Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ohio  > Where do the upscale Penn-Ohio singles hide out?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NotNative
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Where do the upscale Penn-Ohio singles hide out?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Seriously. Where do the upscale Penn-Ohio singles hide out? Or aren't there any singles like that here in Shenango and Mahoning Valleys? All I ever meet here are trashy lower socioeconomic people with no assets, and they all just sleep around pathetically, like that's their biggest thrill in life. That and get a tattoo and ride a Harley. Or futz with the lawn some more. So, where do you do here to meet the better educated and the more affluent singles here? You know, the NORMAL people!! College grads, the professionals, the dual career people who raised children who have now moved to the larger cities where they have an actual chance of having some quality of life instead of becoming the next generation of mill town poverty twits with a G.E.D. and a mill slave's life.

When I moved here, I hoped to eventually run into some people like me who are Done with a capital D regarding that plodding mundane small town family life, have their debts paid, their kids launched, have an IQ over 140, etc, etc. And are looking for a mate to settle down and make some money with, not a retiree, not another round of family life, not another frickin' dependent. Or did all of those people bail out because they are tired of the trash bedhoppers, simpletons, poverty, and all the rest of this seedy dump?
 ~~Jackie~~
Msg: 2
Where do the upscale Penn-Ohio singles hide out?
Posted: 2/26/2010 7:45:40 AM
Good luck with finding what you're looking for by posting this and your negative, holier than thou profile!

Seriously-- why don't you just move back to where you came from? Or were the people there just as low-life as you seem to think of everyone here?

Build yourself an ivory tower complete with moats and dragons to keep away the scum. Move in and burn the draw bridge so that the rest of society won't have to worry about you changing your mind and reappearing.

TJ7
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/26/2010 8:02:08 AM
Oh wow .......... coming on a forum and trashing real, normal people is the PERfect way to make friends who actually enjoy hanging around with you....

If you take a deep look at the college grads, professionals, dual career people........I bet you will find that they have tattoos and Harleys and actually ENJOY life to its fullest - rather then being a snob and an idiot like you portrayed yourself to be.

If you don't like small-town "real down-to-Earth" people, then move to a more eclectic, diverse larger city where you can lose yourself amongst all the different types of people you can find - similar to yourself.

This was quite an interesting and amuzing read......Shall we say TROLL!!!!
 climbsagain
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/26/2010 8:05:33 AM
This was quite an interesting and amuzing read......Shall we say TROLL!!!!

Perhaps this person posting this is just a Troll. Question is what does that make of people that repsond to a Troll defending some ideal of their own?
 MissElaineESJones
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/26/2010 8:10:16 AM
Jackie, I see your point on this, but in some ways, I do identify with this lady. It is so difficult to find people who are interested in more things than just who has won the last football game or when the next party is going to be. Of course, the last thing to do is cop a superior attitude about it, but sometimes I, too, just long to find somebody who asks big questions and talks about things beyond the mundane sphere of everyday human existence.

I've even tried to think of ways to draw people out of the crowd for somewhat of a more refined, if you will, discussions and activities. Not to be better than other people, but just a different tone of interest. The symphony. Opera. Art. Wine Tasting. I've experienced this mode of living when I have traveled and it is something I'd like to have at home as well.

So, OP, don't be so discouraged. Change to a positive attitude, especially on your profile, and hopefully, all of those things will be drawn to you. If not, you have it within yourself to enjoy!
 ~~Jackie~~
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/26/2010 8:23:04 AM

Perhaps this person posting this is just a Troll. Question is what does that make of people that repsond to a Troll defending some ideal of their own?

It isn't necessary to "defend some ideal of their own" unless that "ideal" has come under attack. She posted a thread with her only intent being to insult and trash an entire area. Her address is in "PA" but, she chose to post this in the "OHIO" threads and specifically point her insulting words at us (1st words of the OP):

Seriously. Where do the upscale Penn-Ohio singles hide out?

So- what does that make of people that respond? It makes us intolerant of people that are so stupid they think they can throw rocks at strangers’ windows and expect the owners of the house to thank them!

Jackie, I see your point on this, but in some ways, I do identify with this lady…
I've even tried to think of ways to draw people out of the crowd for somewhat of a more refined, if you will, discussions and activities. Not to be better than other people, but just a different tone of interest. The symphony. Opera. Art. Wine Tasting. I've experienced this mode of living when I have traveled and it is something I'd like to have at home as well.

You could never identify with someone like this. There isn’t an insulting or rude bone in your body! And all you have to do is ask and I (and others) would love to go do some of those things! I like to do these things, too!
 climbsagain
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/26/2010 8:34:34 AM
So- what does that make of people that respond? It makes us intolerant of people that are so stupid they think they can throw rocks at strangers’ windows and expect the owners of the house to thank them!

Ignore the post and let the post slide to the basement of the Ohio threads where the thread belongs ? This is an idea that seems to get overlooked often!
 NotNative
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2010 6:57:25 AM
No. It was a dead serious post. I am tired of meeting stupid and trashy people. I have my finances and my act together. I am not looking for poverty, tattoos, Harleys, mill workers, bums, or small town mommy life. I left that behind years ago. As I stated elsewhere, some of us have degrees, money in the bank, other assets, either no children or the children successfully launched, no debts, and *want to meet others like ourselves* (which ups the odds of having a successful relationship), instead of used-up bedhopping, alcoholic, 4-time losers. As for the standards of grooming in this locale, hey, look at the NASCAR guys. Do the men here bother to clean up, shave, and dress that well before showing up for a date? No, not in my experience. You don't even see them spiffed up for their photos here. I don't see any middle to upper-middle-class singles photos in this locale's pool, as a rule. That's why I asked the question.

Tatts are folly, as far as I am concerned. There are no standards for the dyes and pigments in them. Having been educated to a higher degree than the typical Shenango Valley housewife, I think there's a better than average chance of some Chinese-made component to contain heavy metal or some other toxic thing. Your skin is your body's largest organ. Why would you want it injected with unregulated substances? Imports have given us melamine contaminated pet foods, radioactive iron and steel scrap, lead glazes on dishes and cookware, and cadmium in toys. FVCKIN' inject your body with it if you like. I'll look out for my own skin, thanks.

Perhaps the Shenango and Mahoning Valleys and Lawrence/Mercer/Crawford counties need to take a look at how the rest of the nation managed to move forward, while they were still sitting in bars waiting for the steel mills to come back.

As for people to hang out with, that's why I listed the interests in my profile. I have yet to meet any women who do much of anything besides work and go home to family. I see few married couples who actually do activities together. It's usually mom and the kids, and dad off doing whatever he does without the family. The men here, dating them is like high school: The women who put out, go out. Well, why should I be surprised, considering that a high school diploma or a GED is all they have.

Really, you people should take a good hard look at your communities and just how far they have slid over the past 30 years. You people have a real blind side. If poverty and crime and trash lifestyle values are what you like, great. You'll be having plenty more of that in the upcoming years.
 Smiling-Again!
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2010 10:32:40 AM
You don't even see them spiffed up for their photos here.

Love your photo
 His Holiness THE CEO
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2010 4:56:48 PM
Hey Bubba, This here chick wants ta knough wear them rich folks with the e-lectric lites and indoor plummin hang out. Well I reckin she even has dem quilted a$$ sheets ya see on the teevee.
 BeachBarBandit
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/19/2010 5:53:17 PM
Wow !! Had to respond to this one and I don’t know where to begin. I could sit here and write a book in response to this original post. I was born and raised in the Shenango/Mahoning Valley, so I am very familiar with the culture in the area. My grandfather and his three brothers all worked in the Youngstown steel mills before serving their country in Europe during WWII , they were the original “Band of Brothers” !! All four of them served and my grandfather was the only one that didn’t make it back. It was the blood, sweat and tears of these men spread all over the European theater that helped make our country great and had garnered them the reputation of the greatest generation ever. I am proud of my heritage and the foundation laid by my grandfathers, and they would be proud of me as I work in, yes a mill, and raising my autistic son on my own. I operate equipment that cost literally millions to design and build, and contain tens of thousands of dollars of sophisticated computer controlled electronic drives that hold thousands of lines of machine code to control the X-Y-Z coordinates of multiple machining spindles. I earn a good salary and health care that is second to none, my company employs hundreds of people with facilities in four states and Canada. Our products are shipped around the globe. I also have a professional business license and work a second job with one of the largest privately held real estate companies in the nation. I also have a college degree and professional certifications as well. Right here in the Youngstown area, I enjoy the Youngstown Symphony at the Dyor Performing Arts Center, classic art at the Butler Institute of Art and some fabulous locally produced wine at Masropietro Winery. The woman that I have been dating recently ("A Funny thing Happened" in Dating and Advice forum) comes from a blue collar family and now has a professional job and a Master’s degree. We are not as podunk and backwards country as you believe. I regularly socialize with people in this valley who have advanced degrees and great careers, many of whom own businesses and live rather lavish lifestyles. This is a great area with great people and I have no desire to live anywhere else !!
 Artist1021
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/20/2010 3:26:48 PM
Bravo! BeachBarBandit!!!! What an eloquent post...and people wonder why they cannot find a suitable mate lol.....if the original poster doesn't think the people in the area are for her.....that's one thing...but to show such disrespect for others she has not even met... for one that seems to think she is above most on this site....good luck ....to the man that dates this enlightened individual.PS. Nothing wrong with wanting a certain type of person, physically, within a certain economic bracket, you just don't have to trash all that don't measure up.
 DesertFox3
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2010 1:03:23 AM
......& she listens to NPR too... my type of woman!

And you thought I was cynical a few years back! ??!!
 climbsagain
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/21/2010 3:49:03 AM
desertfox3 wrote

^^^^^^^^^And you thought I was cynical a few years back! ??!! ^^^

Really? When did this start? Never really thought of you as cynical? In fact...............I think everyone else is really cynical.

As for upscale in Ohio.........whats that all about? Upsacle moved west with her best friend Money many years ago!
 DesertFox3
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2010 10:38:24 AM

As for upscale in Ohio.........whats that all about? Upsacle moved west with her best friend Money many years ago!

Unless that was an excersice in venting her frustrations, she should make tracks to follow it.

Upscale is really nothing more than few gold plated (or needless) accessories attached to a basic product & 'marketed' as 'upscale' at 2-3x the price... & forcing the general public with the feeling to be in the 'status quo' to keep up with it. Kind of what the 'yuppies' were doing in the 80's!

That is played a big part of what collapsed the economy a few years back.
 Mr.RJ
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/26/2010 9:36:45 PM
My wife and I met here at POF. Even though we both have degrees (Hers in Business and mine in Computer Science) neither of us look down on others less fortunate. Perhaps your feelings of superiority have mislead you into believing that you are something you are obviously not. It doesn't suprise me that you can't find someone. I am sure some gentleman somewhere would be quite elated to keep your company for a short time. Of course it would most likely end in the poor gentlemens suiside. So this is why some men become alcoholics.
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2010 6:46:39 AM
Gosh, I dunno...I just Googled "find single rich men" and turned up hundreds upon hundreds of sites where YOUR exact match would likely be hanging out. It's just a guess mind you (but then again, my IQ is in excess of 150; so I'm sure you have some stereotype for us too); but I'd think one of your caliber would have recognized before hitting the "submit" button on the profile page....that "fishing" is most definitely a low-class leisure time activity. (As defined by any socioeconomic measure; VALS )

Offhand, if memory serves me correctly, according to those VALS (values, attitudes and lifestyle measurements) you, dear OP would fall into the "lower middle class, or middle middle class" group.

Lower middle, and middle middle class folks are obsessively preoccupied with class distinctions due to their insecurity about the possibility of perhaps being mistaken as a member of the "working class". (Those are NEWLY attained middle class statuses..NOT 2nd and subsequent generations). Less than 2% of all Americans ever move more than 2 "social class" position from the one into which they were born.

LOL! listen up here people....this is right out of the Consumer Psychology text book I used in college! (as a Sociology major, Economics minor) Due to organized labor, fair wage laws, etc the "working class" was added to the "traditional" 9 socioeconomic "classes". Because the "working class" can, and often DOES have a higher earning capacity than do the lower and middle managers who typically make up the lower and middle middle class.

To avoid being mistaken as a member of the "working class", these folks fixate on their "leisure time activities" and "brand snobbery". For example, bowling is replaced by paint ball. Camping is replaced by jet skiing. Hence the 1980s term "Yuppie" came into existence (Young Urban Professional) LOL! Of course, 100% of these people were spawned by....working class PARENTS! Had the parents been otherwise, their children would have lacked the "attitudes and values" which exemplify "yuppie".

The good news is, that within 1-2 generations the arrogance begins to disappear. The children and grandchildren become quite comfortable and accustomed to the lifestyle that their insecure elders have fought so vehemently to protect....LOL! and generally....REBEL!

:-) I REALLY enjoyed that particular class! It was amazing the accuracy with which marketing experts have managed to define "social class". LOL! It was a great thing that I'm one of those secure "working class" folks, because I'd arrive for class (after work) still in my dirty jeans, steel toed work boots...and my hard hat hairdo!!! One day, the light bulb comes on in my head...and I asked the professor: "So, since I already earn the 6 figure income...when I get my BS degree, and I replace all the Better Homes and Gardens magazines with "Upscale"...which by the way HAVE to be laying on the floor....NOT on a table (on the table is low class) WHAT are my chances of elevating my "social classification" by 2 positions....WITHOUT learning to play golf?" LOL!, well....the glares from other students could have melted several icebergs! :-) My prof smiled and proceeded to offer a personal example. It seems that his parents were working class, father worked in a steel mill in Pa.; his mother worked in the cafeteria at a hospital, but they put 2 children through college. The Professor's sister had married a hard working young man with a BA in Business....who because of his brilliance was accepted at Harvard to work on his Masters degree. Once he'd achieved that and began job hunting, he was surprised to find that the MOST prevalent "qualification" prospective employers were interested in....was his GOLF GAME! Apparently the young man finally landed a good job, but one of the condtions of his employment was, that he had to join the Country Club...and he had to hire a golf pro to teach him to golf. Apparently 70-80% of this firms "business" was conducted on the golf course...and his golf handicap was much more important than his IQ.
 SilverIon
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2010 7:05:57 AM
Maybe she should just try the Millionaire matchmaker that is on TV. That way she wouldn't have to look for anyone, they would just call her and set up dates.
 surfergrlfly
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/27/2010 7:27:55 AM
[Perhaps the Shenango and Mahoning Valleys and Lawrence/Mercer/Crawford counties need to take a look at how the rest of the nation managed to move forward, while they were still sitting in bars waiting for the steel mills to come back.]

OP, maybe these good folks can't find jobs...do u follow the news? Do u know what is going on in our country today? Many of the Steel Mills have closed and moved overseas where labor and steel production is less expensive. ... Unemployment rate in this country is 9.7% last time I checked. Many highly educated, hard working people have lost their jobs.

You live in an area where people proudly work in factories and mills, you do not live in a major metropolitan area...

You said u were looking for a "Yuppie" in your profile....get REAL...I haven't heard that term used since the 80's and the economic boom brought about by President Reagan's cut taxes, cut spending policies...

Good luck...the 80's are OVER!! OP, be more accepting and open minded to the good people around u, develop a positive attitude...you won't meet anyone with the way you worded your profile....
 whatacrok
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/27/2010 8:26:39 AM
To each his/her own ... some people will come to regret some of
their behavior, some don't know any better, some will learn to
know better, some won't, some enjoy what you do not.

To judge what the OP has not yet learned is futal.

Life is a great teacher ... taking hold of some of the lessons on the
other hand, is a challenge for most people (including myself).

So sorry for your unhappiness at the moment with the condition of
the people who are in this daily life. Hopefully, you will soon meet
someone who falls into the catagories that you have structured.

I have found that designing and engineering the human race leaves out
some of the most profound gifts ...

I have also found that not helping one another and/or not being
willing to grow has let us become a very fearful society.

Can we just learn how to "really love" again, or what!!!!

A final word ...
Good heavens, all of us "think" we want the perfect little world of higher
education, golden spoons, perfect little children who never fail, a perfect
husband/wife, not to forget that fence that I have always wanted, but the
truth lies in the integrity of those folks who are beautiful without being
so "fortunate" (if you prefer to call it that). Just show me one person who
is eternally happy with their perfectly designed life and I will show you a
perfectionist getting therapy on a weekly basis ...
 whatacrok
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/27/2010 8:34:46 AM
Sorry for the double post, I have just looked at your profile ...

All I can say is been there, done that lifestyle to an extent
and I am soooooooo happy that the Good Lord delivered some
unexpected life experiences to me. It has made a profound change
in me as a person.

Thanks for the learning lesson ... I never knew a man wanted me for
my antique furniture ... I don't have any ... NOW I know why I have
no man in my life (at least not a REAL one!)
 DesertFox3
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2010 11:12:08 AM

You said u were looking for a "Yuppie" in your profile....get REAL...I haven't heard that term used since the 80's and the economic boom brought about by President Reagan's cut taxes, cut spending policies...

Good luck...the 80's are OVER!! OP, be more accepting and open minded to the good people around u, develop a positive attitude...you won't meet anyone with the way you worded your profile...

Or perhaps she will meet a neo-conservative out there somewhere!

The good news is, that within 1-2 generations the arrogance begins to disappear. The children and grandchildren become quite comfortable and accustomed to the lifestyle that their insecure elders have fought so vehemently to protect....LOL! and generally....REBEL!

I don't know, the elitest in this country are trying so hard for seperation of the classes (divide & conquer) & turn the US into another Mexico.

OP, maybe these good folks can't find jobs...do u follow the news? Do u know what is going on in our country today? Many of the Steel Mills have closed and moved overseas where labor and steel production is less expensive. ... Unemployment rate in this country is 9.7% last time I checked. Many highly educated, hard working people have lost their jobs.

Perhaps all these people should learn 'real' skills how to eloquently push a pencil, & deligate mundane responsibilities to others.

surfergrlfly
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/27/2010 12:19:34 PM
^^^^^What I meant by "hard working" is that people from ALL walks of life who work hard are unemployed... The area she lives in is highly industrial and we all know industry is hurting... The simple fact is the 80's was a time of economic prosperity. We, obviously, do not have that today!
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2010 2:24:43 PM
^^^^^ Great post John!
 ~~Jackie~~
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/27/2010 4:57:38 PM
The only good thing I saw in her profile-- we in Ohio don't have to claim her: her address is listed as PA!!
Show ALL Forums  > Ohio  > Where do the upscale Penn-Ohio singles hide out?