Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > The Truth About the Olympics      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ubiquitous.
Msg: 2
view profile
History
The Truth About the OlympicsPage 1 of 1    
Of course they are. Tax payers are always 'legally responsible' for special interest programs government pours money into. That's all that big government is, anyway. One monumental conglomerate of special interests who've gained political power that enables them to force you to, the tax payer, to fund their paychecks rather than compete for your dollars in the marketplace.

Btw, I've been subscribed to Stefan's channel for quite some time. I love that guy. A real anarcho-capitalist/libertarian who knows shit sh*t.. one who has even more trust in the free market than I do. Twas quite the pleasure watching that video when he posted it yesterday.

I will add that his recent videos on Global Warming:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLWRkwOzBx4

On the free market:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElzNM5-LxyU

And his interview with a personal hero of mine (and MA Senator candidate whose campaign I've contributed to twice):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElzNM5-LxyU

...are all excellent videos as well! :D
 yna6
Msg: 3
The Truth About the Olympics
Posted: 2/18/2010 12:57:23 PM
Like the Montreal fiasco. They paid for years on it, and still wound up with collapsing roofs and a center that will have to be torn down long before it finally pays for itself.
As with any "sport", these people are not the "best" in the world. Many an "amateur" is better. But because of economic background, attitude, etc, etc, they are not able to participate.
Sure...they are a fun thing for many, and good entertainment, and a bit of a show for kids to look up to....and they can make money. Perhaps those few who wind up signing multi-million dollar deals should be paying a percent of it to the host cities in order to help pay off the burden.
 monalee1
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/18/2010 1:23:15 PM
hi.. I am still dealing with the fact that many athletes, if not all at this point, are not going on their natural abilities but rather on drug enhancements>>so much for keeping it real.. sort of takes the fun away ... the topper has to be that Mc Ds is the official ~restaurant~ of the olympics... gag... your point OP brings it to ad nauseum... blessings
 desertrhino
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2010 3:28:13 PM

the fact that many athletes, if not all at this point, are not going on their natural abilities but rather on drug enhancements

I'd love to see some corroborating evidence for this [s]assertion[/s]ridiculous claim.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/18/2010 3:48:13 PM
Actually, I would have actually liked to see a little thing called attribution in the video. All I saw was a bunch of numbers flashed up very quickly without any attribution for where they came from.

It's pretty much lesson #1 in journalism school. If you're going to post "facts," identify a source so people at least have the option of going out and checking the source for oneself. For all we know, he just made those numbers up.

As for the Olympics, well, I think they're based on a little higher ideal than just "kids playing in the snow." Not that I'd expect to see many of those criticizing the athletes put in the hours of practice, nor have the same singular focus on a goal. Easier to sit on our imagined thrones of self-importance and judge from on high.

*yawn*
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2010 4:19:53 PM
I'm one who thinks the Olympics are a good thing. The principle of striving for excellence through dedication, long hours of training, and sheer will to win is a fine model for all to emulate.

It's so easy to criticize those more capable than us. A friend refers to this as the 'crab trap principle'. Apparently any crab savvy enough to try to escape a trap is often pulled back in by the other crabs. Likewise there seems to be an element in human nature that motivates us to try to drag down those among us who rise above the norm.

As one who has participated in various athletic endeavors over the years, although never at anything near Olympic levels, I admire those who do make the sacrifices and fine tune their skills to such a high level.

Dave
 yna6
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/19/2010 5:47:00 AM
I realize that pros are not supposed to be in the Olympics...I meant
amateurs" in comparison to those who DO get to compete in the Olympics. (Also...if it is supposed to be amateurs only, how come it is a 'cherry-picked" team for hockey?)

Sure the gov't supports them some...families who can afford to will chip in, etc, etc....now, lets take an inner city kid who can outrun anyone, who has no interest other than getting home safe. Faster than an "olympian", but totally ignored.

SPorts is like that. In Missisauga there was a golfer...the guy was PGA material, except for his attitude. He had no trouble telling you to bugger off. The guy was THE acknowledged player, even by the PGA....but they refused to allow him to play. Are they the "best in the world"? NOpe...apparently not.

Lots of "amateurs" who go unrecognized because of their social-economic areas. It runs across society. We leave the "smart kid" in the ghetto, and subsidize the one who is pretty good in sports...but hasn't got the same intelligence. Gov't funded education would probably go a lot further with the one rather than the other...but that isn't the way it works!

Why? $$$. Does a "smart kid" who gets job pay near the tax that, say, an NBA player does? Probably not....so the returns in taxation alone makes it more economically feasible to subsidize the sports monded rather than those who have more actual intelligence.
 himynameisSarah
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/19/2010 6:15:02 AM
Rich people, ya da ya da... Let them have their fun. Don't feed into it, and don't aspire to be it. I'm sure not every Olympian is rich. There has to be a few of those little heart warming stories going on.
I had never thought of the Olympics as being funded by taxpayers. I like the gymnasts, ice skaters, and freaking Shaun white is awesome. It's not his fault he's rich. People need to realize that money isn't everything, and being jealous/insecure about it isn't going to change a damn thing. We have to rise above, stop supporting them... the revolution is coming; it's just a matter of time.
I mean, I took lessons growing up and I was never "rich". My mom spent a good chunk of her paycheck sending me to dance, gymnastics, etc... I'm sure there are other kids who started out the same way, and if they didn't, who gives a ****. They are talented, there's no denying it. However, it is seriously screwed up that "old Olympic" stuff gets privatized after being bought w/ tax payer money. The way the Olympics bring in money is through "tourist" dollars. The hotels fill up, gas stations get more business, etc. That guy didn't mention the revenue created from this.
I am way too hungover to make a good argument today, but this is the way I see it. :)
 60to70
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/19/2010 10:52:52 PM
The truth about the Olympics is that they are very boring. Especially if you understand who takes part as athletes. Who cares..at least here in the heart of...North America. Who the heck wants to watch a bunch of privileged whatevers going for the gold? Yawn. Anyways who remembers who they were? In any of the competitions. I do like the summaries afterwards. You can then pick up on somebody who really is deserving of the title of an Olympian hero. Not many, for sure. Anybody who can suspend facing mundane reality is not worth celebrating. Somebody has to feed the children and keep this whole scenario going. And it ain't no Olympic "hero." Their feed is temporary and sustains nothing. They are like the last hit that was a movie or rock song. Yawn.
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2010 3:51:35 AM

now, lets take an inner city kid who can outrun anyone, who has no interest other than getting home safe. Faster than an "olympian", but totally ignored.

OMG!

We leave the "smart kid" in the ghetto, and subsidize the one who is pretty good in sports...but hasn't got the same intelligence.

Jimmy the Greek must be rolling in his grave right now. Truly mind numbing.
 Strings6
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2010 6:35:31 PM
The "truth" about the Olympics is that it's showbusiness and nothing more.
 Cebrhocabi
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/20/2010 10:23:46 PM
I never watch the Olympics--it's dull dull dull. If I watched a lot of tv, I'd likely be annoyed every four years (or is it two?) because what ever show I was going to watch got preempted by the Olympics. I get annoyed if CSI gets cut because the station thought it was more important to air a Red Sox game. What really pisses me off is the newspaper dedicating a third of the newsprint to sports. They call it the Sports Section. There are magazines for sports. Sports doesn't belong in the newspaper. Newspapers are for news, and not for games you're suppose to stop caring about once you exit high-school. Tiger Woods was on the front page today. Why? Why would anyone care what some guy who hits a little ball around the lawn has to say? That's not news and doesn't belong in the newspaper. And now, all week long there has been a special section for the Olympics. I throw that part in the trash; just like I do the sports section.

Do I think the tax-payer should foot the bill for the Olympics? Of course not.
 Cebrhocabi
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/21/2010 10:13:19 AM

Sounds like someone was always picked last for dodgeball.

I played sports in high-school and was very good at it. Before that, when I was much younger, I took a perverse pleasure in playing dodge-ball. I was always picked first because no one wanted to be on the receiving end of one of my throws.

Or maybe I misunderstood, and you actually like sports but object to news about it being disseminated through a device dedicated to delivering news or entertainment......

I don't like watching other people play sports. Very dull. And yes, news is news. Sports is something else.

Tax money should not be spent on sports for adults--that includes building stadiums for the rich team owners. I once owned a store and the government never offered to build it for me, even though that store was beneficial to more people than just me. Tax money spent on school sports, however, is okay in my book.
 yna6
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/21/2010 6:18:50 PM
No doubt, when run right, they can make a community a bundle! Also the "left-over" complexes are great for local to use.
I saw someplace that built an Olympic village...housing for the athletes and coaches, etc, then, used it for low income housing afterwards. That seems like a great idea!
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > The Truth About the Olympics