Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > gone gluten free but cant lose weight      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 happygal_28
Msg: 1
view profile
History
gone gluten free but cant lose weightPage 1 of 1    
OK, first off, I didnt go gluten free because I want to lose weight, lol. I was wanting to lose some weight before I was diagnosed gluten intolerant. I'm doing my best to be GF. I find it REALLY makes a difference in how I feel physically and maybe even mentally. With a few minor slip ups I have been GF for about 9 weeks.

I am finding most junky things I used to love were a wonderful and tasty combination of wheat and sugar and, having cut out gluten, I have also dramatically reduced my sugar intake. This is good

However, simply adding ground flax just doesnt replace for me the fiber value of whole wheat (which I used to love before I experienced how much it was hurting my gut). Rice pasta, potatoes, and cooking with rice, potato and tapioca flours is an enjoyable 'challenge' but all that "white stuff" isnt great for the diet either. I find them mostly void of nutritional value. I just cant seem to feel full on only veggies and meats. I also need some quick lunch meal ideas because I work full time and dont have time to cook at lunch. That and I'm still cooking regular food for my family.

Any suggestions? I can find recipes online. What I'm looking for is ideas and variety.
Thanks!!
 TheReason_
Msg: 2
view profile
History
gone gluten free but cant lose weight
Posted: 2/27/2010 6:29:26 PM
Cook extra at supper, and then bring the leftovers to work.

:)
 happygal_28
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2010 6:56:42 PM
Thanks jwg, I know the formula, having calculated my "goals" on a regular basis LOL. I appreciate your reply. I am just now trying to balance life, work, family and my elliptical machine with the need for a huge dietary change, all while trying to learn to menu-plan which foods wont make me ill. Staying at my optimum weight was EASY before a sit down job, 2 kids, turning 40 and having my fav high fiber foods banned! (First 3 were planned and do-able, GF was a glitch!)
 happygal_28
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2010 7:00:32 PM
Thanks, TheReason - I do this frequently but sometimes I just wish for something that's not a repeat of the meals before...

I have taken to experimenting with bread recipes to make myself a sandwich LOL. Too bad my preference was always wraps! (and dont tell me about corn tortillas, I cant seem to tell the difference between them and cardboard )
 TheReason_
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2010 7:23:07 PM
Yeah, corn tortillas always seem to fall apart. But that's because, again, there's no glutien to hold them together.

Here's a recipe, it's for something called cloud bread. I haven't tried it mind you, but I will soon...

Copied from an email....

Cloud Bread

RECIPE:
Three Whole Eggs, CAREFULLY SEPARATED (whites apart from yolks)
3 Tablespoons Whole-Fat Cottage Cheese
1/4 teaspoon of Cream of Tartar
2 teaspoons of sweetener (Splenda)

Separate the whites and the yolks of 3 eggs CAREFULLY (I put the whites in one mixing bowl, and the yolks in another) - the key is DON'T GET ANY OF THE YOLKS INTO THE WHITES. Add 1/4 teaspoon of Cream of Tartar to the whites and beat the whites on high speed until they are fluffy and form nice peaks. In the other bowl, smoothly mix together the egg yolks, the 3 TBSP of Cottage Cheese and the splenda until smooth. Now, CAREFULLY fold this mixture into the egg whites until well mixed, but try and not break down the fluffiness of the egg whites too much.

Spray two cookie sheets with Pam or other fat-free cooking spray. With a large spoon, scoop the mixture into 10 even rounds on the sheets. A good rule of thumb when doing this, is to envision how the top-half of the McDonald's Happy Meal hamburger bun looks - you know, about 3/4 inch thick and 4 to 5 inches across.

Bake in to a 300-degree oven, on the middle rack. You must watch them closely- I have never had any batch cook for the same length of time. It is somewhere around 30 minutes, but it could be less or more. You just need to watch them until them become golden brown, the COLOR of a McDonalds Hamburger bun -

Remove from the pans and cool on a rack or cutting board. At first they are crumbly and kind of stiff like cooked meringue - but don't let this fool you! ONCE THEY ARE TOTALLY COOL, seal them up into tupperware OVER NIGHT. They will totally change their consistency, to something much more like bread - a softer texture that is nice and chewy.

Since the sides that were facing the pan are perfectly flat, you use these to spread things on, or make sandwiches, or even as a burger bun! You can put them in the toaster, put garlic butter on them and pop them in the oven-- The choice is up to you, and you will be quite amazed at how much like a bun these really are!

HERE IS THE NUTRITION FOR THE *WHOLE* BATCH OF 10 - of course, you eat how ever many you want, and then divide-up the nutrition:

WHOLE BATCH
Calories: 230
Total Fat: 15 g
Total Carbs: 1.5 g
Protein: 18 g

*this recipe is a bit tricky the first couple of times you make it- but once you get the hang of it its not too bad. I make a batch every Sunday and eat them all week. I rarely go a day without having one.

I made a variation today- instead of the cottage cheese I used 3 ounces of cream cheese, cold and only 1/2 teaspoon of splenda-- and it worked great! I think I like them better with the cream cheese.

Good luck, and be sure to let me know how you like them.

Take Care,
Deanna
 happygal_28
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2010 7:42:55 PM
@ lil brooker - I totally am not equating GF with white stuff. "White stuff" is all that starchy junk the 'diet people' say is crap - sugar, flour, starch etc. This is a major food revolution for me and my apologies for short-forming my idea. But POF is a goldmine of fantastic and helpful people, so can you blame me for looking for hints and 'shortcuts'? I have been away from POF so long I cant actually remember but the people here are real, genuine, amazing and respond FAST so this is why I thought to ask.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/27/2010 10:37:12 PM
then don't use potato or white rice flour... seems like a pretty simple solution.

You can buy gluten free oats. Oat flour is fantastic for baking. There's also millet, buckwheat, quinoa, bean, teff, seed and nut flours available. Nut and seed flours are generally incredibly high in fibre. I'm wheat intolerant, but not gluten intolerant, though I do try to limit my gluten intake.

If you replace gluten with nothing but a lot of refined starches, you're not likely to lose weight. The 'calorie' formula is a joke. Eat real food, and you don't actually have to count calories, as your body know how to process the food.
 arwen52
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2010 7:27:55 PM
If you are looking for other high-fiber foods, here is a list from the Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-fiber-foods/nu00582

You can use lettuce to make wraps. No gluten and it's low calorie.

Losing weight is simple - you have to burn more calories than you take in. However, it is *not* easy, as one poster insisted. If it were, obesity would not be epidemic.
 happygal_28
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2010 5:39:46 PM
@ arnwen52 - thanks for the link and the lettuce wrap suggestion that was so simple I didnt even think of it! I will definitely be using that!! These are the types of ideas of was hoping for during the frustrated moment that I posted this thread.

@ getanet - my kids aren't open to trying things like quinoa and such. They think it looks "gross" LOL. I often cook them a "quick" meal with meat, veggies and pasta but there is usually at least one component I can't have that I sub for. I am pleased that I dont often "crave" what they are having (pasta was my fave) but I feel SO much better when I'm GF that it's a small sacrifice. I have always cooked from scratch so it's only finding the time to menu-plan that I struggle with. Yeah - I HATE menu planning! That's my biggest issue!
 happygal_28
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2010 5:43:06 PM
cant wait to try this recipe - in all my hunting I havent seen anything like this! Thank you!!
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > gone gluten free but cant lose weight