Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Mental Relaxation      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kpooks
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Mental RelaxationPage 1 of 1    
What do you all do to "come down" from life's stress and the stress of an intense workout? Sex helps, of course, but I mean REALLY relax. Yoga? Meditation?

"Healthy mind, healthy body, dog." -Gyro, Mad Max 2-The Road Warrior"
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 2
Mental Relaxation
Posted: 2/22/2010 10:23:37 AM

What do you all do to "come down" from life's stress...

First step in eliminating stress in ones life is not recognizing insignificant things as stuff that causes stress, ie - Gaining a better sense of perspective.

...and the stress of an intense workout?

For me that would be a oposite, as an intense workout for me is a stress reliever not causer.

Sex helps, of course, but I mean REALLY relax. Yoga? Meditation?

Do not knock it until you try it.
 metalpalace
Msg: 3
Mental Relaxation
Posted: 2/22/2010 11:08:46 AM
Read a good book, exercise, Yoga is wonderful... I made a video the other day of a simple technique I practice randomly that really helps to Quiet my mind before a workout or any other time of day I want to quiet my mind http://www.facebook.com/v/10150094048355183
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 4
Mental Relaxation
Posted: 2/22/2010 11:32:40 AM
Cardio and weight training kill stress for me, but nothing beats a low impact yoga session or one of those classes geared specifically to stretch from head to toe and a trip to the sauna for the real ahhhh moment! Taking hot baths and drinking tea right before bed for some reason works well too. Makes me sleep like a rock.
 Sketchness
Msg: 5
Mental Relaxation
Posted: 2/22/2010 7:16:46 PM
I would have to agree with Franknstein for me a workout is how I deal with stress.

For those issues that take up to much space in my head, I just step back and think what do I have that needs handled right this second. The answer is usually nothing. I am usually stressing on something next week or next month or worse something I have no control over. I am slowly learning to just let that stuff go.
 Alli_oop
Msg: 6
Mental Relaxation
Posted: 2/23/2010 2:04:50 PM
i found crocheting of all things to be quite meditative. very relaxing. it's like i'd just slip into barely noticing anything around me except the music i had on.
 arwen52
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Mental Relaxation
Posted: 2/24/2010 11:28:24 AM
Dance. Play music. Soak in a hot bath. Get a massage.
 Jono_1986
Msg: 8
Mental Relaxation
Posted: 3/3/2010 2:21:44 AM
Go for a drive, get out of the city hit a nice hilly road with plenty of corners & listen to some music along the way. I actually find working out pretty relaxing, well helps you unwind from a stressful day as the only thing I am focusing on is whether or not I am going to drop a 82kg bar on my chest rather then everything else plaguing my life at the current point in time.

Other then that sitting around chilling talking to mates maybe a couple of beers and a few games of pool. Fishing is also good.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 9
Mental Relaxation
Posted: 3/3/2010 5:55:34 PM
meditation and exercise.
The 1st is good for stress.
The 2nd is good if the first doesn't help and I still need to kick some ass.
:-P
 mibra
Msg: 10
Mental Relaxation
Posted: 3/3/2010 8:12:23 PM
Usually I do Yoga or painting for mental relaxation.
 GoogleFreak1969
Msg: 11
Mental Relaxation
Posted: 3/4/2010 4:46:17 AM
Try watching the sunrise it is very relaxing, of course meditation is best way to relax.
 kpooks
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Mental Relaxation
Posted: 3/4/2010 11:31:12 AM
Great advice, guys. I do great, actually, when I'm in my own zone. Inviting OTHERS into that zone, now that's been the problem for me. Guess I gotta know when to tune out others and say "this is ME time". We all need social stimulation. But there comes a time when it's draining.
 mibra
Msg: 13
Mental Relaxation
Posted: 3/4/2010 11:48:31 AM

Guess I gotta know when to tune out others and say "this is ME time". We all need social stimulation. But there comes a time when it's draining.

I just lock my door, unplug the phone, turn off my cell and do whatever I like ... watch my fishes, write something, paint something and do yoga with some nice music etc.
People will be fine if they can not reach you temporarily... I have a fixed schedule for the MEtime so my families and friends know they wouldn't be able to reach me at that time.
 JWG86
Msg: 14
Mental Relaxation
Posted: 3/5/2010 9:30:43 PM
I enjoy going shooting. Seriously. It relaxes me. Then taking everything down and cleaning it. It is a task that centers me and helps me find focus. Mechanical, ruitine, fixed, consistant. Breaking down an AR or a SIG or anything else is to me what going through the beads on a Rosary are to some.

That and lifting weights. Pumping iron is also an activity that centers me. Heck, anything that is familiar and ruitine centers me. I used to find peace mowing my grandparents lawn as a teenager.
 mibra
Msg: 15
Mental Relaxation
Posted: 3/5/2010 9:59:54 PM

I enjoy going shooting. Seriously. It relaxes me. Then taking everything down and cleaning it. It is a task that centers me and helps me find focus. Mechanical, ruitine, fixed, consistant. Breaking down an AR or a SIG or anything else is to me what going through the beads on a Rosary are to some.

That and lifting weights. Pumping iron is also an activity that centers me. Heck, anything that is familiar and ruitine centers me. I used to find peace mowing my grandparents lawn as a teenager.

Ya all these can help.... It depends on the personalities... Things that can get you concentrated on it and ignore other things happening.... they are all good for relaxation
 Outdoor2
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Mental Relaxation
Posted: 3/5/2010 11:31:59 PM

...get out of the city....

Ya....permanently....if possible. Noise and air pollution in cities contribute significantly because they already stress the brain and body.

Working out is great...working out outside is even better...

I live a pretty stress free life by simply not letting the stress "get to me"....I let it roll like water off a ducks back...as the old saying goes...
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Mental Relaxation