Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why are so many unemployeed      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FL CO
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Why are so many unemployeedPage 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Why are so many people unemployeed when you can open up the paper and there's tons of job listings. Even in my small town (two traffic lights) there's a half a page full of jobs for the area I live in and a few of the nearby cities. A buddy of mine just got back from college and applied to a couple of places until he got the job that he really wanted. He had a job within a few weeks. His training pay was about $9 an hour so its not great, but better than minimum wage, and some income is better than no income. Is it that people just aren't willing to even concider these jobs, unqualified and unwilling to go through any kind of training no matter how short of a timeframe they can complete it in or what.
 FL CO
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Why are so many unemployeed
Posted: 3/2/2010 7:55:28 AM
I'm not saying that some areas aren't worse than others. Simply that people should be willing to take what they can get until something better comes along. My friend didn't hold out until he found a job in the career that he wanted. He started working while applying and interviewing with other jobs. His choosen career is one that has a long interview process and he understands that
 cookie22222
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2010 7:57:32 AM
Well OP, my son is having a difficult time finding work - I can tell you that for the past year or so - there are under half a dozen listings in the local paper here. There are other ones - such as for RNs or other medical personnel, or teachers - something that requires experience/education that he doesn't have. Otherwise - almost nothing.

FYI OP to your second post; my son has taken temporary jobs, and would and has accepted anything that has come his way - including doing home improvement projects for someone he "used" to work for, on weekends.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/2/2010 8:19:36 AM
Some of the rules of the welfare/socialized aid system are stupid--if you get a job above a certain pay, you lose all benefits, so it's actually like you took a pay cut to get a better job.

People who usually make $70k year obviously get more in benefits than they would if working at McD's.

What's weird around here, teens don't work at fast food restaurants any more. Most of the workers are adults. So it seems like teens can't get jobs any more.
 4408joseph
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2010 9:38:18 AM
The simple answer is.

Laziness, and self entitlement!!.

read here 2 threads away...

Government handing out a check for free ain't helping

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts13836684.aspx

"Oh, I'm to good for that job..attitude"

Society (IN America) has changed 180ยบ in the last 4 decades...

1) The Government has taxed us to death to take care of the lazy, which makes a single parent 40 hr/ week supporting a house almost impossible.. In other words My dad was working in 1962 at 2.45 hr and taking home 92.15... At that same scale today making 1000 a week he'd take home $943.88.. However most people making 1000 a week now would bring home 20% less or so..So TODAY Dad has to pick up a part time job , or Mom does to have the same spending power. Therefore taking job hours off the free market.

2) No value of the Family Unit anymore... Wherever there are split households...Separation/divorce.. There needs to be 2 households... Easy math.. 2 house,2 water/phone/ele/everthing...for the SAME FAMILY... Again meaning to support that there is on longer ONE person working for ONE family... often 4 or more jobs for 2 houses.. Therefore taking job hours off the free market.

3) We've been brainwashed that we need a lifestyle we don't.. Keeping up with the Jones....So there is 2 cars and MORE TV's every room, phones every room, cable and cable in every room. Over priced toys..kids and parents alike.. Cars that are really twice what we need.. Who wants a Saturn when Johnny big balls next door has a 75K hummer.Our lifestyle has out grown our budget.. WTF was a credit card 40 years ago.. You bought it when you had the money..This country pays gillizions in interest to banks for their selfish needs of instant gratification.. More bills out of the reach of the single job household. Therefore taking job hours off the free market.

These three basic things has doubled(in many cases more then doubled) the working hours to support the lifestyle back then. This in turn makes the job market tighter.

Sadly not only has our society gotten out of control with what it thinks it's entitled...so has our GOVERNMNET... The Government is running up a credit card bill like never before, and who is going to make those monthly payments??

But those hard working folks with realistic goals and lifestyles will do fine.. We pulled out of the depression 2 WW's and the 1970's
 4408joseph
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2010 10:01:20 AM

Do the math - if you have paid into that benefit for 20-30 years

Ummm what country is that??? In america I don't think anyone can show me where an unemployment deductions are on there pay sub, W-2, or 1099.

Is this system better ran outside the US..

I know in Australia to collect an unemployment check you are demanded to go to school or work at times.

How are you benefitting your children in that scenario? You aren't.

I beg to differ... Buy accepting responsibility you are instilling the moral value in them... taking responsibility Being self-sufficient. Both admirable traits in my eyes and ones I'd want to bring my children into the adult world with.

4408joseph
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2010 11:07:38 AM

In Canada EI deductions

Thanks for clearing that up..

If you give up 35K in unemployment benefits in favour of a 20K job, you are denying your family 15K in before-tax currency in the short-term.

If these numners are real.... which I find hard to believe,, I understand your point.

I have no idea how employment works in your country. Even in my country it's different from state to state...amount/time/extentions/etc.

I can bet a dollar to a doughtnut, no one in america can collect 35K tax free in a year.. That just ain't happening..(or even the 33,800 allowing for Can/Us exchange rate)

Ooops, not in canada either..

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/employment/ei/premium_rate/2010/appendix_6.shtml

Max is 23.7K ( max:457/week), and can only collect max 50 weeks
weekshttp://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/faq/faq_general.shtml#How

So your pretend senerio doesn't even seem to work out..

It was gonna be hard to debate not collecting 35K a year, but since it can't be done moot point.

I would say.... how in a year,as you put it "short term"?

I guess it all goes to morals and principals, simple for th fact even in Canada it's

Employment "Insurance"...not a personal kitty so to speak.
 4408joseph
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2010 11:50:17 AM

Economics would be the driving force actually.

I won't debate that,morals would take a back seat to CASH with most I'm sure.

I'm full hearted for hand up, not a hand out. I've said for years it's for the needy not the greedy.

As the OP asked why are so many unemployed, I bet the greedy out weight the needy by far.

From a long family of self employed, collecting has never been as issue. As being self employed and a total tax libility on the first 125K at close to 40% NOT including sole proprietor business taxes(based on property/equipment worth)... I am a firm believer in getting it back from the government... but again...the needy not the greedy.

So as a Canadian collecting on the dole, what do you do at the end of 50 weeks? Almost a year...

And I agree that because you pay into it, you are entitled to it - most certainly

Yes in the US some states do collect UI... I said I wasn't sure how all 51(PR also) went.. But in all fairness..

What do you think is owned you when Pennsylvania is collect at the rate of 6/10's of a percent...60 cents on every 100 dollars til 8,000 dollars????

At 20 dollars an hours thats less then 250 bucks in a whole year.
 slybandit
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/2/2010 12:11:51 PM
This is a very complex question.

1. The first element is information asymmetries.

The published job listings are actually the tip of the iceberg as far as the actual availability of jobs is concerned. Anyone who has ever found a position as a result of a friend's inside information and recommendation ought to realize this.

Many available positions remain unfilled because they are not publicized, simply because those who would do the hiring simply do not have the available time and resources to post advertisements and interview scores of people to find the person they think is the right one, only to have them stay very briefly and then quit, or be let go, because they are not the right person for the job. They "make do" with available staff until an actual recommendation with the skills to pay the bills becomes available.

2. A lot of jobs that are advertised, frankly, are advertised because they are undesirable. The pay may be unrewarding, the working conditions terrible, or the work atmosphere h*llish. They are being advertised because insiders have not snagged them or given their friends and/or relatives the inside track. People with dense social networks rarely have difficulty in finding employment, unless (like, say, tenure track PhD's) their actual employment niches are so specialized as to be quite rare.

3. People with particular qualifications, be those qualifications multiple languages, advanced or technical degrees, trade certifications, depth of experience or aptitude, would do serious damage to their careers to work at anything outside their field, but for various personal reasons may be unable or unwilling to move to where employment prospects are located. Personally, I have relocated across to the other side of the planet to get a job that I considered sufficiently desirable, but not everyone is that mobile or willing.

4. Social and emotional aptitude are key to many jobs. I'm not knocking auto salespeople, but other than some minimal knowledge of automobiles which you can easily pick up on the j0b (and a license to drive), there basically are no qualifications for the field, except one: the willingness and social skills to convince people to buy cars, and the economic recklessness to live off of commission sales. Shy introverts could drag themselves to do it, but they'll never be as successful as someone who is bold and self-confident with strangers. Plenty of jobs are actually like that: qualifications are not the issue, personality is the issue, and you are either a fit for that kind of job or you are not.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 10
Why are so many unemployed
Posted: 3/2/2010 1:51:40 PM
I'm living in a state with one of the highest unemployment rates.

Here, most of the listed jobs are either degreed positions, certified/specialty positions, or run of the mill positions but employers are asking for degrees. The rest are part time and there are more applicants than they can handle (it's common around here to never hear anything from applying for jobs). There are scams out there too right now, so you have to watch.

Also, while the economy tanked there were a lot of jobs that were eliminated for people who took a job out of HS and had it forever. Those people either don't have degrees, skills for another field or both. Most of those jobs were manufacturing oriented...

People who can get responses from employers go on three interviews and don't get called back, or take a job and need a second job to make ends meet. Most people seem to be going to school for a certification or degree because even jobs that never used to require a degree (reception, admin asst, office assistant, etc) are now asking for them.
 JWG86
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/2/2010 2:55:56 PM

Why are so many people unemployeed when you can open up the paper and there's tons of job listings. Even in my small town (two traffic lights) there's a half a page full of jobs for the area I live in and a few of the nearby cities. A buddy of mine just got back from college and applied to a couple of places until he got the job that he really wanted. He had a job within a few weeks. His training pay was about $9 an hour so its not great, but better than minimum wage, and some income is better than no income. Is it that people just aren't willing to even concider these jobs, unqualified and unwilling to go through any kind of training no matter how short of a timeframe they can complete it in or what.

I don't know how it is where you live, but here is what happened where I live:

GM is closing their plant down.
Lots of guys were employed there, making union wages. Good pay.
Their wives worked for WK Healthcare, our region's other large employer.
When hubby got canned, wifey went from part or per diem, to full-time to cover bills.
Hubby doesn't want to work for $9 an hour when he used to make $40 an hour. It seems stupid.
So he sits at home while planning to move where he can get a similar job/pay to what he held.
Local unemployment just went up.

That's just how I see it.
 FL CO
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2010 4:06:38 PM
Well, your viewing the world thru your eyes, what your eyes have seen don't reflect what others are going thru., What your eyes have seen is meerly limited to what you see and don't reflect what others see....There is more to this world than what you view from your perspective.

Simply meaning where others are there might not be availiable jobs at all....period. Unless you are in that situation, you wouldn't know this.

I know College doesn't teach everything....life is a great teacher too, and the farther one is from the apron strings of mom and dad, The more real work and responcibility not only for themselves, but others they have, experiencing pitfalls along with the glory.....the smarter they get.

I understand that not all locations are going to have the same oppritunities. However the locations that do shouldn't have the unemployment that they have. As far as being near the apron strings of mom and dad, I bought my first house at 19 and the only co-signer was my soon to be wife which was also 19 and had similiar credit as I did. I just recently bought another house on 4.5 acres lakefront completely on my own. My parents have helped out now and then, but have done almost everything on my own. As far as life experience I've got it. I'm not you're average 25yo

What's weird around here, teens don't work at fast food restaurants any more. Most of the workers are adults. So it seems like teens can't get jobs any more

Or they could just not need the money at the time and refuse to work at such a place. Thats what I did in my teen years. I cut lawns, raked leaves, washed cars etc until I got my first regular job which was at a specialty store.
 Strings6
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2010 4:11:16 PM
OP....you are a government employee in a growth industry...not all of us are so fortunate
 SexyKG74
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2010 4:21:38 PM
There are so many variables to this topic...of course this is such a hot topic now, here are some comments/situations that I've heard in recent months. I live in the NYC area, where the unemployment rate is 10.5%.

-Know a recruiter/headhunter. She said her business has slowed down dramatically because of lack of hiring. Her clients that are hiring are "cherry picking" the candidate's resumes she's sending them...because there are SO MANY people from ALL industries AND levels looking for work. She said she used to forward 3-5 resumes of qualified people to send for a 2nd interview to the actual company (candidates meet with her 1st)...now she ends up sending double the amount of resumes or more and the companys still don't want to interview the people. She thinks some of the companies end up hiring people on their own, so they don't have to pay her commission. Also, many headunters will keep posting the same jobs over and over (even daily) depending on the websites AND they will post the same types of ad but reword it on several websites! Also, even if they currently do not have an opening for a particular job, they will STILL post ads, just hoping they increase the amount of NEW resumes they receive to put in their database, so when the economy does pick up, they have a "headstart" with new candidates.

-I had a conversation with a business owner recently. He said he posted a job and he received resumes from about 100 people for one job (and counting). He knows the salary range he wants to pay. He said he bet he could get someone who previously made $100K a year and offer them $50K and they would take it, but he won't do that because in most cases that same person will leave for a better paying job once the economy gets better. It costs a company more to keep hiring people for the same position. Let's get real...most people, unless you are wealthy, cannot afford to take a 40% paycut. If you had to take it, you WOULD leave once you found something better, as your quality of life would suffer (and I'm not necessarily talking about extravegant things).

I have a friend who had to take a job making $30K less than her prior salary...and she's going into further debt every month...that's a MAJOR DROP! She IS looking for another job while working.

I have a friend with about 13 years experience and multiple degrees and a 3.7 GPA. They made around $95K a year and has been unemployed for over a year now. They have applied to a diverse variety of jobs, from assistant level jobs in her field (she was director level), to management level and up. She has also applied to jobs that are in different industries but similar skills. Believe it or not, she goes 3-4 months at a time without getting a single callback! And when she does interview and follows up, she's been told in so many words "they gave it to someone who could grow into the job, or someone who came from the EXACT industry...

Everyone's situation/environment is different...some people are just luckier than others...it's literally like a lottery, as you are often competing with a couple of hundred people for one position!

Yes we need to bite the bullet sometime, but if the economy doesn't improve to the point where people can get jobs where they aren't financially suffering still...there will be less disposable income...therefore a lot of industries will STILL suffer...

My $.02
 arwen52
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2010 5:33:10 PM
There was a job fair here and the number of people who showed up in proportion to the number of jobs available was overwhelming.

It depends on where you are. And what jobs are available. I've got friends with decades of experience in a field and degrees and they're working the floor in Circuit City or some place like that just to have some income.

Some people aren't qualified for the jobs available. And some people won't hire you if you're overqualified. They figure you won't stay if you find something better. I had a friend who worked in a research lab and got laid off. He applied for a lab job at a different university and he didn't have quite the qualifications for it. There was another job available for which he had more than the qualifications necessary. If he worked at that for a year or so, he'd have to qualifications to move into the higher position. They wouldn't hire him for the lesser job because he was overqualified for it. Crazy, no?
 SexyKG74
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2010 5:48:51 PM
"It is interesting that no one has brought up the issue of being over qualified"

When I mentioned my friend who didn't get the job because they chose someone who could "grow into the job," that's what I was referring to. She was previously a director, but has applied to jobs that were in her exact field but at manager, associate and even assistant level.

There are two types of "growing into the job": experience-wise and salary-wise. Let's say a company is willing to offer a salary of $55K for a job. There are two candidates: "Candidate A" meets and exceeds the requirements...but their prior title was a couple of notches higher AND their prior salary was $100K. "Candidate B" meets 80% of the requirements and had the exact same job/level wise as the open position, and their prior salary was $40K-$50K...you feel they can easily learn the other 20% within a few months. You've done extensive interviewing with both candidates and have checked references...both are stellar. Many companies would choose Candidate B, as they could grow into the position and are more likely to stay,as it is extremely likely "Candidate A" will likely only stay until they get a better paying job. In NYC, I don't know anyone who could make $100K one minute and then make $55K the next and still make ends meet...that's a HUGE drop...as it's extremely expensive to live here.

I remember after 9/11, one of my friends was a VP of Sales in the fashion industry. Her company was hiring for a sales coordinator, a job that is more for someone who is fresh out of college with a few great internships and/or 2 or 3 years entry-level experience. She told me she had a man who was out of work who had 20 years experience applying for the job...they didn't hire him as I was told "it wasn't realistic" to hire someone of that tenure for that type of position. Call it discrimination if you will...but I bet my last dollar similar situations are happening all the time in our country's current situation.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/2/2010 7:47:33 PM

It is interesting that no one hase brought up the issue of being over qualified.

I was on the phone when I last posted and forgot to mention this. I have quite a few friends who are either in school for a degree in a new field where an employer has told them they feel they won't stay once trained when the degree comes, and people who just plain have way too much experience and an employer won't hire them at less money or a lesser position, even in the same field as the resume - I suppose they fear that person will trade up when the opportunity arises. Can't say I blame them, but at the same time a person who's willing to work should be considered.
 SexyKG74
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2010 8:28:37 PM
"I suppose they fear that person will trade up when the opportunity arises. Can't say I blame them, but at the same time a person who's willing to work should be considered."

This is a challenging situation. What if the person was at an economic level where they lived a rather simple life and barely got by before they lost their job? Of course they would be thankful for getting a job, but if they were making even less with the new job, they would be a fool to not leave if a great opportunity came their way...whether several months later or even when the economy improved.

The only way it would "pay" for someone not to leave a situation if they ended up in a job that paid less is if there was major projected growth within the company which would allow them to possibly get promoted relatively soon...I'm sure it is a VERY stressful thing when you're unemployed for a long time and are in debt because of it...only to end up in a job that barely or doesn't help you make ends meet.

If a person made $60K annually, but had to take an hourly job not in their field that paid only $30K a year, of course most would struggle. So let's say (even hope) fast forward a year from now, an opportunity comes their way in their old field that paid around or even more than the $60K...I just don't know of many people in that type of situation who would pass on it...unless the company had an aweful reputation for treating their employees...

I look at my neigborhood, and nearby locations where I go for long walks on a regular basis...a month hasn't gone by within the past year where I notice another company (regardless of size or industry) going out of business.

I just came from a recreation center where I workout...I have one friend who goes there is in her early 50s and she was always an executive assistant or office manager...her last couple of jobs, she made in the $60K-$70K range...after being unemployed for about a year, she's now a sales associate probably making $8 or $9 per hour...another friend works for a government-supported company...their fiscal year ends this July, and they recently announced in July, they will have to let go of a lot of full-time employees...so she's looking now...maybe she will have luck because she's still employed.

Also, with people I'm talking with, many are saying the longer they are unemployed, the less they get callbacks...someone told me during a recent interview, she was asked "so what have you been doing all this time...what do you do all day!?!" (In a not so nice tone...almost as if my friend was to blame that she's not getting job offers...despite having solid experience and a college degree from a competitive NY college)...it's almost like "if the other companies don't want you, we don't want you either." In NYC, I think that mentality with companies is especially true.
 readyfornow
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2010 10:27:10 AM
What I'm seeing lately is a growing number of candidates who cannot or will not follow simple directions when filling out an application. Example, for work history, education and references they simply write "see resume". Wrong answers. Blocks on an application are there for a reason and should be filled out as part of the hiring process. What really amazes me is that some of these people actually want to argue the point of filling out an application in the first place. I realize people are stressed out these days, but a bad attitude will never get anybody considered, let alone hired for any position.
 Singleinlewistonidaho
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/5/2010 11:25:30 AM
Don't take a sub par job, I did, I followed the rules and took the first job I was offered while all my former lazy co workers are in school to become nurses, they have their CNA's but refuse to work till they are an RN. They play the system rather then follow the rules. I thought the system would crack down more then it does.

But now that I took a job I changed to another one. I sat home for the last 4 days and was not worked cause i am on call basis. They make sure to work me every week end. It all kinda sucks and I have no health insurence.

As for re distributing wealth? Wealth can be created out of raw materials. Re distributing wealth will not make everyone well to do. But for sure I wish everyone could afford to refuse to work for less pay then is needed to live on.

Mike
 OneBlend
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2010 7:35:11 PM
You can argue there are jobs out there that people aren't qualified for and the ones who are face serious competition. But remember, NAFTA and CAFTA created the job losses directly. Wake up.

http://www.petition2congress.com/2/2376/go/
http://www.infowars.com/u-s-lawmakers-launch-push-to-repeal-nafta/
 Sweet_Le_Senza
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2010 4:31:22 AM
^^

Last month the US unemployment rate was 9.7%!

Don't you find it funny that Obama didn't make a statement like 'you guys aren't looking hard enough!'

Sweet_Le_Senza
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2010 6:40:49 AM

Well, you figure that since the 70's we (Canada and the U.S.A.) started switching from a manufacturing based economy to a service based one. Doesn't mean that there still isn't a lot of manufacturing being done in either country, but there sure as hell is a lot more farmed out to foreign and cheaper countries then brought back here to be sold. Gov't and big business created our own demise

Bingo!! These CEO's are getting ridiculous amounts of money. The middle class is dissipating.
 FL CO
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2010 7:41:22 AM

Well there is at least 54 billion dollar surplus in the Unemployment Fund. We are entitled to it. It's the government's money it's ours yet we will probably never see most of it. The government could at least raise the benefits for people who aren't getting enough. Yet the government is making it harder to collect and you can wait up to 5 weeks to start collecting.
Funny part is the government is raising rates for UI when they have a surplus!

This post is hilarious. Have you looked into the national debt lately? Surplus. Yeah right. All it is is shifting money around to make it look like there's something there. Its people like you that feel entitled to everything thats driving this country down. Always sticking your hand out for more. They should be making it harded to collect. It'll keep down some of those who cheat the system. Up to 5 weeks to start collecting? So what. You should have a savings just in case something happens. Its recommended to have at least 3 months, with 6 months worth or more being ideal. Not to mention the fact that the millions that will be saved by not having to pay the people who are able to get a job within those 5 weeks.
 FL CO
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2010 7:01:09 PM

Judgemental much? You are a corrections officer - you come off like you are a CEO of a Fortune 500 company ... did it ever occur to you that you may be unemployed one day too?

Just not afraid of speaking the truth. I don't know what a CEO has to do with anything, but if you want to use that to try and make a point then ok. I could be unemployeed one day, but I'd either have to really screw up or the place I'm working at would have to shut down and there be no other openings nearby. There will always be criminals, so I have a pretty safe job as far as that goes
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why are so many unemployeed