Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > In public, Should you out some one you have seen on POF?.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 paulmag
Msg: 1
In public, Should you out some one you have seen on POF?.Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I have been chatting with a few people on here who will not post a picture because they are worried that they might be recognised in public.They both work in Banks and are afraid that they might be recognised due to their exposure to the public. I myself would never approach another person whom I have recognised as having a profile on POF. If I was interested in that person I may contact them later through IM. I am curious as to what the opinion is out there on this topic.
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 2
view profile
History
In public, Should you out some one you have seen on POF?.
Posted: 2/19/2010 4:45:07 PM
IMO.. that's just a lame excuse for something else that they're not willing to actually reveal. If they are recognized by someone from POF, then that means that other person is also on PoF.. so, why would they even care? On-line dating doesn't have near the negative stigma that it once had..

If they're so fearful of being recognized then they shouldn't have a FB profile with photos or any other www connection with photos either. JMO..

Another gent sent me a message on facebook asking if I was on POF... I don't like that.
I wouldn't like that either.. that's being intrusive and presumptuous.. I'd adjust my privacy settings there .. a suggestion..
 Firmbear8
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/19/2010 8:27:52 PM
I get noticed all the time when I am out and someone from pof see's me some place.
And they always know who I am cause I make sure my pictures are recent ones .
And online most won't even give me the time of day!
Yet when they see me at the mall or a store somewhere they sure have tooo go out of their way and come say hi !
I don't understand why on line they won't say hi yet in person they have too for some reason
 DivineBovine
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2010 8:27:57 AM
syllie and i were out shopping once a couple of years ago and someone recognized her!

when i was at the Wine Show last month, a woman sat down at my table that i recognized from previous local parties.

in a smaller centre like London, i expect it to happen. if i was still in Ottawa, with a million people around, no, i wouldn't expect it to happen.
 paulmag
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/20/2010 8:33:49 PM
Wooooosh,that went right pass me..lol..Enlighten me..I dont get it.
 paulmag
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/20/2010 8:37:58 PM
One of the persons i was chatting with had a guy recognise her from a previous dating site she was on. He didnt out her at her place of employment but did contact her on the site, harrasing her, as she said, it got a little creepy.Things like I saw you today, saw you going to lunch on a different occasion,more like stalking.
 ~Mamasan~
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/22/2010 11:09:05 AM
OP: I don't think it's a bad thing if you run into someone in public that is on POF to politely introduce yourself & say something like hey have I seen you around the forums etc...They will either have no idea what you are talking about to which you can they say ya know POF, OR you could just come out & say it first instead of them guessing what the forums are....Providing they are all by themselves & you don't approach them like you are crazed to get to know them more, really what's the difference from meeting someone previously at a bar or something? If you have interest I say get er done, you only live life once right?
 Celticmist
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/22/2010 8:29:20 PM
Oh even in Ottawa you run across people you have met in POF events, or have seen online. It really shouldn't be a big deal.

I am not now, nor have I ever been, ashamed of trying to make some friends and meet someone special through POF, especially since it worked for me. I am one of those people who goes "Yay for POF! "

I still like going to events, and introducing people I know to each other. If people are shy about people knowing they are on here, I respect that and do not mention it at other venues.
 happygal_28
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2010 10:15:39 PM
Although very tempting to say hi in the "real world", better judgement says no. Both me and a male friend actually did a double take in the mall a couple of years ago, obviously happy at the recognition, yet reserved. It was a good thing. We had IM'd and enjoyed our chats but on a deeper level knew it wasn't going farther than that. It saved an awkward moment at the time and I had alot of respect for him after that for honouring my privacy. To this day I still think he's a great guy just for that!
 MsCharla
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/21/2010 12:29:44 PM
hey everyone , undiscovered i agree ! This is 2010 online dating isnt a big deal today .. just look at the # of members here !
i have been co hosting and hosting events and always have recent pics up. i get recognized all the time . my feeling is if they see me online they are also online looking so the chance of someone seeing them is there too.
I will not answer messages from people without a pic ..i dont care what their excuse is .
happy fishing all
 aGent Lemon
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2010 7:46:54 AM
In the sakes of justice, I will always respect people's privacy... however... what does sort of bothers me is when I get asked to lie about how we met. Not that I would blurt out it was while we were on POF or even just through the internet for that matter, but will volunteerily let it be known that she and I agreed not to say.
 Rivah
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/17/2010 7:59:05 AM
In considering an answer, I flipped the question. Would I want someone outing me in public? Not really. I am not hiding being on POF, but at the same time it is my choice whom I tell. So, I would not identify the person as a POF member to others present in their circle or mine. Depending on the situation, I might say "hi" to a fellow POF'er in a private or confidential way, or I might just say "hi" online sometime instead.
 BFLP
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/23/2010 1:38:19 AM
ok question was outing someone so i guess that is like outing a gay person means annoucing to others about them being on pof whether you do it when they are present or not and my answer is no i wouldnt but on the other hand if i saw someone on the street or in public i wouldnt hestitate to discretely say hello i have seen you on pof and maybe have same chat we would if we met for coffee heck reason were here is to meet and talk to others at very least
 Mae B
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/31/2010 12:46:21 PM
I have had countless people recognize me from POF.. about the only time I do not handle it well is if I'm out with my kids. It's not the fact I'm being pegged for being on here, it's the fact I don't like being hit on when I have the kids with me.
Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > In public, Should you out some one you have seen on POF?.