Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Paying attention to the world around you      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bipolarintense
Msg: 1
Paying attention to the world around youPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
After reading this news story it made me wonder.

Man electrocuted by urinating on power line

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

MONTESANO, Wash. (AP) — Authorities believe a Washington man was killed by accidentally urinating on a downed power line after a car crash.

Grays Harbor County sheriff’s Deputy Dave Pimentel said Monday 50-year-old Roy Messenger was not seriously hurt after he collided with a power pole Friday and called a relative to pull his car from a ditch.

However, family members found Messenger electrocuted when they arrived.

Pimentel says Messenger apparently urinated into a roadside ditch but didn’t see the live wire. The urine stream likely served as a conductor, allowing the electricity to reach his body.

Pimentel says there will be an autopsy but burn marks indicated the way the electricity traveled through Messenger’s body.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2010/03/01/13071601-ap.html

Now it doesn't really matter if this happened during the day or night, if you hit a power pole you can expect the power lines might fall down.

It could be just a case of lack of common sense but hitting a power pole isn't very common for most people.

Do find that some people don't pay enough attention to the world around them?
 StatlerandWaldorf
Msg: 2
Paying attention to the world around you
Posted: 3/2/2010 6:52:17 AM

Do find that some people don't pay enough attention to the world around them?

Sure, but I think this story is more of an example of temporarily muddled thinking as a result of post-trauma shock which uh....in this case led to a different kind of shock.
 justwant2no
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/2/2010 7:05:30 AM
I'm thinking the muddled thinking was probably brought on by the alcohol that caused the accident in the first place (hence the need to take a pee).
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/2/2010 7:08:10 AM
^^One more vote for drunk. I would hope a sober person could avoid standing in his own urine.
 Revilors
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/2/2010 7:32:22 AM

^^One more vote for drunk. I would hope a sober person could avoid standing in his own urine.

I agree he was probably wasted. But...he didn't have to be standing in the urine. There is enough salt in urine to make it an excellent conductor.

I suspect it took a direct path to his tool.

In some circles...that is considered sex play......munus a few thousand volts.

Well...it's really not the volts that get you....it's the amps
 cookie22222
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2010 7:50:13 AM
Hmmm...I don't think I'm quite that bad, but I have walked past my own mother at the grocery store.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/2/2010 8:36:42 AM
LOL--I also walk right by people I know, usually because I'm deep in thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47LCLoidJh4

Humans have too much going on INSIDE their heads, so, yes, I often think people don't notice a LOT of what's going on around them. They train you to scan your surroundings in security work. The reason they must TRAIN people is that most people don't do it naturally. The reason most people don't do it naturally is that we really don't HAVE to know EVERYTHING that's going on. The reason we don't have to know everything that's going on is because we don't have too many predators about. We have the luxury of being oblivious to our surroundings.
 luckyhot777s
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/2/2010 9:04:50 AM
Believe it or not....I was watching the discovery channel....it was about these huge catfish in other parts of the world....it explained how almost shark like these fish can be, the huge ones.

Anyway they were trying to figure out how this one guy got taken under by a huge cat fish....in the end they came up with him pissing knee deep in the catfish infested waters...the sound attracted the fish, it saw what it thought was a large worm....and Gulp.

rotflmao....yes, being he was native to this area, he should have known better.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2010 9:37:10 AM
Sounds like two more contenders for the Darwin Awards.
We just had a gent electrocute himself while trying to steal live wires from a sub-station for the copper.

http://www.darwinawards.com/
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/2/2010 9:47:18 AM
Pimentel says Messenger apparently urinated into a roadside ditch but didn’t see the live wire. The urine stream likely served as a conductor, allowing the electricity to reach his body.

Highly unlikely as urine does not have a streamlined flow and is a broke stream.

One would have to touch or be very near (less than 10cm's) away from power source for the arc to travel along urine stream.

This guy did not die from peeing on a power line, he probably fell on it and then urinated as a result of the electrocution.

One more case of the media reporting and drawing conclusions based on circumstantial evidence and people top fast to forward it and not smart enough to question it.
 MischievouslyPlayful
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/2/2010 9:55:22 AM
It's called Survival of the Fittest! One down...100,000 more to go...
 Twilightslove
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2010 7:02:04 PM
My father had a slight concussion after a car wreck. No one knew by the way he was acting right after the wreck. He managed to get my mom and my brother out of the car, wave down help, etc. It wasn't till they got to the hospital that the concussion was found. He didn't remember anything of the wreck or what he had done afterward to make sure my mom and brother were safely out of the car. My mom had glass in her eye and it was bleeding. She lost her eyesight from it. My brother was fine.

This man certainly might have had the same problem especially after hitting a utility pole or he could have been drinking.
 JWG86
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/3/2010 7:11:09 PM
Meh, if someone/something doesn't appear to be a threat, I ignore them unless they initiate interaction.
 daynadaze
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2010 10:00:40 PM
Was he sober? Was he normally not too bright? Was he just shook up and maybe made a really bad decision after making a poor driving decision. I don't know the answer but the fact that he hit a pole doesn't bode well to him being a person who had good common sense.
 raxarsr
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2010 11:05:03 PM
i saw that mythbusters show.........and ...well...............just let me say from personal experiance........they got it wrong...............lol....no..it wasnt me........but me and my buddy talked his younger brother into peeing on an electric fence..............it knocked him down .............[we both got grounded for 2 weeks and it took another 6 months till the kid brother would even think about trusting us again]

another thing............the more voltage there is......the farther it can "jump".............if he peed on a 10,000 volt line........yup.....it could happen
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2010 6:11:17 AM
I was the designated electric fence tester on the farm. If you placed the weed or grass with the right amount of dryness on the wire you would get a tingle to let you know that stretch was working. We got a new "weed burner" fencer that was supposed to be self maintaining if things grew up into the wire. Dad thought it would be funny to grab a green one and hand it to his trusting son to test the wire. He and my brother laughed for decades about how far away it knocked me on my butt.

Another time I was looking for hilly pastures to use for teaching hang gliding. I was at a ski slope in the summer, running downhill (sans glider) through the tall dewey grass. I was literally shocked, to find that there was suddenly a mowed section down the hill where there was an electric fence. Before I could stop, I hit the fence as waist level, soaked from the dew, and hanging over the fence convulsing for a brief eternity before my bud could pull me off via the dry clothing. Have also been knocked 20 feet away while working on a house and sweaty, arching with the power supply when I got just a little to close. Electricity is to be respected and it does really odd things at times.
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/4/2010 6:23:17 AM

we both got grounded

Given the topic of discussion, there's a couple ways to interpret that.
 TooShadows
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2010 6:23:55 AM
Well,as I peed on many an electric fence on the farm when I was young and dumb,but I never got so much as a tingle. I'm thinking you'd have to be very close,like just a few inches.
 readyfornow
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2010 10:06:39 AM
Another vote for drunk/wasted.
 bipolarintense
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/4/2010 8:23:55 PM
Originally published March 4, 2010 at 8:55 AM | Page modified March 4, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Elma man was electrocuted through hand, not urine

The Associated Press

Related

Archive | Wash. man electrocuted by urinating on power line
MONTESANO, Wash. —
The Grays Harbor County sheriff's office says autopsy results show that an Elma man who was killed by touching a downed power line was electrocuted through his hand and not through his urine stream as first suspected.

Chief Deputy Dave Pimentel said the results Wednesday showed 50-year-old Roy Messenger touched the wire with his left hand and the current shot through his body to his feet.

Pimentel said Thursday that Messenger may have been urinating at the time but it had nothing to do with his death.

Messenger had collided with a power pole Friday night, knocking down the wire, and had called relatives to help pull is car out of the ditch.

When relatives found him dead it appeared that he had urinated on the downed wire.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011254559_apwaurineelectrocution.html
 chameleonf
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/5/2010 12:11:30 AM
Then I suppose a dog I had years ago must have been extremely close. He was a puppy at the time and for some reason, during house breaking, decided to lift his leg on the wall, and he was just the right height for the electrical outlet. A yelp and a blackened wall around the recepticle was the result, along with a dog that never again urnitated in the house. Disclaimer: I do not recommend this as a house breaking technique.
 TooShadows
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2010 5:32:37 AM
My brother has been having trouble getting my niece's pug to house train. Now I'm going to recommend electrifying the puppy pad.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Paying attention to the world around you