Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Director Kevin Smith kicked off plane for being too fat. Views please!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 electric-gypsy
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Director Kevin Smith kicked off plane for being too fat. Views please!Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
US film director Kevin Smith (Clerks, Chasing Amy, Dogma) recently got booted off a Southwest Airlines flight for failing to meet Southwest's "Customer of Size" requirements that travellers "must be able to fit safely and comfortably in one seat." Smith maintained he was able to put both arm rests down and buckle his seat belt, which, according to the article, is Southwest's standard. The airline later apologised and offered him a $100 (£60) voucher, which he refused. Smith went on to slate Southwest on Twitter.

I think the key issue here is that Smith originally had bought two tickets to comply with Southwest's policy requiring larger passengers to buy two seats. However, he chose to go standby for an earlier flight and was seated on a plane on which there was only one seat left. It was at this point that he was kicked off the plane.

So what's your view? Is Smith justified in being disgruntled? Was he unfairly treated? Or did he get what he deserved? If you've ever had a large seatmate, how did it affect your flight?

And please... try to refrain from gratuitous America-bashing. It adds nothing of value and - let's be honest - obesity is plaguing the UK and Europe, too. BA, Virgin and Air France, among other UK and European carriers, all have been forced to implement policies directed at passenger size issues.

Source: www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/7246403/Hollywood-director-Kevin-Smith-kicked-off-plane-for-being-too-fat.html
 Strider886
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Director Kevin Smith kicked off plane for being too fat. Views please!
Posted: 2/17/2010 5:20:25 AM
Both are to blame, but...

I think he should sue McDonalds.... They f**ked him up!
 Strider886
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2010 5:54:30 AM

Sigh .. boring .. yet another veiled "fat bashing" thread ... I wish people would be a tad more inventive when posting ...

Lois Lane

You of all people should know what I was talking about in my last post, with the flying super hero link thrown in
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2010 6:06:57 AM
I agree that in this instance both were at fault but moreso the airline.

Kevin had complied with the companies regulations in originally purchasing 2 seats - was it his job to question the clerk who booked him on the standby flight. Technically no but I guess by rights he should have said something as he knew taking a single seat was wrong. The clerk who reissued a single seat should have been aware of the 'size' regulations and not offered a single seat.

I think it's only fair enough that extremely obese people have to book an extra seat - not because of their weight but because seats are designed to 'contain' an average size person and obese people, while they can get into the seat will spill over into the next passengers seat / into the aisle

Hope - airlines work on x number of adults = average weight with a % for variations. Luggage is weighed so they know exactly the cargo. From the total estimated weight they can then calculate how much fuel will be required to fly x miles including an 'emergency allowance'. This is why even when a plane has not taken off, very late passengers are not allowed to board, fuel has been worked out and loaded and additional weight will throw out the total weight/fuel ratio calculations.
 electric-gypsy
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2010 8:46:27 AM

Planes have weight restrictions for reasons, the main one being that they fly. Okay so he might not of tipped the balance on the planes carrying capacity, but other than putting the plane on scales before it hits the runway there is no way of knowing other than a max per person and item limit.

The airlines' official line is that their passenger size policies are to ensure all passengers can sit "comfortably and safely" in the seats (ie, the safety belts fit). Airlines haven't mentioned anything about passengers' weight.
 electric-gypsy
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2010 9:21:10 AM

Ooooo .. since I last looked the OP has been changed .. nice one ... good call !

What's different? I haven't changed the OP lol

messages this short messages this short blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
 pantsonfire
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2010 3:42:05 AM
He's fat, kill him.. Put a nice, slender, seat fitting sociopath in his place... No one would have a problem with elbow space then... Presumably..
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Director Kevin Smith kicked off plane for being too fat. Views please!