Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Would you keep having children if you had a genetic disease?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bmore_goat
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Would you keep having children if you had a genetic disease?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Read this story and it broke my heart.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/35180427/

Sad thing is, she has two older siblings with the same condition.

I would ask the group, if you knew a genetic disease ran through your family history, would you keep having children knowing there is a large chance of passing it on?
 Strider886
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Would you keep having children if you had a genetic disease?
Posted: 2/18/2010 12:58:13 AM
This is a bit like the age old "should people with downes syndrome be allowed to have children?" debate....
Firstly everyone has the right to have children, its basic human rights.
BUT.... people should think responsibly about the child they'll bringing into an oh so cruel world.

It's bad enough that there are women who set out to get pregnant just to jump on the benefits gravy train, or just because their siblings have a child and they want some of the attention.

You have to think and use better judgement, it's not about YOU it's about the child and I personally would not risk subjecting a child to that sort of life no matter how badly I may at the time want children.
 pantsonfire
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2010 1:05:58 AM
After reading up on this particular condition, it seems that is not often a disease that is overly obvious or life altering....

It is caused by a genetic malfunction which results in the premature breaking down of adipose tissue, the underlying fats which 'plump' us up and often presents itself as a pot belly, hirsutism and mild loosening of the overlying facial tissues, with a lack of fatty tissue on the extremities.... Looking at the images available on the Lipodystrophy site, it's rarely even noticeable... Very occasionally it may cause Diabetes Mellitus and even more rarely other forms of metabolic disease...

So, if that had been the prognosis given to me in respect of any possible future offspring alongside the odds of having a child with this disease (1 in 4), I think I may have risked it...

However, in regards to certain other genetic diseases, Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy for example, I would not 'keep having children' but I might attempt a pregnancy, knowing that I had the option of an early embryonic diagnosis (unavailable at present but we are talking metaphorically here) and the option of a medical abortion if the foetus proved to be afflicted with a disease that only had one possible outcome and a long road of pain (for the child) and heartache (for all) along the way..
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2010 3:17:29 AM
I wouldn't take the risk. Even if children born to me were uneffected who is to say that I would not pass on the defective gene and it would effect my kids kids.

I did think on what another poster said about screening but not sure if I would be able to abort a baby that I wanted and that was created in a loving relationship, although I would have no qualms about aborting a baby that I did not want, don't think I could so would make sure that option never reared it's head.

I would consider adopting or using a donor egg/sperm depending who carried the defective gene.
 pantsonfire
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2010 3:39:17 AM
I can understand people saying that they would never enter into having a child if they have a predisposition to genetic disorders, however, Cystic Fibrosis is a genetic disease, yet there are many sufferers who lead happy fulfilled (if shortened) lives...
In fact a friend of mine recently passed away at the age of 22 from CF and I can assure you she lived and loved every moment of her life and never regretted being born.. Meeting her and getting to know her changed my views considerably... I would no longer make a blanket judgement on anyone who chose to have children knowing full well that there was a risk of their baby having certain genetic faults...

I think there is a huge grey area where no one can definitively state that they would or would not consider having a baby that had a genetic problem, without first having to face up to the actuality of doing so...

My son has Vitiligo, both my children have Hyper Mobility Syndrome, these are both genetic faults.. Would I have chosen not to have them if I'd known beforehand that they would be afflicted with these problems? Not on your Nelly!! Do they wish they'd never been born? No!! Are their lives less fulfilling, less fun, less enjoyable than any other child's? Doubt it.. Would their problems fall into the general grouping, Genetic disorders? Definitely!! Are these children, suffering from this Lipodystrophy, living happy, healthy, fulfilling lives? More than likely.. At the very least I doubt they wished that they'd never been born... Should they have never been born, or even conceived?

So my answer remains the same... Yes probably, but it would depend on the specific condition, risk factors and probable outcome of each individual case...
 badge73
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2010 8:34:26 AM
i dont think we know enough at whats genetic and what is not? take for example mental illness, if you or the partner suffered from depression is that genetic, or like on the other thread addictions. i dont think that its just a blanket type answer but it shows what people should be thinking before they even think about having a child rather then leaving it to late.

off topic, panties just hope being a dingle is not genetic as that would be cruel for your kids
 try1more
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2010 10:02:00 AM
"It would totally depend on the genetic disease,the quality of life for the child would dictate my decision. It is not something I consider to be black and white.........what one person sees as 'quality' another would see as different. To bring a child into a life of pain would be a no no."

well said.
after all being born blonde is probably a genetic disorder
 cassie the kitten
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2010 2:30:50 PM
No, I wouldn't.
I have three children and the eldest has Crhon's Disease and although medical opinion is that it is not genetic, (even though it can run in families), he feels that he would not put a child of his through what he has had to go through. He was diagnosed at the age of twenty four and he has had it for over ten years. As it is a very painful condition and he has limited mobility, his quality of life is not as full as his siblings, but he rarely complains. I admire and understand his resolve in not having children and this has contributed to at least two relationships of his breaking down, but I mourn the fact that there will be no grandchild of his for me to love, selfish of me I know. Before his birth, there was no medical evidence of this disease in either mine or my husbands family so it has come completely out of nowhere. So I worry that my other two children will develop this disease and as both of them have already had children, I am concerned about my grandchildren too. If I had known that he would develop this disease before I had him, would I have still continued with the pregnancy? At the moment I would have, but ask me in ten years time, when I have had another ten years of watching my son struggle, and my answer may be different. Who knows, because I certainly don't.
 happybunny8
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/22/2011 9:06:11 AM

You have to think and use better judgement, it's not about YOU it's about the child and I personally would not risk subjecting a child to that sort of life no matter how badly I may at the time want children.

That's how I think. At one time in my 20's I did want children but I was always afraid that my kids would go through what I did as a young teen and honestly I don't think that's fair just because I want something.

I believe that the decision to have children is selfish. Once the children arrive, that's when it stops being selfish LOL.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Would you keep having children if you had a genetic disease?