Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Any Singers and or Songwriters?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Gogetter1956
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Any Singers and or Songwriters?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I've been involved in music ever since my early childhood. While I don't have a ready for prime time voice, I have written enough songs that I believe at least a few might be ready for prime time or pretty close, but I have had to put that all on hold for my family. Now that my kids are all adults and I am divorced I would like to find someone that does have a voice that is ready for prime time to help bring my songs to the publishing table.

Is anyone else here in the same boat? I looked for a musicians forum on the net, but so far the one I'm on is totally dead. Any musicians networking ideas or other ideas?

Please feel free to share your story and or ideas.
 luckyhot777s
Msg: 2
Any Singers and or Songwriters?
Posted: 2/18/2010 3:15:34 PM
Well, I can write songs, play music and sing....how well, it a matter of opinion...lol

I personally always thought a person should have a great voice to sing...my thoughts are you should be able to be well beyond the general public to be paid as as pro....

But voices like Johnny Cash made it, because despite their very limited range and borderline being able to sing at all in my opinion, their voice had a character to it and fit their songs.

Really to me if you have songs with meaning, you need just not a singer but one who can get your message across in his/her voice and way about them....to me thats important...

There are good people out there, plenty of them and its not always those who get the breaks, but have the drive to push, till they are in a position to get the breaks.

The studio's have a back log of talents....mostly they have songwriters, musicians and singers...they tend to hand pick the singer according to looks and personna, tack on the song and all, and attempt to create a star....well, country does this...rock is still some freelancing, but not like the old days.

I'm Blues and rock....country just doesn't do it for me, and its become so fake....

I sing good on my better nights...smoking gets in the way...maybe age....I used to be able to mimic Mc cartney, Brian Wilson...then range down to Elton, to Elvis...and most in between....easy to do people like Tayler or Crochie, etc...but these might not be in your era or style...basically I did it all to even the hard rock..

I always wish I could hit it like Steve Perry...I used to have minor connections in the business, but haven't talked to them in years...I just dabble for fun now.

In some ways its changed, in some ways the song remains the same...if you find the right combination of people for the band....go out and play in public, after you get it together...beware of conflicting personalities and practice room show offs ...the mix is where its at.....If you play out there...play stuff, the people like and are familiar with...if you get a following or popularity...then mix in your originals...see whay happens.

You can alwats just be a song writer, but the competition is fierce, and you need to set up to be legal...to keep from the thiefs...lol

If you want to create a band, play your music, do your own arrangements and engineering....Your going to have to pay the piper....the road...exposer, etc...these days there might be better ways with the net and all...but as a band is you make it your going to have to meet the public anyway.
 AA380
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/20/2010 5:54:42 PM
I sing and song write, I am not the best at singing but I put on a good song write, I also compose my own instrumentals, melodies and variations which includes: Drums, Piano, Guitar, Bass, Keyboards.. I am mainly influenced by family, friends, girlfriends, ex-girlfriends.. day to day events.. I try to write on a positive kind of side, Glass half full kind of thing.

But I've been playing instruments since early childhood as well, I'm still pretty young as is and I believe if I kept at it, by this time in 10 years I would be bigger and better than I am now, However now that I'm pushing 22 I gotta decide what I want to do with life, I could go for my career in Law Enforcement and keep music as a hobby. Or I could keep at music and try and get somewhere which is hella-expensive and I wont have a set finance and could bring me down in supporting a wife and kids.

So yeah, kind of a pickle. But I will try out the Law Enforcement and stick to music on the side to see where it takes me
 drsmashed01
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/25/2010 2:44:26 AM
My advice would be to get out and listen to some local bands. Talk to people in the club, shop for the band that you feel would best interpret your vision of your songs. When you write a song, you hear the whole thing in your head before a note has been recorded. To just find someone with a good voice, may not do your song justice. Only you know how it should sound, at least according to the creator, "you".

I agree w/ one of the previous comments, which is something to the affect of, a lot of people have a decent voice, but to be a professional it should be exceptional. In your case, it doesn't have to be. The vocals should capture the heart of the song, or the essence of it. I have been playing, writing, gigging, and doing session work for years. It's not expected that your song sounds like it's by a super star because you're not selling you and your band. You're trying to sell the song. If you were the hopeful up and coming "Artist", that's a different story. In a nutshell, find the sound that you feel would do your song the most justice and pursue it. Make the best recording within your resources/ budget, and start from there. Good luck....
 Gogetter1956
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2010 12:00:35 AM
Yeah, maybe I'll try to get in touch with some old friends, but I'm up to making new friends in music as well. We'll see.
 lateef7842
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2010 3:28:22 PM
Gogetter

I'm in almost the same boat having chucked in the 9 to 5 and moved to CA back in 07 to make music.

I've found so great singers on Crag's List. Try that first. Also, once you get your songs how you want them, look into trying to get them into TV and movies. there's money to be made also.

Lateef
 lateef7842
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2010 6:09:41 PM

But I've been playing instruments since early childhood as well, I'm still pretty young as is and I believe if I kept at it, by this time in 10 years I would be bigger and better than I am now, However now that I'm pushing 22 I gotta decide what I want to do with life, I could go for my career in Law Enforcement and keep music as a hobby. Or I could keep at music and try and get somewhere which is hella-expensive and I wont have a set finance and could bring me down in supporting a wife and kids.

So yeah, kind of a pickle. But I will try out the Law Enforcement and stick to music on the side to see where it takes me

@AA380
NO!!! DO NOT DO THAT!!!!! Trust me, I've been there. If you treat music as a hobby, you will only have "hobby" results. If you have a fall back plan then you are planning to fall back!

Your parents, family, mentors, etc ... will tell you to build a career and work on your music later or as a hobby. THEY ARE DEAD WRONG! I can not stress that enough. They mean well but they are wrong. I think it's safe to say none of them have built a successful, life long, career in the entertainment industry. They can only tell you how have to have a successful every day life. There's nothing wrong with that. But, if you want to be a successful musician, the only rule the two have in common is hard work. Everything else doesn't apply. Think of it like this; would you listen to a waiter's advice about law enforcement? If you're smart, I don't think you would.

You are only young once. Everything else will still be there later. Give yourself a fixed period of time, say 5 years, to make a name for yourself in music. Don't get any girls pregnant and make music your top priority. Eat sleep and breathe music within that time. But, be firm about your time line. If it doesn't happen by the end of your allotted time line, go on about your life with full knowledge that you gave it your best. Trust me, there is nothing worse than reaching middle age and wishing you would have taken your music more seriously. Think about it; what do you have to lose? If you fail epically, you can always go to school, or whatever it is you want to do. But, if you make it, you are set for life and you can take care of whatever wife and kids you may acquire. And, you can do so in grand style. But, you have zero chance of making that happen if you don't put yourself out there.

1.The only thing that won't be there later is your youth. And believe me, it's easier building a music career when you're young and you're in touch with what's going on. You will never, ever be as innovative and musically relevant than you are now.

2.You will never have as much energy and drive as you do now.

3.You will never have the opportunity to singly focus on your creativity like you do now. Wife, kids, career will always take precedent over your music.

4. Any woman who does not want you because you don't have a career/money at this point in your life isn't the kind of woman you want. Trust me on this. I've had money and I've been broke. The women you meet while you're a struggling musician are the best ones in the world. I kick myself over the good girls I let get away when I was your age selling plasma for money to pay for studio time. These girls never cared about money, they would bring me food and believed in my dream. Fast forward a couple of decades and most of these women have turned into great wives and mothers who put their families/husbands first. You are a man. You have no biological clock. You can always have a wife and kids. You are better equipped at thirty to have a good marriage than you are at 22. Take advantage of that and follow your dream.

Try music first. Give it your all. Move to a location where it will be easier to get your musical career started if you have to. What ever you have to do, do it. Get it done. Everything else worth having will be there when your done. This time in your life is fleeting. Take advantage of it while you can.

Good luck.

Lateef
 luckyhot777s
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/2/2010 9:36:52 AM
Fuuny I need something to inspire me to be real creative, though I can just sit down and write if I wanted to.

I was inspired just yesterday and it hit me, the words just came up....but, I figured I would remember them and didn't write it down....the day got real busy, and by the time I remembered I had come up with these lyrics....I forgot how they went....lol, age will do that to ya.

The inspiration came from a movie I was watching and there was a song in the movie...when listening music in this song, the words just floated up in my head, much different than the words to this song in the movie though....but with similar music and my words I thought it could be a great song.

So, I had to remember the song in the movie, play it on my guitar, sing the words....to remember my lyrics........the song in the movie is not a public song played elsewhere either.....well, I finally got it, and wrote it all down...but the ending...somethings not right there, I can't quite remember exactly how I put it.....I wrote the end to fit the song, and its good, but not the same...hope it will come to me, as this could really be a great song...

The moral to this story? when you hit upon a really great set of lyrics....write the shit down...don't chance it with your memory.
 AA380
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/2/2010 9:54:17 PM
whoa.. long read, that's a father speech from a father I never had and never will.. baha, thanks I think I'm convinced I can do it
 aRandomHero
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2010 11:13:19 AM
music is a tough career to get into. Im currently in my 2nd year of college studying music industry arts (production, engineering, recording, management). Before that i did a 3 year business course. Its an interesting industry and the only way to look at it today is not as the music industry but as the entertainment industry. You have to be able to do it all now a days.

Rock has been slowly shifting out of the spot light, again. We had our rap trend,metal trend, eletronic/dance trend and emo trend. So the next trend should be interesting, and from what iv seen its going towards groups (not bands) like Black eyed peas and Ke$ha. If you really want to keep up to date on whats "hot" or selling, keep an eye on the billboard top 100. Those are the groups that have the ability to sell product today.

Personally im in a progressive rock band, which might never make it big, but i love playing the music and it really helps improve technical ability since were constantly pushing ourselves with time signatures and complexity.

oh and ftr, Moogs were awesome,haha
 luckyhot777s
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/6/2010 5:46:00 AM
Hey, lets start a band from members here, we can call it...." Iron Trash can"...lol
 aRandomHero
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2010 6:05:46 PM
I own a Zoom H4, its not studio quality, but its not bad for what it is. You can record in 44.1 or mp3 and a few options lower if you want to save room. It has a nice amount of features for recording live and through DI.
I use it to record live shows my band does and their not to bad. Its good for reference material, def worth while to invest in especially if your going to record directly into it just for riffs. it also has a 4 track
 Al Walton Music
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/18/2010 5:39:41 PM
I sing as well and write on impulse. I can lead or backround. Heres a demo of my vocals: www.myspace.com/takenotezpro
I want to put a Gospel group together who can relate to R&B harmony.
Peace and GOD Bless!
 Erota
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/19/2010 12:30:58 PM
I have been great friends for over 16 years with the lead singer of 3Doorsdown Brad Arnold.
He writes all the music and even drums when in session. He is most humble and I have picked his brain on numerous occasions, while he has given me insight on the demands of success and fame..I remember sitting in our 9th grade math class, and he would be writing and beating on his desk. That daydream turned into a dream real for millions who believe, sing along and you shall see. I took a walk, around the world to ease my troubled mind, and I lost my body lain somewhere in the sands of time...If I go crazy will you still call me superman..kryptonite ..yea!
 Erota
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/19/2010 12:56:35 PM
I like to think, I have potential
for inspiring millions with context simple
for why do so many band, fail upon their mission
A little bird, once he told, benefits of millions sold,
as he chirped, fame grew cold
possessed buy the curtain call,
soon he wished, trade it all,
for the simplistic kind of life,
color green no longer stronger
than the will of common men,
Its not my time, Im not going,
there a fear in me, but its not showing,
this could be the end of me
everything I have done,
but I wont run.
Its not my time,
are you sure
you want a world
not your own,
that tells who you are.
if the chance to dance with fame's decent,
beware of what you trade.,
if my friend could only pick,
he would trade with you in a lick.
 E_keys
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/21/2010 7:22:38 PM
There are musicians and musicians forums all over the place at every level. I agree that as a hobby it can rock already but you will get hobby results. I spent a day once with a couple dozen musicians from a music site, who'd collected to meet in NY. We played for each other in a park by day and in a bar by night. Our songs were funny, cool, interesting, some of us were bands, some of us sang pretty well, lots of us had charisma and stage presence.

Then one guy, who I hadn't known well since he wasn't as chatty online, stood up front and blew us out of the water. He wasn't playing fancier or harder stuff. He wasn't doing gymnastics with the voice. But the power that roared out of him, even singing and playing mellow, was incredible, orders of magnitude beyond us.

He was trained. He had been to music school, worked nights in two bands and playing out in piano bars. He wasn't godlike in real life. But professionals are professionals. So I'm with Lateef and others who say, if you want to go into the business, you'll never really be there unless you treat it like something you have to train for properly.

I love talking about songwriting, and if you start a thread on that (instead of hi I'm a songwriter, who else is?) I'll be all over it.

But hobby music has its element of shameless self promotion, and it's hard to get traction for that on POF. We're not supposed to post links, and if it sounds like we're trying to sell something or promote ourselves we can get deleted or banned.

PM me and I'll recommend a number of songwriter / recording websites though, and even so, there'll be dozens I missed.

Rock on!
 trebleclef50
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/26/2013 1:24:24 AM
I just happened upon this forum...your post made me laugh. You have a sense of humor about it.
 trebleclef50
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/26/2013 1:30:48 AM
You said it so well Lateef. Heed his advice. I am a singersongwriter who chose the road of a nursing career with music as my hobby so to speak. Wrongest decision I ever made. Lateef you should be charging for your advice. Very good.
 good guitar player
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2013 11:09:54 AM
Having been a sideman for years best I can say is be honest....seen to many singer songRIGHTERs who think the are gods gift, always right and angry the world has not yet recognized the 2nd comming of the John Dylan McCobain III. Having a song that goes GAD and on that goes ADG and a third that goes D A G with lyrics about how much you love/hate your GF does not make you Cole Porter. So before you risk it all be realistic get opinions from pros n strangers(crowds) your friends will never be honest enough. Giging will be the acid test. As was said earlier:You got to be in a place with others who want to make it. That post refered to CL in LA being full of talent. The difference is CL in philly is pathetic....took me months to find a bassist and drummer for a cover project, amazed we played Pigs 3 different 0nes, What is and What shound never be and Voodo Chile off the cuff.
 Erota
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/27/2013 2:43:25 PM
The Other Side

there was a time
when I was blind
now I can see
the other side

there was a time
when I was numb
now I can feel
what I've become

now I know
what they never told me
now I know
what they never showed me

now I know
I can finally see
now I know
the other side of me

I can finally see
I can finally see
I can finally see
the other side of me
 Albvs
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/27/2013 7:28:54 PM
I've done a little amateur recording. I'll say that multi-track projects are a little harder than you'd imagine them to be.

I had purchased some (what I thought) good equipment and Protools M-Powered to bring it all together. I think my take-away lesson from that initial attempt is that you need a good pre-amp for anything you're recording. In the absence of a pre-amp you're attempting to manipulate a track whose noise level is too much. By the time you've got several tracks layered and edited from a volume standpoint you'll have wished that you'd started with a louder source from each track.

So if you are thinking of collaborating on the Internet, keep this in mind.
 Albvs
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/27/2013 7:33:01 PM
i am here
and you are there
so much distance... unwanted
i remember
the day before we met
so many of my thoughts... unhaunted
silence... unbroken
promises... unspoken
arrangements... uninspired
your face... undesired

but this is now
and here we are
these miles between us are no friend of mine
i surrender
have your way with me
i need to hear your voice on my telephone line
voyages... unstarted
to islands... uncharted
pasts... untold
your mysteries... unfold

[chorus]
decisions... undecided
love... unrequited
attendance... uninvited
i long for your attention... undivided
no dogs
no phones
no distractions
no bills
just the thought of me...
on your mind
and nothing between us but the rapidly dwindling space between your lips...
and mine

can this be real
this you and i
what will your friends and family think of me
there's just no way
can we even try
what words to tell them so that they will see
accusations... ungrounded
fears... unfounded
alarms... unsounded
just love... unbounded

[repeat chorus]

so much distance... unwanted (these miles between us are no friend of mine)
can this be real (my thoughts and dreams... unhaunted)
i'd like to see you (like to hear you on my telephone line)
but i fear (dwindling space between your lips and mine)
there's just no way (a few dear minutes maybe of your time)
for our love (maybe we'll be there in the next lifetime)
and yet i'd like to pray for...

[repeat/fade]
your attention... undivided (my aim... confided)
my love... unrequited (your mind... undecided)
 BurningEyes
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2013 10:49:35 PM
I have over 4000 lyrics written, i am a drummer and lead singer and a published writer
 Yolandafu
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/31/2013 7:55:39 PM
http://www.CORPCREDITINC.COM/4507 getting funding for your business
 cesska
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2013 9:23:20 PM
read the poetry forums for song writers
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Any Singers and or Songwriters?