek the good intentions.
 arwen52
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2010 10:47:14 AM
Yeah - stay in the moment. Pay attention. Don't jump ahead, don't jump to conclusions.

Do you have good level-headed friends you can talk to? Talk to them.
 Revilors
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/14/2010 3:41:13 PM

You don't know if a man is really nice after 4 dates.

EVERY guy know what women seek in a man. Every guy.

What do you think a "player" is. It is a guy that can be "that guy" (in character) long enough to achieve his objective.

You can spot some of them...all of the time. But you cannot spot all of them...all of the time.

It is by faith and by time and actions that you find out which are genuine. Same holds true for the ladies. Everyone puts their best foot forward in the beginning. It's only after time and the challenges in relationships that people show their true colors.

That's why you limit your "investment" based on your experiences with that particular interest and not gauge them based on past one's.
 carmensimone
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/14/2010 4:49:54 PM
@ revilors...

Thank you!

Women don't get it do they? I SEE why men play women..it's far to easy. When I come along with A voice of reason, good intent, trying to help, they disregard it. Men know how easy it is to play these women, that's why they do it. Are women ever going to wise up?
 packagedealx3
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2010 6:03:38 PM

I still feel like running even at the thought that someone feels like I am worth it.

Your words, why did you write them, I don't think it was a slip of the keyboard. Most people would say that they run when they start feeling something for the other person, you instead want to run when you begin to believe that someone cares about you, because he could possibly not be honest, with you or himself?

But it really boils down to whether YOU think you are worth it.

It might also be helpful if you explained the conversation you are turning over and over in your head, because it could either be a good thing or bad and we have no clue what you are talking about.
 carmensimone
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/14/2010 6:55:37 PM
Is there anything in your childhood that would also make you feel this way about yourself?

How did you grow up, mom and dad..just mom...just dad...if you care to share. There's always something more to these type of situations...what is the true root of these feelings Luiza
 c_deacon
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2010 7:28:44 PM
Take him to bed and find out if it is all one side or another......that after getting him tested, talking to him about being exclusive, and what he wants from you and a relationship.

Life is to short to think, think, think, all the time and second guess yourself and all those you date. Just do it and find out if waking up to him is as much fun as going to bed with him.....

Good luck.

cd.............
 packagedealx3
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2010 7:35:58 PM
If you felt that you had poor judgment getting into or not getting out of the last relationship sooner, perhaps you haven't forgiven yourself because I think when we believe we deserve to be happy, that good things should happen to us, letting someone in isn't all that difficult.

If he's a good guy and you start spazzing, just tell him, I'm feeling that urge to put on my running shoes.

Maybe it's time to talk to your friend about this issue specifically. It's a good thing that you know you do it and want to change but sometimes moving from the thought to the action is hard.
 Revilors
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/14/2010 7:45:38 PM

Women don't get it do they? I SEE why men play women..it's far to easy. When I come along with A voice of reason, good intent, trying to help, they disregard it. Men know how easy it is to play these women, that's why they do it. Are women ever going to wise up?

I wouldn't limit this to women...nor would I limit it to romance. Don't think I am over cynical either.

Women and men have to be responsible for....and own their own feelings. I've said this before. We wouldn't hand our car keys over to someone we've met four times. Yet...we hand over (too much sometimes) our hearts to someone we don't really know.

On the opposite side of the spectrum...and because we we're not responsible custodians of our feelings and end up hurt...we become overly hesitant in doing the same...next time around.

I guess the point is...is what many have said...don't jump in with both feet. Don't offer what you can't afford to lose. But most of all...research your investments carefully....'cause it really is on you.
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2010 7:47:16 PM
I don't have too much advice to give but just wanted to comment. I liked the title of the thread. lol I have met the perfect 50 year old guy also, well perfect for me and it took me quite awhile to relax and allow myself to be happy. I was worried I would lose him over something silly or he would disappear like the last guy I dated. He told me he was lucky to have found me but I couldn't believe him. We decided to say we are both lucky to have found each other after previous relationships that didn't work out. When I had doubts he would just reassure me he wasn't going anywhere. I still get a little worried at times then he tells me he isn't going to end our good thing over some thing that is small in the big picture. We can talk over problems and compromise. Something neither of us could do with our exes. We have had disagreements but in the approximately 10 months together never yelled at one another. We both wanted to wait to have sex and develop the friendship first. It is still hard to believe I have such a wonderful man in my life and I hope you found one too.

IMO, 4 dates is enough time to know if you want to get to know some one better but still don't rush things too fast either. Even though I wasn't dating others and was pretty sure neither was he I waited a few months to ask if we were exclusive. In the beginning it turned out both of us were scared of saying or doing the wrong thing but we didn't let the other know it. My only advice is just enjoy spending time with this man and don't think too far ahead yet.

Yet...we hand over (too much sometimes) our hearts to someone we don't really know.

On the opposite side of the spectrum...and because we were not responsible custodians of our feelings and end up hurt...we become overly hesitant in doing the same...next time around.

I guess the point is...is what many have said...don't jump in with both feet. Don't offer what you can't afford to lose.

Also I love the quote on your profile, I have that posted on a site of mine as well. It's true we shouldn't be afraid to say how we feel if he cares about you he will understand.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those
who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
 Revilors
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/15/2010 8:19:14 PM

IMO, You need to learn how to "forgive".
Forgivness is giving up the hope that the past could have been any different.

Don't agree with this response. Sorry...

I don't want to change the past, everything that has happened in the past makes me a better person today.

Not quite sure I'm understanding you Opie.

In your OP you infer you are having potential issues with a "nice guy"...possibly because you "were hurt so deeply" in your last ltr. That "happened in the past" and I'm guessing you're not better off because of it.

In fact...I'm thinking if you were...there'd be no thread.

Still waiting on the jist of these two conversations. It might help us understand why we're not getting it.
 Sapphireeyes
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/15/2010 10:37:45 PM
Good luck to you OP, and congrats...you are a very beautiful woman and deserve the happiness you desire in your life.

I think at times when we are out of a bad relationship we shut down...look at what happened with the other guys as a way that your mind was trying on the concept of being with someone again...instead it said Im not ready and you bolted...cause you werent ready...now you have found someone that has clicked enough to make you WANT to try and move past the emotional roadblock you have created for yourself..."your wall"...you built it and when you find the person you want...you will take it down...

I had something happen last August, I met a man on here that totally spun me around...I wasnt ready for the impact he had on me and when things didnt work out I blamed myself for a long long time. When I was thinking about this I realized how from the start he had the same thing going on that you did. As an example, the next day after we talked on the phone he told me how great the distance was between us...at the time i was a bit miffed cause the distance didnt matter the night before when he called me. That was the first clue and then in the following days I kept seeing a trend where he was looking for things that were wrong. So when you find yourself looking for things that are wrong ...vs things that are right then realize that you arent ready. I think the fact you started this thread is an indication of how much you want this to work. I realize now he also wasnt in the right place in his life and was looking for a way out...it hurts when that happens...when something feels so right and then its gone...but atleast you are on the right track now to realize that happens with you and taking the right steps to prevent it from happening again.
 Thunderstruck29
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2010 8:24:56 AM
I agree with what the blonde lady said. You can't tell diddly after four dates.....

Last year, I started dating a woman I had met a year earlier. We seemed compatible, but her job and my job didn't allow us to meet up becuase of scheduling conflicts.
I ran into her awhile back and we hooked up after she split with the guy she was dating.
I thought things were going great for the first few dates....

But the more I learned the more scared I became.
This woman was a total Flake-Ola.

She was obsessed with my looks (or lack of them) and constantly harped about the good looking Gomer Ple clone who had dumped her prior to me. Thats' right. A woman who met me in the bookstore obsessed over a guy who was functionally illiterate! And she couldnt' figure out why that relationship didn't work! LOL...
Then she just decided to quit her job because she didn't like to drive to work. Then, she reveals that she likes alcohol and recreational drugs. And of course, you know she didn't have money for smokes...or groceries...yatta, yatta, yatta.
By the time the whole thing fell apart, I was sorta grateful to the gods it was over as she was an emotional and financial strain by that point.
But oh, those first four dates seemed wonderful!

LOL...
Just date this guy for awhile lady. Don't put the applecart before the horse. If things work out, then you can start plotting and scheming a permanant relationship.
 skymaninnc
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2010 11:24:38 AM
People come in and out of our lives for a reason. Maybe the reason this gentleman came into your life was because he really is a good person, you find him attractive and he treats you well. Maybe now after previous disasters you are ready for a good guy. I think we should all come into a new relationship without holding the other person responsible for the sins of a previous love. My theory has always been to give the person the benefit of the doubt until they have proven through actions that they are not the person I want to be with.

He sounds like a person worth getting to know!

Good Luck!
 SHAGGY OLD DOG
Msg: 40
Posted: 2/27/2010 10:08:41 AM
I can only draw from the advice of Bob Newhart as he played a psychologist in a scit on TV.

Dr. Bob would ask his patients what their problems were and after their lengthy replies he would yell at them VERY loudly. "WELL STOP IT! What are you, some kinda nut"?

I hope this helps you and others. JUST STOP IT! :-)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > The Perfect 50 year Old Guy…