Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Wither the CD?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Wither the CD? Page 1 of 1    
Sadly, the days of mom and pop record stores that carry any deep catalog titles are quickly going the route of the horse and buggy. All the major chains carry is the latest disc and possibly a greatest hits title by bands that are proven sellers, along with a few up and coming "new" artists the labels are trying to break nationally. Unfortunetly the only way to find out about new artists is the internet. It's the major labels and radio stations own fault for trying to force-feed crap that nobody but 14 year old girls want to hear down America's throat for far too long.

I don't thik you will see the end of the CD anytime soon, but the fact that Itunes just celebrated their 10 billionth download doesn't bode well for the industry. I still think there are enough people out there that actually want to own the album to keep the CD afloat for a few more years. But if the industry doesn't start getting behind some music that has lasting entertainment quality (meaning, the music is so disposable that after three weeks no one wants to hear it again) they are going to find themselves looking for a new paycheck.
 Strings6
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Wither the CD?
Posted: 2/28/2010 4:27:38 PM
We are perhaps seeing the end of the album...for years albums were bought on the strength of one or two songs..only a handfull of bands could do better than that...what i think is coming is the age of the single...bands will produce one song at a time that will either sell or it won't..which means formula will also rule and music will further deteriorate....singles have always carried alot of weight in a band or musicians success...now it could determine it completely.....too bad.
 Strings6
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Wither the CD?
Posted: 3/1/2010 5:40:00 PM
to those who think music should be free...congratulations...now most of it is worth it
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Wither the CD?
Posted: 3/1/2010 7:51:57 PM
Well, there are two sides (IMO) to the "music being free" argument. I think if an album is long out of print and a record company doesn't see enough dollar signs to commit to re-issuing it, yeah, why not. Somebody might just enjoy it and I don't see an issue with giving it away. But if the music still has a "dollar" value, and might possibly encourage said band to produce more of that music, or for the owner of the rights to that music producing more artists that might be enjoyed by millions, then I think that is a different story.

I will argee that most pop music is quite disposable and has a very short shelf life. But every now and then an artist comes along that makes it worth sifting through the garbage to find them. Like anything else in life, those disposable pop groups that rake in the millions support those one in a million artists who pop up every blue moon. For every Bob Dylan there had to be a bunch of Donovans. For every Beatles there had to be a bunch of Herman's Hermits. In today's world, for every Queens of the Stone Age there has to be a bunch of Hilary Duffs.

The truth to the matter is, no performer is really making any money on their albums anyways (at least the first few years/albums and not many artists get beyond a few of either anyways). The live venues is where they make the money, and unfortunetly, without one it's real hard to make good on the other.
 newdejavu
Msg: 8
Wither the CD?
Posted: 3/4/2010 2:22:20 PM
I've found very few CDs that have more than a couple of good songs on them. For that reason, I prefer paying for music downloads on a track by track basis. Of course, some are "album only" downloads, etc. But, you can find most CDs on Amazon; many used copies are affordable on their Marketplace. I've had good luck purchasing my CDs from them.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Wither the CD?
Posted: 3/5/2010 3:15:43 AM
I will continue to buy CD's as long as I possibly can. Personally, I just enjoy owning something concrete as opposed to paying for a download.

I'm the same.

For some years now, record companies have released new CDs that are sometimes packaged with limited edition extras (dvds, extra cd(s) of live music, extra tracks, or just featured artwork etc) in order to try keep interest in cds. Even as far as releasing limted "tour edition" cds with extras in various markets. In the long term, probably a lost cause.

Twill348
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Wither the CD?
Posted: 3/5/2010 8:14:44 PM
Downloads are a rip-off, they are all in the mp3 format, or the Crapple equivalant. Cd gives you the lossless files. Really, compare a CD song to the mp3, the mp3 is dog crap.
 Ska_Voovie
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Wither the CD?
Posted: 3/8/2010 1:18:07 PM
been watching this thread with interest !
personally, i've never downloaded any music , other than to check out [or pass on] stuff on YT ,
only ever bought cd's of the net once - what a soulless expereince that was !!,
my idea of a good day out ?
hop on a train into my local city ,
have a wander round the 6 [ at least] independent record shops ,
shoot the breeze - the shop staff know me now [ after 40 years] and recommend stuff i may like ,
buy some cd's
have a beer our 2 ,
get home , listen to them over the next few days & work out what i'll playout next time i'm dj'ing !!
PERFIK !!
its worth buying a cd for that 1 tune - coz there's bound to be other goodies as an added bonus imho ,
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Wither the CD?