Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > How do you deal with anachronisms      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 impohell.
Msg: 1
How do you deal with anachronismsPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
In the course of reading threads beyond this Old Folks Home called "Over 45" do you ever see in yourself or others what appears to be a complete or nearly complete throwback to an earlier time, and if so, do you view it as a good thing, a bad thing, a mixed blessing, or do you seek to modify certain aspects of it?
 FriendlyFreeSpirit
Msg: 2
How do you deal with anachronisms
Posted: 2/28/2010 3:37:48 PM
It's a terrifying thing. I've seen my youthful doppelganger here and though I admired her trim body, innocent smile and springy curls, I wanted to take her by the shoulders and yell "Don't date any men called DENIS".
Unfortunately, the stupid b1tch wouldn't listen to me.
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2010 3:54:33 PM

do you view it as a good thing, a bad thing, a mixed blessing, or do you seek to modify certain aspects of it?

I think every generation once they reach the late 40's and beyond want relive vestiges of their youth. It makes them comfortable and secure. Obviously there will be some modifications to this caused by age and wisdom (hope).
 I sure am looking!
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/28/2010 4:28:54 PM
Yes I do see that. There seems to be mixed feelings from both genders as to what is expected of each other and how we are to conduct ourselves in this 2010 dating world. I think we all want to move into this new world of dating but are scared or plainly don't know what to expect or do.
 NowSucksLess
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/28/2010 4:30:00 PM
Get off my damn lawn, you kids!

Errr...what were we talking about?

DENIS
 artist_48
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/28/2010 4:49:10 PM
No, OP, I really don't. I'm still who I was with more life experience , and I leave the things like figuring out the 'dating game' to the younger generation and really haven't drawn any parallels from it.

Btw, I'm wanting to message you if you care to chat but I can't contact you.
 Dancing_4_You
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2010 9:16:46 PM
although i've learned to play the game and speak the language, i've always been sort of an anachronism. so, not sure for me, it's about age. now, how to deal with me? that is an interesting challenge i suppose. the men in my life, who cared for me, just smirked.

as to my kids, sometimes i think they are stark raving mad. then i look at other kids and not much different. we were of the 60's, filled with hope and daring to make a better world. my kids are of the "whatever" generation. i have a real hard time dealing with the attitude. maybe when they get past 23, things will come together better.

there is a tv documentary on the babyboomers coming up. we are the flower power generation and for many of us, are blinded by the headlights today. it will be interesting to hear the different perspectives. that is why i like to hang out with some of the younger university folk. some of them, a bit older than mine, still have some dreams and aspirations. but, they are the creme de creme intellectually. will they put their money where their mouths are? time will tell.
 SensualVixenX
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/28/2010 10:21:07 PM
To answer the question, I usually ask a male friend to come over and kill it with a newspaper.....
 Calientecutie
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/1/2010 12:05:28 AM
age is only a number
i feel more confident now than twenty years ago
yes i had a better body and more energy
but now i have more spirituality and wisdom
 Molly Maude
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2010 12:33:20 AM
I agree with Sensual Vixen ... but ... sometimes when you see an anachronism ... you can just spray it with Windex and it will curl up and/or go away ... then you don't have to deal with it ...
 Chill Pill
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/1/2010 1:32:21 AM
I'll give you my skinney on it if you can dig it. Some may think I'm bogue , dude but I'm Chill and I think ur post is bytchen. It's a bummer that the kids now a days come to my crib, man, you know and they spaz sometimes for shizzle when I start talking bout back in the day.

I'm Mom now but I was a bangin fox I mean I was freaky deaky. They look at me like an old lady man, you know, like they are trippin. I'm not jonesin to fit in I keep on keepin on but man, you know keepin it real is heavy.

It's a harsh bong man when you gotta realize your not so hip any more. I mean they can dig I was into the hippie letace and sometime I confess to still wantin to funk it out and pass the J bar, but these kids now got bluntz and it's hard core. That cigar wrap just kills the sweet gravy, you know. I mean why burn?

I tell them be there or be square and they laugh at me. I mean man, the rabbit died and these kids just took over with a whole new jive talking language. For shyt, I don't know what their talking bout, you know. Like. I try to get down with them and on the flip side is not always sounding like a cheeze weasel but for sure it makes me feel older than dirt.

I mean when your kids toys are now considered vintage, I get tricked out and think I'm an old skeezer. I'm not tattered by it man, but you know bro its just in your face. I don't wanna be the putz now, but I'm shittin myself. Like for real? My talk to them is like old bad Daddy sayin scram, hit the road. You know your in trouble too when have nt ne idea relleee wtf they are texting? L2g idk idc lemeno. WTF?

I mean is the gap really that wide? Shytta? I'd like to see myself as bad but may the force be with you is a dying catch phrase. I sometimes catch myself before I say Goodnite John boy or Let's blow this taco stand... but then, you know I thinkI'm gettin down and something slips out like "Dont have a cow"

They still come to my pad to hang out and I may toke with them but I don't bogart the jive because Damn it Jim, they just don't understand me! you know man.

Psyche!!!
 SensualVixenX
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/1/2010 1:44:10 AM
^^^^wow, rad.......
 BBQ Spider
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/1/2010 4:19:25 AM
Dude, lay off the reefer. What does this question even mean?
 blueyesrsmiling
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/1/2010 5:05:19 AM
I still wear Levi's does that count? I no longer wear halters.......say "Let's Boogie" Or "Never straight.....forward.......instead. Some of it is idyllic.....I will be doing something and I am thrown back to thoughts and feelings of my teenage years....
But most of the time I still in the present.....and I enjoy it. Its my Daughter and the younger generation's turn to make The New World theirs...
But I remember a time that my political views I was considered very Liberal.....now its old fashioned.....that one hurt.
 Kranck
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/1/2010 5:35:57 AM
Some of the attitudes in here sound like they came from the fifties - toward sexuality, particularly women’s sexuality. Sometimes I comment. I usually just move on.
 SensualVixenX
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/1/2010 5:51:07 AM
^^^^^I know for sure my Mom had sex in the 50's or I wouldn't be here typing this.............
 rearguard*2
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2010 6:30:32 AM
Mostly I find that the influence of my parents on me has been quite strong. I find myself recalling the words of wisdom that they imparted and then passing them on to my kids. Certain things characteristic of my own life, like multiple sex partners, divorces, focus on economic issues, mobility, disposable relationships, and the various waves of political correctness that have gone on, to be things that really have not brought a lot of value to me, and in the long run have had little effect on the basic patterns of life.

While the previous generations have certainly had their own problems, there are a few constant values and good strategies out there that have probably been passed on for millenia from parent to child. In a sense they are limiting, but they are also liberating. Most of the external influences, for instance, can not, and have not, had an effect on the basics of relationships. You need to reproduce, hence, you need a sexual partner, hence you need to form a working relationship with someone of the opposite sex. You need to eat, hence you need to have a job, hence you need skills and abilities, hence you need an education, hence you need to pay attention and be responsible for the management of your own time. You need to fit into society, hence you need to conform to the social norms and you need to develop behaviours that are socially acceptable and beneficial for you.

All of this must be passed on to the next generation, and while rebellion was evident in our own, the basics have not changed. Are the older ideas anachronistic? The superficial ones probably are, but they are largely irrelevant. The fundamental ones are not.
 ankkka
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/1/2010 7:13:44 AM
I don't see any anachronisms in my private life...However...around the world nothing changed.
Right now we have more slavery than long time ago...life costs $50 or less...
People...children are treated worst than cattle...
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2010 8:42:32 AM
First thing I do is pull up an online dictionary to try to figure out what he!! the OP is talking about. Anachronism is an example of its own definition- ancient Greek- lol.

To me it is like looking a ancient old play on a modern stage. Strip away the new props, the modern vernacular and you have the same old actors repeating the eternal human themes and dramas here on the forums.

Its nice to see the new generation come up with there own expressions otherwise we would all be talking like we did in the 1940, 50 and 60's. Sometimes old expressions even resurface although slightly mangled in the process.

I still argue that "dude" is only for guys and pull out my ancient (1990's) paper dictionary and try to show the kids. They just scoff at me and my dusty book - we're both too primitive and archaic to be correct.

Some day they'll learn. I just sit back and listen to a song by the Bare Naked Ladies - "It's All been Done Before" and
 kari135
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2010 8:51:41 AM
Mostly I seem to make pets of them, like other little unwanted furry things. Eventually they start getting along and curl up in a big ball, all sleeping quietly together, unless something startles them back awake. Then they jostle around, wanting attention and reassurance, and finally go back to sleep again.
 Chill Pill
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/1/2010 9:10:18 AM
Reminds me of a song ... by Peter Allen " Everything Old is New Again"

When trumpets were mellow
And every gal only had one fellow
No need to remember when
'Cause everything old is new again

Dancin' at church, Long Island jazzy parties
Waiter bring us some more Baccardi
We'll order now what they ordered then
'Cause everything old is new agian

Get out your white suit, your tap shoes and tails
Let's go backwards when forward fails
And movie stars you thought were alone then
Now are framed beside your bed

Don't throw the pa-ast away
You might need it some rainy day
Dreams can come true again
When everything old is new again

Get out your white suit, your tap shoes and tails
Put it on backwards when forward fails
Better leave Greta Garbo alone
Be a movie star on your own

And do-on't throw the past away
You might need it some other rainy day
Dreams can come true again
When everything old is new again
When everything old i-is new-ew a-again

I might fa-all in love wi-ith you again
 Free-At-Last
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/1/2010 11:50:09 AM

I try to hang out with people my own age or older.
Have you ever tried to explain to a 20 year old what a typewriter is?
 FriendlyFreeSpirit
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/1/2010 11:52:45 AM
^^My daughter bought one on eBay for $20.
She thinks it's an antique..lol..
(Who'd ever want to go back to typewriters, anyway? Remember carbon copies? Remember that white-out stuff that one of The Monkeys mother's invented? Sometimes, the past is not better than the present.)
 Vicshe
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/1/2010 11:59:02 AM
Everything comes and goes,
Marked by lovers and styles of clothes.
Things that you held high
And told yourself were true,
Lost or changing as the days come down to you....
~ Joni Mitchell

In what sense, OP? Could you give an example?
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/1/2010 2:39:32 PM
IMP, your temporary resurrections and chameleonic metamorphoses make my head spin!

To answer the question, yeah I’m a throwback to older times. I find the incessant change of rules confusing, and at times I long for days when there were more clear roles for males and females. When I was little even when I was young, I thought I had a pretty good idea of how things worked – not anymore. It’s not a bad thing, but somehow problematic trying to find a balance between what’s considered needy and independent, not romantic enough or mushy, not feminine enough and catty, etc.. For the most part being myself doesn't work any miracles...People’s relations are never simple even when there are no drastic changes.
I’ d say it is also a blessing, because if things remained the same for ever we would be all bored to extinction.
Modify? The modifications happen as I age anyway, I don’t have to force them…

Challenge builds character, n’est pas?

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > How do you deal with anachronisms