Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Is the gradual dumbing down of a nation inevitable?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 andso.itgoes
Msg: 2
Is the gradual dumbing down of a nation inevitable?Page 1 of 1    
Not a believer in reincarnation, I do subscribe to change over time. Babylon, Rome, Europe, the America's- they do not reincarnate over time, but they change over time. The people and players of Rome did not vanish and reappear elsewhere at a later date. They adapted to their circumstances or perished. Just how many cycles of 1500 years exists to test this theory? Seems there is one or two at most, unless you give a great deal of credibility to caves with paintings of animals on them.

Question is, will we adapt to change or do we keep marching in step to the same drummer even though that beat no longer serves a useful purpose? I agree with many of the observations regarding the rise and fall of a nation, nation being a relatively young term. I do not see this as an inevitable condition that portends disaster as long as people adapt. In the case of the U.S., all indictations are adaptation is not to be considered. Plowing on with blinders oblivious to important cues of change is.
 itsallinthesoul
Msg: 3
Is the gradual dumbing down of a nation inevitable?
Posted: 2/15/2010 5:59:07 PM
There are many great societies we know that eventually lost their power. Perhaps the reason it happened is that they chose to embrace the wrong ideals....ideals which would inevitably lead to decay from within...

When we do not learn from history, we are doomed to repeat history...

Will/Can historians see the trends? Yes, only if they are willing to accept them. Change is never easy....
 itsallinthesoul
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/15/2010 6:24:05 PM
garry, reincarnation cannot be proven or disproven, it is a matter of faith. The US is not the only country that struggles with the invasion into our personal lives by government or the lack of respect from the politicians we elect into power.

Perhaps it is about time for a rebellion of sorts.....one in which we stop complaining and actually take some action against the government to take back our voice and our power.

I'm Canadian and I hate that I lose about 50-70% of every dollar I earn to taxes in some form or other (taxes directly from income, sales taxes, etc....). The alternative is I suppose to refuse to file income taxes and pay the taxes or send the government what I think they are worth...of course that would land me into jail eventually or homeless or both. The government can freeze my accounts and simply take the money they feel they are owed so I am kinda caught between the rock and the hard place. I suppose I could refuse to earn/use cash for purchases and instead try to find/create a barter system.....
 yna6
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/16/2010 9:18:38 AM
Keeping the population in ignorance is one way to retain power. Disenfranchising segments of society is another...introducing "class structure" another, removing privileges is another...

A people who sacrifices freedom for security will get neither freedom nor security. How many freedoms have been removed since 9-11 in the States, and how much security has it garnered? Seems a lot of people have the usual American attitude of "That's over there, not here, so I'm not interested in it..."
 chrono1985
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/16/2010 2:18:43 PM
What goes up, must come down. Whether we strive for intellect or not isn't the issue, it's only a matter of time before the society we know falls and another arises (not to say the one that arises starts from scratch mind you). The part that matters is whether the next society learns from our mistakes and improves upon them; which is something we obviously fail at. One example of our failure to learn from past societies can be seen all around us, our infrastructure is failing in major ways, Rome went into decline due to their infrastructure slowly collapsing around them, still only patchwork repairs are performed unless absolutely necessary to repair at a larger scale. It's not as much a problem for a couple other countries that have spent large amount of resources and time upgrading their infrastructure with newer technologies.

I'm not sure if we really are dumbing down however. Sure are in some areas that really matter, but generally we must learn a lot more just to perform our day to day lives than ever before in history. A couple hundred years ago your primary source of entertainment would probably have been telling and hearing stories with friends, now you have to properly wire a box to a television, understand the format of some media container (be is disk, tape, or cable lines), and which buttons make the box do what you want. Dunno about you but I find sitting around and telling or hearing stories of things that happened during the past few days a lot easier than all that even though both are things I do regularly.

It's not so much the people in power, sure they play a large role. When you look at both sides (leader and follower) you find faults on both sides, rather large ones, to many are content letting others make choices for them which affect them in HUGE ways, while those that make the choices are often unchallenged leading them to think their choices are working.
 GGarbo
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/16/2010 3:02:09 PM
There are a lot of similar political philosophies of this. With the rise of a power comes a natural decline just due to patterns that occur due to the political environment.

Its really the concept of power itself I personally think you have to examine. Power has a limited lifespan due to its need to protect itself and its resources. The more power is distributed, the more likely it is to be able to be more productive due to the intelligence it receives. This works when its about the people, not individuals.

In any society, you will have people who are attracted to this power and the influence they could wield with it. Overtime, more and more of these people are having successes and setting a foundation for how to achieve success in an environment where the majority are still working for the dynasty, while they work for themselves.

To get more power, groups are formed. Just like little dynasties themselves, these groups struggle for supremecy from within the larger dynasty. Eventually, the groups become larger as the weakest are defeated. Even when larger groups are formed, smaller groups from within those are formed until the pocket of power is actually quite small for being in such a large group.

This isn't war...this is politics.

Then it is no longer about the people but about preserving the power among individuals. Their network of power is so small that they are lacking proper intelligence to rule properly. Those in power feel they need to be there so they will fight to preserve thier spot there as long as they can. They will even subject people to propaganda to stay there to make up for the poor decisions now being made due to the lack of intelligence a larger network of power receives.

Eventually (because they are being subjected to a great deal of propaganda about why they should have no power) people smarten up. The people then start a new cycle of forming power. The reality is, the only reason those with power have it is because the people allow them to have it. They start to realize, they are allowed to take it back....they just need a big enough group who believe the same. In a poorly ran regime, many do. Without even trying, the power has put so much pressure on the population they are thinking and reacting the same.

Revolution occurs. The cycle of forming power by uniting groups starts all over again.

I don't think the U.S.'s fate is sealed at this point because a lot can happen to disrupt this cycle. Historically, banks and capitalistic interests have had their powers curbed in the past due to their influence on the economy. It can happen again. Its only when these pockets of power get so small that huge amounts of suffering is occuring that revolution occurs. Prior to that, high crime rates, violence, poor health, and large gaps between the rich and the poor just helps add fuel to the fire when it does happen.

If Americans still have time to worry about some of the things they do instead of focusing on the the real issues, I just don't see the U.S. being there yet. Many are more concerned with Government Alien Conspiracies they they are Political ones. When they start suffering enough, their focus will change to more serious and practical issues. Many are what are termed "the worried well" due to the issues they are concerned about.

I don't mean this as an insult, its just when you are in a richer country you have less worries and can start to focus on the more frivolous as necessity instead actual survival issues.
 edisto
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/20/2010 12:03:17 AM

it is not that I believe that the "dumbing down" of our nation is inevitable...

it is my fear that apathy has replaced the inquisitive person
instead of looking inward for answers
we turn to fox or msnbc
we are becoming jaded and defeatist in this country

what is happening
is that those with real power
are free to do amazingly evil things
without even a whimper anymore from the masses

it's not due to "dumbness"
but to the belief that we have lost our voice-
to question, to decide for ourselves
to be outraged...
 JustDukky
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/20/2010 5:26:55 PM

it's not due to "dumbness"
but to the belief that we have lost our voice-
to question, to decide for ourselves
to be outraged...

I'm left with the impression that people in general sense what's going on, but figure it hasn't affected them, so why "rock the boat"; or they know what's going on and are so afraid of getting into trouble, they don't wanna rock the boat.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
-- Thomas Jefferson

I suspect he was dead-on with that observation, and as long as people are too afraid to make waves and speak the truth, they will have to live on their knees under a tyranny that will generously give them a few scraps...if they beg enough.
 Strings6
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2010 6:26:55 PM
Most people these days are not realy dumb..they just don't know anything about anything that matters.
 edisto
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/20/2010 11:06:08 PM

I'm left with the impression that people in general sense what's going on, but figure it hasn't affected them, so why "rock the boat"; or they know what's going on and are so afraid of getting into trouble, they don't wanna rock the boat.

if this is so
it is a sad, sad commentary on contemporary man-
but you're probably right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1O9YrgB8AA

this video- is amazing-
it does show that not many will rock that fvking boat-
amazing !
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Is the gradual dumbing down of a nation inevitable?