Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Reaching a new trend in music?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aRandomHero
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Reaching a new trend in music?Page 1 of 1    
the trends of today can be seen really clearly on the billboard top 100. Its all groups and not bands, like Black eyed peas and Ke$ha. The masses have moved away from bands and more into hiphop and dance. Billboard is a good way to see whos selling the most product in todays trends.

When you go back far enough, everything is a mixture of past trends. Jazz and blues influenced hiphop and rock and roll, which in turn just took more influences and made it into glam rock and metal. (with a lot in between obviously)

Its hard to be an innovator in a world where most music has been done before. The music industry has reached a saturation point and is probably going to make a major shift in the near future. Especially since record labels are slowly dieing off and killing artists chances of making money by enforcing insane copyright laws through 3rd party companies who know nothing about the industry.
 Twill348
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Reaching a new trend in music?
Posted: 3/5/2010 8:20:23 PM
"if something like lady gaga can sell records, there isn't much future for creativity.... "

Lady Gaga ROCKS!!

Contemporize, dude! Her album is very, very good.
 Twill348
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2010 8:36:15 PM
Trends I see:

The women have it, they have it waxed, wrapped up, in the bank, whatever. I bought my first CD by a guy in ages tonight, and I thought it was a woman! (Passion Pit, very, very good). And I heard it at Barnes and Noble.

The new artists, and producers, have grown up with electronic sounds, and can now incorporate those sounds inot their music without it sounding "electronic". Katey Perry's album is a good example, all kinds of effects, but it's still good music. The attention to detail is amazing. Same with Lady Gaga. Peaches latest is awsome as well.

The new sound came together for me, while I was watching the tv show "Las Vegas". They always had a band on, and it was very instructive. Big sound, big production, is the new thing.

It's easier for artists to hook up. Brandi Carlisle hooked up with Elton John, and more importantly, Elton Johns arranger. Big improvement for her.

A bad trend, rip-off mp'3s. At lossless prices, too.
 aRandomHero
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2010 3:00:25 PM
yeah thats true, billboard just shows you whats most commercially successful at the time. The media really controls what is seen as "big" thats why i listen to satellite radio, way better options for music.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Reaching a new trend in music?